• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
For the next gen release of this game in about 2 years or so, should they develop a completely new game from the ground up aka pubg 2 or should they just keep gradually trying to improve what they already have?
perhaps a 60fps console version would be enough. I imagine they're gonna want to keep updating the game rather than put out a sequel.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
It's no DF, but here's a comparison of all 4 versions (enhanced and standard consoles):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109TxITN2yY&index=8&list=WL&t=85s

Pro definitely has more shimmer/aliasing than X on distant fences, power lines etc., probably due to lower res (1440p perhaps?) but everything else like textures etc., look the same. Framerate actually seems pretty stable from what I've seen in streams too.

Expected far worse tbh.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited this has finally come to ps4, but want to hear more impressions from the base ps4 versions before I purchase.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Finally been playing a few rounds. Playing on PS4 Pro, seems to run pretty solidly at 30fps except for the very beginning when you're on a plane. Played on the 3 different maps as well.

It's been said but this game is pretty ugly. Not a looker for sure. I would say it looks marginally better than H1Z1 but that's not saying much.

Having fun though. Total noob but I like that there's a skill curve. I need to get to looting faster cause I'm in menu way too long

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Still my favorite BR game. Not sure if I wanna double dip tho.

Why are people comparing this to Fortnite? Apples and oranges. I suspect they have played neither of them.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Had a blast all day Friday and on our second game got a chicken dinner as duos.

Black Out has been our favorite BR title and while PUBG obviously looks no where as good as that, the gameplay is a nice counter balance to the formers more fast paced rounds. Definitely a bigger learning curve but just as rewarding especially when it gets down the last few.

Performance seemed noticebly better over the Xbox One S which I owned the game on too. Looking forward to the rest of my friends grabbing it so that we'll be rotating this and Black Out.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This is a bit late. Everyone's too busy being cowboys.

Hopefully it means more of those Panic City videos on YouTube. 🤞🏼

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I just beat RDR2 and have been wanting to play this since the PC only days. Taken the plunge and just bought it this morning.

If anyone wants to squad up on PS4 add me: funky_ole

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So, has PUBG ever been on sale on other platforms, or had free to play weekends?
Really want to give it a go, but 30 bucks is way above my give-it-a-go price range :-)

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite BR game. Not sure if I wanna double dip tho.

Why are people comparing this to Fortnite? Apples and oranges. I suspect they have played neither of them.
Two high profile BR games. Comparisons are bound to happen. I own it on X1, and before I bought it I was comparing it to Fortnite since it's free, the only investment is my time.

Anyway, waiting for the DF video. Not buying it again since PUBG is not for me, but curious to see how it stacks up against the Xbox version

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it on base PS4 and it's honestly not as bad as I was expecting. Visually it's not great which was to be expected, but the performance is actually fine. I've only played a handful of matches so far though.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I really hope you all enjoy the game. I know the Xbox version is divisive but I honestly love what they did with the UI and how they mapped the mouse and keyboard controls over to gamepads. They didn't get rid of any of the complexity and I got used to it surprisingly quickly. And thanks to the way the weapons feel, I still enjoy Pubg more than Fortnite and Blackout.

So, has PUBG ever been on sale on other platforms, or had free to play weekends?
Really want to give it a go, but 30 bucks is way above my give-it-a-go price range :-)
Yeah, it's gone on sale for $15-20 on Xbox a few times and also had a few free weekends when it did.

PanPan

Nov 23, 2017
I got it from Amazon, wasn't it supposed to come with the Nathan Drake outfit and Ellie backpack?

Not important I know.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm happy with what I've seen so I'll definitely be buying it. Just got to finish some great games from last year first.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Won 3 games yesterday i am having a blast with it i never expected 60 but my biggest complaints towards the game is that i wish they would revamp the UI on consoles, it feels ancient compared to other games i feel like i am spending way too much time trying to put on attachments, taking them off, switching them during combat etc.

Also, let me play what fucking modes i want. I don't care if duos ends up getting 50 instead of 100. It's easier to get 1 friend on than 3 for squads. I didn't pay for half the modes and it really irks me.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Run short on funds, but will be picking this up when I get paid.

It's hard to justify 30 bucks on a 30FPS game while Fortnite is silky smooth 60FPS.

Different games, different experience. I don't care for the building mechanics in Fortnite and I enjoy the extra tension I get in PUBG. Also prefer to customize my weapons how I want. Wish people would stop comparing these two games just because they are in the same genre. No one questions why games like Forza or GT exists because we have Mario Kart in the market.

Someone finally made a quick comparison

This might help until we get an in-depth video from digital foundry

Wonder where I could get a performance analysis tool like that. Always wanted one for my own curiosity on those smaller titles no one pays attention to.

