• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am avoiding looking at any walkthroughs as I always stumble upon spoilers when I do, so just curious how far along I am.
The Mail Room Ford Sequence.
And I'm pretty sure the game gave me a message about to do other stuff now, but I also know thanks to another thread that was started there's for sure a level I have not seen yet, so thinking I still have quite a way to go despite the message I saw?

You have plenty of game left.

That warning, however, does mean that after you progress with completing Ford's mind, you'll lose access to the Motherlobe until the post-game. So do everything you want to do in HQ now otherwise it'll be a while before you can come back. You can revisit old brains at your leisure in the new hub area, though - there's still a brain tumbler there.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You have plenty of game left.

That warning, however, does mean that after you progress with completing Ford's mind, you'll lose access to the Motherlobe until the post-game. So do everything you want to do in HQ now otherwise it'll be a while before you can come back. You can revisit old brains at your leisure in the new hub area, though - there's still a brain tumbler there.
Fantastic, that makes way more sense as it was not adding up to the completion times I saw mentioned. Psyched to hear there is plenty more. Thank you for the super quick and detailed reply.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I am avoiding looking at any walkthroughs as I always stumble upon spoilers when I do, so just curious how far along I am.
The Mail Room Ford Sequence.
And I'm pretty sure the game gave me a message about to do other stuff now, but I also know thanks to another thread that was started there's for sure a level I have not seen yet, so thinking I still have quite a way to go despite the message I saw?
You have quite a while to go you just won't be able to return to the Motherlobe until post-game.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished the game and got every achievement. I wanted to get every bit of post game lore/dialogue possible and I feel like I've managed to do so, but...
where are Sasha, Milla, Lily, and Truman all at post game? Feels super weird that you can't talk to any of them, I feel like I had to have just missed them somewhere.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and got every achievement. I wanted to get every bit of post game lore/dialogue possible and I feel like I've managed to do so, but...
where are Sasha, Milla, Lily, and Truman all at post game? Feels super weird that you can't talk to any of them, I feel like I had to have just missed them somewhere.

Sasha and Milla are in the bowling alley, Lili and Truman are in her little grotto thing in the quarry.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I mean we got a pretty blatant tease with Loboto having a kid, who attends Whispering Rock!?!?!?
I'm not sure, tbh. Are you referring to the scene where Loboto is seen escaping Sasha's lab?
Yeah, and Sasha and Milla's postgame conversation is all about how they're about to go back for the next group of campers. It feels pretty un-Double Fine to do a DLC campaign, but I'd definitely welcome it.
You're right, let's see what's next.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, tbh. Are you referring to the scene where Loboto is seen escaping Sasha's lab?

Yeah.

I'm currently in green needle gulch, can I return to the mother lobe some how? I can't remember, it looks like it wants me to progress but I got a are you sure vibe.

Once you finish the story, you can go back to the motherlobe. You have free access to all hub areas and all brains in the postgame.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is the lathe beyond too far to return? It's weird because I wanted to use the archetype on locked doors.

As soon as you finish Ford's psyche, that's the point of no return for the Motherlobe. You can't go back until after you beat the final boss. The Astralathe is the final point of no return before the two endgame minds.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Any chance the gamepass version will be patched today? I'm stuck until it is..

There was a mention on Friday that a patch was incoming for the Game Pass version in a 'few days', presumably going through Microsoft Certification. I don't think anyone can accurately predict how long that exactly takes. Personally I'm not expecting anything until the end of the week (especially since things probably were at a halt over the long weekend). If the patch is out sooner then great.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, here are my (entirely spoiler filled) thoughts on Psychonauts 2. If you need any idea of the kind of thing I'm about to write, understand it's coming from someone who not only has a diehard love for Psychonauts, it's one that existed since launch and where I got to go "I was there before it was cool" for all eternity.

I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, but I'm not sure what that means considering I wanted to like a game called Psychonauts 2 more than I would my future children.

Psychonauts was art in its purest form, something that was felt, something driven entirely by emotion, and consequently the big revival of a beloved cult classic is always going to lead to nerdlingers like me having Opinions. I am slightly mature enough to understand when I'm being unfair in this regard, the reality is that anything I could come up with for a hypothetical Psychonauts 2 wouldn't deserve to exist because fans don't have a say in where a story goes, let alone one told 16 years later.

