• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you keep attempt to belittle gaming by calling them stupid electronic toys. You're on a forum literally dedicated to talking and analyzing these electronic toys.

You cropped out a lot there, bud. Your pride in playing games isn't the topic of conversation.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure why you keep attempt to belittle gaming by calling them stupid electronic toys. You're on a forum literally dedicated to talking and analyzing these electronic toys.

Gaming is little compared to other things. Some things matter far, far more than an unsullied gaming experience or whatever.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People, if you crank the difficulty down to one star (scale of 1-8) on old home ports of Capcom games like Street Fighter Alpha series and Darkstalkers series, you can beat the game by button mashing.

You can even set the damager per player in two-player separately (scale of 1-4 damage) to unbalance/rebalance radically a competition between humans.

This is like 25 years ago.

So yeah accessibility in fighting games started a long-assed time ago.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers in the 90s:

Oh look IDDQD exists, this is cool.

Gamers in 2021:

HAVING A INVINCIBILITY MODE SULLIES MY EXPERIENCE AND ACHIEVEMENT.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm absolutely unable to enjoy fighting games because of how bad I am at them. Or pretty much any competitive multiplayer game. Does this mean these games are being created at the expensive of my enjoyment? Should their mechanics be simplified and streamlined to a major extent so people like me can play them? What about something like a Destiny raid? A major part of the satisfaction of doing one is due to difficulty of coordination, communication, and skill, putting them out of reach of many players despite them being the "best" content of the game for years. Boiling the entire argument down into "Is it accessible to absolutely everyone? Good if yes, bad if no" is really doing a disservice to the complexity of how we enjoy this entertainment medium, and how different games exist to do different things.
There is a fundamental difference between, "I'm bad at a game because I'm not practicing," and, "I can't play the game because my body physically won't allow me to."

Recognize it, please. Someone can be bad at fighting games but be capable of improving using the standard set of tools. Someone with a physical disability that prevents them from playing fighting games may not be capable of improving without the aid of accessibility options/tools.

Which is really where the rub lies; Accessibility options aren't about making the game inherently easier (necessarily). The best accessibility options are adding tools to the game that will allow someone with a disability to interface with a game that they find meaningful.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do game difficulty topics always bring out the really...odd people. Literally an option that doesn't effect anyone but those we choose to use it, more options like this is great.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Double Fine and many players who would like to experience the game. I still don't begrudge those who don't offer it. I guess this response wasn't necessary, but 10 pages of people complaining about certain titles not having an easy mode wasn't necessary either.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Weiss's point with "belittling" games was obvious, but it's great that the galaxy brain response is HEY NOW GAMES ARE GREAT YOU LIKE GAMES YOU POST HERE LOTS

Yes, they do. I do too. We understand that some things matter more than toys. People need to get some fucking perspective.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Weiss's point with "belittling" games was obvious, but it's great that the galaxy brain response is HEY NOW GAMES ARE GREAT YOU LIKE GAMES YOU POST HERE

People need to get some fucking perspective.

No perspective is missing. That tired argument comes up in literally every thread like this. "HAHAHA, you feel a sense of achievement from an electronic toy!" Give me a fucking break.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Says man with 53k posts on a message board devoted to video games.

It's possible to really enjoy video games without viewing what you're doing as "achieving" something.

We need to move away from the mindset that games are solely things to be "achieved" and are instead more things to be experienced.

Difficulty can definitely affect how the game is experienced, but difficulty is personal and subjective.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah...keep that stuff there for people who like trophies. I meant thats the whole point of trophies.

Trophies are part of this conversation but they're kind of a weird part.

They're inherently useless, but putting a trophy in a game is an acknowledgement that it's something the developers have decided you are capable of completing, and this sometimes manifests as turning what used to be specialized experiences for the ultra hardcores (do a speedrun! Play the whole game with your starting gear! No hits!) into textually acknowledged challenges for the entire playerbase.

No perspective is missing. That tired argument comes up in literally every thread like this. "HAHAHA, you feel a sense of achievement from an electronic toy!" Give me a fucking break.

I've got a shelf of Transformers staring at me as I type this. I like toys too, I'm just not the kind of person who's gonna try and decide who's allowed to play with toys and what is the proper way to play with them.

I am saying that pride in your achievement is worth less than dogshit in this conversation, because you're denying players with disabilities the chance to experience those same feelings.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
I'm not a fan of "Cheat codes" or anything in my games doesn't matter if I don't have to use it I just don't like them in the game.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
That's great! I'm currently playing Control this way and I'm finally enjoying myself. It's a good option to have for a myriad of reasons.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
It's possible to really enjoy video games without viewing what you're doing as "achieving" something.

