• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
The harsher review so far is the one from "We Got this Covered" and even the "flaws" it complains about don't really sound like anything that would bother me.
Like... "the platforming is stuck in the past" because it remembers the first game? Great, I loved the first game.

I think we are good on this one.

Would that even be considered reliable being that the site survives on making bullshit news articles?
I mean, they said that the biggest problem with the game for them is that for better or worst, the game doesn't deviate that far from the first game. This isn't entirely a bad thing, but for those who hoped for a rethinking of the way the game is designed, it's kinda disappointing for them. The reviewer does think that the last game and this one didn't do anything special to stand out from other 3D platformers. Which is a fair criticism. And I do think that a 3.5/5 isn't a bad score at all. it does match what the article wrote.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ben Moore? EASY ALLIES? Well shit, now I HAVE to play it!!1!11!!
PracticalGrippingCanine-size_restricted.gif

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I backed this back in 2016 on fig. I wonder if I can get a PS4 key instead of a pc key as I really would prefer to play this on my 4k OLED

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was sarcasm, nice catch. Your intuition precedes you, dude.

I think your boy has questionable taste in games, and it's funny seeing people justify their decisions based on what he thinks, as if he's the gold standard on judgment when it comes to videogames.

But how dare I speak ill of one of Era's darlings.
...Are you trying to impress people by being an asshole?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think your boy has questionable taste in games, and it's funny seeing people justify their decisions based on what he thinks, as if he's the gold standard on judgment when it comes to videogames.

Or you know, he is a person that people on Era share tastes with? So when he likes a game that's huge for them. Way to be a jerk.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

What an oddly hostile reaction.

Did he kick your dog or something?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Being ahead of Ratchet is a shock as tons absolutely adored it. Seeing Doublefine putting out a title better than Insomniac is a fucking shock
Not to take away anything from Double Fine's achievement here, but the two games in question have a large gulf in the number of reviews tallied so far.

They're both great games, and as fans of platformers we should all be happy for it.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Being ahead of Ratchet is a shock as tons absolutely adored it. Seeing Doublefine putting out a title better than Insomniac is a fucking shock

Nice job console warrioring.

It is one point higher in one site and one point lower in another aggregation site and not to mention both these games are completely unrelated so being one point higher or lower does not make it better or worse than any other title that you have not even played.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
At this point these reviews have changed my opinion from "I strongly disliked the first game so this is an easy pass" to "damn I should probably let no more heroes 3 chill while I play this first.

Tuff week to be a gamer

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing how much I explore in these games, especially a game that looks like this? Gonna be a 21 hour playthrough without 100% then 30 with 100% lmao

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, they said that the biggest problem with the game for them is that for better or worst, the game doesn't deviate that far from the first game. This isn't entirely a bad thing, but for those who hoped for a rethinking of the way the game is designed, it's kinda disappointing for them. The reviewer does think that the last game and this one didn't do anything special to stand out from other 3D platformers. Which is a fair criticism. And I do think that a 3.5/5 isn't a bad score at all. it does match what the article wrote.
Yeah, but I disagree with them since I think the first one played (and still plays) excellently, which is precisely why I said what I said about their summary.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Now to determine to pause my persona 5 royal playthrough for this game or not. If I wait until i complete persona I fear it will be 2023, that game just keeps on going and going and goooooing......

Tampler

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
As someone who loved the first one when he played it back in 2008 (I think it was one of the first digital games I purchased on Steam?) and helped support the Fig campaign, I am genuinely delighted the second one is reviewing well. Hope it does well for Double Fine.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice job console warrioring.

It is one point higher in one site and one point lower in another aggregation site and not to mention both these games are completely unrelated so being one point higher or lower does not make it better or worse than any other title that you have not even played.
How am I console warring? I didn't mention either console. Psychonauts 2 is multiplat, but thanks for trying?

I'm saying it's massively impressive that DoubleFine can put out a game at the level that Insomniac game cause Insomniac is an incredible studio with an incredible history. DoubleFine has made some great games in the past that have all had issues that have prevented them from actually being great. The fact that they can finally put out a game at this level is great. It's celebrating how far DoubleFine has come that one of their games can compare to Insomniac.

