• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Game was 😘👌

Excellent design, the soundtrack was great and story was fairly solid. The combat was pretty bad, but worked well enough and difficulty wasn't bad. The worlds, er brains were fantastic.

Liked it better than the first title.

Minor quip would be having doors locked that can't be accessed until after beating the game is weird. I don't think you can't max things until after and then what's the point? That might be a misunderstanding.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how speedrunners can make use of things like
The Speed up badge for Time bubble
Already seen some wacky stuff.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Game was 😘👌

Excellent design, the soundtrack was great and story was fairly solid. The combat was pretty bad, but worked well enough and difficulty wasn't bad. The worlds, er brains were fantastic.

Liked it better than the first title.

Minor quip would be having doors locked that can't be accessed until after beating the game is weird. I don't think you can't max things until after and then what's the point? That might be a misunderstanding.
You mean the doors with mail slots?
You do need the projection ability found after the first point of no return to access those doors, but no upgrades. I imagine they wanted to incentivize players to poke around the Motherlobe and general overworld in the postgame, as they wrote a variety of postgame conversations.

This is separate from the issue of really only being able to max abilities in postgame, e.g., the "limitless" upgrade for no cooldown requires max rank, which would need something like NG+ to solve.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else think at the end of the game...

When you get told you've passed the interm program, the music that plays during the "victory pose" is extremely reminiscent of Star Wars OG trilogy?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Did anyone else think at the end of the game...

When you get told you've passed the interm program, the music that plays during the "victory pose" is extremely reminiscent of Star Wars OG trilogy?

It's probably a deliberate homage, yeah. It's the music they played in the first game whenever you got a power, and while they make a joke about it in the sequel with Mental Connection, it's only at the end he really gets to show off again.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Finished the game.
yes!
my game of the year until now!!
I just have to give my congrats to double fine.

This game is amazing overall, has great story, characters, gameplay, presentation and it's very imaginative.

Everything feels good but I just have to really elevates one thing that i think that is REALLY REALLY rare in this medium nowadays.
The game just feels incredible hand crafted in a way I really really miss in nowadays games.

Every part of the game feels that took the attention of developers and was carefully crafted.

Thats the thing that most impressed me.

In a Era were 95% of the games released just feels samey after a few hours, with the same talk of developers that " we created a sandbox world for players express themselves" , and then what we get are some mechanics played a thousand times in 2 or 3 types of mission designs repeated for the number of hours you want and most of time without a single incentive to do that , this game just feels really really hand crafted and made with absolutely passion.

In the end, I just find funny that, as a older guy (42 years) and a more technology lover, that likes more of games with more "realistic" characters with more "mature themes" , the 2 best games of the year for me are Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet and Clank.

If Psychonauts 2 doesn't at least get nomination for game of the year will be a really really shame in my opinion.

Game really is brilliant!

well said. And I'm only halfway through the game

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing it - The structure of the plot is kinda clever .
The first half of the game , they really drill into you ( and to Raz) the lesson that manipulating people's mind is a big no-no . " We dont fix people ", agent Forsyth say to him.
the in the second half, you find out Ford, one of the original Psychonauts and the object of Raz's hero worship for two games now, fucked up and did exacly that , and brought great deal of suffering onto Raz's family.
By the end , I agree with Otto - fuck Ford Crueler , he is an asshole and a coward

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably a deliberate homage, yeah. It's the music they played in the first game whenever you got a power, and while they make a joke about it in the sequel with Mental Connection, it's only at the end he really gets to show off again.

Glad it's not just me that spotted it! I haven't played the first game so didn't know it was in that one too, so I'm probably like 16 years LTTP on this haha.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
after seeing this trailer, I'm reminded that there were numerous opportunities to use levitation to bypass hazards on the ground.

outside of the lobotto level I didn't use it at all. Totally forgot.

Damn, I can't imagine doing that boss fight in the cooking game show level without using Levitation. I'm sure it's possible but it must be a nightmare.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's funny how small the percentage of people having the achievement for resuscitating is (10%).

Really hard to die in this game.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Levitation is life in Psychonauts.

I used it all the time, mainly as a speed boost, but almost never to roll over hazards. I forgot that was a feature.

Damn, I can't imagine doing that boss fight in the cooking game show level without using Levitation. I'm sure it's possible but it must be a nightmare.

Lol, looking back on it, it was a nightmare. Just kept trying to jump from can to can And collecting health when needed. I'm guessing you can just roll through the vomit without taking damage?

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I used it all the time, mainly as a speed boost, but almost never to roll over hazards. I forgot that was a feature.

Lol, looking back on it, it was a nightmare. Just kept trying to jump from can to can And collecting health when needed. I'm guessing you can just roll through the vomit without taking damage?

Yeah! You can straight up roll through all the gunk. I remember looking at those cans and thinking how much harder that would be without using the ball.

