• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Link: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...ation_chief_jim_ryan_is_silencing_his_critics

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is not a pantomime villain, but that's what he's been portrayed to be. The executive – guilty of toeing the company line on cross-play, for example – has long been the butt of enthusiast gamers' jokes. His biggest slip-up? An off-the-cuff remark about the original PSone Gran Turismo playable next to the PlayStation 4's Gran Turismo Sport. "Why would anyone want to play this?" he infamously said of the 1998 release.

It's a rhetorical question that will be repeated ad nauseam until the end of time, even if the context has long been lost. For many, this was Ryan speaking out against PlayStation's heritage; an early indication, perhaps, that its future consoles will not be backwards compatible. But the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible, and it's shaping up to be every inch the worthy successor to the organisation's current-gen console. In fact, against a chorus of criticism, the English suit appears to be getting everything right.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes, backwards compatibility. A move in the right direction.

I'm still not sold on the PS5 vs. whatever MS' next-gen console will be; especially in light of MS' continuing consumer-friendly approach, but this is a nice step.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Bit of a short blog post, little meat on those bones.
it's not just Layden who has left too, it has been a lot of front facing notable & admired folks.

Also, that wasn't his only questionable quote?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
He's been doing mostly the right things since he took over. The task of launching the PS5 remains to be seen tho. If he fucks up all of this is for nothing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 hasn't been unveiled or released yet. Its too early to make any decisions on Jim Ryan.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The dude has said some stupid crap before but that by no means is an indication that his vision for PS is bad and it's certainly not an indication that PS5 will suffer under him. I believe this business is less about the personalities behind it than people think.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That's such an odd headline... It makes it sound like he's secretly axing dissenters in his team or something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait until ps5 is actually out to make an article like this...

Yeah, this feels exceedingly premature. With a headline like that I thought it was going to be something more along the lines of Ryan firing people who don't share his vision but this feels more like a puff piece for someone who hasn't actually achieved anything yet.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Wait until ps5 is actually out to make an article like this...

You don't need to wait until PS5 to see what he doing so far is good.
Cross play has open more under him , there BC , he bought IG , bought down the price of PS Now .
Yes PS5 is a big part of the picture but a lot of stuff people were asking for \complaining about he has done stuff about it.
So far he look like he will do a good job and be ready to make changes when need to help with Sony next gen .

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
He's got some unfortunate quotes over the years (out of context or not), but he has always done well for SIEE and is saying all the right things in his new position. Putting Hulst in charge of WWS was a masterstroke, and Shu will be perfect working with indies

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There is one line from an article from jim ryan last month (psnow article i think), about how he will use his power to combat complacency in the company, and so far it shows, jim ryan is already making some major moves for the company in globalization efforts and improved communications in the last few months, while improving PSNow and dropping PSVue that was losing them money.

I think he knows what he sets out to do, just need to see if he can pull his new vision for the company off.

Feb 10, 2018
He's been doing mostly the right things since he took over. The task of launching the PS5 remains to be seen tho. If he fucks up all of this is for nothing.
It will be virtually impossible to fuck up, all he has to do is have hardware that is competitive in price, power and features.
Sony already has the devs, so they can just leave them to keep on delivering great games.

Nov 11, 2017
This reads like some fanboy bs, what has Jim Ryan even done to warrant a rating one way or another? All we have right now is him improving psnow, and firing people before the ps4 launch.

Edit: nvm it is some fanboy bs itd push square

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The PS5 being backwards compatible is hardly a work of genius. It would take a fuck up of Wii U, Xbox One reveal or Cell processor magnitude too stop the Playstation momentum.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is one line from an article from jim ryan last month (psnow article i think), about how he will use his power to combat complacency in the company, and so far it shows, jim ryan is already making some major moves for the company in globalization efforts and improved communications in the last few months, while improving PSNow and dropping PSVue that was losing them money.

I think he knows what he sets out to do, just need to see if he can pull his new vision for the company off.
i love how sony themselves talk about Sony getting complacent but if you mention that here you get people jumping over each other to quote and mock you.

Complacency is a thing and every generation leader from Sony (PS3), Microsoft (X1) and Nintendo (Wii U) has gotten complacent and fucked up. good to see Jim is aware of this even if era doesnt want to admit its a problem.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to wait until PS5 to see what he doing so far is good.
Cross play has open more under him , there BC , he bought IG , bought down the price of PS Now .
Yes PS5 is a big part of the picture but a lot of stuff people were asking for \complaining about he has done stuff about it.
So far he look like he will do a good job and be ready to make changes when need to help with Sony next gen .
Cross play happened because they could no long hold against dev complaints

not really a stunning endorsement

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Cross play happened because they could no long hold against dev complaints

not really a stunning endorsement

They could have waited until the start of the next gen .
It's not like the lack of cross play has hurt them sales wise and devs would have still put there games on there system.
Point is since he has become the head of PS there moving in a good direction IMO.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
He seems to be alright. We got Cerny on the PS5 too so that will probably end up awesome. If not, life goes on I guess.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
PushSquare - an outlet known for its Sony bias - prematurely declares the next PlayStation to be worthy to the PS4 and says Jim Ryan did nothing wrong.

More news at 11.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah I immediately thought he was going all Grand Moff Tarkin on his critics lol
giphy.gif

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
This reads like some fanboy bs, what has Jim Ryan even done to warrant a rating one way or another? All we have right now is him improving psnow, and firing people before the ps4 launch.

Gonna agree here. IMO it makes more sense to wait a while and see how things shape out - at least after the console has launched. It makes sense for PS5 to be BC if they want the userbase to move over, and would presumably be a lot easier than making PS4 BC with PS3, but even that doesn't necessarily mean it will work so well or be such a success in the end. After all the PS3 BC wound up not being a thing later on, and the PS2 on PS4 initiative doesn't seem to have been expanded as much as was hoped for.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine waking up and writing so much fluff based on nothing. Ryan is not "maligned" and he's not "silencing his critics."

"Chorus of criticism"

haha, what chorus?

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) Inappropriate joke
Title made me think he was inviting critics to HQ to disappear them Khashoggi-style.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, that headline certainly made me think the article would go a completely different direction lol.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SPOILER: It's gonna be a success.

I pretty much agree the Playstation brand is probably the strongest brand in the world, but we might be looking at a recession as consoles launch. If they are 499+ in a recession if he made the call to go with that price point and it struggles it could be a black mark on him. How pushes Sony into the cloud space is going to be a big one in the next five years.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I pretty much agree the Playstation brand is probably the strongest brand in the world, but we might be looking at a recession as consoles launch. If they are 499+ in a recession if he made the call to go with that price point and it struggles it could be a black mark on him. How pushes Sony into the cloud space is going to be a big one in the next five years.

I don't know that PlayStation is the strongest brand in the world, I think that honor goes to McDonald's or some shit, but it's certainly the strongest home video game console brand.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am imagining Jim Ryan's face in that daily mail "crush the saboteurs" headline instead of Teresa May

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
See, I told you Jim Ryan would come. Just like I said! He's gonna bring us food, and water, and smite our enemies!