• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
18.8GB patch? yeesh. I don't know why I'm even bothering to download it considering I 100%ed the game weeks ago and I know I'm just going to roll around for 5 minutes before uninstalling the game.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I didn't really think about it till now, but how are Psychonauts 1 and 2 meant to connect?

I know that Lucrecia was the one who told Raz about Whispering Rock which was filtered by her subconsciously trying to get help, but how did Loboto and Oleander's plan factor into Gristol's attempted revival of Maligula? Was it just a coincidence that he picked Loboto to kidnap Truman?
Loboto may just be an amateur brain surgeon for hire lol. I don't think whatever Oleander did was in any way related to Gristol's plot (especially since Truman was kidnapped just the day following the events of Psychonauts 1).

By the way, who is supposed to be Loboto's kid at the summer camp?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
the actual platforming is constantly interrupted by cutscenes (which are amusing enough, but still, not gameplay) or dialogue (dialogue where lines can't be skipped so that hurts pacing even more).
This is honestly my only significant complaint about the game. The cutscenes are so frequent that it gets annoying. I wish they were more consolidated or some of them allowed you to keep playing simultaneously.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loboto may just be an amateur brain surgeon for hire lol. I don't think whatever Oleander did was in any way related to Gristol's plot (especially since Truman was kidnapped just the day following the events of Psychonauts 1).

Bobby most likely. It was a common fan theory that Loboto was his dad since they're both blue and Bobby has the same heterochromatic eye colour.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm on the newest patch on Gamepass PC (1087126)
Seems a little better but I'm still getting stuttering

Shoot bulb bob in his glass jar -> stutter as the game changes to cutscene
Stutters when I break objects a couple times so far. This seems to be happening less frequently than before though
Stuttered on enemy kill

Also is this game supposed to have HDR like it says on the store page or nah. Windows Auto HDR doesn't look right at all
Just played a boss fight, let myself die and played it again. It was hitching like crazy whenever something new happened the first time and then ran perfectly fine the second. Then I'm getting stutters as I run around a new area.. so yeah. Don't think this patch fixed much for me really

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Great news! This song is from Rhombus of Ruin! Please enjoy 'Drag Me Down' or, my favorite, 'Drag Me Down, Coach Oleander Edition'.

Going through that game following Psychonauts 2 has been interesting- I was eyeballing a video of an early version of it on youtube that had a cut sequence of lines referencing a 'Forscythe' at Psychonauts HQ! Pretty neat to see how much the story changed!
Woah, this is cool haha. Nice, thanks :D

Is the Making Peace trophy bugged?
Seems like you solved it, but some people were reporting that you needed to trigger it twice, as well.

Bobby most likely. It was a common fan theory that Loboto was his dad since they're both blue and Bobby has the same heterochromatic eye colour.
Also saw quite a few people theorize that it might be D'artagnan. You can see him once or twice in the game, and he's blue too. Was supposed to be the original protagonist, before they switched to Raz. And AFAIK, he doesn't get his brain stolen. This is my favorite theory, personally. Or perhaps he's talking metaphorically and he means Sheegor. Or maybe it's the kid who can talk to fish. lol, who knows.

I continue to think that Bobbie, one of the bowling ladies, in the Motherlobe is the aunt of Bobby. She keeps making derisive remarks about her nephew, and that would make it weird if she were somehow that close to Loboto, but also like ignorant of him kinda? But of course we don't know there either (and no one else seems to share my suspicion, so maybe I'm just hella wrong haha).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, this is cool haha. Nice, thanks :D

Seems like you solved it, but some people were reporting that you needed to trigger it twice, as well.

Also saw quite a few people theorize that it might be D'artagnan. You can see him once or twice in the game, and he's blue too. Was supposed to be the original protagonist, before they switched to Raz. And AFAIK, he doesn't get his brain stolen. This is my favorite theory, personally. Or perhaps he's talking metaphorically and he means Sheegor. Or maybe it's the kid who can talk to fish. lol, who knows.

I continue to think that Bobbie, one of the bowling ladies, in the Motherlobe is the aunt of Bobby. She keeps making derisive remarks about her nephew, and that would make it weird if she were somehow that close to Loboto, but also like ignorant of him kinda? But of course we don't know there either (and no one else seems to share my suspicion, so maybe I'm just hella wrong haha).
D'Artagan would actually be really funny. I'm going with that now.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
This is honestly my only significant complaint about the game. The cutscenes are so frequent that it gets annoying. I wish they were more consolidated or some of them allowed you to keep playing simultaneously.

