• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I love my PSVR and really want to continue using it, but I'm trading in my PS4 this weekend now that I have a PS5 preordered.

Sony has mentioned that they will be offering PSVR owners some sort of adapter for the camera back in August, but no news has dropped since then on how they will specifically support the platform and, frankly, it's a bit concerning.

Anyone else a bit perturbed by this? With the PS5 demand, I don't want to have to wait months after release before getting back into VR on a PS console because I can't get some sort of peripheral or something.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Not terribly, I go through bouts of not plugging in my PSVR for months at a time anyways. I'm hoping they have the adaptor ready for when Hitman 3 drops at the very least.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I totally forgot about that adaptor actually.

Yeah, you are right... you'd think they would have given us a way to order it by now.

Personally I'm not too concerned about not being able to use my PSVR on launch day as there's PS5 games to play.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Why concern, when they already said almost all PS4 software will be compatible and that PSVR would work on PS5?ž

As for PSVR2, I expect that in late 2021 or later.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They said it will work, they said they will give the adapter for free, they said 99% of PS4 games will work, so no I am not worried at all.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I just need to know if I still need the breakout box or not. If I do I might sell it and wait for psvr 2.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not rushing into PS5 ownership and I'm planning on keeping my PS4 (for standalone PSVR use) so I'm not too bothered, but yes, some more information about that adapter would be welcome. I'd hoped to move my PSVR straight over to PS5 but the breakout box not supporting HDMI 2.1 (for VRR) is a huge hindrance.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's radio silence on VR stuff has me holding off on PS5 for now. I've got plenty of games to play anyway.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I've accepted that the adapter is going to ship after launch. Not happy about it but what can you do.

Very tempted by the Quest 2 though, Sony burnt me by offering no upgrade path from gen 1 to a box that could support HDR and now this. Wireless VR is mighty tempting right now....

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about the whole adapter thing, I hope it doesn't turn into a whole Kinect scarcity thing. It's going to be a while before a new model comes out so I hope they've planned for A BUNCH of these adapters... but Sony and planning, bleh.

I was hoping there'd be an upgraded version at launch, or new controllers or something.

This silence sucks.
That's definitely not happening, we've known that for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
The general lack of a lot of info, including PSVR for PS5, is frustrating. I have one on pre-order, but every day I get closer and closer to canceling because I'm worried it won't be what I'm hoping. PSVR is one of the main reasons I want one and if the support for it at launch is disappointing, I don't know if I'll keep my order.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping the existing PSVR library is compatible with a hopefully improved PSVR 2. After getting a Valve Index I find it so hard to go back to PSVR's awfully laggy and imprecise tracking. Which is why, despite the amazing library of exclusive games, my PSVR has been in storage since around February.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm just hoping the adaptor will be available no problem here in Peru. My Pro will most likely still be plugged to my TV (plus setting up the PSVR is a bitch, which is why I don't put it away or anything) so I'm not that worried about PSVR compatibility on PS5 just yet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't want to talk about PS5 and literally anything you may have already spent money on.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, we know that NOW. But 6 months ago? 9 months ago?
Yes, actually. We've known they wouldn't launch a new PSVR at the same time as the PS5 since May 2019:

"There's no reason for us to coincide it with a new console. From the point of view of the consumer, to be bombarded with many many things is a message that we don't want to send. In some ways it's good to have a little breathing space between those things,"
Source

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible the adapter will go into the USB-C port and replace the breakout box? Or will you still need the breakout box and 2 HDMI cables?

I don't know if the increased bandwidth of USB-C will enable this? But using breakout box will be a pain as it won't pass a HDMI 2.1 signal through

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 is just going upstairs to the room of my two boys but still, lack of info is bothersome to an extent.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we know it's supported along with the moves, games and dualshock for BC, and the camera with the adapter.

Would be annoying if the adapter isn't just in the box or takes awhile when requested. Probably will try to run through my VR backlog before hand.

