• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread but just wanted to share it here too because I'm jealous of you guys.

America just elected a man who went through so much in life that he could've easily ended it. Life threw him so many hardships but he kept going and going and going. He's always said finding purpose saved his life and that purpose has always been to serve the American people. That purpose saved his life. Since he was 30 years old, he served you guys in the senate. Then as your VP. And always, always, that purpose to serve is what kept him going everyday.

When ever he says "My fellow American" or "my dear American", know that it comes from depth of his heart. Know that he really cares and loves his country and people. Serving them saved his life.

Who better to guide a country and people facing so much death, inequality and injustice than a man shaped by tragedy and saved through purpose of serving his people.

He won't be perfect, but his sincerity shouldn't ever be questioned by the other side. And I hope the other side really understand how much he cares for them.

'You've Got to Have Purpose.' Joe Biden's 2020 Campaign Is the Latest Test in a Lifetime of Loss
Beau's death was the latest in the litany of losses and setbacks that have defined Biden's life. The death of his wife and daughter in an auto accident in 1972. The 1988 presidential bid that ended in a plagiarism scandal. Life-threatening brain aneurysms. Another failed bid for the presidency in 2008. For nearly a half-century, the nation has watched Biden wrestle publicly with sorrow. At countless funerals, he has eulogized Americans great and ordinary, all while nursing his own barely concealed wounds. "My mother used to say God never gives you a cross too heavy to carry," his wife Jill says. "But God got pretty close with Beau."

"So verily with every hardship comes ease, verily with hardship comes ease" - Al-insyriah 5-6.

God bless you guys. God bless you.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
We need to stop creating parasocial relationships with our politicians. It's nice that Joe Biden is a sincere person whose capable of genuine empathy, and that should be a standard to the job and especially so given the sociopath we had in Trump, but his primary role is to fix the nation. Who Joe Biden is as a person should matter a lot less than if he's gonna give us healthcare, address systemic racism, address the police problem, etc.

He's the president. He's not your friend. With few exceptions, he doesn't even know you exist. His sincerity is nice, it really is...but the nations dying of covid. Lets get on that first and foremost.

Oct 28, 2017
We need to stop creating parasocial relationships with our politicians. It's nice that Joe Biden is a sincere person whose capable of genuine empathy, and that should be a standard to the job and especially so given the sociopath we had in Trump, but his primary role is to fix the nation. Who Joe Biden is as a person should matter a lot less than if he's gonna give us healthcare, address systemic racism, address the police problem, etc.

He's the president. He's not your friend. With few exceptions, he doesn't even know you exist. How sincere he is should be way down on the list of priorities.

I completely disagree with this. The President's candor and perceived personality will directly affect the nation and its people. It shapes public discourse and affects whether the President is trustworthy.

It's supremely important.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree with this. The President's candor and perceived personality will directly affect the nation and its people. It shapes public discourse and affects whether the President is trustworthy.

It's supremely important.
Is it more important than how he is going to address things like systemic racism or healthcare?

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

He's the president. He's not your friend. With few exceptions, he doesn't even know you exist. His sincerity is nice, it really is...but the nations dying of covid. Lets get on that first and foremost.

Even if your right, the vast majority of people always factor in personality into their opinions of politicians. Arguably, Trump's personality defines him as President so the personality of a President is also important.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Even if your right, the vast majority of people always factor in personality into their opinions of politicians. Arguably, Trump's personality defines him as President so the personality of a President is also important.
You know, I don't even disagree with that. Certainly, it will be a relief that we can expect to wake up and not have to worry about Biden denigrating vulnerable people. That's great. I'm not saying it's unimportant.

But his actual policy actions is what is paramount. He cannot let republicans stop him from solving multiple crisis that we are in. We need to be looking forward to that above all.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
You know, I don't even disagree with that. Certainly, it will be a relief that we can expect to wake up and not have to worry about Biden denigrating vulnerable people. That's great. I'm not saying it's unimportant.

But his actual policy actions is what is paramount. He cannot let republicans stop him from solving multiple crisis that we are in. We need to be looking forward to that above all.
We have seen how a President without an ounce of empathy, humility, or class ran this country; how it shaped his policies, how it led to the avoidable deaths of thousands of Americans. It matters!

