• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For a message board that's supposedly more progressive, there seem to be quite a lot of people here with no qualms about financially supporting the conservative Facebook headset.

They are losing money on Quest and honestly it's really tiresome hearing that it's the job of consumers to fix dystopia. I assure you most users here buy from Amazon. Regulation is the only real fix.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have a PSVR any more or it would have been day 1. Loved the first game and its sad to see it do poorly.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Well that was incredibly silly on Sony's part. At least the devs have the money from the exclusivity deal anyway and they can just port it later on. Makes no sense releasing a PSVR exclusive at this stage.

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first game, but i played it on quest. Sucks that it's a psvr exclusive this late in its lifecycle. I'll either wait to play on PSVR2 or quest.

Oct 25, 2017
Ya PSVR was allready the worst VR headset in VR when it launched. Not saying the games just the hardware and specially the dumb ass move controllers. With VR being so niche, the people playing VR have likely moved to the quest 2 or are waiting for PSVR 2.
Worst in resolution maybe, but with less screendoor effect than some higher resolution headsets.
PSVR remains the most comfortable headset and therefore the most suitable for long play sessions.
The Move controllers and being limited to base PS4 compatibility are the biggest points holding PSVR back.

But Moss doesn't use the Move controllers and looked fantastic on base PS4.

Sep 20, 2021
PSVR has been long dead and was only short time relevant in the VR market.

Even PSVR2 looks already old with its cable based system, compared to the much cheaper Quest2 (and when PSVR2 will release the next Quest will probably dwarf its sales).

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding stats in OP, I believe PSNProfiles or Sony has made it harder to sync trophy data, or at least there's some extra hoops to jump through. A recent thread that compared rare trophies had me trying to sync, and I ended up not bothering despite having an old profile/trophy card.

I think these stats aren't remotely accurate, even when compared to the first games stats.

P.s. I've bought the game but haven't played it yet as I want to replay the first one.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Making it a psvr exclusive this late in it's life was a bad move. Wish it would have came to the quest. Hopefully it's playable on the psvr2 because I really enjoyed the first one.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Like so many others, just holding out for PSVR2. I really enjoyed the first one, but I'm also waiting for the jump in hardware before continuing the PSVR adventures. The breakoutbox and tracking are very cumbersome and finicky compared to one wire / one box and inside-out position tracking. I've also been spoiled quite a bit by the the PS5's hardware performance, which makes it difficult to go back, even through backwards compatibility.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
For a message board that's supposedly more progressive, there seem to be quite a lot of people here with no qualms about financially supporting the conservative Facebook headset.
Playstation was just recently in the news for a lawsuit regarding sexism in their workplace. Are you going to also be condescending toward the people supporting PSVR as well, or just the Quest users because it's popular to hate facebook?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I must say the "eww, last gen" in this thread surprises me to some extent. Sure last gen becomes old news the second next gen is announced every generation. But there's a way higher concentration of Persona and Dark Souls players on this forum and all the other examples of good games that released late on platforms.

Then again everybody lost their mind when PlayStation announced God of War Ragnarok was cross gen.
PSVR1 is like five VR gens old lol

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so emotionally invested in a corporation that you make a comment like this. Sony isn't a conservative money grubbing corporation ? There is no legitimate conversation to be had with this weird multibillion dollar corporation toy tribalism shit lol

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I have PSVR and the PS5 adapter and I just haven't bothered connecting it. If PSVR2 is as impressive as it sounds maybe I'll play it on that. Glad the game reviewed super well.
What device did you post from? Just curious.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Making it a psvr exclusive this late in it's life was a bad move. Wish it would have came to the quest. Hopefully it's playable on the psvr2 because I really enjoyed the first one.
There's not much downside imo. As they got paid up front, and it will sell just fine later on quest. Not sure how long it's exclusive. I'd guess a year?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
And you're basing this assumption on what?
The fact that it is a 6 year old VR headset and even older controllers (2010), how difficult it is to get ahold of the PS5 adapter, the lack of new PSVR games being made, the very low sales of Moss 2, etc.. It's a very outdated VR experience and VR titles aren't selling at all on it anymore. The last big push was Astro Bot / Blood and Truth around 2019ish with a final hurrah with the Ironman bundle in summer 2020. It's basically been dead since and almost impossible to find locally, I guess you can still order it direct from Sony or online from a few retailers still. VR right now is pretty much Quest 2 and nothing else, I guess Valve Index 2 is right around the corner along with PSVR2.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I enjoyed the PSVR, but the truth is it's so far back technologically that it's hard to justify buying more software for it. Especially not 40$ priced games

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
That's me. I literally refused to buy Resident Evil 8 for the same reason since I want to see Sony's full PSVR2 plans before I "settle" for any more VR experiences. And yes, I know RE8 hasn't been announced for VR, but RE7 in VR as my first play through of it was my favorite gaming experience last gen, and I don't mind waiting before I pick up the next one. As for Moss 2, I loved the first one and will wait to see what the BC plans are for all the PS4 titles when PSVR2 releases on the PS5.
I believe in the recent Capcom leak that it all but confirmed that RE8 VR isn't ever happening. You're going to be waiting forever :|

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

PSVR’s latest exclusive looks like it’s had a disappointing release | VGC

PlayStation VR exclusive Moss: Book II may have sold extremely poorly, based on the number of players who own the game on a PSN tracking site.

Not the most accurate, but still - who is genuinely playing PSVR these days, even on PS5?? I'm going to assume that Sony helped to fund this game, or paid for marketing because I don't understand why the developers wouldn't have otherwise prioritised development for the Quest 2
I was.. up until a month ago when my wife got me a Quest 2 for my birthday. I love my PSVR and it still has a way better head strap than any other VR headset I've tried, but yeah I'm definitely ready for some PCVR now, once I get a new graphics card.