But okay on the accusations.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Hostility, history of infractions for hostility and console wars
How am I console warring? I didn't mention either console. Psychonauts 2 is multiplat, but thanks for trying?

I'm saying it's massively impressive that DoubleFine can put out a game at the level that Insomniac game cause Insomniac is an incredible studio with an incredible history. DoubleFine has made some great games in the past that have all had issues that have prevented them from actually being great. The fact that they can finally put out a game at this level is great. It's celebrating how far DoubleFine has come that one of their games can compare to Insomniac.

But okay console warrior.

Oh please. Says the person spending most of your time on xbox threads and the only contribution here is shock at how much the game is better than an `Insomniac` game. Totally innocent comparison. News flash it takes two also put out a higher rated game than Insomniac as well. The original Psychonauts has a higher rating than a lot of insomniac games as well. It made no sense to compare the two.

Go on with your console warrioring though and how `shocked` you are..

On topic - The fact that such a high quality game is on game pass day zero is effing crazy.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oh please. Says the person spending most of your time on xbox threads and the only contribution here is shock at how much better it is than insomniac. News flash it takes two also put out a higher rated game than Insomniac as well. The original Psychonauts has a higher rating than a lot of insomniac games as well.
It made no sense to compare the two.

Go on with your console warrioring. Seems you get off on it.
chill

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Oh god these scores. Big fan of the first but I expected a bit worse, I'm ecstatic seeing these

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh please. Says the person spending most of your time on xbox threads and the only contribution here is shock at how much better it is than insomniac. News flash it takes two also put out a higher rated game than Insomniac as well. The original Psychonauts has a higher rating than a lot of insomniac games as well.
It made no sense to compare the two.

Go on with your console warrioring. Seems you get off on it.
I was literally replying to someone who brought up that it was scoring better than Ratchet.

Like man some of you people go off on the slightest thing. Take a chill pill before you start foaming at the mouth. Call me a console warrior all you want.

And I spend most of my time on Xbox threads cause big shock, I have an Xbox! I can't afford every console under the sun so of course I'm talking in thread around a console I own :shocked Pickachu:. Last gen when I had a Playstation only, I talked alot about the PlayStation :doubleshocked Pickachu:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

I try to. Its just this console warrior shit on some of these threads is tiring and I acted prematurely.

I was literally replying to someone who brought up that it was scoring better than Ratchet.

Like man some of you people go off on the slightest thing. Take a chill pill before you start foaming at the mouth. Call me a console warrior all you want.

And I spend most of my time on Xbox threads cause big shock, I have an Xbox! I can't afford every console under the sun so of course I'm talking in thread around a console I own :shocked Pickachu:. Last gen when I had a Playstation only, I talked alot about the PlayStation :doubleshocked Pickachu:

Fair enough. I am really sorry to have got all agitated and calling you that then.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Amazing scores! Surely didn't expect such high praise. I guess there's no PS5 version coming?

I have never played the original but will definitely check this out. Any opinions on whether the original is a must play before this or will some story recap suffice?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Can people imagine with Microsoft's backing on a new IP how crazy bonkers their new game is going to be?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, those are some amazing review scores, so damn excited to finally play this.

I'm not going to lie. When I backed this on fig, I was full expecting the game to end up compromised in some way. I just couldn't imagine a scenario where Double Fine found the budget to make the real, meaty Psychonauts sequel we all wanted, but ai would have been totally happy to just get more Psychonauts.

It's crazy that it sounds like this game has just as much content, and apparently lives up to the promise. If the writing, characters, and setting really live up to tye original, this is going to be a special game.

Congrats Tim and Double fine!

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
"Its a kinda of game that only comes arround to scan a few times per console generation. In a industry that sometimes feels like its just regurgitating the same cynical product repeatedly. Psychonauts 2 is a beaming ray of unbridled imagination. One that hopefully gets the love its due"

Damn
Music to my ears. I'm so exhausted with collecting resources to craft upgrades in every dime a dozen 3rd person cinematic action adventure.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
User Banned (3 days): trolling and platform warring, received a warning earlier in the day for platform warring
Scores are too high. Makes me worried about the game tbh.