• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.independent.co.uk

Pugs ‘no longer considered typical dog’ due to high health risks

The breed’s desirable features compromise dogs’ health and welfare, experts say
Pugs can "no longer be considered as a typical dog" from a health perspective due to their high health risks, a new study has warned.

Research from The Royal Veterinary College (RVC), published in the Canine Medicine and Genetics journal, has found that the pets are significantly more likely to suffer from disorders affecting the airways and the eyes.

Pugs are one of the most popular dog breeds in the UK, known for their big eyes and small squashed-looking faces.

Experts are advising the public against buying the dogs until there is an improvement in their health and their body shape shifts to being less extreme.
The study compared the health records of 4,308 pugs with 21,835 non-pug dogs.

It found that pugs are around 1.9 times more likely to suffer from one or more disorders compared to other dogs, indicating a poor overall health status among the breed.

Pugs had the highest risk of brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome (BOAS) with the breed almost 54 times more likely to have the condition.

BOAS refers to a range of respiratory problems experienced by flat-faced dogs, due to their short noses and the shape of their faces.

Pugs are also at increased risk of having narrowed nostrils, skinfold infections and obesity. Obesity affected 17.4 per cent of pugs, and 6.9 per cent of other dogs.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
188d2ded1ee3c153228e4293ce066385db4f4208.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A lost bulldog follow me home once and slept there until we found the owners next day, I seriously thought he was sick but they said it's normal to breath like that.

I had a dachshund growing up and while I loved him more than anything, I felt so bad for his back problems. Only adoption for me after he died.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Really should be outlawed to breed this type of dog.

Wasn't there a thread about these breeds being banned in Norway or Denmark recently?

EDIT: Oh ffs it's my own thread.

www.resetera.com

Norway sets a precedent and bans breeding of certain types of dogs with hereditary/genetic issues

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/first-legal-ban-breeding-bulldogs-22943414 I knew about Bulldogs (I mean...just look at the picture), but didn't know about King Charles Spaniels as I assumed they were just another type of spaniel.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I have an encounter with a pug it sounds like it's dying.

Not the same dog but similar problem:

Why is the left dog considered more beautiful?

Retro pugs look nicer than smushface.
Yeah I know someone with a french bulldog and you can definitely hear its breathing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a chug rescue. I'm very happy he got a chi snout instead of a pug nose.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The way that we've selective bred some of these animals for nothing other than aesthetics at the expense of their health is some truly evil shit that only humans could pull off.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where English Bulldogs are relative to Frenchies and Pugs, but my family's two bulldogs have so many health issues it's ridiculous. I can't understand choosing to get those breeds when you're so likely to sink additional thousands into their upkeep.

Chow Chows unfortunately have been following this trendy flat/scrunched face as well, and the stereotypical picture of a Chow now looks very different to one in the early 1900s. Breeding for health and temperament should always be the priority.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
I own two pugs. They're both pretty healthy, but the oldest (female) can snore and can get hot really easily.

Pugs have some of the best temperament of any dog breed, but it's sad what breeders have done to their health. I read on Reddit that people have started breeding the "Retro Pug" to get them healthier.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I have been around a pug from a family in the area, that poor thing can barely breathe in the summer. Breeding their snouts longer is the ethical thing to do.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Pugs need to have more diverse breeding at this point, it's like their entire life is nothing but suffering. I can see why people think they're cute but every dog is a cute dog (Unless the owner makes them not cute).

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
They have to be the most popular dog right now, I've seen so many in the last few years. All of them sound awful, poor doggos.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Think it's only a matter of time until breeding them is outlawed in more countries. First I'm hearing about breeders trying to breed with longer snouts, so that's good at least.