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I rewatched his TAPS speech after this smaller video was getting posted here and I honestly think it's one of his best speeches ever.

I recommend anyone curious about our soon to be new president give it a watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are y'all so goddamn weird.
Joe Biden is not a "good man" actually pay attention to the shit he's done over his career. This creepy fucking hero worship over this half broken old white man.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I don't think a person who doesn't have a personality that encourages unity and respect is capable of achieving those systemic changes we want to see.
True, which is why I agreed you need to be capable of sincerity and empathy for the job from the very first post. However, there are plenty of presidents who were perfectly capable of both those things, and we still got all the problems as a society we do.

If you want to say that a president needs to be a good person to fix systemic issues, then sure, I can go with you on that.

But if you want to imply that Biden being a good person means he's inevitably going to fix those systemic issues, that's where I need to point out to...well, most presidents we had before trump.

He's not gonna do it on his own, because, again, he's not our friend. He's our president, and we need to push him to do his job, harder than any american society pushed their president on any issue before.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no. I don't think a person who doesn't have a personality that encourages unity and respect is capable of achieving those systemic changes we want to see.
I think what they're saying is that if they can and do enact those changes, that action is more important than their perceived personality or conduct. Walk the walk basically.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I'm happy the orange turd is out but Biden is as lib as it gets. I don't like his politics either.

Oct 25, 2017

tAgBSSo.jpg

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why are y'all so goddamn weird.
Joe Biden is not a "good man" actually pay attention to the shit he's done over his career. This creepy fucking hero worship over this half broken old white man.
I'll quote myself from earlier today.
I, in my past occupation, worked very closely with Joe Biden and his team.

We have just elected one of the, if not the, kindest, most generous, and honorable men in politics to lead this nation.

Good job America. I'm proud of you.
He's not perfect, but in terms of being a good human being, it would be hard to find one better in politics.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going to agree with Veelk here. I think people put way too much stock into likability on a personal level with politicians and tend to value whether they seem like someone they'd personally want to spend time with over their actual policy and plans. Now obviously personality can inform policy in certain ways, but being a nice guy and being a good leader aren't the same thing. I'd rather a guy who's a blunt asshole but has good values and a firm understanding of policy than a nice, funny, sincere guy who has absolutely no fucking idea what they're doing.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Going to agree with Veelk here. I think people put way too much stock into likability on a personal level with politicians and tend to value whether they seem like someone they'd personally want to spend time with over their actual policy and plans. Now obviously personality can inform policy in certain ways, but being a nice guy and being a good leader aren't the same thing. I'd rather a guy who's a blunt asshole but has good values and a firm understanding of policy than a nice, funny, sincere guy who has absolutely no fucking idea what they're doing.
Fortunately you don't have to make that choice here.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Hostility. Prior bans for hostility.
I'll quote myself from earlier today.

He's not perfect, but in terms of being a good human being, it would be hard to find one better in politics.
I don't give a fuck that you like him why did you quote me?
I don't know you your thoughts on him as a person mean less than nothing to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately you don't have to make that choice here.
I'm not even talking about Biden here though, just in general. And I think playing it up when both are true is still a problem because it emphasizes the importance of something that doesn't actually matter that much. I feel like too many voters in general act on the impulses like "This seems like a guy I'd enjoy having a beer with" when that literally doesn't matter in the slightest

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not even talking about Biden here though, just in general. And I think playing it up when both are true is still a problem because it emphasizes the importance of something that doesn't actually matter that much. I feel like too many voters in general act on the impulses like "This seems like a guy I'd enjoy having a beer with" when that literally doesn't matter in the slightest
The personality, beliefs, and character of major political figures deeply influence their administration. It's not an unimportant thing.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Hostility, account in junior state
In the post you're quoting, I directly say it doesn't not matter.
Is this gaslighting? FOH with this take. OP wasn't about any of the shit you brought up, did you come in this thread to cause conflict? Go make your own thread about how you feel there is so many more important qualifiers to public service than what is currently being brought to the table by Joe Biden instead of shitting up this thread.

