• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
This needs to be taken seriously if publishers want to enable cross play between console and PCs. But instead rely on a software like Easy Anti Cheat or Battle Eye that has access to the system's Kernal and is more intrusive rather than detecting and banning cheaters. Linux gamers cannot play games that uses Battle Eye because they get banned for using a Virtual Machine.

Finding a cheat engine isn't hard, I did a google search to find one and it was the first result and YouTube is filled with video show casing how the cheat engine works. They've tried suing, but it's not stopping people from making new ones. This is a multi billion dollar industry and they don't seem to care enough to protect online game communities from cheaters but will go far enough to do a DMCA takedown on every other thing. Web Host should be reviewing and removing sites that sells cheat engines, Google should be scrubbing search results and removing videos on YouTube. Those are just my suggestion but they should at least do something.

7th generations console games have already been ruined by hackers. You cannot play a Call of Duty game without running into cheaters and Microsoft is all about preserving last gen games. And it's only a matter of time when cheaters will move on to the Xbox One and Ps4 once support for the hardware ends.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
They are taking it seriously but online cheating will never be completely eliminated. Fighting cheaters is an ongoing game of whack-a-mole because of how lucrative selling the cheats can be.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
The question: How locked down would you like your PC to be to counter cheaters? Like a console?
Not being able to run anything but a signed BIOS, signed copy of Windows, with only signed (GPU) drivers, and only the signed game (no other executable at the same time)...
This is most likely not enough...

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
You mean cheaters from crossplay right. There is no "hacker" cheats for consoles.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I don't think there is a real solution to this. It's why I fundamentally can't care about online events and why in-person events will always be vital.

When it comes to the FGC the input delay is real and online is very different relative to offline.
In shooters, I can't really care, but having worked for a modded controller company, I know there are a lot of ways to gain subtle advantages aside from just PC mods.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
You mean cheaters from crossplay right. There is no "hacker" cheats for consoles.
While not an aimbot or the like, there are still DDOS attacks on console. Don't follow many other console shooters but I understand that competitive Destiny play has this issue, especially when stakes are raised in the Trials playlist.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
While not an aimbot or the like, there are still DDOS attacks on console. Don't follow many other console shooters but I understand that competitive Destiny play has this issue, especially when stakes are raised in the Trials playlist.
Yeah well thats down to the devs not using shitty P2P stuff.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The online gaming community doesn't like it when publishers try to take online cheating seriously. Every time there's a serious attempt there's massive backlash, and publishers often have to backpedal.

Oct 25, 2017
My ideal scenario? Separate crossplay between pc and consoles. You can choose where you want to play.

That way I can avoid pc players in my games. No offense. But I have no interest in playing with pc players.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The question: How locked down would you like your PC to be to counter cheaters? Like a console?
Not being able to run anything but a signed BIOS, signed copy of Windows, with only signed (GPU) drivers, and only the signed game (no other executable at the same time)...
This is most likely not enough...
Depends on the game. The way I see it is if people want fair play then there has to be some control. People are free to not play the game then but the game maker should also be free to come up with security measures without the internet in its usual frenzy "what about my privacy!" they love to spread as if they are going to be sniffing through our hard drives and posting it on Instagram.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of cheats are around these days? Are wallhacks still a thing, or do servers handle visibility checks and only send clients info on things the player can actually see?

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite always kept it under control when I was playing it, but it's been a long while since I last played. Wish other devs could do the same.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The online gaming community doesn't like it when publishers try to take online cheating seriously. Every time there's a serious attempt there's massive backlash, and publishers often have to backpedal.
Yeah because many of these measures are very invasive.
MY pirvacy is worth more than being able to play a video game.
THere's also video games like Doom Eternal where the anit cheat was installed even for the single player mode, which they rectified thankfully.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because many of these measures are very invasive.
MY pirvacy is worth more than being able to play a video game.
THere's also video games like Doom Eternal where the anit cheat was installed even for the single player mode, which they rectified thankfully.
Extensive anti-cheat measures
Full privacy

Pick one

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
They are taking it seriously but online cheating will never be completely eliminated. Fighting cheaters is an ongoing game of whack-a-mole because of how lucrative selling the cheats can be.
I can't speak for all games, but there is some very obvious example where it's hard to believe it's taken seriously, the most recent one for me being Battlefield V.

cf this post : https://www.resetera.com/threads/battlefield-v-ot2-empire-of-the-soon.145140/page-68#post-29619746

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Extensive anti-cheat measures
Full privacy

Pick one
Privacy
It's not that hard of a choice
Not like I play that much competitive multiplayer stuff either way
Anti-piracy measures have already been crazy enough
And these things always hit innocent customers harder than the ones they are actually set in place for.

Oct 27, 2017
Privacy
It's not that hard of a choice
Not like I play that much competitive multiplayer stuff either way
Anti-piracy measures have already been crazy enough
And these things always hit innocent customers harder than the ones they are actually set in place for.

