• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I need some recommendations for party games!
I'm working on a local multiplayer overview thread, will ping you once it's posted. Until that's ready, i can throw in some titles without explanation. :)

The Playroom VR
Bloody Zombies
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Pixel Gear
VR The Diner Duo
Smash Hit Plunder

Check out some YT coverage or something else what looks likely to suit you.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What are the best games to have come out this year on PSVR? I haven't hooked mine up since January and rebooked it back up because I just bought Astrobot. I need to get Moss too. Are there any other good ones?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on a local multiplayer overview thread, will ping you once it's posted. Until that's ready, i can throw in some titles without explanation. :)

The Playroom VR
Bloody Zombies
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Pixel Gear
VR The Diner Duo
Smash Hit Plunder

Check out some YT coverage or something else what looks likely to suit you.
Thanks! Looking forward to it.

I have playroom. Will look into the others today. Thanks again.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread, thanks for putting this together. I've played some of these on Occulus but my current living situation makes VR easier on the playstation. I'll probably be picking some of these up over the next few months.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering braving RE7 in vr but I'm wondering about what to expect and whether I'll be able to deal with it. Are there any spiders, snakes or insects(like centipedes or anything like that)in the game? Any water based enemies? Those are my specific phobias.

I can deal with jump scares but I almost gave up on Moss because of the snake boss. Luckily it was cartoony enough that I was able to deal but I was pretty freaked out at first.

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any spiders, snakes or insects(like centipedes or anything like that)in the game? Any water based enemies?
There are swarms of spiders blocking doors (fire helps). And there are insects, both as "harmless" scare effect and bigger ones to fight.

No snakes, no water based enemies.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
There are swarms of spiders blocking doors (fire helps). And there are insects, both as "harmless" scare effect and bigger ones to fight.

No snakes, no water based enemies.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I might have to pass on RE7. Too bad because it looks amazing, but I'd probably give up as soon as I had to deal with all that.

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried The Persistence yet? Proper scary (though not quite straight forward horror like RE7) nice gameplay mechanics, no insects, no snakes, no water. :)

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the demo when I first got the psvr and felt motion sick right away (so far the only game to do so). Tried it again last night and lasted much longer, but eventually felt sick again. I'm starting to get my vr legs at least. A couple weeks of Wipeout have helped with that.

Nov 8, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm immune to motion sickness, therefore my recommendations may not be suitable for everyone. Disable all comfort features (teleportation movement, blinders, snap turning, etc.) in each game for best experience.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Wipeout VR
- Not only more fun than TV, but easier to play in VR too.
Skyrim VR - Using Move controllers.
Thumper
Resident Evil 7
Farpoint
- Using Aim controller.
Dirt Rally - Using wheel and pedals.
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - Using Move controllers.
Here They Lie - Overlooked launch game. Short, but great if you're looking for something weird and different.
Statik - Another overlooked game. Great for puzzle fans.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Great thread premise. Might I also add that PSVR recently crossed its 2nd anniversary so be on the lookout for a VR-centric PSN sale this week.

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Added all new entries, still working on the charts thread upgrade.
Here They Lie - Overlooked launch game. Short, but great if you're looking for something weird and different.
I recently played 4 hours straight of The Persistence, and everything was fine, as usual. This weekend, to overcome cuteness overload of Astro Bot, I thought: why not try to continue Here They Lie? After 15 minutes, I already felt very sick, after another 10 minutes, I thankfully reached the next chapter, explicitely stating the progress is saved. Needless to say I stopped there.

Will probably continue playing it on flat screen, because I do like the design (the gameplay is still boring, though) and want to see where it goes. Just can't stomach it in VR, tried with and without drive mode, it was an early (failed) experiment in that area. Which is good because later games learned from mistakes of earlier ones.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played 4 hours straight of The Persistence, and everything was fine, as usual. This weekend, to overcome cuteness overload of Astro Bot, I thought: why not try to continue Here They Lie? After 15 minutes, I already felt very sick, after another 10 minutes, I thankfully reached the next chapter, explicitely stating the progress is saved. Needless to say I stopped there.