That boss fight is so long, too. Must have been pretty brutal.

childoac

Dec 16, 2020
Never played the original, had little interest in Psychonauts 2, only played after seeing such rave reviews on here...

and I'm blown away. One of the most imaginative, funny and tight platformers I've played in recent years, maybe since Mario Odyssey.

How does the first one hold up? Worth going back on Xbox GamePass?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Never played the original, had little interest in Psychonauts 2, only played after seeing such rave reviews on here...

and I'm blown away. One of the most imaginative, funny and tight platformers I've played in recent years, maybe since Mario Odyssey.

First one holds up well... On PC. On Xbox it's still 30 fps and a little janky. I think it's 4:3 too?

If you can just play it on Steam. It goes on sale for $1 but is worth picking up. Then you can play with a controller at high framerate and add a mod to fix widescreen UI stretching. Best way to play imo

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Well if you've already got gamepass then you don't really lose anything by giving it a go. I don't think it plays as well but the writing, vibe and eclectic level design are all pretty much on par with the sequel.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! You can straight up roll through all the gunk. I remember looking at those cans and thinking how much harder that would be without using the ball.

That boss fight is so long, too. Must have been pretty brutal.

LMAO I'm honestly dumbfounded that I didn't realize this. It was tough! Cans kept getting destroyed, and would fall into the gunk. I ate a bunch of lollipops, that's for sure. Haha.

now I wanna go back and play it again.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
With Nvidia make sure you have G-sync set to on and V-sync set to on at driver level using Nvidia control panel.
I'm already limiting the frame rate at below the monitor's refresh rate, but tearing is still there. I have to use the game's v-sync to make it stop. I guess VRR is a Series X exclusive like HDR?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Finished the game with all achievements today and loved every second of it. Absolutely brilliant game. I really hope they want to continue the series and that it won't take another 16 years for the next part to come out.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The progress stats on Steam are pretty impressive. Almost 40% of players have finished the game.
I wonder if this is partially due to it also being available on Gamepass?

If there's an option to play it for $10/mo and you opt to pay $60 instead... you probably really want to experience the full game. (this describes me, can confirm, I paid full price on Steam and completed it!) Those who aren't as sold on it have a cheaper option available to try it out if they want to.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone that dug the vibe of the Psi King level please give The Artful Escape a go. Also on Gamepass.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wonder if this is partially due to it also being available on Gamepass?

If there's an option to play it for $10/mo and you opt to pay $60 instead... you probably really want to experience the full game. (this describes me, can confirm, I paid full price on Steam and completed it!) Those who aren't as sold on it have a cheaper option available to try it out if they want to.

I don't think Game Pass is really a factor, since "many who paid full price are fans who were confident they'd like it" would apply regardless of whether the game is rentable elsewhere. Also, I imagine fence-sitters eyeing it on Steam are more likely to wait for a sale than wander over to the WinStore.

Edit: In comparison, I had a look at Alyx's achievement stats, and barely more than a quarter of players have finished it. While the game has been on sale a handful of times now, "players" is distinct from "owners" in that those who've bought a game but haven't actually played it aren't counted in the global achievement stats, not to mention the higher barrier to entry on account of its PCVR exclusivity, so ~38% for Psychonauts 2 still strikes me as a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing just one PSI card in the Questionable Area and it's driving me insane lol.

Is there one that's easy to miss in there? I got literally every other collectible there on my first visit besides what looks to be a scavenger hunt item behind a locked door with a mail slot. Maybe it's in the cabin the rapidly spinning waterwheel is attached to and I can't access it yet?

I also am missing one PSI card and a key in the Quarry, but I know one of those is behind a big fan in Otto's lab and I haven't taken that much of a look around the area in comparison.

The one I was missing was right at the start. There's three poles in the parking lot, north of the diner. You can climb them and jump from one to the other up to a platform that has a psi card

It's very hard to see this one from the ground.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how small the percentage of people having the achievement for resuscitating is (10%).

Really hard to die in this game.
Yet no one complains it being easy game. That is a testament of amazing game design.

Also I think if you die a lot in platformer, it isn't fun.

---

Got ~3GB update on Xbox. Can't find any patch notes on Doublefine site or elsewhere. Anybody know what is fixed?

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet no one complains it being easy game. That is a testament of amazing game design.

Also I think if you die a lot in platformer, it isn't fun.

---

Got ~3GB update on Xbox. Can't find any patch notes on Doublefine site or elsewhere. Anybody know what is fixed?

The game is way too easy, for the record.

It has enough other positives that I think a lot of people who feel the same don't make a big deal of it..

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Finally got 100% tonight. Some of the figment hunting was super annoying, and took me watching playthroughs of the levels to actually find the 1 I was missing. I would say that was the only annoying part of this game, as the other collectables weren't nearly as bad.

Makes me want to go back and play through the first game as I've never beaten it. But I think it may be rough going back after playing this one.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the final third of the game but I don't think I can continue anymore. The combat is absolutely awful and it became much more apparent in the final stages of the game. I don't feel like I have enough control over my character, it doesn't feel responsive and some of the later enemies are just cheap as fuck.