Edit: i reported your post to the mods, Veelk.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The personality, beliefs, and character of major political figures deeply influence their administration. It's not an unimportant thing.
Personality and beliefs are not the same things. Hell personality and character aren't either. Yes you have examples like Trump who are slimeballs on all levels, but some of the most successfully evil people of all time have been very nice people on a personal level to those who they interact with on a regular basis. There are plenty of massive racists who will be very nice and warm and welcoming if you meet them on the streets (and aren't a minority of course). Many serial killers are incredibly charming. On the other hand some genuinely well meaning and good people tend to come across as abrasive and cynical. Being a nice guy and being a good person are actually not the same thing in the slightest.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Personality and beliefs are not the same things. Hell personality and character aren't either. Yes you have examples like Trump who are slimeballs on all levels, but some of the most successfully evil people of all time have been very nice people on a personal level to those who they interact with on a regular basis. There are plenty of massive racists who will be very nice and warm and welcoming if you meet them on the streets (and aren't a minority of course). Many serial killers are incredibly charming. On the other hand some genuinely well meaning and good people tend to come across as abrasive and cynical. Being a nice guy and being a good person are actually not the same thing in the slightest.
I never said they were the same thing, I said they were all important things and all relevant to discussions about our leaders.

I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I posted this in the other thread but just wanted to share it here too because I'm jealous of you guys.

America just elected a man who went through so much in life that he could've easily ended it. Life threw him so many hardships but he kept going and going and going. He's always said finding purpose saved his life and that purpose has always been to serve the American people. That purpose saved his life. Since he was 30 years old, he served you guys in the senate. Then as your VP. And always, always, that purpose to serve is what kept him going everyday.

When ever he says "My fellow American" or "my dear American", know that it comes from depth of his heart. Know that he really cares and loves his country and people. Serving them saved his life.

Who better to guide a country and people facing so much death, inequality and injustice than a man shaped by tragedy and saved through purpose of serving his people.

He won't be perfect, but his sincerity shouldn't ever be questioned by the other side. And I hope the other side really understand how much he cares for them.

'You've Got to Have Purpose.' Joe Biden's 2020 Campaign Is the Latest Test in a Lifetime of Loss

"So verily with every hardship comes ease, verily with hardship comes ease" - Al-insyriah 5-6.

God bless you guys. God bless you.

Touching OP, I'll be watching this later at work, thanks for the recommendation yo! Joe seems like a great guy, and i believe he'll be a heck of a president for this nation!

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but consider this - Joe is a kind, honorable man. Okay. Mitch McConnell already said he is going to reject any cabinet members that aren't centrist enough to his liking. Mitch makes it clear he intends to block any effective legislature coming down the pipe just like with Obama. What is a kind, honorable man supposed to do here? Reach across the isle and try to make peace with the fucking monsters that enabled trump in the first place? What about the police problem, where he is very adament about not defunding the police, which makes it clear that they will be kept in power with all their racism and gang mentality intact? What is he going to do with the military industrial complex that Obama enabled with him as VP?

That Biden's personality, belief and character will go into his policy crafting goes without saying. Obviously that's true. But I think it's very blatantly obvious that there are significant blindsides to his approach that prevent him from solving some of the problems facing the nation adequately. There are problems you can't nice your way across.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they were the same thing, I said they were all important things and all relevant to discussions about our leaders.
I'm not going to say they're irrelevant, but in terms or personality specifically I think the reasons why it's actually important tend not to be the ones voters focus on. Important aspects of personality include things like impulsiveness and temprament in regards to decision making and negotiation. Charisma is not entirely useless because a president will need to make deals and such with other world leaders so it's important in as far as it helps them manage in that job. But these qualities are vastly overemphasized in their importance compared to stuff like their ability to delegate, attract and manage talent, and understanding of policy (largely because these topics are far more complex and nuanced than "does he seem likable?" and encouraging that mindset is a problem in my opinion

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I don't think we need to worship the guy, but I do have hopes that given the man that he is, that he'll budge the US in the right direction. He won't move mountains, as no president ever does. We just need to hold his feet to the fire and hope that his conscience pulls him in the right direction.

Just thought I'd say that before this thread gets even worse.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
This thread, basically:

3bd9gmpksux51.jpg

Here's the thing.

I'm glad Biden won, but people thinking things are all sunshine and rainbows are so myopic.