We need to move away from the mindset that games are solely things to be "achieved" and are instead more things to be experienced.

The issue is with people who think that people who do feel a sense of satisfaction from achieving something in a game are somehow wrong and deserving of mockery.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
No sane person hates this. If you don't want to use the invincibility toggle, then... don't use the invincibility toggle.

I dont hate invincibility toggles but my first thought when a game makes an invincibility toggle easily accessible is whether they actually balanced the game or not.

In the case of Control it kinda undermined the whole point of loot (or whatever they called the items that modified your guns) and skill points in that game. There really should've been two modes...once with invincibility and one without.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think the people complaining about this would be happy that it's an optional toggle rather than the game being built from the ground up to be significantly easier than the first.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Achievement effects?
Becoming older, challenging myself and hanging head against wall as a scene repeats for the 100th time has started to fade.

I still appreciate a well balanced challenge. It's just that I have 2 hours a night, not 2 days to binge at a time.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but if that pride is so strong that you complain about games adding in difficulty and accessibility options, you're not just "proud of doing hard things," you're being a pedantic gatekeeper.
ding ding ding
The issue is with people who think that people who do feel a sense of satisfaction from achieving something in a game are somehow wrong and deserving of mockery.
Nobody's saying you can't feel satisfaction for achieving something in a game, just that some people wanting that satisfaction isn't a good reason to make the game inaccessible.

Nobody is, like, coming for the Gamers™ in this thread, so maybe drop the victim routine.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

The issue in this specific thread is that the people who do feel a sense of satisfaction from achieving something are insisting that theirs is the only valid path and that options shouldn't exist for others because it somehow sullies their own solitary gaming experience.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Says man with 53k posts on a message board devoted to video games.
ROFL
Yeah it's silly to belittle anyone for the feeling they get like for example, beating Ornstein and Smough by yourself or stuff like that. Yes, everyone recognizes it's not on the same level as helping the homeless or more rewarding things but it's just a fun little moment

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is with people who unironically see themselves as "superior gamers" because of it and gatekeep the ability to play games or enjoy them based on their needs and to the detriment of others.

You want your hard shit? Be my guest. Step off of others who do things differently and have different requirements.

I'll say this again in another thread.

Celeste is the hardest platformer I've played in years. Has an amazing accessibility suite.

The existence of that in no way impinges on that status.

Mar 3, 2018
As someone who has played some games with harder challenges in them such as Hollow Knight, Cuphead, and Celeste, I welcome these kind of changes. I fully beat Celeste without using any of the accessibility options but have been replaying certain levels and exploring, learning new tricks etc with the actability options, and its a great feature.

Really don't get when people are against such a thing and try to die on this hill, and spout things such as "developers vision is hampered."...like what? it's the devs that literally put that option in the game. You play your game and let others enjoy the game in their own way. Really bizarre gatekeeping.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think the people complaining about this would be happy that it's an optional toggle rather than the game being built from the ground up to be significantly easier than the first.

Like goddamn, you'd think they'd realize that these options mean games can be even more bone crushingly difficult, because then other players who normally could not make those quick reactions have options to help them through that the playerbase into that bone crushing challenge doesn't need.

It's okay to feel pride in beating a tough challenge in a video game. Shit yeah I feel good every time I beat Nightmare King Grimm and get into that graceful dance of a boss fight.

I do not care about your pride in this specific circumstance, a circumstance wherein you would still get to feel your pride anyway because these options wouldn't exist for you, they'd exist for the kind of person who can't play at all.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I dont hate invincibility toggles but my first thought when a game makes an invincibility toggle easily accessible is whether they actually balanced the game or not.

In the case of Control it kinda undermined the whole point of loot (or whatever they called the items that modified your guns) and skill points in that game. There really should've been two modes...once with invincibility and one without.
IDDQD.

Cheat modes have been available in games since before half of you shmucks were born.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I am just somebody, who cares a lot about gameplay. If i had a disability and would need to play an compromised version of a game, because the developers didn't took the time to think about in-game solution first and accessibility options second, it would just break me a little. I wouldn't be able to experience the vision of the developers anymore. Just some light edition.
That's my angle and i may be off, but that is just the fear i have.
tbh I think it's more constructive to hear input from actual persons with disabilities instead of hypothetical scenarios like this. I'm much more interested in hearing from them, considering the topic at hand. Saying "If I had a disability, I would feel this way" isn't nearly the same thing. Do you get what I'm saying?