I know a few pugs and they are 100% sweethearts but yeah they all sound like they are struggling to breathe and they overheat so easily.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
My friends have one. I always feel bad whenever we're at their place and he's in the same room. Every breath sounds so labored. He's not sick or tired from exercise; it's like existing is pain. The fact that most people do not recognize dog breeding as one of humanity's longest lived eugenics experiment still gets me angry.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

This is what needs to happen. What we need is a ban on characteristics, not a ban on breeds.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There was a really depressing comment I read from a vet about how when they intubate dogs for surgery, most breeds will panic and struggle because it's uncomfortable, but pugs will just lie there calmly because it's the first time in their lives that they've been able to breathe properly

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
We had a Boston Terrier. Lovable dog, lived 13 years. Always had nasal and breathing problems because of it. Died of an enlarged heart that was working overtime to give her body oxygen. Don't get short nosed dogs. They have to work so hard to breathe because we like the way they look. We also couldn't fly her anymore because of the health risk.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is "typical dog" a real term? Like I get what this story is saying, but what a weird way to phrase it. I'm personally against breeding dogs for pug-like features.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Breeding the extreme physical characteristics of dogs to make them unique has been terrible and only causes health problems. If kennel clubs and dog shows changed what is considered "breed standard" to disallow extreme breeding, it would go a long way to correcting the problem.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I had a pug that lived to 19 years old and died in perfect health. I know this isn't common and probably wouldn't get another one now that I know the risks even though she was my best friend for more than half my life.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
As people have mentioned it's really sad that pugs have been bred this way since they're easily some of the nicest and most relaxed dog breeds, especially since I can imagine their popularity has led to a big rise in breeding them enmass.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

My brother had to put down his french bulldog when he was 2 years old because of his health issues. Poor dogs.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same about bulldogs, I don't get the love, they are utterly butchered like pugs.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
There was a really depressing comment I read from a vet about how when they intubate dogs for surgery, most breeds will panic and struggle because it's uncomfortable, but pugs will just lie there calmly because it's the first time in their lives that they've been able to breathe properly
Welp, time for me to sign off the internet for the morning. Get some work done. 😭

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Honestly I thiink all flat nosed cats/dogs are ugly. I think though for some people it's cause it looks more "human like " (maybe that's why I think they're ugly ;). The only human like animal I think looks good are humans and I suspect that is just cause natural instincts). But also, pugs I know are in general sweet dogs so that helps make them endearing. But I really hope more countries catch on and start discouraging these breeding tactics that encourage extremity to the point of unhealthiness (or even just mutations that have health problems attached... like the gene that causes the ridge in rhodesian ridgebacks also is associated with spine problems.. and the more prominent the ridge the more likely to have that spine issue). I know on a vet subreddit I'm on the vets unanimously think pug breeding is cruel because the inherant health problems that come attached. I mean I live in Seattle and I know of a guy whose pug overheated to death here (he even let him on a shaded porch that day <- which is better than inside in most places here cause no ac). A dog shouldn't be able to overheat in the shade in seattle! I mean my freeking husky does fine here in Seattle.. a dog bred for very cold temps. And it can still handle heat better than a pug.

But honestly, in general, it does not help that all flat nosed breeds have breathing issues and the flatter you maek the nose, the worse it is which also colors my perception of flat nosed breeds. Though also siamese have the opposite yet similar problem... they have been breeding them where the noses are getting too narrow to breath properly.

I mean I think pugs are sweet dogs but if they can't be convinced not to breed them with flat noses I'd be very happy to see the breed disappear entirely (basically make it illegal to breed them). It's not right to breed in inherant health issues like that.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
I've owned two pugs (both rescues) and I love the breed, but yeah, the flat face characteristic needs to go. Actually any brachycephalic dog should be breed to correct for it; its just not healthy for any dog.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly there needs to be way more laws and restrictions against breeding and More efforts to fix dog breeds into way healthier versions.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Pugs have the saddest existence. I feel like they were unintentionally bred to suffer and be in pain.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I love pugs, they're amazing little dogs every time I've met one, but the health risks due to the breeding of that flat face has always felt like straight animal cruelty, bringing dogs into the world knowing they'll have these health problems and be suffering. Definitely needs to be limits to their continued breeding, we should not be deliberately breeding blatantly unhealthy dogs.

