• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I thought I'd dislike Rebellion because it felt so unnecessary for the series to have a continuation and just felt like a cash-in, but the movie was absolutely terrific and may be the best part of the entire series. Excited to see what they do with this.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to just rewatch the show and for the first time the rebellion movie. I don't remember much other than being completely depressed out after finishing the series šŸ˜‚

Dec 21, 2018
I loved the original series and LOVED Rebellion, so I'm so excited for this. Can't wait for the amazing OST to continue

it is 2021 and Madoka Rebellion discourse has returned, threatening as it does to claim the whole earth in its wake. Honestly let's fucking go. Pick your side. I'm team Rebellion is a masterpiece that makes a fantastic series even better. Let's hope this new movie is good I'm very nervous but I trust Gen.
It's definitely a masterpiece.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, looking forward to it. Wonder how itll keep going. The series surprised me when it was newish. Hope the new movie is good.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't wait. Rebellion was great

v8hc80.gif

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
Rebellion always felt like it ended on a cliffhanger so I'm glad we're finally getting this. Hope it isn't too long before it's out, don't want another Rebuild situation.

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
Wow this is amazing! I loved rebellion and can't believe we're getting a proper conclusion.

However, I won't be truly satisfied unless we get a Madoka and Homura kiss. It's 2021, you cowards, make your lesbian magical girls textually gay. None of this "they love each other but not in a physical way" bullshit.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Finally. After that awful spinoff series I thought Madoka was done for, but I'm glad to see they are making a Rebellion sequel. Time to redo the universe again.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Rebellion's biggest crime isn't the twist nobody wanted, or even the (interesting) setup for a sequel to clean up the mess it just made all over the floor, it's the hour of pointless style over substance filler you have to trudge through before all that. Whatever movie this is could have been preceeded with like 25 mins cut from Rebellion to show Homura's current state of mind + the ending and the franchise probably would have been in a much healthier place for the last 8 years.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I remember *liking* Rebellion, but I remember absolutely nothing about it, so ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

OP
OP
Yasumi

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people could watch the original series closing on this shot:
fuDcGl.jpg

And think that was the perfect place to end things, as if Homura growing giant evil Gekidan Inu Curry wings is something that will surely have no consequences whatsoever.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Rebellion, but that ending did Homura dirty.

Wonder if this one'll explain what the hell that bizarre post credits "dancing Homura" scene was all about at least.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just wait and see, I wasn't in any real hurry to get a Madoka continuation and so it's really up in the air whether this new movie will amount to much. Not making any particular predictions in any direction. I'm at least sure it'll be quite well produced and visually attractive, no question about that.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
It's been so long that I feel like I need to go back and rewatch at least Rebellion, but maybe even the original series. I liked the original show more than Rebellion, but not because Rebellion was bad; I enjoyed it when I watched it, even if I remember very little of it other than Mami having a cool fight at some point and the gist of the Homura stuff going on.

Oct 27, 2017
That scene where Homura unloads all those magical canons and kills so many Kyubeys is still one of the most satisfying scenes I have ever seen.

Last edited:

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I have an open invitation to fist fight anyone who liked Rebellion

I feel the same way. I don't consider it to be canon. For me, the story ends after the series, and possibly continues into Magia Record.

That said, I'm very interested in this new sequel, for two reasons:
1) they have a chance to fix their mistake.
2) any opportunity for me to return to this universe, I will take, for better or worse. I jumped at the chance to watch Rebellion, I jumped at the chance to watch the Magia Record anime, I played what we got of the Magia Record main story in English, and I will watch this too.

Yeah, f this stupid effing effer.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
why? it's a happier ending than the original anime. original anime end was really good, but pretty cruel to homura. she had to live being the only person who remembered madoka. and that ending still allowed the Incubators to exploit the universe. Rebellion finally let homura be happy. sure she's edgy and is like "yeah I'm satan" at the end, but does she actually do anything that bad? nope. she takes care of the incubators. madoka gets to be reunited with her parents.
that's...a very very charitable interpretation of an ending that is meant to be metaphorically about love turning to obsession and possession.

Also, I agree with others that call Rebellion a masterpiece. Can't wait for this new movie.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
loved the show and really enjoyed rebellion. optimistic for this.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
This reminds me that I haven't watch any of the movies.

I recently decided to rewatch all the previous Evangelion movies in preparation for the new one only to come to a conclusion that it was a fucking pain trying to watch old (or any) anime movies (finding out they made it available for free for a limited time recently made me felt even more shitty).

So, I assumed it's also the same for this?

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Rebellion was amazing. I still remember watching it and my reaction to Madoka coming to take Homura away. I was literally yelling at my screen "End the movie now! End it now!" because I knew that there was no way it was going to end with that happy ending. I did not expect Homura to become the Devil to overpower Godoka.

Amazing scene.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for this. I personally love Rebellion

We did get a Holy Mami though

Man, Magireco is not the most well written thing in the world but seeing Sayaka vs Mami here was well worth it.

Wish we had gotten some season 2 news to go along with the movie announcement but it is what it is I guess.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
it is 2021 and Madoka Rebellion discourse has returned, threatening as it does to claim the whole earth in its wake. Honestly let's fucking go. Pick your side. I'm team Rebellion is a masterpiece that makes a fantastic series even better. Let's hope this new movie is good I'm very nervous but I trust Gen.

It truly was a masterpiece on every level.

Rebellion was TLJ before TLJ.

Both, naturally, will stand the test of time as masterpieces in their respective genres.

I regret nothing

Except Rebellion was actually awesome and respected everything that came before, despite claims to the contrary by some.

I do like The Last Jedi and think it is good, merely good, but I also think it is very flawed. But the last movie giving in to the whining fandom was just awful trash.

