• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts?

• Yes

Votes: 372 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 547 55.7%
  • Same quality

Votes: 63 6.4%

• Total voters
Not a chance, Sony actually tried with the PSP. It was a moment. Everyone I knew had one and the gaming experience was phenomiel. Console-like gaming on the go. The Vita had maybe a 1-2 year run and then became a meme and died an insanely fast death. It wasn't a shit handheld just nowhere near the greatness that was the PSP.

Oct 26, 2017
I think people are missing the point. With the PSP, it was a fresh concept but the main issue is sales were driven by how easy it was to pirate the system. With the PS Vita, its main problem was that because it aimed for PS2/3 level console gaming on the go, that meant higher budgets, which ultimately ruined any hope the system had.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You need to be into rather niche Japanese stuff to enjoy Vita's library tbh, so PSP for me.

Dec 31, 2017
PSP was on another level to be quite honest, the whole concept of a handheld at that time with so much power compared to the competition, with mini discs for games and movie capabilities, the hype was unreal, at a level Vita never reached.

I actually paid twice the msrp for the system with Ridge Racer on eBay as I hadn't been able to pre order one from Lik Sang at the time. I was really pissed though when a few weeks after the Japanese release the American release date was announced and was so close that I realized I had paid so much for nothing. Really enjoyed my time with the system though, later got a PSP Go as well. I remember owning quite a few of the UMD movies as well. I was in college at the time and I'd bring it around to play during breaks and it attracted quite a lot of attention before it got released in NA.

On the hardware side Vita is something else for sure, but when considering all around hardware capabilities and hype surrounding the system, PSP is the clear winner.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
PSP was way more advance for its time, and it got way more support from 3rd party. PSP is actually one of the best portables you can own still today. The Vita was ok in terms of specs, but the support was never there from 1st party or 3rd party. The vita 2000 hardware is ok, it feels good in hand, the only negative is the limited expandable storage solutions. The system got a lot of indie support, but other than that, its library is rather limited.

Best of both worlds is a modded Vita 2000, since you can add micro SD storage, so you can play Vita and PSP, and PS1 games.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
No not for me. PSP has more games in more genres. It was absolutely amazing for the time it launched. While specs are not everything and may have in this case actually hindered things, it's something to take into account, that the PSP did more with less.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love my PSP (still have it). I owned a Vita for less than a year (sold it to help pay for a PS4 Pro)

Dec 10, 2020
Warsaw
Vita was (and still is!) a great piece of hardware. What "killed" are bad business decisions - it was marketed as "a big console in your pocket", while there were not many big, AAA titles on it, and those which were present did not reach their "big" counterparts quality and size. But still, I have both and I won't get read of one or another in foreseeable time.

Oct 27, 2017
I vastly prefer the PSV to the PSP. It does everything the PSP does, but better.

I use my PSV regularly. I'm even, at this very moment, setting up an external drive to use with my PSTV, so I can install everything I have for the system without having to worry about space. My PSV is for smaller, quicker games to play on the go; my PSTV is for bigger, longer games that play better with a controller.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
PSP was the GOAT, wish I still had mine tbh.

I clocked over 2000 hours alone in the monster hunter games on the psp, freedom, freedom 2, unite, portable 3rd. Not to mention all the other titles it had.

I sold my Vita after P4G.

Oct 27, 2017
The Vita was a solid machine with great hardware, but it really felt as though the second it didn't immediately set the world on fire, SCEA moved on and were content to sell it as a remote play device. Limited Run Games cared more about it then Sony did, IMO.

The PSP on the other hand, was just in another league altogether. For me it's seriously one of the all-time great Sony consoles.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately no, Vita had the potential to be better, but ended up lacking the support PSP had. Not just with 3rd parties but Sony themselves forgot about the system pretty soon. That said I love me Vita, that PSX+PSP+PSVita+Remote Play combo plus sleep mode/portability/size/screen/ergonomics makes it still one of my most played systems.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Vita. I have a ton of games for it, and there's stuff like portable UMvC3 that I'll never not be impressed with. But... its not better than the PSP and its not even close for me.

There's two things I love in gaming more than anything. Yakuza and Capcom. And the Vita had few Capcom games (at least they were for the most part excellent) and just two Yakuza demo app things. Meanwhile, the PSP had stuff like...

