• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I knew the revolution was coming, but I didn't expect it this fast.

Gyro aiming really is the best input innovation of the last decade. I was disappointed when Microsoft announced the Series controller would be gyro-less.

Hopefully this sudden push gets the ball rolling and they add it to Xinput and future iterations of the controller.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
They did sound open to it in the past so who knows, maybe they'll like it as a reason to sell new controllers eventually I donno
I hope they add it to a revision of the standard series controller. I would love to get a custom controller from the xbox design lab, but there's no way I can justify buying a new one just to get a different color. C'mon microsoft, follow the money.

Oct 26, 2017
We're going the wrong direction. Gyro doesn't belong in console gaming; I do not want to be rocking my controller around while playing, the same way I didn't want to be waggling a wand on Wii. If competitive games start adding it then the players using it need to go into a separate matchmaking hopper.
Posts like this make it very clear who has used gyro aiming and who has not. You're not shaking the controller around when using gyro aiming. You make slight adjustments with the controller while aiming with the sticks for greater accuracy and speed

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro haters gotta be one of the weirdest people on the planet. always on the crusade, entirely ignoring platforms where it's standard and even hating on the option, if present.
y'all complained about the additional facebuttons when the SNES released?
"but I really HATE being able to aim accurately!"
me and the fellow headshot enjoyers will roll over you in matchmaking when it's finally standard on all platforms.
I personally do decent against Gyro players on sticks so I don't see a difference, and I rarely change the controller settings.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, it makes me laugh how vehemently against gyro aim some people are. This irrational hatred towards an alternate control scheme that can be disabled is absolutely hilarious to me. Just turn it off? What is gained or lost by offering options?

Did the Wii really instil this level of no confidence and pure anger towards gyro aiming? Why is the animosity so high towards it?

Oct 26, 2017
As an aside, it makes me laugh how vehemently against gyro aim some people are. This irrational hatred towards an alternate control scheme that can be disabled is absolutely hilarious to me. Just turn it off? What is gained or lost by offering options?

Did the Wii really instil this level of no confidence and pure anger towards gyro aiming? Why is the animosity so high towards it?
I'd say it's that and the fact that almost no games on PS/Xbox support or push for it. If a lot more of them did, I think a lot of folk would change their tune

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
It would be great to finally have gyro on my main platform. The lack of it is my only issue with the Series controller.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro's just fun honestly, lol. It's as close as we can get with point-and-shoot 'lightgun' controls without moving away from the traditional controller setup.

It doesn't require an IR sensor, external motion trackers, or one controller in each hand like the Wiimote or modern VR controllers. It's fun having my aiming actions realized in realtime while still being able to use sticks, buttons, etc. It also seamlessly works in handheld devices like the 3DS, Switch, and Steam Deck.

If Xbox controllers had gyro along with including gyro inputs for the XInput API, it'd be an amazing PC controller that opens up more options without needing manual configuration with Steam Input.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The outright disdain and ire for adding gyro to a controller you get from some posters on here is just so tiresome. Xbox controllers need to get with the times.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Gyro haters gotta be one of the weirdest people on the planet. Always on a crusade, entirely ignoring platforms where it's standard and even hating on the option, if present.

It only takes a brief look at some of those folks post history to see who's bizarrely against gyro, and this is coming from a company that created the outstanding Adaptive Controller.

Perhaps they should adapt their ways, and acknowledge that the more options available (that you can choose to turn off), the better … 🤔

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia

It is pretty funny but also quite annoying, instead of supporting other peoples taste, likes and even form of accessibility option they go grumpy grandpa with gyro. what I like is how the anti-gyro crowd has now started to change the rhetoric of why they are against it.

65m5fn.jpg

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im glad that nintendo did make this traditional. Xbox will follow for sure. Their elite controller is the best one on the market.

Battery life isnt an excuus as the switch pro is about 40h

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
It is pretty funny but also quite annoying, instead of supporting other peoples taste, likes and even form of accessibility option they go grumpy grandpa with gyro. what I like is how the anti-gyro crowd has now started to change the rhetoric of why they are against it.

65m5fn.jpg

Second button for sure. Headshots galore for me.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
So weird that the Xbox controllers by two generations seems to ignore the addition of gyro. As a left handed guy it really helps me to aim better with controllers that have this feature (switch & steam controller).
The Xbox series controller is a very nice if subtle upgrade from the Xbox one but it's biggest missed opportunity was for sure gyro capability.
Hopefully this call-out reaches Microsoft ears!

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'd say it's that and the fact that almost no games on PS/Xbox support or push for it. If a lot more of them did, I think a lot of folk would change their tune

I mean, when one of the 2 major console platforms don't have hardware built-in for it, it's not a surprise that there is a lack of support. Having parity for these features is intended to incentivize its inclusion/usage, for people who want the option. And yeah, PS doesn't do it for all of their 1st party games either, which I hope they do moving forward in games it makes sense for regardless of me personally not interested/using gyro.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Did Splatoon have aim assist?
I thought you were referring to a traditional shooter, like Counterstrike. Motion controls are better for aiming regardless vs. the stick with aim assists disabled, but that matters far less in a game like Splatoon where the arenas are small, the targets are huge, and big sized projectiles is the ammo (all while in third person).

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Why do you want no batteries? Microsoft are wizards but I don't think the make the worlds first perpetual motion controller. Something has to power it.
Ah sorry, meant I prefer a built-in battery rather than using AAA batteries. Though the first perpetual motion controller? That's something I want to see haha

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Why do you want no batteries? Microsoft are wizards but I don't think the make the worlds first perpetual motion controller. Something has to power it.

