• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I'd heard there was a version that toned down the Meat Circus to a degree. Which one would that be?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I got up to Velvetopia years ago and never went further (not sure why) been playing the last week or so and finished it yesterday. Definitely some frustrating moments but overall holds up quite well. Shame about the missable achievements otherwise I probably would've gone for 100%.

Jan 2, 2018
I have the game in my Xbox PC app library and it says I own it (I don't have an active GP sub) but I never bought it,I did however bought the OG Xbox version on my XSX,so maybe it is Play Anywhere?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'd heard there was a version that toned down the Meat Circus to a degree. Which one would that be?
I know for a fact the steam version is. Cuz I was like that wasn't that bad, and heard after that it's because of patches.

W10 store may be toned down too but idk.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I know for a fact the steam version is. Cuz I was like that wasn't that bad, and heard after that it's because of patches.

W10 store may be toned down too but idk.
Going on the XBO backwards compat thing (which I'll be playing)... I'm guessing it'll be the original, upres'd but otherwiseuntouched. Oh well, not like I haven't dealt with a frustrating level in my time. I haven't even started it up yet.

Thanks for the info!

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Welp. Meat Circus is horrible due to garbage controls. I know exactly what to do, but things don't translate.

Literally pressing the jump button on the nets, and nothing happens.

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's been years since I played this game since it launched on the Original Xbox, so I decided to pick up the Steam release (along with the widescreen fan patch) to replay it. It does have it's share of issues with it's dated platforming gameplay mechanics, and not all the jokes land, but the game still holds up surprisingly well and was worth a revisit.

I do like that the collectibles are varied and are related to the themes of the game, including the Scavenger Hunt goodies. The game overall feels like a Point N' Click Adventure game in the skin of a collect-a-thon 3D platformer and it takes potshots at the conventions of the genre.
For example, Raz his family are incapable of going near water to ridiculous extremes, due to a curse to Raz's entire bloodline, all thanks to a spiteful psychic family.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Welp. Meat Circus is horrible due to garbage controls. I know exactly what to do, but things don't translate.

Literally pressing the jump button on the nets, and nothing happens.

This happened to me as well (if you are talking about the spiral nets with flames). I was literally going to give up and just watch the end on YouTube but found a way to just on the top of them and use levitate to bounce most of the way up.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
This happened to me as well (if you are talking about the spiral nets with flames). I was literally going to give up and just watch the end on YouTube but found a way to just on the top of them and use levitate to bounce most of the way up.

That was a struggle for some reason. Sometimes it would jump and levitate, sometimes not. Eventually I got through.

I liked the game. Not the controls.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this and it immediately grabs you with that amazing dialogue and writing. Gameplay holds up decently well too outside of camera wonkiness - only being able to aim/shoot while facing forward threw me off during the Advanced Training boss fight.

Makes me all the more excited for the sequel! Two month's wait is a bit less painful than 16 years lol

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I remember playing this on PS2 and loving it, but giving up on the Meat Circus. I'm now re-playing on Series X and loving it so far. The game looks BEAUTIFUL for it's age, aside from the low res cutscenes that is...

Definitely some rough edges with outdated game design, but that's something I expected based on how old it is. I found the Milkman last night and started the next level shortly after before forcing myself to go to bed. I'm excited to put my past behind me and beat the meat circus this time around.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped this up on Game Pass last night in preparation for the sequel, my first time playing it since 2006, and yeah I still love it but also yeah the meat circus is still one of the worst endings of any game I enjoy 😆. I never forgot the clumsy, time sensitive platforming, but i did manage to forget the whiny ass, grating voice acting and mind numbing soundscape between the music and the ghostly voices. It's like an ending designed purely to annoy the hell out of you. Nails on a chalkboard game design.

But now I'm itching to see what the team came up with for the sequel.

LeoDroid

Aug 13, 2019
Brazil
Just started the game! Is there any real difference between the Steam and Gamepass version or should I just stick with Steam?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game over the weekend, it was an absolute blast throughout and now I can't wait for the sequel. Obviously some parts of the game have aged less well than others, but the creativity, writing, and dialogue kept me wanting to see what was around the corner.

Even survived the much-maligned Meat Circus without too much hassle. (helps I unintentionally found a way to cheese the final platforming section lol)

Really great game and so glad I got a chance fo play it before the new one.

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the game today. So the Meat Circus. I just had to come in and post about it. The Meat Circus oh boy. The Meat Circus........

Is fine? What are you people chatting about? There's nothinv wrong with the final level at all. It doesn't have any big difficulty spike. It doesn't ask anything huge from the player. The boss fights are a piece of piss. Even the final platforming section is super forgiving. Christ you don't even lose a life, or even health, for falling in the water. Very forgiving checkpoints for that final section too.

Like seriously what the hell I thought this was supposed to be an infamous difficulty spike? It's not even the hardest part of the game.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I about halfway through my first playthrough in over a decade - just completed The Milkman Conspiracy. The game is certainly dated in various ways but wow does it hold up well!

Can't wait to see what Double Fine does with a much more mature development team, better tools, a much bigger budget, and so much more time. Should be something special.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game today. So the Meat Circus. I just had to come in and post about it. The Meat Circus oh boy. The Meat Circus........

Is fine? What are you people chatting about? There's nothinv wrong with the final level at all. It doesn't have any big difficulty spike. It doesn't ask anything huge from the player. The boss fights are a piece of piss. Even the final platforming section is super forgiving. Christ you don't even lose a life, or even health, for falling in the water. Very forgiving checkpoints for that final section too.

Like seriously what the hell I thought this was supposed to be an infamous difficulty spike? It's not even the hardest part of the game.

from what i heard they updated it in most of the releases since the OG xbox/ps release to tone it down, mainly by adding new checkpoints and making it so you don't lose your life when you hit the water

but to be honest I played OG meat circus and it was fine. you died a lot sure but i was a dumbass kid at the time, i died a lot regardless, so I never found it that bad

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
OG meat circus was never that bad at all. Feels like the sort of thing where players were just ready for the game to be over and didn't want to execute the final challenges