People like Obama and Biden need to be criticised and pulled more towards actually being progressive. The entire Dem party is building itself to "appeal to all sides", which spoiler alert - means doing FUCK ALL and pretending things are "good enough as-is".

Obama authorised countless drone strikes which killed civilians, he never followed-up on the factors that led to the 2008 financial crisis, he bailed out wall street and wagged his finger at them.

Biden voted for the Clinton Crime Bill which has statistically shown to affect POC to a staggering degree, and he wasn't exactly in a hurry to improve their quality of life to prevent them from being targeted by such laws while in the senate, nor as VP.

If any of you "please dear god vote" folks stop caring about politics now that "bad man" is out, then democracy genuinely fails, because clearly the public DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT about the change it echoes on forums, or social circles.

Fight for change, at all times, or just admit you don't care when you're not affected. Show off your true colours.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, but consider this - Joe is a kind, honorable man. Okay. Mitch McConnell already said he is going to reject any cabinet members that aren't centrist enough to his liking. Mitch makes it clear he intends to block any effective legislature coming down the pipe just like with Obama. What is a kind, honorable man supposed to do here? Reach across the isle and try to make peace with the fucking monsters that enabled trump in the first place? What about the police problem, where he is very adament about not defunding the police, which makes it clear that they will be kept in power with all their racism and gang mentality intact?

That Biden's personality, belief and character will go into his policy crafting goes without saying. Obviously that's true. But I think it's very blatantly obvious that there are significant blindsides to his approach that prevent him from solving some of the problems facing the nation adequately. There are problems you can't nice your way across.
Little presumptuous to say right now, don't you think? Joe Biden was for a long time one of the most effective politicians in Washington. Give him a chance to succeed before you say it's obvious he will fail.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There is an astonishing amount of people that dont have the prerequisite of decency. It is essential to the job.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To make it clear why I take the stance I have in this thread, consider how people have been reacting to George W. Bush since Trump has been president despite the fact that at best he was only marginally better policy wise than Trump in literally any given area and in some areas was far worse simply because he doesn't come off as unhinged in the same way

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not going to say they're irrelevant, but in terms or personality specifically I think the reasons why it's actually important tend not to be the ones voters focus on. Important aspects of personality include things like impulsiveness and temprament in regards to decision making and negotiation. Charisma is not entirely useless because a president will need to make deals and such with other world leaders so it's important in as far as it helps them manage in that job. But these qualities are vastly overemphasized in their importance compared to stuff like their ability to delegate, attract and manage talent, and understanding of policy (largely because these topics are far more complex and nuanced than "does he seem likable?" and encouraging that mindset is a problem in my opinion
...and none of that is an issue for Biden, so why are you coming into a thread specifically about character to complain about posters talking about the man's character?

To make it clear why I take the stance I have in this thread, consider how people have been reacting to George W. Bush since Trump has been president despite the fact that at best he was only marginally better policy wise than Trump in literally any given area and in some areas was far worse simply because he doesn't come off as unhinged in the same way
...but we're not talking about GWB, we're talking about Biden. So again, what point are you trying to make? A good man will be in the White House, people are understandably happy about that and want to discuss it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...and none of that is an issue for Biden, so why are you coming into a thread specifically about character to complain about posters talking about the man's character?
I'm pointing out that emphasizing his character as some great achievement is a problem that hurts political discourse in general, because being a decent stable human being shouldn't be seen as some shining accomplishment for a politician, it should be one of the bare minimum standards we hold them to, and in treating it as a big deal in this way we normalize the idea that character is something to be celebrated in a politician rather than something to be expected as a bare minimum

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm pointing out that emphasizing his character as some great achievement is a problem that hurts political discourse in general, because being a decent stable human being shouldn't be seen as some shining accomplishment for a politician, it should be one of the bare minimum standards we hold them to, and in treating it as a big deal in this way we normalize the idea that character is something to be celebrated in a politician rather than something to be expected as a bare minimum
...but the minimum hasn't been reached lately, so we are happy to see it's return.

So we should...just keep that happiness to ourselves?

Oct 25, 2017
Then why are you posting on a discussion board, if not to have a discussion?
This isn't a discussion? It's you saying I like him, which, good for you? I didn't ask and I don't care. That's just you talking at me and assuming you deserve to be heard because of some strange undeserved arrogance.
Sorry bro