Curious how new games will work. If they will be PS4 games that work on PS5 but only through BC because they probably need to support the dual shock 4?

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
I love my PSVR and really want to continue using it, but I'm trading in my PS4 this weekend now that I have a PS5 preordered.

Sony has mentioned that they will be offering PSVR owners some sort of adapter for the camera back in August, but no news has dropped since then on how they will specifically support the platform and, frankly, it's a bit concerning.

Anyone else a bit perturbed by this? With the PS5 demand, I don't want to have to wait months after release before getting back into VR on a PS console because I can't get some sort of peripheral or something.

Could be in the retail box...

How would I do it?

An USB-C cable attached box
with PS4 Camera in and HDMI out, USB in
to connect with the PSVR box

Code:
PS5--USB-C--!   !------------ PS4 cam
            !   !--- HDMI -! !
            !   !--- USB --! !-- PSVR

If it in the process would become PC compatible....

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think we will be pleasantly surprised. Astrobot just received a patch a few days ago... Maybe to allow improvements on ps5?
I just want to know how to get that adapter and hopefully have it at launch. I'm holding quite a few games to play them with at least ps4pro performance since i have a normal ps4

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Could be in the retail box...

How would I do it?

An USB-C cable attached box
with PS4 Camera in and HDMI out, USB in
to connect with the PSVR box

PS5 -- USB-C --! !---------------------- PS4 cam
! !--- HDMI -! !
! !--- USB ---! !-- PSVR

If it in the process would become PC compatible....
Hadn't considered that, if it's a relatively simple adapter it makes a lot of sense to just include it in the box. That way future PSVR on PS5 buyers are set too.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just waiting on info and how to get the adapter. Other than that I'm good with PS5 and VR. I do wonder though if I could just buy the new camera and use that for PSVR?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing keeping me with a Sony at all was PSVR. I went ahead at ordered an Occulus 2 since Psvr feels extremely outdated with those Move controllers.

I waited for Dreams to add VR functionality for a long time and now that it's here, it really shows how old these Move controllers are.

I'll still look at psvr2 when it's time but it's clear that I'll have to be looking elsewhere for VR for the time being.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I don't understand how a month before release such major questions still remain unanswered. What VR games will be compatible? Any quality improvements? Do saves carry over? How do we get the camera adapater?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
A year ago I thought that at this point in the year we'd already have had starting getting info from Sony about VR2 so I'm pretty annoyed. The fact that we may not hear about for another year or 2 really freaking sucks.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to plan some stuff out for sure. I just sold my PS4 Pro last night, have a cheap copy of Minecraft coming in the mail to try the VR mode. I'd love to try the new Star Wars Squadron in VR as well. If it is going to be a huge hassle or dleay, I might just send my set to my nephew to enjoy in the meantime.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No. Just waiting to learn more about the adapter for PS5, and how to request one. If I have to wait a few weeks before being able to connect my PSVR to my PS5, it's not a big deal. I have so many games I'll be playing on launch that my PSVR isn't going to be getting much love anytime soon anyway.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm not concerned, but release day can't come soon enough. My hope is a boost mode on the PS5, but I'll be happy if it just loads faster.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Wouldn't say I'm worried but some information on the PS5's support for PSVR and how to obtain an adapter for the camera would be nice. Since the PS5 is PS4 BC, I'd like to remove the PS4 from under my TV and just use the PS5. But I won't do that until PS5 has PSVR support.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We just need to know how to get the adapter. Which, I think will require serial numbers of PS VR & a PS5.

On the PlayStation 5 landing page, it does say smoother frame rates for PSVR games through the"boost mode."

I'm assuming they are being a little silent about it cause a new headset is probably coming next year with new controllers.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Like others have said, I just want some info on the adapter. I'm hanging onto my PS4 Pro for the moment, but if/when I get the adapter ordered or in my hands, I'll probably sell my Pro. It doesn't hold any specific nostalgia for me that makes me want to keep it if it's going to sit in a box or collect dust.