I'm not saying it's a difficult choice, I'm saying it's difficult to have both, especially when you consider the nature of a lot of cheat software and measures

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's going to be no realistic way of preventing it on PC that people will (or should) agree to, cross play with consoles and PC should not be enabled by default is the only real answer, just console only cross play with an option to enable PC too. It's one of the benefits of console gaming and while it may be unfair for legit PC players to be locked out of playing with console players, the benefit of the closed systems preventing the larger scale cheating scene that is on PC is something that should be protected.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only somewhat realistic solution is that someday AIs will be smart enough to detect cheats reliably no matter how many new ones are created.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Finding cheaters programmatically is really hard to the point that it might literally be impossible to stop all cheating. The only real effective way to stop large scale cheating is to have a bunch of people whose job it is to look at reports and ban players who are obviously cheating. Sadly alot of publishers aren't willing to spend the money to do it.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Online leaderboards are the worst. Why are impossible scores at the top? Like completing a game in 1 second?

You'd think they'd be easy to get removed but I couldn't even work out how to report them.

(Of course it's not always easy to tell, is using glitches legit etc but at least do something about the obvious ones)

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Unless game companies joins with hardware manufacturers, nothing will change. We need anti-cheat measures at a hardware level.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I think the only somewhat realistic solution is that someday AIs will be smart enough to detect cheats reliably no matter how many new ones are created.
This is my take on this as well. Forget detecting the cheating software. Instead detect the cheating patterns (pre aiming; snapping onto a target). Training of the ai could be done by community reporting and judging.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world, devs would take care of cheating on PC.

In the real world, the bandaid is to play on console and prevent crossplay with PC.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every other game of Fall Guys has a hacker in it now :(

I'm definitely the minority here, but I'd be willing to install something like vanguard for every game if it means that would solve the problem.

Oct 31, 2017
Main reason I can not go all-in on PC competitive and still have to consider the console versions. Cheating is a serious problem even today. There are a lot of jabronis in PC gaming.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finding cheaters programmatically is really hard to the point that it might literally be impossible to stop all cheating. The only real effective way to stop large scale cheating is to have a bunch of people whose job it is to look at reports and ban players who are obviously cheating. Sadly alot of publishers aren't willing to spend the money to do it.

One thing publishers could do is allow for community server rental. Historically, effectively-administered community servers have been one of the best ways of combating cheating and toxicity in general. And the pubs could even make money from it!!

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Why is cheating so prevalent? It's always been around (I remember mods watching out for cheaters during Tribes...). Are people that obsessed with winning games?

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Cheating will only go away when games run completely in the cloud. Who knows how long it will be until then, if it will even ever be truely viable for genres that demand low latency like shooters or fighters.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Cheats will always exist, best you can hope for is a publisher caring and combatting it without going overboard (which doesn't leave them much IMO).

Nov 14, 2017
What kind of cheats are around these days? Are wallhacks still a thing, or do servers handle visibility checks and only send clients info on things the player can actually see?
Calculating what a player can see can be quite an expensive operation. Valorant is one of the few games that tries to limit it by doing a PVS calculation for each player before sending the data. So, when it works properly wallhacks can only see around corners. That's still a big deal, but it's better than most games.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Duration Pending): Xenophobia
Why is cheating so prevalent? It's always been around (I remember mods watching out for cheaters during Tribes...). Are people that obsessed with winning games?

I think a big contributor to the rise of cheating today is that more and more chinese people got into gaming together with their winning at all costs mentality.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I think a big contributor to the rise of cheating today is that more and more chinese people got into gaming together with their winning at all costs mentality.

I know in MMOs Chinese players are known for ruining the economies with bots and gold selling accounts, however is there a reason you're singling them out for cheating in this context? Just not sure where that's coming from.

Oct 27, 2017
I know in MMOs Chinese players are known for ruining the economies with bots and gold selling accounts, however is there a reason you're singling them out for cheating in this context? Just not sure where that's coming from.

For example PUBG comes to mind where players where asking to region lock chinese players for ages since cheating was so rampant with them.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Warzone is the best example. Turn off crossplay and things feel like they used to playing blackout. Turn it on and the difference is instantaneous. Wallhacks and aimbot galore. Fortunately Sony gave PS4 users the option to turn it off. I'd like MS to do the same or get the option to only play with console players.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, I guess the only solution to that problem is to get a super locked down system/console and pray its engineers did a good job (as in not overlooking a hardware level exploit).

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
For example PUBG comes to mind where players where asking to region lock chinese players for ages since cheating was so rampant with them.
It is true PUBG at least had loads of cheaters, but I don't know if you can single out Chinese here. I'm under the assuption the game is huge in China. It could be just from the sheer volume of players. Now the game is region locked and pretty much dead at least in NA. I guess you can go to other regions with VPN. There's a ranked playlist that needs to be paired with a phone number, but I think there's still cheaters.

Cheating is where the hype is. Was a fucking disease in Halo 2, but Bungie got their shit in order eventually. Took maybe a year. Or the cheaters just quit.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Every other game of Fall Guys has a hacker in it now :(

I'm definitely the minority here, but I'd be willing to install something like vanguard for every game if it means that would solve the problem.

That right there tells me not to buy the game then.

Developers/publishers need to handle this shit, as I'd imagine it affects game sales.