Will probably continue playing it on flat screen, because I do like the design (the gameplay is still boring, though) and want to see where it goes. Just can't stomach it in VR, tried with and without drive mode, it was an early (failed) experiment in that area. Which is good because later games learned from mistakes of earlier ones.

This is precisely my experience too, which is a shame as I like the game otherwise. It had a lovely nightmare feel that I quite enjoyed. I haven't tried it in a while now, but every time I boot it up I play for fifteen minutes, get really sweaty and naseous before turning the game off. For reference, I can play Windlands, Wipeout and Resi. 7 with all comfort options turned off without feeling even slightly sick.

I would honestly recommend against buying it if you specifically buy it as a VR game.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
- SuperHot
- Astro Bot
- Job Simulator
- Moss
- The Persistence
- Farpoint
- Firewall: Zero Hour
- Skyrim
- Resident Evil 7
- Statik

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great thread, should be very helpful for the new PSVR owners.

My Top 10 PSVR Games.

1. WipEout Omega Collection.
  2. Astro Bot
  3. Resident Evil 7
  4. Firewall: Zero Hour
  5. SuperHOT
  6. Knockout League
  7. Sprint Vector
  8. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  9. Skyrim
  10. Star Trek Bridge Crew
Very Worthy Honorable Mentions.

Moss
Farpoint
VR Worlds
Battlezone
Tethered
Bloody Zombies
Job Simulator
I Expect You To Die
Statik
RAW Data
Batman

I could go on, so many good VR games now. :)

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Can I play The Persistence sitting down?
I play it exclusively while sitting. In fact, I play most games that way, even e.g. Firewall, because it doesn't gain that much more freedom of movement over sitting at the edge of the seat. Some games really must be played standing, like Superhot.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Why? Does something bother you with this thread?

I think it is because nobody has mentioned a certain game he made, so I'll add it to my list:

VEV: Viva Ex Vivo - Play as a single-cell lifeform gathering energy to survive in different fluid based levels. The microscopic nature of the game invokes feelings of being in Fantastic Journey / Inner Space, good for those of us who like trippy games!

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, then I'm sorry, but there's just no chance for me. VEV was a nice experiment at launch, but the gameplay is not really captivating. And I have no love for sports games whatsoever, so no 2MD either.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Added all new entries, still working on the charts thread upgrade.

This just goes to show what a tricky target preventing motion sickness is - The persistence causes me real issues which I don't get with virtually every other game - Here They Lie was absolutely fine for me, like DCVR, RIGs with no comfort setting etc yet the persistence brings me out in hot sweats and I just can't play it for long.

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
This just goes to show what a tricky target preventing motion sickness is - The persistence causes me real issues which I don't get with virtually every other game - Here They Lie was absolutely fine for me, like DCVR, RIGs with no comfort setting etc yet the persistence brings me out in hot sweats and I just can't play it for long.
Interesting, but I dare say Here They Lie is well known to cause illness, while The Persistence has only relatively few such reports.

Generally, you are absolutely right. A collegue of mine says he get's sick (literally) with click turning, needs smooth turning to feel well. I am exactly opposite of that. That's why we'll always need options.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a lot more BOUND in this thread. When they updated it so the camera can be flown around and tightened the graphics in the headset.... I've run through this game multiple times, it's beautiful.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. I also wouldn't mind seeing a list of the best 3D Blu-ray content to watch in PSVR too. :)

Edit: And FWIW, here are my picks, just based on the limited number of PSVR games I've played so far:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Dirt Rally
Thumper
Rez Infinite
Wipeout Omega Collection

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I recommend Megaton Rainfall if you have VR legs. It's short, cheap price, and rough outside the campaign but man when it's firing on all cylinders it feels amazing. It made me say wow several times. Think Superman simulator.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
It's very beautiful but the gameplay becomes a bit boring imo.
I hear people say that but it's never been boring for me, I love the environments and how the character moves through obstacles through dance. My complaint is the how the jumping feels stiff for a character based on the fluidity of dance.

