• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
A brilliant idea I had while in my comfortable, private home bathroom.

I don't know why more places don't do this. Advantages I can think of:

1. More inclusivity/access. With single toilets, only one person is in there at a time, making all of them unisex.

2. Good word of mouth. Let's face it: Nobody wants to go do business out in a public setting. But stuff happens, and people will recognize when an establishment makes an effort to make people feel comfortable when it's needed.

3. Cleanliness. With multiple stalls, there's always some gross shit (no pun intended) to be found. I have to believe this comes down to: people being nervous or quick to leave, and, less responsibility.

The former point is self-explanatory. In regards to the latter; people would simply feel more responsibility in a single toilet restroom. Anyone entering afterwards would know who either made a mess or ignored it, which would lead to greater effort to leave it looking decent. There would also be the tremendous benefit of having a waste basket in reach of the toilet: no need to hope your garbage lands in the toilet bowl!

4. Lower cost. I'll admit I'm less certain about this point than the others, but please hear me out. The number of sinks and toilets would remain the same. Amount of hand sanitizer used would be stable as well. Waste baskets are a negligible amount.

Really, the only cost would be extra doors and walls. In exchange, you no longer need to buy stalls and urinals. Toilet paper would go down a bit, as less waste occurs. But you get a huge benefit of time.

See, people would be in and out quicker. And less waiting in line would also happen. On the personnel side, more cleanliness from the public means less time and money needed for the workers to clean for them.

Thus, for a small upfront cost, you would inevitably save money in the long-term. This isn't even accounting for occurrences such as a broken toilet. Whereas a stall commune would be shut down, only a mere singular one would be off limits.

I'm positive there are many, many more great changes that would transpire from this. But my time is up, and I don't wish to subject ERA to a dissertation. Thank you, dear reader, for being a dear and reading. If you advocate for this enough, one day we WILL live in a society where using public restrooms is a little less stressful. And any small good in the world, is a puzzle piece of the greater good. Adios.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I've been to a few restaurants like this, it's pretty nice, even if it means no urinals

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are building codes that negate you just building walls and adding doors to existing stalls. That would just be madness.

One of the best restroom ideas I have seen are unisex single use toilets with the sinks in the waiting area. In my experience it almost guarantees people wash their hands.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
These were my favorite style in bars/restaurants.

That being said, what fucking cretin invented trough urinals?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

p.s.
zqob4CH.png

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You can fit more stalls/spaces in the same amount of space compared to individual rooms. In high traffic areas, that means more throughput and shorter lines.

That being said, I'll use single stall rooms whenever I have the choice.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Individual rooms are actually very expensive from an infrastructure level; urinals and stalls are much cheaper. But yes, they are nicer.

The real solution is to have multi-stall bathrooms that are actually nice, like in foreign countries. No gaps, no flimsy, paper thin walls. Make them ceiling to floor and with closing doors.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I hope we can one day reach a point in society (we live in one) where we can just enter the damn room, enter a stall and take our shit without anyone judging what gender we are.

But the reality is the second building administrations notice they can get away with putting everyone in the same room or create single rooms for everyone, we'll just lose toilet space overall.

There is no happy ending with more space, more comfortable toilets with good toilet paper in. It'll be the same thing we have now, only with less space.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
For pubs/bars/venues which get busier this set up is often complemented by a room of urinals. I think that's the best of both worlds. A row of stalls for all, and then urinals to help increase capacity and speed.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Stalls/urinals keep the actual toilets cleaner because less people piss on the seats. Also, most guys aren't nervous about using them and are happy with the way things are.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Urinals are so much nicer to use if u just need to pee. I know a guy who installed one in his home even.

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm understanding right, they're called (or used to be called) super loos here in the UK OP, a self contained WC cubicle formed of full floor to ceiling partitions, each one containing a toilet pan, a wash hand basin, etc.

I spend a curious amount of time designing them at work (ama ha ha), given the chance I'll always design these in a space over traditional gendered rooms, but there are limitations;

- they take up a little bit more space as you need to accommodate the minimum WC dimensions required in the building regs and the partition widths. This is often the killer when looking refurbish or retrofit existing toilets.

- provision needs to remain the same as a typical gendered install which can be an issue. The required provision calculations change when urinals are not installed for example which pushes up the amount of cubicles you end up needing and therefore the space required. Urinals are great for getting large amounts of people in and out swiftly and preventing queues which matters in certain environments. This obviously feeds into the space consideration above and can kill the idea even when the desire is there.

- they're typically more expensive to install (than your standard 20mm thick off the shelf toilet partitions that fit together like Lego) as they're more bespoke, and require heftier doors, individual hand driers/paper dispensers etc, they need to be painted/finished seperately so there is an extra design, materials and labour cost associated with that. And rarely in the history of human endeavour was there a time when cost was not the overriding concern.

- don't underestimate the egregious things people do in a toilet, the state they leave them in. Giving people more privacy absolutely does not lead to more responsibility to keep it clean for the next person, certain people make a mess in toilets because they're garbage people, not because they're rushed or uncomfortable and they'll continue to do this in a super loo, often more so thanks to the added privacy.

If these elements can be overcome though, they're so much better than your typical gendered cubicles. Being non gendered these days is a great thing, simpler and more inclusive for everyone and completely agree that an individual toilet for everyone is usually much more pleasant experience.