• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kate Spade, Coach, or other?

• Kate Spade

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Coach

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 27.3%

• Total voters

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So I need to get a few purses for Christmas, budget around 300 to 400 for each one, but im not sure which brand is better. She's mentioned both brands, I know what Coach is obviously, (got my Mom a high end one for her 60th birthday), but never heard of Kate Spade. Google isn't much help in this department so people who own purses, which brand would you prefer?

Or is there a different, better brand? And no, nothing where I'm spending 500 dollars on a small handbag, please.

And she is in her 30s now if that matters.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can ask my wife later, but she is going to want more information. Like who are you buying these for? What are they looking for in a purse? Etc.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My wife likes Michael Kors, which seems to be pretty popular. I don't think she likes Coach.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
for my wife lol, and I just know she been wanting a few new purses as I've heard her complain. I think more for going out tbh.
Ahh I thought you were buying for multiple people.

I know my wife and she is going to ask, what do you mean going out? Like to a restaurant or out shopping? How much does she usually carry?

Personally my wife carries a small purse if any, but she has always loved her Coach bags (back in the day).

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think Coach is technically considered higher end. Kate Spade is pretty overpriced, and you're better off buying them on Black Friday or Cyber Monday when they're like 70% off

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My mom loves Coach but women my age and younger generally consider Coach, while very high end, is a little too old for them. Kate Spade is much more popular among the under 40 set.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Purses are always such hard gifts. The couple of times I've had to give them, I asked for four or five options from them and picked one of those or something super close.

Or just get Hermes. Any Hermes should work.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Fossil and Dooney & Bourke are both pretty good in that price range also

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
You can't go wrong with either one as long as she mentioned both brands. Kate Spade stuff is "cuter" for lack of a better term.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Coach is about twice the price. It's a lot to spend on a purse she potentially won't like.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
Can't really go wrong with either brand especially if she's mentioned them both. The key thing is whether or not she's going to like the style/color/size and that's where things get difficult.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
As a woman, I think most designer bags are pretty ugly. I ragged on my cousin when she got a Coach a while back. But I know I'm not normal.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Coach has been out of style for a while now

What kind of bag is it for? Going out? Work?

If work - Longchamps is pretty popular

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Got my gf a Kate Spade bag for Xmas that she was eyeing. Though I got it brand new off eBay and saved about 150 bucks.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
As a woman, I think most designer bags are pretty ugly. I ragged on my cousin when she got a Coach a while back. But I know I'm not normal.

You're not alone. As a seamstress, I'm automatically against most luxury brands. Most designer purses are hideous, and nowhere near as durable as my $150 tooled leather purse that's still going strong after over 10 years of abuse.

That said, I've seen a few Kate Spade designs that are cute. Overpriced, for sure. But cute. Same with Betsey Johnson.

As for Coach, I've never seen a single attractive bag from them in my life.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
yeah younger women around my age love kate spade and they get bonus points since she was from kansas city

I've bought my mom a Kate Spade purse that she used on special occasions. It's just a black handle purse that's rather simple but she loves the polka dot interior.

Recently though, I bought her a Longchamp purse for her birthday and she also loves it because of the color (it's like a dark orange/apricot color).

The Longchamp has gotten more use do the practicality of it - is nylon and can fold up into itself to save space.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I work in the high end fashion industry.

Kate Spade has been on a downward spiral lately, especially since the suicide/death of Kate Spade herself. I check the official website every now and then, and there's always something like 30, 40, 50% off sales. Sometimes even higher.

Coach on the other hand, died long before Kate Spade.

BUT...

Coach has been making a comeback in the past couple years. What you want is Coach 1941, though. Regular Coach is mainly trash and anyone seen in one is laughed at by those in the know, "welcome to 1998" they'll say. The "Coach 1941" diffusion is what you want.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I know a lot more about handbags, designers, upcoming trends in regards to high end fashion, etc. than any straight 37 year old male should.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Kate Spade is an ok brand. However, Coach has much more name recognition. Go for Coach.

What ethnicity are they?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, hell even Furla.

Coach is for old people.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well what kind of bag do you generally go for then? is it just you don't like the whole designer thing?
I don't think most luxury bags are worth the price. Most are ugly. The ones that aren't are overpriced. But hell, honestly most purses are ugly to me regardless of price. I'm pretty selective, but I won't buy luxury.
You're not alone. As a seamstress, I'm automatically against most luxury brands. Most designer purses are hideous, and nowhere near as durable as my $150 tooled leather purse that's still going strong after over 10 years of abuse.