I, too, would like no batteries in the next iteration. That way, I can legitimately blame the controller when I die in Halo, as opposed to lack of skill.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It's not standard. Controller players generally don't matchmake into Mouse and Keyboard matches by default, and they shouldn't matchmake with Gyro nonsense either. I didn't buy into HD console to flop my controller around when playing; it's completely unenjoyable.
We need to go back. It's completely BS that we are forced to use "dual analog" when shoulders and DPad work just fine. I didn't buy into Playstation gaming to push sticks around FFS. I would've bought the casual N64 if I was into that.

YLRSDSxa1pThgjpjVQAhxU6KFSnV9y9nl4JQACvXt6g.png

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ah sorry, meant I prefer a built-in battery rather than using AAA batteries.
You mean AA, not AAA. But good news, you already have that option: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit you've always had this option. You have had it since the 360 controllers. You never had to use AAs.

Unless what you're asking for is they remove user serviceable parts, which would be stupid and I really hope that's not what you're asking for.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you were referring to a traditional shooter, like Counterstrike. Motion controls are better for aiming regardless vs. the stick with aim assists disabled, but that matters far less in a game like Splatoon where the arenas are small, the targets are huge, and big sized projectiles is the ammo (all while in third person).
I don't think it's gonna matter to me regardless. I have no issues playing Halo or Gears against PC players so gyro should be no different.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Ah sorry, meant I prefer a built-in battery rather than using AAA batteries.
Have you tried the rechargeable battery packs?

I use the Venom ones (I think they're venom) and they're pretty good. Just clip them in the battery port. They last longer than inserting rechargeable batteries and seem to last about the same time as the dual shock charge. Obviously not as good as the Switch controller but they're pretty solid.

They do only come in matte black and white, so they clash with a lot of the controller designs unfortunately

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Have you tried the rechargeable battery packs?

I use the Venom ones (I think they're venom) and they're pretty good. Just clip them in the battery port. They last longer than inserting rechargeable batteries and seem to last about the same time as the dual shock charge. Obviously not as good as the Switch controller but they're pretty solid.

They do only come in matte black and white, so they clash with a lot of the controller designs unfortunately
On this, I actually agree with the Xbox folks. In my ideal scenario, the controller would come with a rechargeable battery that can be charged via USB-C as well as be swapped out for a replacement rechargeable battery or regular AA batteries should be included one eventually run dry. This is actually what 8BitDo does with their controllers.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Posts like this make it very clear who has used gyro aiming and who has not. You're not shaking the controller around when using gyro aiming. You make slight adjustments with the controller while aiming with the sticks for greater accuracy and speed
Jesus Christ… I REALLY dislike gyro aiming and even I know that it is exactly how you describe it.

Some people seem to only tried Wii Sport back it 2006 or 2007 and think that that is still how everything motion works.

It's not a difficult thing to not like something without saying lies about it.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Two things I'd love for the Xbox controller:

1) gyro
2) no batteries
They should just copy the 8bitdo Pro 2 controller. It has gyro and includes a rechargable battery pack that works exactly like the DS4/5/Switch Pro controllers. BUT you can take it out and put regular AA batteries if you wish. It's the solution that would fix the problem completely. It just costs $50 to boot, CHEAPER than an Xbox Series controller, so that proves right there those added features add really nothing to the price.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a little late as the Series consoles didn´t ship with a gyro controller. I mean, like 7 games on the Playstation even use gyro and every player on there has a gyro controller. Even if you make a new Elite controller with gyro I doubt anyone is in a hurry to add Xbox gyro support when you would have to have an Elite controller that only a handful of people upgrade into.

Better luck next gen.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I don't think it's gonna matter to me regardless. I have no issues playing Halo or Gears against PC players so gyro should be no different.
We're back at square one... turn off aim assists for a traditional shooter vs. those mouse aimers on PC and report back. Here's a quote from one of the best Xbox Titanfall players in the world backing this up as he describes how difficult it is to get frags against quality opponents without aim assists enabled on a controller:

"I think a controller with disabled aim assist would be so inaccurate you couldn't get a kill," Anthony "Gamesager" Jarvis, a player on Exertus, told the Daily Dot. He points to the example of trying to team kill a teammate in the console shooter Halo, a notoriously difficult feat compared to blasting an enemy, since there's no aim assist on friendly targets.

I mean, the basic laws of physics show that stick aiming (without assists) can never be as good as mouse or gyro aiming, all else being equal. It really isn't much of a debate to suggest otherwise.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're back at square one... turn off aim assists for a traditional shooter vs. those mouse aimers on PC and report back. Here's a quote from one of the best Xbox Titanfall players in the world backing this up as he describes how difficult it is to get frags against quality opponents without aim assists enabled on a controller:

I mean, the basic laws of physics show that stick aiming (without assists) can never be as good as mouse or gyro aiming, all else being equal. It really isn't much of a debate to suggest otherwise.
I am failing to see why you keep saying turn off aim-assist and see....we get it, but what game (sans Splatoon which doesn't have it in general) is turning that off if you are up against kb+m or gyro if you are using neither of those?

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Never used that thing. My aim on console is pretty good, thanks to my almost 1k hours of BO3 and +500 hours of Destiny lol.

But I think its a good option to be available everywhere.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro should be a standard controller feature and a toggleable option for any game that asks you to aim at things. I have yet to see a convincing argument otherwise.