In VR this game was engaging and relaxing and beautiful to look at imo with tons of otherworldly flourishes and a camera that you can move freely (this is super important to me in VR games) the sense of movement and scale is great. I approached the game as one in which I explored a dreamscape as opposed to looking for a platforming challenge.

In general I would like to see more games drop the gamey aspects and allow me to explore. Tethered comes to mind. I love how it looks and the later implementation of the move controls but the challenge level is something that takes me away from the islands and the creatures in it.

I hold exploration, wonder, relaxation, and curiosity in high regard especially playing in a VR environment. I enjoy typical games there as well but I feel VR allows for more nuanced exploration and taking in of environments slowly and contemplatively far more than 2d games.

It's early days for VR yet and I can't wait till new software is put out that doesn't adhere to classic gaming structures.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend Megaton Rainfall if you have VR legs. It's short, cheap price, and rough outside the campaign but man when it's firing on all cylinders it feels amazing. It made me say wow several times. Think Superman simulator.

such an amazing experience, though a bit rough here and there, controls very well, and made my jaw drop several times.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I hear people say that but it's never been boring for me, I love the environments and how the character moves through obstacles through dance. My complaint is the how the jumping feels stiff for a character based on the fluidity of dance.

In VR this game was engaging and relaxing and beautiful to look at imo with tons of otherworldly flourishes and a camera that you can move freely (this is super important to me in VR games) the sense of movement and scale is great. I approached the game as one in which I explored a dreamscape as opposed to looking for a platforming challenge.

In general I would like to see more games drop the gamey aspects and allow me to explore. Tethered comes to mind. I love how it looks and the later implementation of the move controls but the challenge level is something that takes me away from the islands and the creatures in it.

I hold exploration, wonder, relaxation, and curiosity in high regard especially playing in a VR environment. I enjoy typical games there as well but I feel VR allows for more nuanced exploration and taking in of environments slowly and contemplatively far more than 2d games.

It's early days for VR yet and I can't wait till new software is put out that doesn't adhere to classic gaming structures.

Technically Bound is really impressive and it showed early after PSVR launch that 3rd person works very well in VR.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
1. Wipeout
2. Astro Bot
3. Polybius
4. Rez Infinite
5. Moss
6. Until Dawn RoB
7. Thumper
8. Batman Arkham VR
9. I Expect You to Die
10. Statik

OP
OP
Planet

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I think this absolutely fits in here:

I'm fine with all the choices. The show is a collective effort of man known YouTubers, it has some developer responses, the Tarsier Studios even put a bit of effort in.

Best Launch Game: Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Best Wave Shooter: Blasters of the Universe
Best Horror Game: Resident Evil VII
Best Multiplayer Game: Firewall Zero Hour
Best Move Support: Superhot VR
Best Sci-Fi Game: Farpoint
Best Physical Workout: Creed: Rise to Glory
Best Racing Game: WipEout Omega Collection
Best Puzzle Game: Statik
Best Use of VR: Pixel Ripped 1989
Most Immersive World: Skyrim VR

Best PSVR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think this absolutely fits in here:

I'm fine with all the choices. The show is a collective effort of man known YouTubers, it has some developer responses, the Tarsier Studios even put a bit of effort in.

Best Launch Game: Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Best Wave Shooter: Blasters of the Universe
Best Horror Game: Resident Evil VII
Best Multiplayer Game: Firewall Zero Hour
Best Move Support: Superhot VR
Best Sci-Fi Game: Farpoint
Best Physical Workout: Creed: Rise to Glory
Best Racing Game: WipEout Omega Collection
Best Puzzle Game: Statik
Best Use of VR: Pixel Ripped 1989
Most Immersive World: Skyrim VR

Best PSVR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Seems a pretty spot on list of winners. All worthy of winning.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So was Sprint Vector all hype? I remember so many people saying it was VR's killer app and how great it was and everyone needed it, now I rarely hear anyone mention or recommend it. Even here many other games have been recommended much more over it already.

