• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Psychonauts' story:

- It is unintrusive: for me gameplay is king, and this game made me enjoy exquisite one and a compelling story without overshadowing the former.

- It is completely intertwined with the gameplay: the dialogues, the situations... all of it has an impact on gameplay. It is just fucking insane.

- It has frantic pace: this game takes you places. Oh boy. The central premise of the game allows it: the variety of locations you visit are justified by the plot in a sublime way. The pace makes you feel engaged, wanting to know what is going to happen next and wanting to play it.

- It is full of memorable characters: everyone of them is bursting with personality, and you can tell by their appearance, attitude, lines of dialogue... simply outstanding. There is not a single character who lacks charm or entity.

- It is told by the environment: environmental story-telling: the game. Once again, the central premise of the game allows this, but taking a look at the stages you can tell the motivations, traumas, emotions of the individual involved. The idea of the vaults is also brilliant. I love the little stories they told with simple images.

- It has surprises: Oliander... Ford Cruller...

- It is deep: what it may seem a juvenile game on the surface is a game who tells story of problematic familiar relationships, not overcame traumas and so on. It does so in the format of a tale, being subtle, smart and blatant when it has to be.

- It has a satisfactory ending: the final arc of redemption between Raz and his father, as well as Oliander and his, the union of "good and evil" is just brilliant. Also call me stupid, but the naming of Raz as Psychonaut, and his kiss with Lili gave me the chills.

Psychonauts has to be one of the most underrated games ever conceived...

capsule_616x353.jpg

... and Psychonauts 2 is one of my most anticipated games of next year.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with all of these points. I played it on the original Xbox around launch (got a signed personalized copy from the Double Fine store which I cherish to this day), but revisiting it on PC with a nice monitor and smooth performance made the game just pop on another level. Much like Nintendo's stuff, the art direction and attention to detail help to make it feel ageless after all these years. It's easily one of the best 3d platformers ever made, and the fact that the sequel is getting all the time it deserves makes me think we're in for something really special.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I tried it a couple of times but I found the characters a bit off-putting, it not controller that well and not really feeling the art style.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the narrative is excellent. I don't expect psychonauts 2 to match what i enjoyed about 1, but im really excited for it

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is certainly one of the all time greats. I couldn't be more excited for the follow up.

Edit: Looking back, I'd say this game was a formative media experience when I was growing up.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've always been interested in this and was always curious about it whenever it would randomly pop up on X-Play or one of the G4 shows. It looked like a fun exploration story game.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember enjoying it upon release, as a cleverly written, funny, and decent platformer.

Then I found Milla's secret room...and those moments kept coming. It quickly became one of the closest to my heart games of all time.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of my favorites. I like how in addition to the environmental storytelling that you described, you have the option to unlock hidden memories that add a much deeper, and often darker, layer to people's stories.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Phenomenal game, and still so underrated and overlooked. This is coming from someone who only played it for the first time about two years ago. The creativity is insane, and it really goes places. Psychonauts 2 has been one of my most anticipated games ever since I finished the original.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Played a few month ago for the first time, and my god what a masterpiece. Psychonauts 2 easily my most expected game.

I will leave this video about the game, by GMK:

Oct 28, 2017
Yo why is it $10 from Xbox and $4 on Playstation store.
It's an artifact of different releases. The Xbox version is the original Xbox listing that's been available for a long while. While the PS4 version is one of those "PS2 on PS4" upscales.

For what it's worth, the Xbox version looks much sharper with the Xbox's nice backwards compatibility. The PS2/4 games all look a bit soft and muddled.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Always liked that the rest of the camp kids had all kinds of backstory and little tidbits that you could discover if you explored a lot early on, or you could simply ignore them and focus on the plot.

Also, I might be alone in this, but: I liked Meat Circus. It was brutally hard, but I enjoyed it as a gauntlet featuring most of the techniques you'd learned throughout the game.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Beat it. I remember liking it, but not that much? I remember few moments from it. I liked the Milk Man segment.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Do not play this on the PS2. The image quality is terrible.

Play it on the PC. It will run on anything.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is something else ok

Milkman Conspiracy is one of the concepts I've ever played.

Meat Circus on the other hand is awful.

Can't freaking wait to the sequel.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Psychonauts is still to this day, a brilliant game. I agree that especially in the platforming genre, there's nothing like it. I'd also say it completely outclasses pretty much every 3D platformer I've played, and most games in general from a narrative perspective.

The characters and story really are the star of the show, along with the quirky and brilliant locations. The game is also epic in size.

I think the game really starts coming into its own when it begins crossing over from pure platformer and becomes more of a platformer/adventure game hybrid about halfway through.

I can't wait for Psychonauts 2 as well. I hope tons of people play it

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yep, I forgot to mention that Boyd Cooper is one of the best characters I have found in a videogame. I am not even joking.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
PS4 port is assbad. I bought it, but was super disappointed.