Mega Man and X remakes. Ultimate GnG Kai for my platformer fixes - some of my favourite entries in my favourite series.
Monster Hunter and tons of it.
So many ports of classic Capcom games - arcade classics? Three volumes! (two for arcade classics, one for arcade puzzle classics). An amazing port of SF Zero 3 that has even more content than any previous port, including world tour, a stick on D Pad for better controls, a tag team mode, Ingrid... Darkstalkers was here, Mega Man Legends 1&2 were here, Sengoku Basara side games, Breath of Fire 3, Power Stone etc. I loved the support Capcom gave the PSP.

And likewise, from the Yakuza side of things we got two brand new and exclusive Yakuza spinoff games (the first of which now has a partially translated version leaked on the Internet if you know where to look). And these were full Yakuza experiences - great stories with a brand new cast of awesome characters, full Kamurocho to explore (and Sotenbori in the sequel), tons of mini games including loads of new ones not seen in any other game (lots of new gambling games especially wish they'd some of those into mainline Yakuza), and its own unique take on Yakuza combat that is basically Yakuza X Def Jam Vendetta (trust me, it works incredibly well). Oh, and it ran at 60FPS.

Plus the PSP got loads of other awesome games/ports. Lots of Kenka Bancho, Outrun 2, Afterbuner, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer (granted Vita got RR as well, but its nowhere near as good as PSP RR), tons of DJ Max vs just one DJ Max game, two full GTA 3D games (and Chinatown Wars port), Burnout, Pursuit Force 1&2, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Daxter etc.

Not that the PSP is without issues (screen and controls being the main one) but looking back on it, its probably one of my favourite handhelds ever for the support it got. Vita unfortunately didn't get the same love :( Its a pity as some of the games would have been better on Vita - basically anything needing twin stick control.

Feb 1, 2018
PSP was a cultural force because smartphones werent out yet. There was a demand for slick entertainment devices with wifi. Vita came after smartphones, so nobody cared except weebs

That's really all it boiled down to. Timing. It weirdly has nothing to do with games and more to do with which device was innovative

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Vita. I have a ton of games for it, and there's stuff like portable UMvC3 that I'll never not be impressed with. But... its not better than the PSP and its not even close for me.

There's two things I love in gaming more than anything. Yakuza and Capcom. And the Vita had few Capcom games (at least they were for the most part excellent) and just two Yakuza demo app things. Meanwhile, the PSP had stuff like...

Mega Man and X remakes. Ultimate GnG Kai for my platformer fixes - some of my favourite entries in my favourite series.
Monster Hunter and tons of it.
So many ports of classic Capcom games - arcade classics? Three volumes! (two for arcade classics, one for arcade puzzle classics). An amazing port of SF Zero 3 that has even more content than any previous port, including world tour, a stick on D Pad for better controls, a tag team mode, Ingrid... Darkstalkers was here, Mega Man Legends 1&2 were here, Sengoku Basara side games, Breath of Fire 3, Power Stone etc. I loved the support Capcom gave the PSP.

And likewise, from the Yakuza side of things we got two brand new and exclusive Yakuza spinoff games (the first of which now has a partially translated version leaked on the Internet if you know where to look). And these were full Yakuza experiences - great stories with a brand new cast of awesome characters, full Kamurocho to explore (and Sotenbori in the sequel), tons of mini games including loads of new ones not seen in any other game (lots of new gambling games especially wish they'd some of those into mainline Yakuza), and its own unique take on Yakuza combat that is basically Yakuza X Def Jam Vendetta (trust me, it works incredibly well). Oh, and it ran at 60FPS.

Plus the PSP got loads of other awesome games/ports. Lots of Kenka Bancho, Outrun 2, Afterbuner, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer (granted Vita got RR as well, but its nowhere near as good as PSP RR), tons of DJ Max vs just one DJ Max game, two full GTA 3D games (and Chinatown Wars port), Burnout, Pursuit Force 1&2, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Daxter etc.

Not that the PSP is without issues (screen and controls being the main one) but looking back on it, its probably one of my favourite handhelds ever for the support it got. Vita unfortunately didn't get the same love :( Its a pity as some of the games would have been better on Vita - basically anything needing twin stick control.

