• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, exactly. This isn't quite the simple slam dunk some people here seem to think it is.
Yeah courts don't rely on emotional knee jerk reactions to make determinations like this. These threads are frustrating as there is good conversation to be had on the case but everyone wants to just react emotionally and make baseless assumptions.

Our close contact and mask wearing guidelines have changed substantially since April and we can probably point to our own workplaces and look back and shake our heads at what we did then versus now as we learned more about the virus.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Do you mandate not wearing a mask and then look back on that decision like, "Oh boy, we really screwed that up," because I think it's pretty clear now that wearing a mask is one of the most productive ways to prevent the spread of the virus. If my boss told me to not wear a mask back in April I would have told him to go F himself. Who the hell does that? I think the misinformation/alternate facts coming from the government this year did more to harm people than keep them safe smdh.

Nov 27, 2017
California
My cousin was told he couldn't wear a mask at the start of the pandemic and he quit after they said that, he got a job at another supermarket but what the fuck at chains forbidding masks in general, especially at the start of the pandemic

RIP and I hope that family sues the shit outta them

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Wow the publixes in sc and atlanta since atleast may or June have been super strict about the masks. Guess the real reason makes sense. smh.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As a Publix manager we were never told to tell people they couldn't wear masks, gloves. It wasn't required until late April to wear masks. I do agree we waited to long for the mandate.

What I don't agree with is not enforcing customers to wear them even though we have signs saying you must wear one to enter.
Lowes was similiar when I was there. While they never said don't wear masks, the lack of guidance basically let individual managers come up with their own policies on things, and I had heard of this sort of thing happening at some stores elsewhere. Some store managers are just unintelligent assholes who will do shit like this if you don't have them on a tight leash.

Corporate behaviour/communication didn't seem to start changing until after a few employees died. Even then, we were too lax on things. Store manager and corporate were loving our record sales during lockdown though.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm not sure if wearing a mask would have been effective way to protect him, as mask wearing mostly prevents ones droplets from being spread. However the company is absolutely responsible if they did not enforce mask mandates for their employees and all customers.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I had no idea some states took so long to do this. My state issued a mandatory mask mandate when in buisnesses or within 6 feet of others outside in very early April, right when the CDC started recommending them. This really sucks, especially because I don't understand why they would forbid him from doing so upon request.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if wearing a mask would have been effective way to protect him, as mask wearing mostly prevents ones droplets from being spread. However the company is absolutely responsible if they did not enforce mask mandates for their employees and all customers.
I was thinking this turned out to be not true, though I guess the type of mask is probably an important factor.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. i live in SFL and Publix has been my go-to for years. hope they get the pants sued off them for negligence.

I have a friend that works at Giant in PA and said they dont wear masks either.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh wow, I didn't know there was a time where Publix was not allowing their employees to wear masks.

Publix is awesome, but is now on my list unless they pay a huge settlement AND issues a profuse apology to not just their employees but to their customers among whom their poor critical thinking may have also resulted in additional deaths that will forever go uncredited to the business.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I hope the family rakes them over the coals in court.

There's no excuse for corporations not enforcing employee safety as soon as even a sniff of potential danger to them and customers was known. Sure, I work in an office, but we didn't fuck around with this pandemic. We started our work from home policy in early March, and we won't be heading back into the office anytime soon either.

Having lost multiple family members to Covid 19 this year, I don't give a shit about what excuses these companies come up with as to why they failed to take the situation seriously and implement safety precautions as soon as possible. What's the worst that could have happened? They enforced some mask wearing for employees and customers, and if it turned out to be nothing, no big deal. As it stands, 260,000 people have died, and it took too long for the powers that be to act.

I really hope this family gets some justice.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Wow, but why would they even forbid it? I mean, I can understand if it wasn't mandatory at the time, but why keep someone from exercising that extra precaution?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Considering they wouldn't even let them wear masks, I'm gonna go ahead and guess the cleaning/sanitizing procedures were not in place either. The fact that they're only suing for 30k is sad.

You don't know who he got it from. Could've been a fellow associate.

Wow, but why would they even forbid it? I mean, I can understand if it wasn't mandatory at the time, but why keep someone from exercising that extra precaution?
Employees told the Times and the federal safety and health administration that Publix supervisors said mask use would cause shoppers to panic.
^This bullshit right here is why. He literally feared for his own safety, but oh noes.. the customers might panic. If you check the link, it also says they finally "caved" to let some workers wear masks, but the deli team (where he worked) was still not allowed to do so. They didn't do shit till March 31st and he was already exposed then considering they sent him home on April 2nd and he had symptoms on April 6th. ie he was already exposed mid March.

Sue. Them. Into. The Ground.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Back in March/April a Publix employee in Jax called into NPR stating he was forbidden from wearing a mask at work as well.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Companies are always so full of themselves when it comes to their stupid little dress codes... As if their employees are fucking dolls to dress as they please.

I hope they get sued into oblivion.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing because all the Publix I have been have everyone wears masks. I hope his family wins the case and sues the living fuck out of them.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Not requiring masks for all employess is shameful. Preventing them from wearing one is straight up criminal. Manslaughter.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
RIP.

Forbidding masks is just plain evil. What the fuck man. "I'm sorry but we can't allow you to protect others."

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
And this is one of the reasons why Dems in Congress don't want to give in to the Reps demands regarding a new stimulus... Publix would not be liable for his death.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That company is straight up evil, fuck that. Do they allow people to work with the flu as well. Hope the family drags Publix for this

And this is one of the reasons why Dems in Congress don't want to give in to the Reps demands regarding a new stimulus... Publix would not be liable for his death.

^

As much gets thrown around about "Wanting less money" this is the main thing the GOP is after.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Publix is generally known as a good company to work for - it was my first job in high school - I'm surprised they didn't err on the side of making sure their employees were safe. Extremely disappointing and tragic.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Bingo! Great point, and I am saddened that Dems have to put their foot down to protect the people because Reps want to protect corporations. GA Senate runoff becomes more important every day.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah courts don't rely on emotional knee jerk reactions to make determinations like this. These threads are frustrating as there is good conversation to be had on the case but everyone wants to just react emotionally and make baseless assumptions.
Come again?

www.latimes.com

At Harvey Weinstein trial, prosecutors try to overcome image of a 'harmless old man' in court

Each day in court, Harvey Weinstein enters slowly with a walker. Prosecutors have repeatedly tried to portray the mogul as a once-hulking figure.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
During SARS, my workplace said something along the lines of wearing a mask will scare customers into thinking the place isn't safe.

That's so ridiculous. Like, who wears masks? Doctors, people working in lab/fab clean rooms, etc. Masks to me imply the maximum intent for maintaining safety.

Like I can't even with this idea they've got in their head that people want some hairy-armed dude coughing into his sleeve while hacking at meat rather than someone in a clean apron and medical mask.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

This opens up the door to alot more potential abuse from big business too. 1200 stimulus ain't going to be worth that if a company is able to put you in a situation that gets you gravely Ill and gets to walk off leaving you to struggle alone

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Jax and every Publix here does absolutely nothing to the many that come in maskless. It's infuriating.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I live in Jax and every Publix here does absolutely nothing to the many that come in maskless. It's infuriating.

The only reason we have people wearing masks here because theres an ordinance within city limits that will fine you if you don't wear them. The stores in other towns don't and the difference is staggering. We get way more traffic at our store because of it. I've heard this from the mouths of may other customers that would drive 20-30+ miles to the capital city to do grocery shopping because people are forced to wear masks in this city.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
DeSantis just renewed his order that prohibits local governments from enforcing mask mandates. He is a stupid, cruel and evil piece of shit.