• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm to dumb to link my xbox activity feed screenshot upload, so I made a screenshot of my screenshot. :D

psy2_bug6qk2l.jpg

happend while
changing the scenery props in search for the egg
You better get in touch with God. Chop chop.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Think I got to the end of the game last night. Is there a way to go back..

I'm about to go into the mind of Nona. Is there a quick way back to the Motherlobe beforehand? There's a couple areas I wanted to go back to now that I have all my abilities. I saw there's a brain tumbler near the machine but no quick travel

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
There isn't. Your best bet is to check what kind of figment you are missing and search the area where they appear. If you are missing a Star it might be the one that is between a darker mental connection path in the forest. If you are missing clapping hands, they'd be near the end of the level.
The one I'm missing is the grey musical note that is on the bottom right of page 2 in the notebook.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Really enjoyed the first one but that was 15 years ago I gotta say I'm not having as much fun as I thought I would with it but maybe I'm not in the right state of mind.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Almost finished the game (I suppose), and wow. I liked the first game, but had its problems... this one is almost a perfect platformer game, with a fantastic story, lot of great humor.... definetly on my top platformer ever.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
In the post game now, and happily re-explored the main hub areas to find all the collectibles - but having now moving back into the brains, I've really lost motivation. It's nice that you can see exactly what you are missing, but have no guidance as to *where* you are missing it is leading to just kind of aimlessly wandering around. Couple that with the way that the levels no longer naturally flow from one section to the next, and that the fast travel point is usually back at the start of each area meaning you have to back track to continue on is making this collectible clean up process much more clunky than I feel it should be.

Either re-exploring the worlds needed to be more streamlined, or we needed to be given more guidance as to which area to focus on for missing collectibles. (And this could even be super vague - even just adding the green check mark to areas that are 'done' would be sufficient. If an area didn't have a green mark I'd know I need to scour it for whatever else I'm missing)

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
In the post game now, and happily re-explored the main hub areas to find all the collectibles - but having now moving back into the brains, I've really lost motivation. It's nice that you can see exactly what you are missing, but have no guidance as to *where* you are missing it is leading to just kind of aimlessly wandering around. Couple that with the way that the levels no longer naturally flow from one section to the next, and that the fast travel point is usually back at the start of each area meaning you have to back track to continue on is making this collectible clean up process much more clunky than I feel it should be.

Either re-exploring the worlds needed to be more streamlined, or we needed to be given more guidance as to which area to focus on for missing collectibles. (And this could even be super vague - even just adding the green check mark to areas that are 'done' would be sufficient. If an area didn't have a green mark I'd know I need to scour it for whatever else I'm missing)
It's a bit baffling to me that they give you a tool in this game that is essentially an item finder -
the little headset radar that lets you find and activate stray thoughts
- but never extended that out to figments and/or baggage and vaults. Like when I got that I thought we would get upgrades for it or pins to add that functionality to it, but no.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about the Zanotto level so far. I only got halfway through and it's good but it's not as good as the other levels so far. Hope it picks up.

Oct 27, 2017
Game of the year.
One of the best platformers I've ever played.
It's truly amazing how well this game came out.
16 years since the first, and its still unlike anything else, and I thought the first game was flawed.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about the Zanotto level so far. I only got halfway through and it's good but it's not as good as the other levels so far. Hope it picks up.

I thought quality-wise it was on par but it does come straight after another three-way-path hub level, and the door steers like shit

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got 1000/1000 last night, I hope for other people's sanity they patch in some way to more easily track where items are. There are some absolute bastard figment spots.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
The beach one? It's probably the weakest level in the game, though it has some cool moments
Yeah I like the overall theme but it hasn't hooked me. The immediate damage from falling in the water also doesn't help much either. Still, the first game didn't have all perfect levels either so it doesn't bring the game down too much.
I thought quality-wise it was on par but it does come straight after another three-way-path hub level, and the door steers like shit
Yeah the door took me a minute to figure out. I spent more time than I would like to admit before I realise I had to press a button to move. Thought my game had glitched.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit baffling to me that they give you a tool in this game that is essentially an item finder -
the little headset radar that lets you find and activate stray thoughts
- but never extended that out to figments and/or baggage and vaults. Like when I got that I thought we would get upgrades for it or pins to add that functionality to it, but no.