I personally love that about this game, but maybe that's because I'm not big on platformers and it makes the game more passively watchable for my wife who watches me play.

Also did they fix the issue with achievements popping after the game is quick resumed?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm on the newest patch on Gamepass PC (1087126)
Seems a little better but I'm still getting stuttering

Shoot bulb bob in his glass jar -> stutter as the game changes to cutscene
Stutters when I break objects a couple times so far. This seems to be happening less frequently than before though
Stuttered on enemy kill

Also is this game supposed to have HDR like it says on the store page or nah. Windows Auto HDR doesn't look right at all

According to the version number on the MS store, this patch is two patches behind the Steam version

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The Game Pass / Microsoft Store patch is now out, and the game should be at the same version on all stores / platforms (1087126). This patch should resolve the hitching issues that people were experiencing.

The version on the MS store is "10180", not "1087126". "10180" is actually the latest patch that also exists on all other storefronts?

Nov 8, 2017
The Game Pass / Microsoft Store patch is now out, and the game should be at the same version on all stores / platforms (1087126). This patch should resolve the hitching issues that people were experiencing.

To clarify, since about Monday last week has the Steam version also been updated to fix hitching and stuttering? I was experiencing frequent frametime spikes (with an otherwise smooth 120fps) when certain events triggered or items came on screen or actions were performed by the player. It was not consistant (for example, each time I used psi blast it would not trigger, but maybe it did the first time I used it in a new area), and even dropping the frame cap to 80 or 60 did not eliminate them (on a G-sync display). I was wondering if this was something you also noticed internally, or if it's something unique to some hardware configurations but not others, and whether this was what you might have fixed.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The version on the MS store is "10180", not "1087126". "10180" is actually the latest patch that also exists on all other storefronts?

1087126 is the version I have on PC Game Pass. Are you sure you have the update? If you do, not sure why it's showing another version. I would consider uninstalling and doing a fresh install in that case. I just downloaded the game for the first time today and got the 1087126 version per the settings.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
1087126 is the version I have on PC Game Pass. Are you sure you have the update? If you do, not sure why it's showing another version. I would consider uninstalling and doing a fresh install in that case. I just downloaded the game for the first time today and got the 1087126 version per the settings.

When you say "settings", what exactly do you mean? Where do I access that?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
When you say "settings", what exactly do you mean? Where do I access that?

The Settings option from the main menu. It shows the version number in the bottom left. Only way to find out the game version from what I can tell

Edit: Should look like this

Asx6Zwo.png

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The Settings option from the main menu. It shows the version number in the bottom left. Only way to find out the game version from what I can tell

Edit: Should look like this

Asx6Zwo.png

Ah ok got it. Yes, that version number shows up for me as well. The version number shown in the Microsoft store update is incorrect.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit!

The
cooking bossfight
was probably the most unique inventive genius bossfight of any game I have ever played. This game is blowing me away with its creativity!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit!

The
cooking bossfight
was probably the most unique inventive genius bossfight of any game I have ever played. This game is blowing me away with its creativity!

I was a dummy and forgot the levitation ball can move over hazardous terrain so the boss was much harder than it needed to be

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I played for a while and did not experience any hitching of any sort. Not too far though, didn't even play it till the first boss or whatever but the experience was smooth by all counts.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well just 100%ed this game last night. Also did the same when I played the first game years ago on steam. The sequel was an absolute delight. The levels were ridiculously insane and creative. Also this game alone made my XSX purchase worth it. So glad I was able to play this on my CX in 4k/60 with hdr.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
finally beat it after forcing myself to do it, finally. this thing would sit for a couple days, i'd come back to it. still not done. come back to it a couple days later. still not done. come back to it later... how much more is there?

the game just isn't very fun to play. at the start of the game, the moment-to-moment jankiness of 2005 in 2021 was super endearing. early on the creativity was captivating and did so much of the heavy lifting. i loved the idea of making mental connections to solve problems. it's used for exactly one level.

combat fucking blows. it's the worst part of the game. take it all out - all of it, including boss fights, and the game is a lot better. you'd have some simple-to-frustrating platforming sections as the main part of the game still, but at least the utter tediousness of fights wouldn't drag the pacing down any further.