Also its nice to see I own most of the vr games recommended to me except moss and astrobot :) they'll make great Christmas gifts to myself lol

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
So was Sprint Vector all hype? I remember so many people saying it was VR's killer app and how great it was and everyone needed it, now I rarely hear anyone mention or recommend it. Even here many other games have been recommended much more over it already.

Also its nice to see I own most of the vr games recommended to me except moss and astrobot :) they'll make great Christmas gifts to myself lol

Not in my Top 10 list but Sprint Vector is very good imo.

The controls need some practice.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Great thread, added many games to the wishlist.

My favorite VR games so far:

Resident evil 7
Super Hot
Thumper
Here They Lie
Wipeout Collection
Job simulator
Rez Infinite
Doom VFR
Tethered
Eagle Flight

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I'm very prone to motion sickness in VR, so my list consists of more static experiences.

These are my top 10 so far:

• Astro Bot Resuce Mission: A serious GOTY contender and the best VR game I've played so far. Almost feels like an homage to a wide array of Nintendo games (don't wanna spoil anything), pretty much every stage offers something unique and it's just so much fun to play.
  • Batman Arkham VR: This was the first VR game that blew me away back when PS VR came out. Yeah, it's a short experience but I enjoyed every minute of it and gladly replayed it to find all of Riddler's secrets. Feels good to be Batman.
  • Catch and Release: No one has mentioned it here so far, which is a shame, as Catch and Release is the best fishing game you can get right now and an amazing, relaxing experience. It's just you in a rowboat on a big, beautiful mountain lake (visually the game reminds me a bit of Firewatch and it looks amazing), you can row and throw the line out wherever you want, sell your fish, buy new bait, lures, rods and all sorts of shenanigans, grab the camera and take photos of wildlife, find treasures or simply enjoy wildlife. If you're into fishing or just want something relaxing to unwind, you should really give this a look (watch trailer below).
  • Headmaster: "The Stanley Parable/Portal of VR soccer games" is an actual quote from Destructoid and that nails it perfectly. You have to solve 40 test scenarios by heading balls (and other objects) towards all sorts of targets, triggers etc. while constantly being challenged and insulted by someone over speaker. It's laugh-out-loud funny at times, but can also get quite challenging.
  • Job Simulator: Great VR showcase in my opinion, as it's just fun to grab objects, throw them around and cause havoc like a maniac. Playing this game is always jolly as hell.
  • Moss: That's the one game on my list I haven't played it, but as soon as its on sale it'll be mine. Looks like a cute adventure.
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin: If you're into Psychonauts it's a no-brainer to get this game. It's got the same quirky humor, some neat puzzles and it's Psychonauts
  • Superhot VR: Could also be named Matrix: The Game. It takes a couple of minutes to get used to its unique "Time only moves when you do" mechanic, but once you do you essentially feel like Neo, dodging bullets, disarming enemies and pulling off the most spectacular kills.
  • Tetris Effect: "Tetris in VR needs to happen" is probably the last thing anyone would say, but here we are and this game is just a mindblowing, mezmerizing, trippy experience with outstanding visual and audio design. Really, really cool.
  • Thumper: With or without VR, Thumper is an awesome game and like a crossover between F-Zero and Guitar Hero. Very hypnotic, great soundtrack and if you have the choice, VR is the way to play this game.

Other games I can recommend: Playstation VR World, I expect you to die, Statik and Dino Frontier.

Last edited:

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
None of the lists have Creed on them. Is it that bad or has nobody really played it? I'm curious as that's one of the games in the bundle arriving at my house tomorrow.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
None of the lists have Creed on them. Is it that bad or has nobody really played it? I'm curious as that's one of the games in the bundle arriving at my house tomorrow.

I've not played it, but I heard it's not bad. Some people seem to prefer Knockout League. Either way, you'll be fine as your bundle comes with Superhot and that game is amazing.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case, then I'm sorry, but there's just no chance for me. VEV was a nice experiment at launch, but the gameplay is not really captivating. And I have no love for sports games whatsoever, so no 2MD either.

2MD is really more of an arcade game, and it's actually made for folks who both like and dislike sports games :)