• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
Nirolak is a member of the community and has no affiliation with the staff. Please get back on topic and remember to treat your fellow members with respect and not with conspiracies against them.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, PUBG has always seemed to have disproportionately low appeal on ERA. The fan base just doesn't seem to exist here.
This is true for pretty much every multiplayer game that isn't Destiny.

fTc1ZTV.png

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has criticized the game a lot (while putting over 350 hours into it), the snow map and new patch seem really good. Played with friends last night and had a blast.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd assume most people who wanted to play it already have on Xbox or pc, silly to bring it out so late on ps4
I bought it on my PS4 last night and while i enjoy it, it is still so disappointing to see this game look this bad on consoles so far out after launch.
The performance for me is just so eww. I mean simple shadows are damn near black and sometimes hard to see anything inside some buildings. The aliasing is awful as well.

I can see why this may not do so well on PS4. The game just looks crappy compared to other games on console.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Healthy on all three platforms and the new map is super clean. Buildings everywhere and cover that's not too sparse like the desert map.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The new map has definitely caused an uptick in play, among my friends on Steam, at least. :)

Isn't the Xbox version one of the most played/active games on the console today?

Not at all, and it hasn't been for a while. It's currently at #9:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox?target=games

I look forward to seeing where PS4 PUBG falls on the December PSN store list.

Also, since it keeps getting repeated here, just link us to those posts saying "PUBG is dead" instead of just telling us that the hive-mind known as Restera told you that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox version definitely is not dead but it's been outside the top 10 most played over the last couple months (Basically since they went 1.0).

It's number 9 right now.

Just had my first go on the new snow map! It's really good. Definitely feels more like the first map than the second or third maps. Feels like classic PUBG! Can't wait to play more.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
It's number 9 right now.

Just had my first go on the new snow map! It's really good. Definitely feels more like the first map than the second or third maps. Feels like classic PUBG! Can't wait to play more.
Yeah new map definitely renews my interest, but haven't jumped in yet. Is it only on PTS at the moment?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The new map has definitely caused an uptick in play, among my friends on Steam, at least. :)

Not at all, and it hasn't been for a while. It's currently at #9:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox?target=games
The Xbox version definitely is not dead but it's been outside the top 10 most played over the last couple months (Basically since they went 1.0).

But since launch it's always been in the top 20. Top 20 out of hundreds of games should be considered one of the most active games on the console, no?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I'd assume most people who wanted to play it already have on Xbox or pc, silly to bring it out so late on ps4

I doubt the overlap between PS4 owners and XB1/gaming PC owners is that big to be severely affecting sales tbh.

The truth is that the hype for it is just over and they've missed the boat. Fortnite and BO4 have taken most of their mindshare (excepting mobile as usual).

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But since launch it's always been in the top 20. Top 20 out of hundreds of games should be considered one of the most active games on the console, no?
People love to draw their arbitrary lines. If being in the top 10 doesn't qualify as "one of the most played games" then we're being silly.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
That's the reality of ERA.

No one talks about MP and PC focused titles, people legit think PUBG is dying.
I think if you read past the hyperbole, there's no denying that PUBG was on a downturn.
But from a strategic standpoint, the numbers going back up is really interesting because it gives some validation to shutting down the "Fix PUBG" campaign. Bugfixes and stability just aren't sexy, and they're not going to bring back players. Big content patches give you reactivations.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
It's by no means a dead game but the last half dozen times I've tried to boot it up, I haven't been able to get into a game within 2 minutes so I turn it off. For the first few months it would be immediate (That was when it was 1st or 2nd). Even up to about June, I was getting into matches within 2 minutes.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to give it a go again. Tried it on the test server and had some performance issues.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
The new map is GREAT! This and Sanhok are just really great maps. Maybe it's because they're smaller and the loot doesn't force everyone to go to the same "major" areas every round. I can't wait for the night mode to be added. I had no idea that was even a thing that was coming. It is coming to the desktop version, right?

Yeah new map definitely renews my interest, but haven't jumped in yet. Is it only on PTS at the moment?
Yeah, just PTS at the moment.
Just to be clear, you're talking about the console PTS, yeah?

Because the new map was released to the main PUBG build on PC last week. Mainly just posting this so as to avoid confusion for others.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the night mode to be added. I had no idea that was even a thing that was coming. It is coming to the desktop version, right?
Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff advertised alongside the Vikendi release that isn't in it yet, even on the PC version. There's a night setting with an aurora borealis skybox, someone found a short clip of a blizzard setting that seems like it basically works like fog, reducing long range visibility,* as well as a few other things (a new SMG, a second "bike" variety of snowmobile, and the ability to put angled red dots on the sides of guns, to tilt your gun to swap back and forth between that and a bigger scope)

*I actually can't find this right now, and the official Vikendi site only shows the regular light snow option. It might have just been weird lighting settings passed off as a blizzard setting, but it looked distinct from that.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff advertised alongside the Vikendi release that isn't in it yet, even on the PC version. There's a night setting with an aurora borealis skybox, someone found a short clip of a blizzard setting that seems like it basically works like fog, reducing long range visibility,* as well as a few other things (a new SMG, a second "bike" variety of snowmobile, and the ability to put angled red dots on the sides of guns, to tilt your gun to swap back and forth between that and a bigger scope)

*I actually can't find this right now, and the official Vikendi site only shows the regular light snow option. It might have just been weird lighting settings passed off as a blizzard setting, but it looked distinct from that.
That's really awesome. I kind of went on an involuntary pre-Vikendi blackout as I was just so busy with a bunch of stuff that I largely ignored it until its release. I love night settings. Even if it's the "fake" night that games tend to do, it'll be a nice change of pace to experience.

As for the blizzard stuff, that'll be fun too. I just played in blizzard conditions in one of the Battlefield V maps and damn that was probably the best blizzard weather I've experienced in any game. If PUBG can pull off even a fraction of that experience, it'll be enjoyable to play in.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I doubt the overlap between PS4 owners and XB1/gaming PC owners is that big to be severely affecting sales tbh.

The truth is that the hype for it is just over and they've missed the boat. Fortnite and BO4 have taken most of their mindshare (excepting mobile as usual).
It's still regularly over a million players on steam so the hype isn't over

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's still regularly over a million players on steam so the hype isn't over

It's relative. For a game that used to be at 3-4 million concurrent and was growing at a rapid pace it's stagnated and now losing players (again excluding Chinese mobile). They're struggling to attract new players compared to the other battle royale games.

Of course a new map will temporarily bring back some of the old players to push it back over a million, but will it stay there for any significant time?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
They're struggling to attract new players compared to the other battle royale games.

Which games are that?
We can only check twitch statistics because the other big games don't have an official player count.

If we take the Cod launch in October, as our starting point:
CoD BO4: down to a fourth of average players, this also cunts normal multiplayer
Fortnite: stagnates
PUBG: up 25%

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New map got me back into this and loving it all over again, last time I really played was just after Miramar so essentially a year ago. For me it just has that tension and suspense that Fortnite could never give me.

Wish you could queue for both FPP and TPP, and select any number of maps and wish you could set the default weapon fire mode for weapons, frustrating when you forget to switch from Single.