• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I didn't think I liked Wipeout at all. I tried a demo of Wipeout on Saturn (!) and I bought Wipeout HD on PS3 and never enjoyed it. It seemed boring and I could never get a feel for what weapons did and what has an effect.

Sooo I tried the Wipeout demo in VR and was immediately struck by how incredible it felt. It reminded me of playing big arcade machines with motion cabs like Daytona 2, or going on an intense rollercoaster.

So I bought the Wipeout Omega Collection and I've been loving the 2048 campaign, despite my being terrible at it.

However! I tried Wipeout HD mode in VR and found it incredible boring. I have no idea what it is that makes Wipeout HD mode so boring!

So many I just like Wipeout 2048 mode, using VR and dpad controls!

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Bought it on the recent sale for $4.99 and the VR experience is out of this world! It's well-polished and intense!

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
This was my first experience with my recently purchased VR and it sold me on the idea big time. Blew my mind just sitting at the starting line looking around at all the detail I didn't even see on a flat screen.

Super good that they patched it for PSVR too, I bought Omega Collection at launch but since I already owned HD/Fury/Vita there wasn't much point in it until VR. Now it's an essential for me.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah it really is unbelievable in VR! Anyone know sales numbers to gauge the chance for a successor? Man, a new VR WipEout on PS5 would be insane!

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
It's a pretty revelatory experience, especially for someone like myself who is a fanatic for the series. Dream come true!

One of the few 'full' VR titles out there.

Yeah it really is unbelievable in VR! Anyone know sales numbers to gauge the chance for a successor? Man, a new VR WipEout on PS5 would be insane!

I don't think the Omega Collection set the world on fire when it first came out, but it's one of the main showpieces for the PSVR and has endless glowing impressions from everyone who has played it. Shame they killed Studio Liverpool, but I think Clever Beans/EPOS/XDEV could pull-off a new title if given the chance. It's a perfect franchise for VR.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Yeah, Wipeout VR is great. When it recently went on sale, I had to double dip on the digital version just so it could live on my system for impulse plays.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
If you're looking for another full game racing experience, look at Dirt Rally. It's a sim but really good in VR, it's usually on sale too.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wipeout 2048 VR is quickly becoming one of my favourite VR games, and possibly my favourite racing game of all time.

I'm playing with dpad... is this wrong? It feels easier somehow.

What's the difference between HD and 2048? Why is 2048 so much more fun for me?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Still haven't mustered the courage to try this game in VR.
As someone that suffered a day of VR sickness in the Oculus DK1 demo, I was very wary of Wipeout VR.

Thankfully they have various really great VR comfort options. They turn them all on by default and invite you to turn them off/on from the mid race pause menu. I gradually reduced the cockpit blinkers (which limit horizontal vision), and I'm prepared to turn them back on if I feel queasy. I love Wipeout VR so much! Definitely next to Astro Bot as one of my favourite VR things.

Shame the demo doesn't have as many comfort options. I wish they would update it! I had to take breaks when trying the demo.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It surprisingly doesn't make me feel sick either. I thought I'd try it once and it would be too much, but it's quite an easy game to hop into.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed OP, Wipeout looks so clean aswell, Surrral being inside those ships/vehicles and racing. Who the hell would have thought that 20 years ago we'd Be in VR with Wipeout, Same with RE7

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Wipeout 2048 VR is quickly becoming one of my favourite VR games, and possibly my favourite racing game of all time.

I've been playing WipEout since the 2097 days and I prefer dpad. Nothing wrong with that.
While I prefer HD to 2048 the reason you like it more may be either aesthetics (2048 is near future and grittier while HD is far future, cleaner even aseptic) or track design (2048 has a lot of shortcuts and alternative routes while they are a lot less frequent in HD) or maybe you like the variety that the different ship types bring compared to the fixed stats by team on HD?

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I don't think the Omega Collection set the world on fire when it first came out, but it's one of the main showpieces for the PSVR and has endless glowing impressions from everyone who has played it. Shame they killed Studio Liverpool, but I think Clever Beans/EPOS/XDEV could pull-off a new title if given the chance. It's a perfect franchise for VR.