and the game is just... kinda long. there aren't enough segments in the game that make use of psychic abilities or concepts related to someone's mind. the basic framework ends up being, mostly, a series of okayish platforming segments with awful combat moments. and it goes on like that. collecting stuff isn't too fun either when you have to go find a thing, and then find the thing that goes with the thing. some ideas should have stayed in the 00s.

balancing it out somewhat is a super charming story and cast. ricky horvitz kills it as raz and i loved rosearik rikki simons popping up as the raz archetype later. but everyone does a great job. this took me back to memories of the first game in the best way. suddenly i was a teenager again playing the game on my xbox (in fact i was using an xbox controller via steam link so i guess that helped with the nostalgia). the plot twists were fun, and all the actors sold their parts really well.

additionally, the more creative elements of a mindscape were fucking awesome. climbing a ladder but it goes up forever, or heading through a door only for you to enter into a different reality altogether - the start of the game in dr. loboto's mind set a high expectation that wasn't exceeded later. it felt like a promise that wasn't ever improved upon. but it was at least welcome whenever it did show up to keep things surprising and engaging, when the actual gameplay might not.

so i'm done. eh.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I watch my wife play this over gamestream from my PC. I expected it to run better but the hitches and frame drops etc don't really bother her.

For reference 32gb ram, 3080, 10900k running it at 4k 60hz. Even on my desktop at 1440p 120hz I still see the framedrop/stutters.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I just got access to the bowling alley to complete the third part of reconstructing the brain and there was an alert about making sure to complete things before progressing further. Is this the point of no return message? It was kind of unclear.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I just got access to the bowling alley to complete the third part of reconstructing the brain and there was an alert about making sure to complete things before progressing further. Is this the point of no return message? It was kind of unclear.
it's a point of no return in that you won't return to the current hub areas until the post-game, but there is still a lot of game left.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
What figment am I missing, I'm losing my damn mind folks. If someone could pop in their game and see which one I'm missing…
I used these two GameFAQs guides to find figments. One to know which ones I'm missing and the other to find it.

PSI King Figments - Psychonauts 2 Walkthrough & Guide - GameFAQs

For Psychonauts 2 on the Macintosh, Figment/Collectible Guide by AngelicMM.

PSI King's Sensorium - Psychonauts 2 Walkthrough & Guide - GameFAQs

For Psychonauts 2 on the PlayStation 4, Figment/Collectible Guide by AngelicMM.

You're missing the fish on the last page (fifth column first row).

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main story late last night! Still had a bunch of side stuff left to do including an early quest that unlocked a REALLY USEFUL MOVE so that's funny.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
It's rather unfortunate that the level with the most figments is also the level where they blend in the most.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Or they are the most fun bc of that? My daughter and I laughed our asses off after missing a blue own that looked like the blue veins in the first level. We literally ran right past it minutes before.
If there is only like 50 or so. Totally. But when a level has 100 plus and you miss one.. yikes. The bags you can hear or search out knowing what you are looking for. Same fro brains or gold things. The figments can be anything and the same color as what they are next to. Hate em

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Oh what the FUCK it was dead ass center in backstage, I've been glossing over it for days 😂😂😂😂

Goddammit

Thanks Undrey 🍻
Hahaha I missed a few in those area and found them by literally just running around. I think the PSI King level was the one that broke me the most. There are so many figments and it's hard to see any of them when the level itself is that colourful. Bob's level also broke me but only because there's an area that's not accessible via fast travel so I forgot it even existed while going for the figments.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Omg, please tell me the photos I took last night saved somewhere? I can't find them!!!

I took about 50 last night posing in front of all the fun attractions in the questionable area using the in game camera but I can't seem to find where they save. I really hope I didn't have to use the Xbox screenshot tool to get them to save. I need to relive that journey through the pictures I took.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Slighty.
It still stutters like absolute crazy when loading new area and in cutscenes.
Why can't they just fix this shit?
It's bothering me so much because I really like the game. I can re-do a section and see it perform fine. Really frustrating seeing the performance right there. And every new cool moment takes me out of it with the game hitching up. For this to mar what is probably gonna be my only playthrough really sucks. I guess I will just continue and finish it because I don't have any faith in this actually being fixed :/