100%. I actually could have sworn there was a development update on Fig that mentioned being able to track figments and other collectibles, so when I got that item finder I totally thought the same thing. So weird. I guess i'll just queue up some walkthrough videos to get it done, but it's a shame there isn't better in game support to do so. (Or as I mentioned initially - make the process of manually hunting them down as friction less as possible.)

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Reading this thread and and it's making me feel like a bit of an outlier. While I definitely liked the game I far from loved it, thought the combat was kind of annoying and the platforming only adequate. The game's kind of strict adhererence to the rule of 3 sort of made some levels feel like they overstayed their welcome too, like rest assured whatever you have to collect/do you will probably need to do it 3 times, with the only wrinkle being that sometimes to do the 3rd thing you will need to do 3 sub tasks first.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the first one but that was 15 years ago I gotta say I'm not having as much fun as I thought I would with it but maybe I'm not in the right state of mind.
Yeah, I just beat the game and I liked it, but it won't stay in my head like Psychonauts 1 did 15 years ago.

I was also 10 when I played that one and maybe that's why I found it hilarious, while with this one I smirked a lot but can't remember any stand out jokes.

I never enjoyed the combat encounters and the platforming is decent. I found no real reason to grab figments or luggage since none of the power upgrades where that great, and again, combat in general was middling.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread and and it's making me feel like a bit of an outlier. While I definitely liked the game I far from loved it, thought the combat was kind of annoying and the platforming only adequate. The game's kind of strict adhererence to the rule of 3 sort of made some levels feel like they overstayed their welcome too, like rest assured whatever you have to collect/do you will probably need to do it 3 times, with the only wrinkle being that sometimes to do the 3rd thing you will need to do 3 sub tasks first.

I agree that the praise is SO effusive it no longer seems genuine because there are some legitimate complaints about core mechanics in this game. At the same time, the creativity is just off the charts and that makes it easier for me to forgive lots of sins (luckily most of the sins are pretty minor.) But yes, overall i agree with you.

Oct 28, 2017
My second point of no return warning. Possibly leading to endgame now? Gotta say the game hasn't reslly had a wow level like the later levels in the first game yet. I hope there's still time for one.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Agreed! Having more guidance on where to find the figments would be great. Embrace YouTube videos! play at 2x speed and you'll find the fragments faster than expected. But yes, a chore to be sure - especially since, in my experience, half the time the figment is super hidden in a secrete alcove.. and half the time, it's in plain sight in the starting 10 seconds of a level :p

IMO the latter half of those levels are way better. It doesn't help that in that initial section, you die immediately if you hit the water - that's not the case in most other sections in that world. Thematically, possibly because it's not water, it's beer. But still. It's a strange gameplay decision that makes an inherently somewhat frustrating section, much more so.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This game is pretty long kind of just keeps going. I don't think the double "this is the end" warning helps.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it.

Gotta be honest I could only handle an hour or two a day because the gameplay is just kinda wack most of the time, and the constant interruptions of random cut-scenes and dialogue were pretty annoying. Often it feels like the devteam wished they had made a classic adventure game instead or something.

Anyways, I enjoyed it but I think parts of the overall story come across as being a little half-assed. The overarching structure of the game is pretty dang weird, and when the game tells you about the point of no return I'm just left with a feeling of what the fuck. I would say I liked the original Psychonauts more back in 2005. There's some really inventive stuff in that game. P2 does have its share of clever stuff but I feel I was more impressed with the first one, at least for the time it was released. Maybe I'd feel different if 16 years later combat and platforming was still just OK at best. Forcing all these combat arenas on you with what they got is just such a bizarre choice.

Anyway, I'm kinda jonesing for another Broken Age or Grim Fandango playthrough for some reason.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

I did not enjoy playing the level itself, but while playing it there was a moment in the level where it hit me and I realized what I was being shown and there was an overwhelming sense of happiness, joy, and sadness all at the same time. It was such an amazing story moment that I didn't expect(maybe hints were laid out and I missed it) and got a few tears in my eyes.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I had to sit for a second and remember what the initial story actually was. Like, finding a mole in the Psychonauts seemed like the big push at the start but now 6 hours later and no one has evens mentioned it for hours lol

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game this morning, liked it overall. I think I would have liked it more if it was about 1/3rd shorter, though. Whenever I would enter a new level in the game the first thing I'd look for is how many Figments there were to collect; if it was 40-50 I knew I'd be in for something enjoyable, if it was more like 200 I knew it'd end up being a slog. As wonderfully creative as the game's visuals and design can be, I found the longer levels really wore out their welcome and I was ready to be done with them long before they actually ended.