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018

PS4 Pro (resolution 1440P)
Mean Frame Rate: 29.69fps
Median Frame Rate: 30fps
Maximum Frame Rate: 30fps
Minimum Frame Rate: 19fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate: 29fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate: 22fps

Xbox One X (resolution 4K)
Mean Frame Rate: 29.85fps
Minimum Frame Rate: 26fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate: 28fps

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York

Its very good performance and gameplay wise. Its the jaggies, shimmering and image texture loading that kinda kills it overall. When you have other BR games with better image quality and 60fps its hard to come back to this.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I picked it up the physical copy yesterday, because I was waiting for some impressions from everyone here. I've always wanted to play it, but my PC couldn't run it and I don't own an Xbox One. I've played a handful of matches and I'm loving it. The gunplay is really good and the overall feel gives me a SOCOM vibe. The highest I've finished is 3rd place so far. I also enjoy how there are different maps that rotate. I'm so used to other BR games just having one map. 🤣

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
After about 20 matches, finally won one. Whew.

DuAi2JYU0AEb5tH

I feel like there's still a lot of shit to learn. I'm still not quite sure how to equip a melee weapon for example. Lol

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Not too bad for Pro, I'm sure it'll get much better with the performance patch. Xbox version improved in a pretty big way over the past few months so I'd expect them to get similar on PS4/Pro.

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
Not too bad for Pro, I'm sure it'll get much better with the performance patch. Xbox version improved in a pretty big way over the past few months so I'd expect them to get similar on PS4/Pro.

Agree on performance, I definitely would expect it to cleanup a bit, but it's already pretty decent. I would assume though that most of the optimizations they've been applying on the Xbox side they've been applying to the PS4 version, pre-release.

However, IQ/resolution wise, 1440P is a huge step down from 4K. That's pretty underwhelming. That means Xbox One X is pushing 2.25x the amount of pixels. I wouldn't have expected PS4 Pro to have such a large dropoff in pixel count although I guess we've seen it with some other games. The pure compute specs aren't anywhere near that different between the two systems, so could be the game is memory bandwidth bottlenecked on the Pro at higher resolutions, not sure.

The game is really not that complex graphically on all systems, very meh in that department. Although it's notoriously poorly optimized so I guess it would probably run terribly if they tried to improve that.

Last edited:

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I really don't know if I want to pick this up yet. I have it on PC but it doesn't play the best. But I just know it will be a PS+ free game soon or at least have a good deal on.

Is the game easy to play with a controller?

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
I really don't know if I want to pick this up yet. I have it on PC but it doesn't play the best. But I just know it will be a PS+ free game soon or at least have a good deal on.

Is the game easy to play with a controller?
Theres a learning curve with the controller if your used to the PC version. I think the only issue is the image quality and that it targeted at 30fps.

Hulkamania78

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester UK
Psn: Hulkamania78 add me guys (UK time)

I have tripled dipped. It's my favourite game since Gears 3 MP wise. I just get it having started playing Fortnite last year without all the building/skin nonsense it was a precursor to PUBG on Xbox1x which I've hammered since.

I have even bought a gaming PC as I've wanted one for years and love PUBG maxed out whatever people think I really enjoy it as an experience no game gets the heart going than the final circle.

I do agree that it is not the best optimised game and wonder whether Microsoft stuck to their developing promise as I don't see the jump we all expected and 60fps is a must still on console.

As for the PS4 I'm playing on the pro and it plays really well so far. Some minor juddering here and there and sometimes the turning circle in Third person mode spins to quick but I am sure it will be supported with a Miriad if patches.

I've been playing Ring Of Elysium PC again after trying the Asian version in the summer but this still beats it for content and excitement.

Sorry for the long post guys

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
so this being the latest BR game I've played and having played basically the main other ones, there's some thoughts I have on what I don't like about PUBG in terms of game design

a) Red zones are stupid and have good reason at not showing up in other BR games. It's just kinda dumb. In a game where luck plays a big part, this just seems a bit unnessary and not a thing I want part of the equation.

b) I appreciate the different map options but Miramar is a bit of a bummer. Mostly cause I think it's too dependent on vehicles. If you don't have one or can't find one, you better be close to the circle, otherwise it's just a whole bunch of running in that match and if you're lucky, not get caught up with the circle.

c) The UI needs to be bigger? If I'm in the plane about to jump with a squad, I want that marker to be larger on the map, and it wouldn't hurt if they do what fortnite does and put it in the game visibly. Also I played a match where my squad members already jumped out of the plane but didn't even notice cause of how hard to see their markers are.

d) what's the deal with all these crate options? Also not too entirely sold on how they're monetizing the game. It's a bit confusing and don't really want to watch a "breakdown video" of what the different crates are and yada yada yada. Something simpler would've been better.

that's all I got for now. Still really enjoying the game though.
What are the wait times like?
i find games right away.