Yo that street fighter alpha 3 portable was something

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Never had a PSP but I played a bunch of PSP games on Vita. I also played a bunch of PS1 games on Vita. Who cares if there weren't that many native games?
... But also the Vita was worth it just for Tearaway.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
What? No. The two systems were not even remotely close in terms of software quality. The PSP succeeded and the Vita flopped for a reason.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I use it mostly as a VN machine and I've played it much more than I ever played the PSP. That's a "yes" from me.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
If you only count native games, no it is not even in the same galaxy really. PSP's library is seriously up there with some of the best consoles of all time. Vita's library is super weak overall and almost all of its most notable games play better elsewhere.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I still play my PsVita almost everyday and that's more than i played my PSP ever. The homebrew scene helped to make me love it, tbh.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
PSP is my preferred way to play PSP games and I love the console but overall it was a failure and a string of idiotic decisions to nip its potential in the bud by Sony. Sony wrote it off after year one pretty much. It was also a combination of bad timing for dedicated handhelds and I think capcom jumping the ship with Monster Hunter was a huge decising factor.

The fact I can play MGS and Wipeout handheld is why I'm keeping it with me at all times.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Vita at a hardware level, yes. It was almost perfect. It only lacked 2 additional triggers and clickable analog sticks, and like psp, a optional TV out.
In fact the other day i played a bit and it is the most perfect portable, only Switch lite comes close.

I wonder how much of the Vita's problems with software were related to ps3 trouble that obligated Sony to shift resources to the home console.

Both were ahead of their time, but lack of certain input methods, like second analog on psp hampered their possibilities: both have remote play (today seems a popular thing, and somehow WiiU second screen could be inspired on psp remote play), but not being able to mimic home console controls was a big issue.

Last edited:

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
PSP was the epitome of what "ahead of its time" refers to in the field of tech.

The Vita wasn't quite as shocking to hold and use, but still featured an OLED (cannot understate how wild this was at the time), a smooth touch screen, and the most premium build quality ever conceived in a dedicated handled gaming device.

In software terms, I think the Vita is undoubtedly the winner from a practical viewpoint. Even without hacking the device, you still have access to a wealth of the PSP library, with superior controls.

Jan 31, 2018
Not even remotely close, personally. The Vita might be the most comfortable and best designed handheld to date but it's library is dismal compared to the PSP, at least in terms of original titles.

What I wouldn't give for a Vita like console but with the library of the Switch.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Nah. It just lacked too many franchises. PSP truly was a portable PlayStation, it had a new entry from basically every franchise you would expect. Metal Gear, Ace Combat, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, WipEout, Dragon Ball, Tenchu, even Shinobido! The Vita had a few of those but a ton of them were just ports of old games, and other franchises were straight up missing or had really bad games (Dragon Ball).

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Same as many others. I liked the hardware itself, but the Vita is the system I had the least amount of games for by a pretty large margin. The PSP may have been rougher as a machine, but I played so much on there, and it even was my introduction to a substantial amount of PS1 games. Then there was Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which eclipses all of my time on the Vita by itself. I'm afraid there's no comparison for me.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a PSP but I played a bunch of PSP games on Vita. I also played a bunch of PS1 games on Vita. Who cares if there weren't that many native games?
For people that would want portability over many other things, that would make sense. But personally, that wasn't enough. It was great to see that a lot of indies made it to the Vita, but for me, it usually meant a more limited (yet more expensive) version of a game that I had already loved and played elsewhere. Some ports of console games that I received for free via PS Plus had significant performance issues or didn't have parity (naturally) that made me rather play it somewhere else.

The kind of "ports" I loved were expanded ones (while not quite being a strict "remaster") that added at least something a bit extra and really felt adapted to the system. The expanded version of Muramasa, for example, is an absolute gem. Same went for Persona 4 Golden.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously surpassed it in terms of tech but its library was faaar behind. It didn't even have backwards compatibility with some of the more noteworthy PSP exclusives (Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep immediately come to mind)

I really wish more third parties developed exclusives for it, especially Japanese devs, but I understand why the passion wasn't there like it was before. I really do wonder how much of an effect MonHun jumping ship had on that side of things.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
PSP has a better library with much bigger support from the bigger publishers/developers.