So right out of the gate, which I went into mercifully short detail when I started, the very beginning of Psychonauts 2 felt really wrong to me. It was really sterile, kinda twee, it didn't sound like Psychonauts. I knew about the plot points of Rhombus of Ruin so starting out with Loboto captured by the Psychonauts wasn't really a problem (and also I was stupid enough to think the shitty office setting was actual Psychonauts HQ until Loboto showed up), but the vibe I was getting didn't feel like Psychonauts, I just felt like I was watching some really blunt and direct cartoon. This was not at all helped by the constant, intrusive tutorial dialogue that would make Ratchet & Clank 2016 blush, and R&C ended up being kind of a point of comparison for me in this period: the characters were softer, the writing more into making the characters chipper and the new ones felt pretty stock, and it lacked the pointed edge of Psychonauts' writing.

Those feelings got exacerbated with the interns and their stock high school hazing, but then come Hollis' Hot Streak I came to a bit of an epiphany: this still isn't Psychonauts, but that's okay because it was going in a new and interesting direction by having Raz screw Hollis' mind up and face the consequences of that, and that's something I never really considered because of course I didn't, I am a fan, not a professional writer.

Suddenly this new avenue of Psychonauts has opened up: the reality of having the power to alter minds, on the job action in a psychic spy thriller, Raz just not being able to shape up for it and doing something of grave consequence, and that's really cool! Raz was a bit of a wunderkind in Psychonauts, complex and interesting still, but he did make kind of a pisstake of the entire scenario by solving a world conquest plot in a day, so this idea that he bullrushes into a scenario like a kid and uses powers with gross irresponsibility on his first day on the job, I was really happy. It was the moment that the game kind of crystalized for me as Psychonauts 2, and not the sequel to Psychonauts I've been dreaming of over a decade.

And then that shifted real hard which was super weird.

Once Hollis' mind is over that part about the professional aspects of being a Psychonaut is just gone from the plot, and it becomes focused on the Psychic Six. Compton and Helmut's worlds feel more in line with the bombastic and more animated aesthetic from Hollis and Loboto's worlds (another thing I will get into) but once you're piecing Ford back together the game starts shifting back towards the moody colour palette and visual storytelling of Psychonauts with a story driven entirely by really sad, broken people finding healing and redemption. I need to be clear that I adore the Psychic Six, Bob's Bottles is maybe the singular peak of Psychonauts as a series because the visual and character storytelling are so phenomenal (I absolutely wigged out when I realized all the water drowning the area was booze) and on the whole they've proven to be the most compelling characters in the Psychonauts universe, I just don't know if I really wanted this story to be about them at the expense of Raz. He doesn't really feel like a mover and driver of the plot, he's just getting the band of oldies back together and then that ties into the overarching villain plot since it's also about redeeming her as one of the gang.

I don't know how to word that, I suppose. I loved every second of it while, simultaneously, disliking how they ate the plot? I didn't feel like it really mattered to Raz as a character the way his desperate drive to earn all his merit badges and solve a world-threatening crisis before his dad shows up to pick him up was the whole point of the first game. Not that he, personally, would not care about a Psychonauts crisis involving his not-grandma, I mean that it didn't really feel like it mattered that Raz was the protagonist.

That segues into my biggest problem with Psychonauts 2 (other than the fucking tutorial dialogue); there are way too many characters in here. Orbiting around Raz are the interns, the adults and Lili, the Aquatos, and the Psychic Six. That is over 20 major characters, or at least characters I want to spend time with, competing with each other, and the Psychic Six eat so much of the screen time that everyone else falls to the wayside. The interns are just there for one world and that's it. There's this big triumphant return in the finale for them but I don't care because I don't know them, they don't matter, which is more than can be said for Lili, Sasha, Milla, Oleander and Loboto, who might as well not even exist.

The campers were numerous too, but they didn't really matter. You don't actually have to care about Elton to beat the game, but Elton's life is going on with or without your input. Meanwhile Raz's entire family is right there and it's rife for character drama that just never happens. Meeting the Aquatos, characters who were born out of an in-game poster, is completely secondary. Raz's brother is a dick and for the payoff you need to have a single conversation with him in the postgame.

That's a bit of a bummer, even if what we've got are six really interesting, really complex characters who carry the whole game themselves, but it's not really the Psychic Six's game, it's Raz's where he finally gets to go to Psychonauts HQ, and I never really felt that like I should.

I need to stress in writing this that all of this is coming from a fan, which is to say a dumpster full of drugs and rotten food and maybe a dead body. I'm not gonna say there was no way I was gonna like it, because I like NieR way more than I do Psychonauts and NieR's remake that came out this year took a game that was in my Top 3 favourite games and rocketed it to the top, but I don't think there was any way I was going to approach it on its own merits, nor am I really interested in doing so. Psychonauts is art, it's driven by emotion, and consequently the emotions it made me feel are its legacy for me. It's not really about the game itself, it's about what it makes me feel.

