• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Excited to play for a 3rd time lol. Such a fantastic game, and I'm super hyped for the sequel.

On my replay, I'd completely mixed up the order of the game though, even if the order I thought it was clearly didn't make sense. I felt like Lungfishopolis was waaaaay later in the game, but when I replayed it, I remembered that it obviously wasn't, because that level was how you get to the Asylum hub area.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
are there side quests or activities you have to do or you can focus on the main stuff without worry?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Played last year the PS2 Classic version and... definetly worth a play. It didnt aged super well in some parts, but it has a lot of charm and in the end is really fun to play. I found only the beginning a little slow.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish this game had FPS boost on Series X. I'm finding the 30 fps is really detracting from my enjoyment.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Played last year the PS2 Classic version and... definetly worth a play. It didnt aged super well in some parts, but it has a lot of charm and in the end is really fun to play. I found only the beginning a little slow.
Yeah, I'd say the first half is kinda consistently meh, outside of one level. The camp stuff is way more entertaining than the levels early on.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Started a bit of the obstacle course. The humor is great.

I'm having a similar problem that I experienced in Super Lucky that my depth is no good. I'm missing jumps quite often or the controls feel sloppy.

Mario 64 is still king.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing this earlier this week because I bought it way back for 360.

had never really played it before but it mostly holds up. Some of the platforming is pretty janky but it is still super original and funny.

I heard about how bad the meat circus was for years so I was fully prepared to have a bad time. It honestly wasn't that bad if you use the invisibility power and have plenty of health.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My pc randomly rebooted while playing (not related to the game) and I was in the middle of the Napoleon level. Killed my motivation to play as I prob lost not a significant amount of time but enough where I was like... Well damn. Maybe it saved at some point. I'm getting close to the end though I think and loving it all.

Oct 31, 2017
It's presumably a simple port of the Steam version, which does not have achievements. Likewise on Xbox, I believe it is just the original Xbox game in BC, without achievements added.
?
The Steam version absolutely DOES have achievements.
Incidentally it's also one of the incredibly rare games where I actually bothered unlocking them all.

Edit - Well, already pointed.

Anyway, one of my alltime favorites in the PC version.
I love basically everything about this game: the intuitive controls, the hilarious writing, the charming and immediately lovable characters, the outstanding music and the creative level design.

Except the part where you need to farm arrowheads digging around the camp. Fuck that bullshit.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this for the first time and I am too giddy over this writing. Dialogue hasn't missed yet. I love how witty it feels. The aesthetic is also great.

Oct 29, 2017
If this is in fact the Steam version ported, then it's also a soft remaster. A few years back they touched up textures,
meat circus
, achievements, and I wanna say some stuff with Audio.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Cool little thing everyone should try: Clairvoyance works on everyone, everywhere, even outside of people's minds. Try it out when you go back to camp between levels. Try it on animals. Try it on collectibles. Try it on, well, everyone. The amount of detail packed into that little ability is just bonkers.

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
Oh my god. I'm like, six hours in, and I was expecting to love it, I was expecting it to blow me away, but my god. It surpassed my expectations by a mile. What a fun, funny, awesome game.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Proud to say I bought the game day one when it originally launched. The commercials on G4TV and X-Play gushing about it made it a no-brainer. Absolutely adored it and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Never had much of a problem with the final level. Took me longer to get through the Milkman area.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
If the trailer here is the PC version then damn I wished they remastered the game to this extent for consoles since it's 60fps, 4K, & widescreen.

Maybe they can do a remake someday so that both Psychonauts games are available in their best formats.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
If the trailer here is the PC version then damn I wished they remastered the game to this extent for consoles since it's 60fps, 4K, & widescreen.

Maybe they can do a remake someday so that both Psychonauts games are available in their best formats.

Yeah, I was disappointed after seeing this trailer and pulling it down from game pass only to find it is the original 30 FPS, low-resolution 4:3 version on Series X. I'm good.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

It is just the PC version. I agree, I wish the Xbox version was the same one as that with widescreen support and everything, but I don't know how they would do it for people who already own the game on the Original Xbox. They've done something similar with Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but those were for their respective Original Xbox and Xbox 360 versions.