Studio Liverpool sadly got closed but some devs created the new Studio Firespite and they made with The Persistence already a very good PSVR game.

I am confident Sony wants a new Wipeout for PSVR 2 and maybe Firespite is doing that...

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Bit sad the it only goes at 60fps, you really see the confusing motion blur in your face on fast speed, I would have liked a 90fps/worse graphic mode.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Studio Liverpool sadly got closed but some devs created the new Studio Firespite and they made with The Persistence already a very good PSVR game.

I am confident Sony wants a new Wipeout for PSVR 2 and maybe Firespite is doing that...
I remember when Firesprite first popped up I was really, really hoping that they'd be contacted to do a PS4 WipEout after all, or pick-up where SL had left off on their existing PS4 WipEout project.

Maybe with the (supposed) success in the VR experiment, and Firesprite's tenure with the series AND VR expertise, there's a perfect opportunity!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Glad to know I'm not alone with dpad control! :)

I've been playing WipEout since the 2097 days and I prefer dpad. Nothing wrong with that.
While I prefer HD to 2048 the reason you like it more may be either aesthetics (2048 is near future and grittier while HD is far future, cleaner even aseptic) or track design (2048 has a lot of shortcuts and alternative routes while they are a lot less frequent in HD) or maybe you like the variety that the different ship types bring compared to the fixed stats by team on HD?
These are good observations! Yeah, the tracks in the HD version don't seem very interesting at all. The whole of HD feels like they boiled every piece of grit away from Wipeout and ended up with something very clinical. It's almost like the Star Wars vs Star Trek aesthetic.

The fact that I enjoy Mario Kart probably helps explain why I prefer 2048. Give me short tracks, shortcuts, lots of boosters and weapons and lots of fun ways to feel part of the race with the other ships.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI

How far did you get in HD? For me, I went from finishing the 2050 campaign directly into the first section of HD and the game felt super slow. Of course it did, those are the first and easiest tracks and I just finished the fastest tracks from the previous game. Once I got into the campaign a bit further, HD felt much, MUCH better. I still like all the shortcuts in 2048 though, but there are some great tracks in HD.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Glad to know I'm not alone with dpad control! :)

These are good observations! Yeah, the tracks in the HD version don't seem very interesting at all. The whole of HD feels like they boiled every piece of grit away from Wipeout and ended up with something very clinical. It's almost like the Star Wars vs Star Trek aesthetic.

The fact that I enjoy Mario Kart probably helps explain why I prefer 2048. Give me short tracks, shortcuts, lots of boosters and weapons and lots of fun ways to feel part of the race with the other ships.
Keep in mind that, if I recall correctly, all HD tracks are originally from either WipEout Pure or WipEout Pulse. With those being from the PSP era, it's not strange that a cleaner more straightforward look and design was used. Specially when Pure was an early PSP showcase. Simpler stuff can help in making shinier graphics, a point that was kind of important in PSP's favour during the early competition between PSP and Nintendo DS.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
WipEout VR is fantastic didn't make me feel sick at all and I jumped in with all the comfort settings off! WipEout Omega Collection even without VR is an amazing game and everyone should buy it to make sure a new one is made. I want a new game with all new, longer tracks!

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I wish races were longer. Two or three laps is too short. I'm just getting settled into the zone when the race ends. And frankly I actually find I get most queasy in VR during menu stuff... it's weird but I generally find menu navigation like pulling up the quick menu, navigating the OS, messing with UI options... this stuff can feel jarring and uncomfortable in VR compared to being in-world. Menus and load screens are off-putting interruptions, like right up in your face, and oftentimes make me wince. So the super short races constantly throwing you back into menu and load screens is not (for me) working in VR's favor. I'd rather have a long, gruelling race against the AI where it's a matter of skill and attrition, and spend less time staring at load screens.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The number of laps changes depending on the speed class you use, when you get up to Phantom the races last 5 laps.

