• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's so common for old / heritage buildings around here to 'mysteriously' burn down before being replaced by flats

Glad this story ended well

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's actually pretty common for developers to pull this kind of thing. They knock down what's there, build something new and retrospectively apply for planning permission. More often than not the worst they'll get is a fine that's actually cheaper for them than doing things properly.

Good that they didn't get away with this shit.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's so common for old / heritage buildings around here to 'mysteriously' burn down before being replaced by flats

Glad this story ended well
All around the world it would seem.

In London, Ontario in Canada, it's REAL common to see heritage buildings either left to rot after a developer buys it, or they catch fire before the purchase

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this does set a precedent because there are numerous examples of developers just going ahead and knocking down a building before anyone can raise objections, knowing that at worst they'll get a small fine that'll be dwarfed by the profits from selling it as flats.

There was a famous house near where I live that used to raise money for charity by letting people visit their gardens overlooking the ocean. The developer knew it'd be a shitstorm if they made a formal application to demolish it so they just drove a bulldozer through it at 7am one day. It's luxury apartments now.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Should always be an exact rebuild plus hefty fine and potential license loss.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Their are certain developers who are known to be scum. There is one around here; purchased a listed building. Couldn't do much with it (Lovely building, down a side street but without conversion could not be used for much). Burnt down one night.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
THis is great. We've had a few issues in my city in America, and our planning board does this bullshit where they shrug and say "Well, we can't reverse things now... what's done is done" and then the land stays empty for 20 years, or they let them do what they want with it.

It's infuriating - this is so great to see.

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually pretty common for developers to pull this kind of thing. They knock down what's there, build something new and retrospectively apply for planning permission. More often than not the worst they'll get is a fine that's actually cheaper for them than doing things properly.

Good that they didn't get away with this shit.

Yeah, the article mentions that tactic. It's such calculated scumbaggary and I hope this ruling sets a precedent for similar behaviour in the future.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Sounds to me like the associated fines need to be skyrocketed or be something like 25% of company holdings/profit.