That said, I've seen a few Kate Spade designs that are cute. Overpriced, for sure. But cute. Same with Betsey Johnson.

As for Coach, I've never seen a single attractive bag from them in my life.
YOOOOOO another Betsey Johnson fan! Even though I hardly ever buy anything, some of her designs are cute.

My last purse was from Betsey, on clearance at Macy's. My most current one is a Loungefly Alice in Wonderland print:
s-l300.jpg

But generally, I keep my purses for a few years and replace them when they're worn out with something I get lucky and find. Don't go for a particular brand or anything. I've had okay luck at Target. I think the Betsey Johnson one was the most expensive one I've gotten at around $50.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Coach has some nice ones

I see Kate Spades a lot more often so maybe it's not as exclusive? I'm sure it depends on your locale.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
My roommate who works in fashion (represents up and coming designers here in LA and places them in mags, editorials, celebrities, shows, red carpet) says that if all else fails, go with Coach.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't tell my wife, but this is the bag I got her for Christmas. Apparently Ronald Dahl's granddaughter jet-sets and designs bags. Who knew

timbuk2-pack-jet-set-convertible-travel-backpack-bright-blue-132.jpg

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that Kate Spade is slightly nicer than Coach. But I could easily be wrong.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Coach is considered a more luxury brand than Kate Spade. Similar to Michael Kors about 10 years ago, Kate Spade tried to broaden out to appeal to a wider range of consumers, they still have very high end expensive products, but also have more budget friendly products. Coach has done that but not to the same degree. Coach also has a reputation as being kind of ... like a brand that appeals to trashy people, mostly because of the 'luxury' aspect of it, at least I think more so than Kate Spade.

But, it depends on what your recipient is into. Should probably just go for a Birkin Bag, anything else is like you don't even care. If you can't get a birkin bag check J Crew bags, and if that matches your SO's style. J Crew sells good stuff and their prices are reasonable.

Longchamp is also in your price range:

Le Pliage is moderately priced and fashionable bags:

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Kate Spade is more chic, bolder designs. Depends what your s/o prefers of course

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know dooney and burke is popular with the younger crowd because they are playful with their colors. The wife likes coach, but my mom likes LV.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I work in the high end fashion industry.

Kate Spade has been on a downward spiral lately, especially since the suicide/death of Kate Spade herself. I check the official website every now and then, and there's always something like 30, 40, 50% off sales. Sometimes even higher.

Coach on the other hand, died long before Kate Spade.

BUT...

Coach has been making a comeback in the past couple years. What you want is Coach 1941, though. Regular Coach is mainly trash and anyone seen in one is laughed at by those in the know, "welcome to 1998" they'll say. The "Coach 1941" diffusion is what you want.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I know a lot more about handbags, designers, upcoming trends in regards to high end fashion, etc. than any straight 37 year old male should.

How does dooney fit into the equation.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Fun Kate Spade info that I learned last year shopping for wife: there's two skus for the same product but one made more cheaply for the outlets. Much of what you'll see on sale in slickdeals, for example, is the made for outlet version with the slightly different sku.

So be wary of deals if you are looking for the higher quality one.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Fun Kate Spade info that I learned last year shopping for wife: there's two skus for the same product but one made more cheaply for the outlets. Much of what you'll see on sale in slickdeals, for example, is the made for outlet version with the slightly different sku.

So be wary of deals if you are looking for the higher quality one.

This is true of basically everything designer-adjacent, but it's definitely more pronounced in some brands than others. I've noticed it with Levi's recently as well--they now sell significantly lower-quality pairs of jeans in what seems like all non-Levi's-specific stores for about 30% less. (Sorry just the example that sprang to mind). I basically don't buy anything from any outlets any more, I just go to UNIQLO or whatever if I'm not saving up for something expensive.

To get back to OP: Kate Spade definitely skews younger, Longchamp was very in for a while but is less in right now. Also, my gf's Longchamp backpack is constantly getting weird stains, which is the price of the very sturdy nylon they use for all their products.
If you're on the West Coast/your wife is more casual the Timbuk2 bag someone suggested is a really good pick, I have nothing but praise for Timbuk2 design and quality and it seems to be very in at the moment.

UPDATE: my gf (24) says Coach is "basic"