Looking at the whole picture and what each device brought to the table, there is simply no comparison.

PSP was revolutionary for it 's time. It was a huge jump in terms of hardware and capabilities.

Almost a 2 generational jump from the gba.
Huge 16:9 screen (for the time), in great design that holds up to this day.
Near perfect, partial hardware ps1 emulation and pretty good for most other 2d systems.
Mp4/mp3,support, wifi-enabled so you can download games, updates, podasts etc

Mundane features now that your toaster has them but back in 2005, 2 whole years before iphone 1, it was crazy. It took years before something else could dethrone it as a gaming/multimedia device.

Vita was more of an incremental update with some awesome additions like the second stick and the oled screen but by 2012 and with smartphones booming, could never reach the same heights.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
No way lol, and this is coming from someone who basically only got a PSP for Daxter and Dissidia.
Not having a full set of Dualshock control buttons killed it as what could've been a perfect BC/remote play device, it got hardly any interesting games for me that didn't eventually get ported to PS4, and the screen was of great quality but everything I played on it looked awful, so that felt like a waste, too. Even stuff like Muramasa looks like crap on it.

The best time I had with it was the fact it could play Klonoa at 60Hz, whereas the PS3 randomly forced it to play at 50Hz for whatever bizarre reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love the PS Vita and I'll sing its praises til the cows come home, but games wise PSP probably has my favorite gaming library ever so no. The Japanese and Western support for that handheld was unparalleled it got nearly everything not to mention of a ton of Sony first party games with their nearly all of their big IPs represented mixed with an abundance of experimental stuff. All this not even including the sheer amount of great Japanese games that never made it overseas, they were killing it on that little handheld. I could gush about PSP's games all day. If Sony had similarly threw their weight at the Vita, it could have been in the conversation and I say that as someone who owns a ton of Vita games but alas.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
For look and quality of hardware, Vita was definitely better. But in terms of library, nowhere close - the PSP library is great in terms of quality and range.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The PSP's own library was better, but I prefer the Vita hardware and there's a ton of PSP games that run on the Vita. While the Vita didn't exactly have masses of exclusive great games to me, that you can play PSOne, PSP, Vita and a stack of indie titles on it still makes it a better handheld to me, and probably my favourite handheld hardware yet.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
PSP had everything. 2 GTA, 2 MGS, 3 MH , Crisis Core, 2 Dissidia, Type 0, Turd Birthday, 2 Valkyria Chronicles, Resistance, 2 syphon filters and many more.

All Vita got are ports, remasters or other platforms also have those games at the same time.

The amount 'AAA' games designed for Vita is absolute dogshit.

Oct 27, 2017
In software terms, I think the Vita is undoubtedly the winner from a practical viewpoint. Even without hacking the device, you still have access to a wealth of the PSP library, with superior controls.

How much does this statement hold true in 2021? I'm thinking specifically in terms of picking up a Vita, being able to access PSN, and still buy digital PSP games. Is that still possible? I was under the impression a lot of that stuff had been yanked offline - perhaps wrongly.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much does this statement hold true in 2021? I'm thinking specifically in terms of picking up a Vita, being able to access PSN, and still buy digital PSP games. Is that still possible? I was under the impression a lot of that stuff had been yanked offline - perhaps wrongly.
They are still up.

It is just the web store on your browser doesn't have them.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vita was a PSP and then some. Definitely in the top 3 best handhelds ever. It was awesome as a Sony legacy platform. PS1 games, PSP, PsV, Indies.

The Vita was too good for this cold, broken world.
Rest in Power, King. Gone but not forgotten.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool - off to ebay I go then!

How is the availability of PSP games via the Vita store? The "will it, won't it" nature of PS3 games being on PSN or not was always annoying. I assume PSP games are similarly split in terms of being digitally available or not.
Most of the non licensed games are on it. Not everything mind you but a lot of them.

If you want to be sure there are games you want to play check this:

This is the European store but you can log in and it will show the ones in your region. (The classic store that has the games on the web can still be found but isn't easy to find so save the link for future reference if you want).

I also recommend looking into the homebrew scene as it would make the Vita shine but that is up to you.