Everything I haven't brought up is something where you can just put a big stamp labeled "glowing praise" over it so: the more dynamic and action-oriented combat is fun but I think the punches have too little impact, otherwise it's great. The visual splendor of every single inch of Psychonauts is just joyous to behold that I can't really think of a way to convey that other than pointing at every individual chunk of level and go "THIS IS SO GOOD OMG." Compton's level is kind of bland I guess, it doesn't pop the way the others do, but the sea of alcohol and broken dreams? The tutorial level where Loboto destroys the office setting with his own dental obsession? Cassie's papercraft city? Ford's splintered levels representing his most tragic memories? The visual storytelling of the final level being a pastiche of It's A Small World to sell to the player the rampant entitlement and immaturity of the true villain? It's fucking bellissimo, no other way to put it.

This isn't really praise or criticism, just an observation: I found Psychonauts to be driven by character writing, whereas I feel Psychonauts 2 was more into thematic writing. Compton's story is about crippling anxiety and Helmut's is about his sensory issues, whereas I found, say, Gloria or Edgar's levels to about them specifically, how they as people have been impacted by their mental illnesses as opposed to how Compton's is about how we, the audience, can be more informed and supportive of those with crippling anxiety, and I think this filtered into the aesthetic design of their worlds. Sasha's world is how he perceives it; compact, tightly organized, in control, and while on paper that's the same with Bob, a fractured mess of islands drowned in alcohol where all his memories are hidden at the bottom of another bottle, I think Psychonauts 2 capitalized more on the visual metaphor as a piece of fantasy instead of how these people, specifically, view their reality. Neither is better or worse than the other, that's just the impression I got.

And... that's it, I guess. Psychonauts 2 happened and now it's done. Never thought I'd see the day so I don't know how to process that ending.

I don't disagree that there are so many characters that some get more of a spotlight. To me the game is about family as much as it is anything else, so having every single mind and main character be connected on a personal level worked much better for me than P1 where everything outside of Oleander was just kind of there for flavor. Especially the second half where you're dealing with the Asylum and brand new characters who barely tie into Raz's story at all and function more as vignettes based on concepts the team thought would be cool.

The whole "they're here and then they're gone from the rest of the plot" is something that bothered me about the first game with Sasha and Milla basically having their short levels which show their personality and then they're just gone.

Having more detached characters and story seems like something that works more for you than me, because I love the first half of the original game a lot more than where it ultimately goes (almost reverse of how the second one feels), especially with Loboto who basically gets introduced right at the end. Watching a Rhombus of Ruin playthrough really does help set up the second game from that.

The recap video is honestly pretty awful as a primer for characters and only gives a very brief overview of events.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Rolled credits, probably about 20 hours deep and I still don't want to leave this world. The music, characters, art style and level design… all so expertly made so that it's continuously pulling you in. Having only played the original a few months prior I'm so glad to see the sequel just mail it in almost every way.

Tempted to go for the 100%, what an incredible game. Congrats Double Fine! Pretty solid completion % as well, about 9% less than two weeks after launch is pretty damn solid.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Just finished 100% to get the full 1000 achievements. Normally I wouldn't but I enjoyed the game so much, seemed fitting. Had to use an online guide to finish it off - but most of it I found myself pretty quickly.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Finished the game.
yes!
my game of the year until now!!
I just have to give my congrats to double fine.

This game is amazing overall, has great story, characters, gameplay, presentation and it's very imaginative.

Everything feels good but I just have to really elevates one thing that i think that is REALLY REALLY rare in this medium nowadays.
The game just feels incredible hand crafted in a way I really really miss in nowadays games.

Every part of the game feels that took the attention of developers and was carefully crafted.

Thats the thing that most impressed me.

In a Era were 95% of the games released just feels samey after a few hours, with the same talk of developers that " we created a sandbox world for players express themselves" , and then what we get are some mechanics played a thousand times in 2 or 3 types of mission designs repeated for the number of hours you want and most of time without a single incentive to do that , this game just feels really really hand crafted and made with absolutely passion.

In the end, I just find funny that, as a older guy (42 years) and a more technology lover, that likes more of games with more "realistic" characters with more "mature themes" , the 2 best games of the year for me are Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet and Clank.

If Psychonauts 2 doesn't at least get nomination for game of the year will be a really really shame in my opinion.

Game really is brilliant!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Y'know something small I really liked in this? The use of portals to create more naturally dreamlike spaces. They didn't really draw attention to it more than once or twice, but it's used really nicely throughout to subtly connect areas in ways that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

Apr 24, 2018
Ugh...I missed five or six figments in the...uh...gardening related level. Not looking forward to trying to find these for the achievement, later.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
I'm confused. You just respawn if you die. It's not like you can miss any collectables or figments in this game (although none are available during that boss fight AFAIK).