I cannot wait to see what Madoka and Homura have in store.

I'm down, Rebellion is the best thing to come out of this series

It truly is.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how people could watch the original series closing on this shot:
fuDcGl.jpg

And think that was the perfect place to end things, as if Homura growing giant evil Gekidan Inu Curry wings is something that will surely have no consequences whatsoever.
With the original tv ending, the implication seemed to be just that Homura would fight for years until one day dying/about to turn into a witch and then Madoka would come pick her soul.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Fascinating to see people who liked Rebellion in here.

My gf showed me Madoka and Tutu when we started dating after I showed her FMA Brotherhood and Gurren. The movie had just come out and the two people we knew who loved Madoka both separately told us the same thing: "do not watch Rebellion. It will retroactively hurt your enjoyment of the series".

I was in disbelief so I Googled it. Yup. When Rebellion was first subbed and available, it was absolutely reviled by fans and the very, very few people who dared to admit liking it were shouted down by the majority. It was an ugly scene and I still haven't watched it. It seemed like it was a lose/lose situation. Now that the dust has settled, the only criticism of Rebellion that holds water is based on whether or not you agreed with the reverse direction of that character's arc (which was immediately spoiled for me).

Funny that someone just mentioned The Last Jedi, because the people that defend Rebellion insist that it's the best thing about Madoka while those who treasured Madoka as a new classic anime, still cling to their "Rebellion doesn't exist" mantra.

I have a feeling I'm going to hate what they do with that character. But for the record? I didn't hate Luke's arc in The Last Jedi.

...I'm going to have to suck it up and watch Rebellion.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Rebellion was great, the ending worked fine on its own, but it was clear that they were setting up for another sequel.

I think people who dislike Rebellion are in a minority, the majority of people I've encountered enjoyed it.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Great news

I thought rebellion was edgelord when I first watched it, but rewatching the tv series showed that it's a completely natural progression of Homura's character arc and actually elevated the tv series character development.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They better be following up on that concept movie and give us Holy Mami. Just another step to making the quintet their own pantheon.

That was actually the one concept that I wasn't a fan of from that teaser movie.

Implying that they want Mami to be the biggest opposition to Devil Homura feels more like fanservice than anything else. We already got our big Homura vs Mami fight in the previous movie, and there really isn't much that ties the two thematically.

My Sayaka vs Homura headcanon hope is, admittedly, also fanservice, but also works on a thematic level and follows up beautifully with what was already shown in Rebellion (the Madoka series has some fantastic symbolism and imagery, but it can also be blunt as hell with the symbolism when it wants to be).

Their relationship is also the most under-explored in the series and just serves as the perfect catalyst for their encounter: They both share a common goal in wanting to protect their best friend, but they also carry the extreme opposite ideals that Madoka strove for.

It's the perfect kind of rivalry, because neither are entirely wrong and their end goal is almost the same. That's why I'm hoping for something that's both a beautiful kick-ass fight scene but also filled with a lot of heartache and idealistic discussions. The kind of stuff Urobuchi is best known for.

It would be real disappointing if they tossed aside that concept for "Let's just give Mami bigger guns".

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Rebellion was great, the ending worked fine on its own, but it was clear that they were setting up for another sequel.

I think people who dislike Rebellion are in a minority, the majority of people I've encountered enjoyed it.
They are absolutely not in the minority.

When Rebellion first came out the vast majority hated it, primarily over Homura. I was told on multiple occasions, by multiple people, not to watch it because "it regressed and ruined one of the best character arcs in the series" and "it will retroactively hurt your memory of loving the anime". At the time, I didn't believe them. I tend to find that people overreact to things so I Googled it and sure enough, that was the same reaction by an insanely large margin. As I said before, the fans who liked it were initially a quiet minority.

But the scale is sliding and over time it has shifted toward the middle. ERA is responding to it similar to how it responds to The Last Jedi...which I didn't hate, so I should probably suck it up and watch Rebellion.

And people now seem to interpret Homura's arc differently than it was initially received. I wonder why?

I thought rebellion was edgelord when I first watched it, but rewatching the tv series showed that it's a completely natural progression of Homura's character arc and actually elevated the tv series character development.
Case in point. Now I'm excited to finally watch it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The ending of Rebellion took a decent movie and elevated it to an amazing one. Not sure how you top that, though I'm sure we'll see some brutal consequences for how things ended.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
gawrsh, homura... another movie?

I mean, that's how Anime actually makes money. The original 12 episodes had the explicit purpose of setting the stage for them to sell tickets for a Movie. That's how it goes with pretty much every non-adaptation original anime.

TV runs never make money on their own, they make their money on selling things like Blu-rays, Manga, Movie Tickets, Mobile Hacks, Merch, OVAs, etc. Why do you think David Production milked out the Rohan OVAs so hard between Pt4/5 and 5/6?

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I like the message of homuras turning point in rebellion, but thought it was still kind of a trash twist if I had tbh. like i totally get what they were going for but I felt like I saw a character just completely flip a switch in a way that made me feel incredibly confused to what was happening lol.
That being said it's been a long time since I've seen rebellion and I wanna give it another go eventually. This is exciting news and I'll still watch whatever comes of it.

Uzzy

Gabeā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
With the original tv ending, the implication seemed to be just that Homura would fight for years until one day dying/about to turn into a witch and then Madoka would come pick her soul.

Yup, it's a 'the fight continues' ending, it didn't need to lead on to anything. Had the series ended there it'd have been a wonderful place to finish.

But then Rebellion came along, broke apart that ending and led to something new. I'm a huge fan of Rebellion, it's fantastic in many ways, but it's absolutely an incomplete work. As someone stated above, the original series was the thesis, Rebellion the antithesis (and how!), and now we need the synthesis. Hopefully this film is that.