I wish it'd get a proper go-over for the new consoles. I don't need new models or textures or anything, just maybe better lighting if it's easy to implement, and a higher framerate/resolution.

Literally exploring the psyches of the characters is such a great idea. I'm surprised more games haven't yoinked it.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Played it about 5 years ago and absolutely adored it. Just incredibly imaginative and charming.

Really excited for the sequel.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily my favorite platformer of the sixth gen. I like it even more than Sunshine, JSRF, etc. Not only the story is amazing as you said but the overall presentation (artstyle, voice acting, etc.) is reallly great.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its got some of my favorite levels ever made. The Milkman Conspiracy was incredible but also the giant boardgame was a lot of fun and the bull fighter level had such an incredible look.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
I AM THE MILKMAN. MY MILK IS DELICIOUS.

I want to replay this soooo bad right now, but need to wait until the next game is closer cause i want to remember every detail and reference as fresh as possible. Gonna be so difficult!

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I always loved the idea of the one the collectibles being literal interpretation of emotional baggage.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
the main concept is really great, allows for matching fun gameplay with exploring deep psychological topics.
can't wait to see what they're cooking for next one.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Loved all the game except for the inconsistent difficulty curve in the second half. Later levels ranged from piss easy to Meat Circus.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I remember enjoying everything about it back in the day when I played it... except for the music. To me, it was so bad that I actually quit it halfway through and never went back. I've never done that for any other game in my life.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited for the sequel and to see how the concept translates with more modern mechanics and game design principles in place.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't this on Game Pass? I really would like to play it, but feel like the second I buy it,it'll be on there. I bought the PS4 version and it runs so poorly, I can't play it.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm really hopeful the OG gets a good quality remaster before the sequel.

It needs a "new" sku to advertise and push for people who never played it almost 20 years ago. It'll help put more eyes on 2.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very excited for the sequel and to see how the concept translates with more modern mechanics and game design principles in place.

I'll say the best part about Psychonauts was how it basically felt like an adventure game with platforming.

I hope some part of the old classic point and clicks finds its way into every generation.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Such a freaking brilliant game - just yeah make sure to play it on PC.
I remember feeling soured by the ending battle which was made much too difficult by the buggy controls and movement, with what they were trying to accomplish. But everything else I have nothing but fondest memories of.

I'll say the best part about Psychonauts was how it basically felt like an adventure game with platforming.

I hope some part of the old classic point and clicks finds its way into every generation.
Very true, and I hope so too. Have you played Ben and Dan's Lair of the Clockwork God? If not, you are in for a treat. Also, my favorite part of the UC4 had to be the crazy throwback to the Monkey Island / Guybrush Threepwood.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I remember enjoying everything about it back in the day when I played it... except for the music. To me, it was so bad that I actually quit it halfway through and never went back. I've never done that for any other game in my life.

Tbh I only really remember the main theme, but what a main theme

When the circus theme kicks in at :30, fuckin' so good

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
It's genuinely an all time great, criminally underappreciated and overlooked. I'm completely comfortable in putting it up there with the best 3D platform / adventures of all time, and would not argue with anyone who claims it has some of the best characters and levels in the whole genre. I absolutely adore the game, can not wait for 2.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't this on Game Pass? I really would like to play it, but feel like the second I buy it,it'll be on there. I bought the PS4 version and it runs so poorly, I can't play it.

i think it's because MS is currently in the middle of transferring the trademark... just published for opposition just yesterday

(they were delayed a bit because they were initially refused)

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't remember much of the game at all or anything of its story really. But I do remember loving the game. Which is why I'm excited for the sequel.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall the PS2 classic version is pretty rough in comparison to PC & Xbox. Hopefully someone here will have more info regarding that.
Yeah would avoid the PS2 version, definitely the worst one. The PC runs at high resolutions on toasters, that's the way to go. The OG Xbox game was good and was what it was originally designed for IIRC so I'm sure the Xbox BC version is fine though not sure if it's upgraded in any way.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played this on Xbox when it first came out and it blew me away. Played again on PC a few years ago and was afraid it wouldn't hold up... and I think I liked it even more than the first time.

For anybody interested, the game ran amazingly well on my 10 year old laptop.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously love this game, but it's a shame that if you aren't a PC player, you are basically screwed on playing it in this day and age.

There is the BC version on Xbox One/Xbox Series, but it's 4:3, and IIRC, 30FPS. Then there's the PS2 classic on PS4/5, which is widescreen, but also runs horribly I am not overly effected by frame rate, but this is terrible, even on the PS5 (I still got the platinum here, but damn if it wasn't horrid).

And that's it. There is no remaster, no better way to play it on consoles. Really disappointing. I was really keeping my fingers crossed that we'd get a remaster before the sequel, but it was not to be.