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
Count me in as someone who is waiting for PSVR2.

I actually was aware of Moss 2 being out, but I'd rather wait to get the inevitable PSVR2 version. I signed up and received a PSVR PS5 adaptor when they first started offering it before having a PS5 yet, but have yet to ever set PSVR up since getting my PS5, not really wanting to mess around with all the wires and hassle of using the breakthrough box again.

I'm doubtful that PSVR titles will be directly compatible with PSVR2, but I hope that there might be something where PSVR disc or digital owners will be able to download a free upgrade for PSVR2 versions, although different studios' handlings of charging or not charging for PS5 upgrades has me skeptical that this will be the case. It would be a great incentive to move the small existing PSVR base to PSVR2, as well as offer a bigger existing library of games to newcomers to PSVR2, that I feel would be beneficial for Sony and PSVR2 in general, though.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
I got it day 1 but yeah they really didn't push this one that hard marketing wise which was odd to me considering the first game is one of the most beloved PSVR games. I have a feeling that they have something planned for PSVR2 though whether that be an improved version or something else.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They will probably have a much better version at launch for PSVR2 that will sell much better. Doubt anyone is surprised the game sold poorly on a dead platform.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
By that logic an iPhone 13 is next gen comparred to the iPhone 12.
…no it's not. I can't even comprehend what you're saying. VR is accelerating at such a pace that PSVR1 is absolutely ancient compared to even current budget headsets. It doesn't even have any real kind of room scale. Your comparison would be more apt if the iPhone 13 was iPhone 13 level and iPhone 12 was like iPhone 4 level. Believe it or not there are headsets out there that aren't Sony with countless technological improvements made since the advent of PSVR1

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
…no it's not. I can't even comprehend what you're saying. VR is accelerating at such a pace that PSVR1 is absolutely ancient compared to even current budget headsets. It doesn't even have any real kind of room scale. Your comparison would be more apt if the iPhone 13 was iPhone 13 level and iPhone 12 was like iPhone 4 level

You are literally arguing that generations were happening on a yearly basis. Games can't be developed quick enough for that. I would hardly call each incremental improvement in resolution, FOV, and controllers etc a new gen.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
You are literally arguing that generations were happening on a yearly basis. Games can't be developed quick enough for that. I would hardly call each incremental improvement in resolution, FOV, and controllers etc a new gen.
These aren't incremental improvements. Like I said you can't even utilize room scale on PSVR1, an essential and almost ubiquitous VR feature at this point. What are you saying with the games can't be developed quick enough thing? They are lol

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It is really weird timing. I'm holding off on picking it up until we get confirmation that PSVR games will be backward compatible on PSVR2.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Personally I have a boat load of PSVR games I still need to get through. And the "will it/won't it" nature of backwards compatibility for PSVR games on PSVR2 has just made me wait on buying it...I'm sure I will. But I just have no real reason to immediately.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A PSVR exclusive right now when PS5 is in full swing and PSVR2 is right around the corner.

Makers perfect sense that it's struggling. As much as I love Moss, I'll be waiting to play this on PSVR2 (if a PSVR2 version will come out of if the headset is backwards compatible

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For me I'm waiting till PSVR2 (Or another platform?) like most ha.
Not really interested to set up PSVR for anything really.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Damned if you do , damned if you don't. If they were releasing nothing for PSVR the complaint would be about them abandoning it. Awkward timing for sure but we'll get to play it at some point and on a better headset.

I'm sure that some normies are loving it. They don't know about PSVR2, they don't post on resetera and they sure as fuck don't have a PSNProfiles account.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up PSVR about 2 years ago, I was there at it's inception, Love VR, But PSVR is long past it's sell by date so to speak.

Not to mention the transition to PS5 isn't smooth( Need an adapter)

Me personally am just waiting for PSVR2 now. I'm sure many are the same.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't played it yet, but I bought it day one to show some love to the devs. I still need to beat Moss 1.

And while it definitely may have done better as a PSVR2 launch title, I mean, if the game is done, it's done. You gotta release it at some point, and there's not much incentive to delay a finished game, even if the sales of the game don't explode day one. The devs still need to eat, and releasing the game now means they can fully start work on their next project, while generating at least a little revenue from the current release.

They're probably going to do a PSVR2 update to the game when it launches, which may increase sales as people are eager to get software for the new hardware, but I understand why they'd launch it now, and on PSVR1. It has a solid install base, and I'm also sure that their analytics team and production team factored in the install base, the sales of the first game, and it's prospects when planning the game and budget for this one. Some games are slow burns in terms of performing well. Ideally, of course we love it if our games come out the gate swinging, but some genres and formats (ie, VR), are more niche markets, and sales projections are adjusted accordingly.

I don't know how large the Moss team is, but I doubt it's as huge as, say, a Naughty Dog or something. It's possible that whatever deal they inked with Sony was satisfactory enough for them, and their budget was probably manageable, especially if the producers and studio leads managed the project efficiently, and since this isn't their first rodeo with the Moss IP, development on the sequel might have gone smoother than development of the first (especially with the hard work of creating a game engine and gameplay systems is done).

I can't speak to the quality of Moss 2, since I haven't played it yet, but if it's a good game, I really hope it finds its audience. I only played a little of the first one and really enjoyed it, so my expectations for the sequel would be that it's just as enjoyable as the first, ideally moreso

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda fell off PSVR and am now just waiting for PSVR2 :/
But if I have a spare weekend I'll check it out, Moss was great and this one looks good too.

Also ew at using Sacred Symbols as a source.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd let us play without the need for the headset, it looks like a beautiful series but I'm still wary of PSVR

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

That sort of thing is super selective. Usually to do with how much one likes a product. It's easier to boycott something you didn't want in the first place.