• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theatrical Sense of Reality

• Keep exactly as it was in the original.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Keep it similar to the original, but expand it (kind like what KoTOR2 did).

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Change it to be more like Rage Frenzy/GWENT.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Change it to be more like Rage Frenzy/GWENT and get Mega Crit Games to develop it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change it to something else.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Keep the original Pazaak but also add something new.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Remove it entirely.

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I believe there are small, non-obvious things in games, in this case RPGs, that help tie the whole game together. Knights of the Old Republic has a couple of those. Mainly Swoop Racing and Pazaak.

Pazaak was a very simple card game, but the fact that you could keep improving your deck over the entire game and playing many other NPCs everywhere you went helped create a sense of coherence in the story, of progression. Some mind feel that feels like an exaggeration, but I truly believe that. It's a small thing, but those small things can make a lot of difference, even if the player doesn't realize it.

Probably the best example of such a mini-game, and most successful, is GWENT from The Witcher 3, which works just like Pazaak, but in a much significant and expanded way. I should also mention the lesser known Rage Frenzy, which was the first card game I saw that captured that idea of using its own universe as inspiration:

Personally something like that would be my choice, as the original minigame might feel too simple today.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Keep it the same or expand it, just add more rewards and narrative weight to it (kind of what KOTOR 2 did, I suppose)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Pazaak was a terrible game. I can't remember why I think this, because it has been so long, but I still know I'm right.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Pazaak was a terrible game. I can't remember why I think this, because it has been so long, but I still know I'm right.

y3hhP26.jpg

Pazaak is a very cool minigame, but there is something about it in the first KoTOR game that might make people less sympathetic to it: you always play first. And that makes the game unfair in a way. Although the AI kind balances that I find. In the end, it's a game that relies a lot on luck. Maybe that's also why you might not have liked it.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Agreed. I enjoyed the game and I my interest in this remake would go up if Pazaak had a bigger role compared to the original.

Although KoTOR2 expanded pazaak with new cards, I don't think it had a particularly bigger role. Not in the sense that I mentioned in the OP at least. How KoTOR2 was rushed is well known, and I think that hampered how Pazaak was implemented. The people that you can play it lack the same... enthusiasm as the ones in KoTOR, it's overall less coherent. You do have some cool uses of it, like the girl you can free playing Pazaak or the Pazaak Den in Nar Shaddaa, but it was more a sideway step than a clear step foward overall.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
y3hhP26.jpg

Pazaak is a very cool minigame, but there is something about it in the first KoTOR game that might make people less sympathetic to it: you always play first. And that makes the game unfair in a way. Although the AI kind balances that I find. In the end, it's a game that relies a lot on luck. Maybe that's also why you might not have liked it.

That sounds familiar yeah. I was too harsh on it. It FELT like it was terrible because it was close to good but had that kinda glaring flaw that kept it from being really great. It was close enough to string you along like maybe it can still be fun, but then always let me down.