Sometimes it is best to set up a championship so it loads the next race for you automatically as well.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
My first time playing Sol in VR is a gaming moment I'll never forget. That shit was intense.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Just bought the game myself for my new PSVR (and its my first exposure to the series as well)- the game is freaking amazing. Its a shame to see hardly anyone online through.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

I would argue that HD/Fury is a bit more clinical / pure racing, shorter tracks as well; while 2048 is a bit more loose regarding its physics, has more elaborate tracks / shortcuts; that kinda stuff. The biggest difference is that it just feels different.

2048 wasnt that good on Vita because of the framerate, slowdown and small screen (and the brown/detailed style they went for made things look chaotic quick), I'm a big Wipeout fan but I couldnt play more than 20 minutes before I got annoyed with it on Vita. With Omega it has been great tho.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Spent three hours in this game today and the time just flew by like it was seconds. Playing it with all comfort settings turned off and it's a blast.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I was blown away by how good Wipeout is in VR. I was terrible at before the VR patch hitting walls and generally not having a good time. When they patched it for VR decided to give it another go and it's like a completely different game and is defs in my Top 3 for PSVR games, easily the number 1 racer.

VR adds so much to the experience in it, I can judge distance to corners way better thanks to the 3d depth. The sense of speed is unreal, something you just don't get in "flat" racing games. I can't even play racing games on the TV now as they just feel so slow and boring.

I really hope we get a full on brand new Wipeout game for PS5 with VR support, can't even imagine how crazy it would be being built from the ground up with VR in mind on a next gen system.

EDIT - One thing I wish VR games in general would do is when you start the game up ask you straight off the bat what comfort settings you would like if any. Give like a template of Full, medium and off or something as I think a lot of people start up games and don't realise how good they are because of all the comfort settings.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing experience in VR, right up there with Astrobot for me.

I do wonder though, if things would have been different if the VR was there day one and it was more a selling point in the marketing.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I'm waiting on my PSVR being delivered, and have Wipeout ready to go. Can't wait!

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was good at Wipeout, but then I strapped on the headset and I felt like an ace pilot, holy crap.
If nothing else ever comes of the PSVR, I'll be glad with this.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Keep in mind that, if I recall correctly, all HD tracks are originally from either WipEout Pure or WipEout Pulse. With those being from the PSP era, it's not strange that a cleaner more straightforward look and design was used. Specially when Pure was an early PSP showcase. Simpler stuff can help in making shinier graphics, a point that was kind of important in PSP's favour during the early competition between PSP and Nintendo DS.
They were, in fact, from those two PSP games. So it was designed around that hardware but WipEout HD was recreated for PS3 from scratch.

2048 is pretty awesome though and I love the improvements they made like different pads for defensive and attack weapons.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
They were, in fact, from those two PSP games. So it was designed around that hardware but WipEout HD was recreated for PS3 from scratch.
I know they were but even if circuits like Vineta K or Ubermall are recreated with greater detail, their visual signature and track layout remains the same as when they were created with the possible constraints that came with PSP hardware.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
One of my favourite things about Wipeout Omega Collection is that one of the loading screen tips still has default spelled as 'defult'.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I play it on the d-pad. You need seriously quick inputs and tap-turning feels more confident than an analog stick with the way the game plays at those speeds.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I play it on the d-pad. You need seriously quick inputs and tap-turning feels more confident than an analog stick with the way the game plays at those speeds.
Hmmm... I've been using analogue. While I'm here what is the strategy for the fastest speeds? A+ etc...

Is it full speed airbrake slides around bends or do you have to take your foot off the pedal?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IMO Driveclub is the best VR racing game. It has full VR menus, full VR replays with multiple angles, VR cruise mode, and IIRC a photo mode. Its really only held back by the graphics and lack of a pro patch

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Driveclub is the best VR racing game. It has full VR menus, full VR replays with multiple angles, VR cruise mode, and IIRC a photo mode. Its really only held back by the graphics and lack of a pro patch
In 100% agreement but I think we're in the minority here. Shame it never got a proper Pro patch...

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout is the shit, especially in VR; super glad to read about folks enjoying it.

sony for god's sake please do a new wipeout for ps5/psvr2