I'm absolutely unable to enjoy fighting games because of how bad I am at them. Or pretty much any competitive multiplayer game. Does this mean these games are being created at the expensive of my enjoyment? Should their mechanics be simplified and streamlined to a major extent so people like me can play them? What about something like a Destiny raid? A major part of the satisfaction of doing one is due to difficulty of coordination, communication, and skill, putting them out of reach of many players despite them being the "best" content of the game for years. Boiling the entire argument down into "Is it accessible to absolutely everyone? Good if yes, bad if no" is really doing a disservice to the complexity of how we enjoy this entertainment medium, and how different games exist to do different things.
Accessibility options literally don't stop you from playing how you want. Even in multiplayer games. At the end of the day you're still just gatekeeping tbh.

Now, if you can point to some real-world widespread examples of accessibility options ruining a game for others, then we can proceed with the mass hysteria. But as of right now, I think you're just worrying about something hypothetical.

also shoutouts to Gay Bowser and Weiss for doin god's work up in this thread, among others. Good shit

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought Weiss's point with "belittling" games was obvious, but it's great that the galaxy brain response is HEY NOW GAMES ARE GREAT YOU LIKE GAMES YOU POST HERE LOTS

Yes, they do. I do too. We understand that some things matter more than toys. People need to get some fucking perspective.
I've got a shelf of Transformers staring at me as I type this. I like toys too, I'm just not the kind of person who's gonna try and decide who's allowed to play with toys and what is the proper way to play with them.

I am saying that pride in your achievement is worth less than dogshit in this conversation, because you're denying players with disabilities the chance to experience those same feelings.
Just want to appreciate these refreshingly rational takes.

Nov 15, 2020
This is what Game Genie did for me as a kid. I just didn't have the coordination needed to get through stuff like Mega Man 2 or Battletoads, but having infinite lives/health never ruined the game for me. I kind of miss cheat codes or codes that let you mess with the game in fun ways. More of that in gaming, please.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Double Fine and many players who would like to experience the game. I still don't begrudge those who don't offer it. I guess this response wasn't necessary, but 10 pages of people complaining about certain titles not having an easy mode wasn't necessary either.

Really this. I'm glad for fans of games when they get stuff like this to accommodate them. However the ENDLESS relitigation over souls games being unflinching in their design though is just exhausting. No doubt this will be drudged up again in January when Elden Ring drops.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If they're gatekeeping others from that satisfaction, then they deserve mockery. You can be happy for your achievement, but it shouldn't affect how others are allowed to play the game. You beating a hard game isn't any less of an achievement, when others need the game to be adjustable so they can achieve it too.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of "Cheat codes" or anything in my games doesn't matter if I don't have to use it I just don't like them in the game.

m6ssp6X.jpg

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
This adds so much and takes nothing away.
Denying someone an experience does not add to yours. Someone's success, even if it's obtained differently than yours, is not your failure. You can still be proud of what you have done.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really this. I'm glad for fans of games when they get stuff like this to accommodate them. However the ENDLESS relitigation over souls games being unflinching in their design though is just exhausting. No doubt this will be drudged up again in January when Elden Ring drops.

As the Soulsborne series consists of the Only Hard Games Ever, it's an important linchpin of discussion.

Souls is about fair and meaty challenge, except that fair and meaty challenge isn't going to be meted out the same way for every player. Let's say, on a scale of 1 - 10, the Capra Demon is a 7 for me, a Chad Gamer. How many other people, for whatever reason, aren't able to clear Capra like I can. He's not a 7, he's a 12.

Are they getting the fair and meaty challenge? Is Souls not better off for them if they could adjust the game in such a way that a 7 boss is now a 7 for them?

SuperKlonoa'sArk3D

alt account
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
As the Soulsborne series consists of the Only Hard Games Ever, it's an important linchpin of discussion.

Souls is about fair and meaty challenge, except that fair and meaty challenge isn't going to be meted out the same way for every player. Let's say, on a scale of 1 - 10, the Capra Demon is a 7 for me, a Chad Gamer. How many other people, for whatever reason, aren't able to clear Capra like I can. He's not a 7, he's a 12.

Are they getting the fair and meaty challenge? Is Souls not better off for them if they could adjust the game in such a way that a 7 boss is now a 7 for them?
Capra Demon is not a fair and meaty challenge for anyone, he just straight up sucks.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently played P1 for the first time and loved it, really can't wait for this + great to see the options will be available.