The combat isn't much fun and unfortunately I found the platforming itself perfunctory at best. There's no mechanic that I really enjoyed just for the tactile thrill of movement; controlling Raz isn't its own reward in the way the great platformer characters can be. It's just... jumping. And jankily sliding off sloped surfaces and having him not grab stuff when you want him to, and walljumping off stuff when I'm trying to climb over it. It does the job, I guess.

Anyway, seeing the levels themselves was the big draw for me, and some of them really are wonderful. I'm not a big fan of the 'adult cartoons who talk about trauma' genre, but I do appreciate the whole pulp sci-fi/spy aesthetic so I still found a lot to like. I guess this is technically front-runner for my GOTY right now, but mainly because I've barely played anything this year, lol. I liked it more than RE8, and that's been my whole 2021 in gaming :P

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the main story. Amazing! Not only my GOTY but my favourite game I've played in the past few years. Many parts of the ending section felt like a Pixar meets Tim Burton cartoon. Just a brilliant game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
would straight up merk a dude to see psych 1 remade in this level of fidelity though

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found the last figment I needed in the Psi-King levels. Fuck me, I love those levels but I'm just sick to fucking death of looking at them this point lol.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had issues with trophies/achievements not popping for them? I maxed out my PSI pops capacity days ago and when I looked at my trophy list today I realized there was a trophy for doing that but it was still locked for me.

I'm loving this game otherwise though! This is everything I wanted in a sequel and I don't want it to end.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had issues with trophies/achievements not popping for them? I maxed out my PSI pops capacity days ago and when I looked at my trophy list today I realized there was a trophy for doing that but it was still locked for me.

I'm loving this game otherwise though! This is everything I wanted in a sequel and I don't want it to end.
Everything has popped for me so far. I'm mopping up the figments, vaults, etc. from the levels at this point. I've gotten everything else.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I somehow missed the progression achievements for the mail level and the Sensorium. Very dumb bug. I already e-mailed Double Fine about it and they told me they're definitely working on fixing it.

ImmortanRambo

Jun 25, 2020
Really really hope this game sells well enough / gets enough gamepass love to get a sequel. Went into it thinking, what the heck I'll try this. Now going for the 1000/1000 (which I never do). Easily my goty of the year!

Nov 8, 2017
Really really hope this game sells well enough / gets enough gamepass love to get a sequel. Went into it thinking, what the heck I'll try this. Now going for the 1000/1000 (which I never do). Easily my goty of the year!

Schafer didn't seem to be a fan of how this project consumed the whole studio for so long. I wouldn't expect a sequel any time soon, since a game of this size and quality is not what I think he wants to be making right now. I'm expecting smaller, shorter, more experimental games with DF splitting into 2 or 3 teams.

In terms of performance, steam sale estimation techniques put it around ~100k owners on that platform. Not spectacular, but not a total disaster either. I would be very surprised if it sold >400k total copies over the launch window on all platforms.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
IMO the latter half of those levels are way better. It doesn't help that in that initial section, you die immediately if you hit the water - that's not the case in most other sections in that world. Thematically, possibly because it's not water, it's beer. But still. It's a strange gameplay decision that makes an inherently somewhat frustrating section, much more so.
Glad to hear that. The one fall kill was one of my main annoyances so I'm glad that's not there throughout the entire level though I am still a bit confused why
the hand reaches out at all after you discover the curse isn't a curse at all. I get that Raz doesn't know how to swim but it's weird that the hand still reaches out to pull you in.

I did not enjoy playing the level itself, but while playing it there was a moment in the level where it hit me and I realized what I was being shown and there was an overwhelming sense of happiness, joy, and sadness all at the same time. It was such an amazing story moment that I didn't expect(maybe hints were laid out and I missed it) and got a few tears in my eyes.
Yeah I really liked the way the level's character acts and the way you find out more about them each section. I think the level's actual gameplay might be the weaker of the two (vs story) in this case.