Absolutely, but at the beginning of the boss fight. If I had some PSI Pops or Dream Fluffs left, the fight would be a lot easier to manage, because I could take more hits. But I've run out. Can I use the smelling salts to leave and buy more items, or will that start me over at the start of the whole cooking show?

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but at the beginning of the boss fight. If I had some PSI Pops or Dream Fluffs left, the fight would be a lot easier to manage, because I could take more hits. But I've run out. Can I use the smelling salts to leave and buy more items, or will that start me over at the start of the whole cooking show?

I'm pretty sure you won't have to do the entire cooking show again if you exit the mind. I haven't personally tested exiting a mind mid bossfight, but I've exited minds at other points and re-entered and it always saved the progress I had made.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
What I really like about the game is its focus on the older generation. The lost loves, regrets and fading away that you often see in real life. Its a nice change from the young and the beautiful saving the world once again.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
A story revelation in this last night actually made me say "oh my god!" out loud, ha. This game is amazing.

I was hoping to have this finished before Tales of Arise lands, but I don't think that's likely to happen at this point, with how little free time I have at the minute. Still, I'm not interested in rushing through this (I've just met Cassie), and Arise can wait for a few days - so far, this is an easy pick for my personal game of the year.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else find some of the platforming kind of weirdly difficult? Sometimes it seemed like if I didn't exactly jump at the end of the ledge I wouldn't make it to the next platform.

Maybe I was missing something, it didn't happen a lot, but it was strange in a rather simple game.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm missing just one PSI card in the Questionable Area and it's driving me insane lol.

Is there one that's easy to miss in there? I got literally every other collectible there on my first visit besides what looks to be a scavenger hunt item behind a locked door with a mail slot. Maybe it's in the cabin the rapidly spinning waterwheel is attached to and I can't access it yet?

I also am missing one PSI card and a key in the Quarry, but I know one of those is behind a big fan in Otto's lab and I haven't taken that much of a look around the area in comparison.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing just one PSI card in the Questionable Area and it's driving me insane lol.

Is there one that's easy to miss in there? I got literally every other collectible there on my first visit besides what looks to be a scavenger hunt item behind a locked door with a mail slot. Maybe it's in the cabin the rapidly spinning waterwheel is attached to and I can't access it yet?

I also am missing one PSI card and a key in the Quarry, but I know one of those is behind a big fan in Otto's lab and I haven't taken that much of a look around the area in comparison.
Not sure if a card was behind them, but QA has a couple of suspicious stone walls, I feel like I remember most of the cards just being scattered about the trees and such otherwise.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There's a few breakable walls around - like, rock walls that you hit with the PSI Blast. I think at least one has a card in it?

There's also some items that you need the Time Bubble powerup for, not sure if you have that yet. Again, can't remember if there's a card among them, but I'm pretty sure there is.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not sure if a card was behind them, but QA has a couple of suspicious stone walls, I feel like I remember most of the cards just being scattered about the trees and such otherwise.
I destroyed two stone walls in the area. If there's a 3rd one I missed then that is likely it, but I thought I was pretty thorough in that regard.

There's a few breakable walls around - like, rock walls that you hit with the PSI Blast. I think at least one has a card in it?

There's also some items that you need the Time Bubble powerup for, not sure if you have that yet. Again, can't remember if there's a card among them, but there might be.
So far I haven't needed any of that... whatever it is. I got both the axe and the mushroom without it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So far I haven't needed any of that... whatever it is. I got both the axe and the mushroom without it.
Oh, interesting, didn't know you could get the mushroom without it. That's the area I was thinking of, so if you've been there you're probably set.

There's some burnable paintings in the Den of the Cyclops? On the very top of the restaurant? That's all I can really think of - otherwise they're mostly just in the treetops.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My next idea would be...
Really taking in the displays for the Sassclops?
I burned one away (which led to a whole bunch of stuff), I didn't see anything else that looked flammable?
Oh, interesting, didn't know you could get the mushroom without it. That's the area I was thinking of, so if you've been there you're probably set.

There's some burnable paintings in the Den of the Cyclops? On the very top of the restaurant? That's all I can really think of - otherwise they're mostly just in the treetops.
Well, like I said, I've gotten everything except for one PSI card and the scavenger hunt item I mentioned earlier lol.

There's burnable stuff at the top of the restaurant?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Have you COMPLETELY exhausted the treetops? There's a lot of tiny little spaces up there it can be hard to keep track of.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Have you COMPLETELY exhausted the treetops? There's a lot of tiny little spaces up there it can be hard to keep track of.
I feel like I would have seen something else up there if there was one in plain sight still. I found one of Gisu's... things that force you into a fight, several PSI challenge markers, and a whole bunch of other PSI cards.

I guess I can take another look when I get home...