Oct 27, 2017
My mom had a pug. He was a big sweetie, and I loved him a ton.

However, having him made me feel so bad for pugs. It feels so cruel to breed them.

HK-48

Jan 14, 2021
England
That is heartbreaking :(

Isabella420

Banned
May 9, 2022
A friend showed me a video about this but I can't find the video or Youtube channel, if I could I would post it here, they're video seem to be kindas comedic while also talking about these health problems in depth and why you should avoid getting them directly from breeders.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pug breeding should be a serious crime

They're sweet dogs, I have nothing against people who adopt them, but they should not exist in the state that they do

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This is kind of the future for many of the toy breeds as well, it'll just take many more years.

People being obsessed with purebreds (and I say that as the owner of one) just leads to this kind of thing and pugs have it the absolute worst.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
This is kind of the future for many of the toy breeds as well, it'll just take many more years.

People being obsessed with purebreds (and I say that as the owner of one) just leads to this kind of thing and pugs have it the absolute worst.

I think the biggest problem with breeding doesn't need to be inherant to purebreds but because selfishness and want of appearance breeding tends to encourage unhealthy dogs. That is that health tends to be last on the list of what people consider when breeding (most people anyways. A good breeder will know the health issues of their dog and try to avoid them. But that only works for breeds where the major attraction isn't the problem in the breed itself, like pugs and their short faces or rhodesian ridgebacks and the ridge). And this also goes for breeds where people start liking to emphasize one particular trait they like with no regards on how it affects health (german shepherds and those slanted hips, pugs with their noses, cavalier king charles spaniels and the skull too small for the brain, rhodesian ridgebacks). Looks seems to really be the big thing that motivates most breeding so people either ignore there might be a reason not to breed a particular individual if it looks pretty enough or even try to emphasize traits that really shouldn't be.

If health was the first and foremost consideration I think it would help solve a lot of problems iwth breeding. People would try to make sure to check the animals they were breeding were not like to pass on a trait that the breed can have that is unhealthy and they would keep in check trying to exxagerate traits that would get bad for the pet when overdone. I mean proper breeding can improve health... Siamese when they first were transported to the US had very short lifespans. Now they tend to be known as one of the longer lived breeds (and for cats, not just for breeds).

I mean being a mutt doesn't instantly make a dog healthier... it's just that some one isn't trying to emphasize traits with no regards to what health issues it might include (and breeding same breed dogs you will have more chances of a bad trait happening). I mean for my cats, my healthiest cat was a purebreed and I've had plenty of very unhealthy mutts :( (one of my current cats his sister died at 3 1/2 and he was diagnosed soon after with kidney disease which is also what his sister died of, though she had heart issues too. I actually posted a pic of them here years ago asking for name suggestions. My favorite cat was probably a maine coon mix but she died at 12 of cancer. Another mutt cat I adopted died at 8 from cancer... I have no luck with cats :(. Though my dog is almost 15 now and still can be mistaken for a puppy and has now lived longer than all my cats except my purebred cat).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a thread about these breeds being banned in Norway or Denmark recently?

EDIT: Oh ffs it's my own thread.

www.resetera.com

Norway sets a precedent and bans breeding of certain types of dogs with hereditary/genetic issues

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/first-legal-ban-breeding-bulldogs-22943414 I knew about Bulldogs (I mean...just look at the picture), but didn't know about King Charles Spaniels as I assumed they were just another type of spaniel.

Ha!

Totally on board with banning and trying to reverse the damage that has been done to these poor dogs.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

That dog on the right is gorgeous. I wish that breeder all the good fortune in the world for getting their more classic/healthier breed popular.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
There is nothing wrong with purebreds when the standard is reasonable. If kennel clubs clamped down on what is considered standard for a breed, then breeders would stop unethical breeding if they're going to lose registered breeder status.

Puppy mills and backyard breeding would still happen, but if the public opinion changes on a standard that requires healthy dogs, then bad breeding would not be acceptable.

Getting a dog from a registered breeder is fine. Getting a dog from a backyard breeder is not.