• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I recently tried out Stadia Pro and wanted to play Valhalla from my phone using it and realized that I could do so through Ubisoft Connect and that everything is on the cloud. It's so convenient especially if you own multiple consoles. If more publishers did this I would probably double dip often.

Kudos to Ubisoft for doing this. I also started Fenyx Rising on my PC and was able to continue on my PS5.

Why isn't this a thing yet???

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I agree, cross progression would literally make me buy games on multiple platforms. Should be a way more common.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed it for Hades. I played a bit on my switch and a bit on my PC. Easy way to tempt me to buy games more than once.

This is one reason I am excited about Xcloud. I can play a bit on my phone and a the rest on an Xbox. It's very seamless.

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
Cross progression/Cross Save would probably result in more double up sales from individual consumers. Surprised publishers don't see the upside to implementing a feature that will result in more money lol

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The endgame is all-digital, all-crossplay, all cross-progression. Just wish we could get there more quickly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I been saying this. I was psyched about Like a Dragon being on Series S until I realized i don't want to replay the 30 hours i put inot my ps4 edition

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Agreed.

It should be the norm for MS games between Steam and Xbox/Windows Store, I would use Game Pass so much more, but thinking I would have to start over at Steam makes me just wait for a sale.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
As long as it doesn't remove the ability to have offline saves, and doesn't lock your saves to either being online only or offline only....

If that is the case, bring it on!

Nov 8, 2017
I mostly agree. I'm tired of double dipping though. The industry needs to come up with a cross licensing scheme akin to Movies Anywhere.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
Same. I'd definitely buy games twice on PS5 and Series X. I do have two friend groups on both platforms.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I mostly agree. I'm tired of double dipping though. The industry needs to come up with a cross licensing scheme akin to Movies Anywhere.
I totally agree but I doubt it will ever happen. The gaming industry is too stuck in their ways of having everything siloed off from one another. MS is trying to create a seamless experience across multiple platforms but I'd like to see all the major publishers work to have a consistent/unified system for multiplats rather than a bunch of different sub platforms.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
you have my axe!

i'd honestly buy more copies of games if i could swap seamlessly between xbox and ps5, i think ubisoft is slowly trying to do it in their games.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
The fact Xbox has been doing cloud saves for like…ever and Play Anywhere for 5 or 6 years and it's still not a nearly universal industry standard is ludicrous.

Nintendo doesn't even cross buy/play/progression within its OWN ecosystem. It's a chore just moving Switches. And Sony is really only marginally better b/c Plus requirements.

it's insane. I don't know why people support it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Someone needs to create/host a cross-platform cloud storage service first. The closest is Steam which requires active use of HTTPS, your own oauth implementation and a fully valid Steam login, which isn't entirely ideal. Nothing else really exists at this time so there's no easy way to implement this, let alone without making your own cloud storage service.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I been saying this. I was psyched about Like a Dragon being on Series S until I realized i don't want to replay the 30 hours i put inot my ps4 edition
Interesting example.

I specifically bought Like a Dragon from the MS Store instead of Steam because I knew I would be able to continue playing it when I got my Series S a little while later.

Nintendo doesn't even cross buy/play/progression within its OWN ecosystem. It's a chore just moving Switches. And Sony is really only marginally better b/c Plus requirements.
Funnily enough though, they had that whole PC-Switch cross-save thing for a while. Hades, The Witcher 3, Civ VI, Divinity 2...

I bought Hades on Switch only because it was cross-save with my PC copy.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I often find myself wishing more games had it.

Specifically the other day with Stardew Valley I was thinking about how awesome it'd be to be able to cross-save between Switch and PC.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 30 hours into Trails of Cold Steel III on PS4, want to play the game on Switch instead now, but don't want to lose all my progress from the PS4 version.

It. SUCKS. And makes me really wish we had a cross-save system for this series.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Someone needs to create/host a cross-platform cloud storage service first. The closest is Steam which requires active use of HTTPS, your own oauth implementation and a fully valid Steam login, which isn't entirely ideal. Nothing else really exists at this time so there's no easy way to implement this, let alone without making your own cloud storage service.

Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale has "manual" cross progression, where you can synch progress between mobile and PC versions by inputting a code generated in one to the other. I've never seen any other game doing it. Granted, having to input code whenever you want to synch your versions isn't ideal either, but much better than nothing.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale has "manual" cross progression, where you can synch progress between mobile and PC versions by inputting a code generated in one to the other. I've never seen any other game doing it. Granted, having to input code whenever you want to synch your versions isn't ideal either, but much better than nothing.
Doom64 has that as well, between all platforms including the Nintendo64. That's not exactly what's being asked, though. :V