• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

2020 was a dang strange time but Psychonauts 2 is doing well and will release next year. You can play the whole thing from start to finish! It's happening In the video below, Tim looks back at 2020 and outlines the work that's ahead.

• Content lock happening this month.
  • The game will still be playable after reaching the end of the main campaign.
  • Next year is focusing on polish.
  • Talks about the mindset on cutting features that aren't working.
  • Committed as a studio to not crunch on Psychonauts 2 to get those features in.
  • Shows a bunch of gameplay clips (and funny bugs!)

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the project mgmt debates. Debating whether adding a feature is worth making the wait longer or if they should just scrap it if they can find a better alternative

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't really paid much attention to this game but from the snippets it looks gorgeous. Didn't play the original.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, wow. If they hit content lock this month, I guess it actually is a 2021 game.
Great news!

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Really cool video to see some of the internal discussions. The Tim streaming the game internally also seems very helpful to a team.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really paid much attention to this game but from the snippets it looks gorgeous. Didn't play the original.
imho it's worth playing if you get a chance. It's one of those cult classics and the PC version isn't half bad last I played it. The charm and characters have aged wonderfully and while some levels are a bit of a slog, the shining moments are still fantastic.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore Double Fine and imo MS did a really great job scooping this team up.

Can't wait to play Psychonauts 2.

Really looking forward what they're doing next.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Love that I'm recognizing some of these people from the (incredible) Broken Age documentary!

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
The lighting and art is looking excellent, and it really feels like this game is just around the corner. I am so ready to dive back in.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What's going to happen to the Fig investors? Will they still get a cut from every game sold even after the MS acquisition?

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Are they doing a documentary along with Psychonauts 2? I really enjoyed the Broken Age one.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a PS5 version will be a thing or if they'll just commit to the PS4 version only and do a Series X version as their only next gen console version due to being a MS studio now. I'm assuming that's what they will do of course. In which case, I'll be curious how the XBox One X vs PS4 BC on PS5 comparison will end up before I decide what to play it on.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game does look great in some of those clips.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I wonder if a PS5 version will be a thing or if they'll just commit to the PS4 version only and do a Series X version as their only next gen console version due to being a MS studio now. I'm assuming that's what they will do of course. In which case, I'll be curious how the XBox One X vs PS4 BC on PS5 comparison will end up before I decide what to play it on.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything beyond whatever Double Fine had promised pre-acquisition.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
great video, as always

so excited that this is actually coming out next year, its been one of my most anticipated games for a few years now!

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Schafer is slowly but surely aging his way into being Santa Claus.

Still kinda can't believe this game is actually happening, and I backed the thing. It's been so long since the original!

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
"Why did you have their eyeballs float in front of their heads? Is that to indicate how rich they are?"

LMAO, Tim always kills me.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
That crunch stance made me very happy. All the best to DoubleFine and hope they have a splendid release.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
The bits of footage they've shown look good, but it didn't feel like being in another person's brain world. It looked more like "normal" levels you'd expect in a run of the mill jump'n'run. I hope that they just chose to not spoil any of the good stuff and showed overworld stuff instead.

Anyway, can't wait.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the biggest difference will be that the game runs at 60fps on Series S/X and 30fps on ps5 through BC

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
The bits of footage they've shown look good, but it didn't feel like being in another person's brain world. It looked more like "normal" levels you'd expect in a run of the mill jump'n'run. I hope that they just chose to not spoil any of the good stuff and showed overworld stuff instead.

Anyway, can't wait.

oh those were like the whole premise and main initial idea for tim shafer to make the first game,
(what i remember from interviews of the time.)
they are also like the highlights of that game for everyone who played it, actual platforming was nothing to write home about.

theyll surely be in this as well, would be shocked if wasn't.