This new remaster is something like Voodoo Vince. The original disc is out there for the Original Xbox but nothing happens when you put it in an Xbox One or Xbox Series X; you have to actually buy the remastered game on Xbox One/Windows 10 PC.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was disappointed after seeing this trailer and pulling it down from game pass only to find it is the original 30 FPS, low-resolution 4:3 version on Series X. I'm good.
Well the resolution is pretty good it's just sucks that it didn't have widescreen support and yeah the 30fps was disappointing although it runs pretty decently.

It is just the PC version. I agree, I wish the Xbox version was the same one as that with widescreen support and everything, but I don't know how they would do it for people who already own the game on the Original Xbox. They've done something similar with Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but those were for their respective Original Xbox and Xbox 360 versions.

This new remaster is something like Voodoo Vince. The original disc is out there for the Original Xbox but nothing happens when you put it in an Xbox One or Xbox Series X; you have to actually buy the remastered game on Xbox One/Windows 10 PC.
Yeah that's a tough one, they do have assets from the VR game & now Psychonauts 2 so maybe they can do a full on remake using those at some point. Given Grim Fandango and some of their older catalog was remastered maybe they'll remake/remaster Psychonauts 1 at some point.

KozukiOden

Feb 5, 2019
Yesterday I started my first playtrough to prepare myself for the second one. I'm really liking the game with all his craziness and weird stuff the only thing that bothers me is the use of the g-slur (in german it's the z-slur) für romani people.
Is there some statement or interview from doublefine where there talk about this topic and how they handle it in psychonauts 2?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Nice to see that the Win10GP version is compatible with the Widescreen Fan patch

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Hope that everyone playing this for the first time enjoys this masterpiece! It can be clunky at times compared to other 3D platformers, but it's one of the few games where I can confidently say that the presentation and writing truly outweighs the gameplay. Each level is so unique that you really don't have time to get bored - it immediately zips away to a new bonkers idea. Also, I'm not entirely sure but I know that the PC version at least had Meat Circus patched to be significantly easier?

Cant wait for the sequel in any event!!

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Dealing with the milkman level is fun and infuriating because I've either got stuck doing the wrong thing, or did the right thing but it didn't work. At times it feels random and clunky.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Dealing with the milkman level is fun and infuriating because I've either got stuck doing the wrong thing, or did the right thing but it didn't work. At times it feels random and clunky.
Did you get to a point where you had no idea where the next item was? I ran into a bit of a blockade because I thought I exhausted all the places to visit and still didn't have the plunger or telephone that seemed be remaining, but then I visited the main character and he gave me a hint.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
loved this game back when it came out. i backed 2 and am pretty excited for it. i am not sure i have the time to replay it before the sequel is released, but i might sneak in some of doublefine's playthrough on twitch.

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
Double Fine is my favorite developer and Tim Schafer my favorite game creator, but I never had played Psychonauts – I didn't have an Xbox and it just fell by the wayside. With the recent addition to Game Pass, I finally had a chance. I loved it from beginning to end. It's amazing. So fun. So charming. So funny. The gameplay is exciting, good and interesting at every turn. Even the Meat Circus, which I read was really difficult, I found really fun – your PSI Powers really make a difference.

Go play it! It made me even more excited for Psychonauts 2!

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
With Psychonauts 2 being so close to coming out I decided to replay this game for the first time in... 7 years?

I beat the Steam version today with all achievements unlocked. The graphics can look a tad dated (especially during the pre-rendered cutscenes, where the picture goes to 4:3 and becomes SD) and the platforming controls can be a little clunky (like, for example, why can I only double-jump during the first second or so of being airborne?), but other than that it was about as charming and fun to play as I remember.

Guess I should look into Rhombus of Ruin before the sequel gets released since I do have a PSVR. It is on sale for 50% off on the PSN store, so I just grabbed that.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying it too, just got to the theatre, I'm gonna have to watch Rhomus of Ruin on youtube, hopefully I can still get something out of it

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just restarted it again tonight. I remember the fish level being one of the funniest gaming moments ever.