• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts?

• Yes

Votes: 372 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 547 55.7%
  • Same quality

Votes: 63 6.4%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the PSP. Had a solid library and having a portable Playstation felt so convenient.

However I don't recollect the same love for the VITA.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It depends on what you wanted from a follow-up. I feel like the Vita's library was (is!) very good, but it doesn't quite have the sheer variety that the PSP had.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The Vita played everything the PSP could and more (technically, since it could only play digital releases) which in my eyes makes it a better system than the PSP

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
not in terms of library - the PSP is legitimately incredible from that perspective. Given vita is BC, i would say it's the best console but if we're just straight comparing the consoles libraries, there's no way.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The vita was incredible and, at least in Japan, had every non AAA japanese game you could want, even Catherine Fullbody.

The OLED screen was incredible at the time and it's still a really good vn machine, second only to the Switch. If you liked certain games/genres it is still really good.

The only thing that I hated deeply were the memory cards. Fuck Sony for that.

Nov 1, 2017
I love my Vita (even bought a 64 gig memory card for it) but it didn't strike me as much as the PSP. I do prefer the feel of the Vita in my hands though, for a long time my Vita was getting daily use as a PSP/PSX machine. Too bad Sony is trying to distance itself from that library as much as they can.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Vita was good but it could have been so much more. All it needed was proper L2/R2 triggers, remove the back touchpad and move to affordable storage.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
In tech yeah (ignoring the wretched continuation of memory card madness)

But Library... eeeh not really. Most of the games I played on the vita weren't vita games.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

Better handheld, second analog stick, better screen.

But less support.

If Vita had the same support as PSP it would've been great. GTA with a proper dual stick, Ape Escape, Mega Man, etc.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

There were far more original titles on PSP still worth playing today, while the Vita's library shined most in providing portable versions of games that already existed on consoles, albeit with pared-down graphics and longer load times.

Having access to PS1, PSP, and Vita titles still makes the Vita amazing, though!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No lol. Vita died off early and couldn't touch PSP's library. It's not even close really.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I have multiple vitas and really like it but PSP was THE handheld. It was the device which showed what smartphones can be to me. Great games, good media device and much better supported than Vita. Vita was the better hardware but all Sony tried to do with is to make console quality games on it without understanding what works on a handheld.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Vita is still a great system to own to this day. Playing PS1 games on that OLED is still the best way to revisit these games IMO.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The PSP's RPG library was incredible and the Vita couldn't even hope to match it. But I mean, the Vita can just play all of it anyway so it kind of just wins anyway?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware upgrade to the Vita was fantastic especially if you compare the 1000 models. Software was almost even for me personally thanks to that short surge of indie games the Vita had compared to the PSP and there were some great Japanese games on it too admittedly in lower quantities. I don't think I purchased a single western non-indie game outside of Tearaway though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the only good thing about the vita is playing psp games so no

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never had a PSP so Vita was my first foray into Sony handhelds. And oh boy, was that a trip! It wiped the floor with 3DS, both in regards to games and hardware. Hands down still my most favourite handheld system to day, closely followed by the Switch.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of hardware, yes. Probably the best handled hardware ever.

In terms of software, lol.

Hell nah. I loved my vita tho but that psp library plus homebrew was insane. Once the memory stick prices decreased and you could easily rip isos directly from the damn thing itself instead of fooling around with discs, it was over. Greatest handheld of all time.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
First gen Vita with that beautiful screen, absolutely one of Sony's finest gaming products, plus it plays PSP, Vita, and PS1 games. And it's highly hackable. I have a white one I adore.

I get it's a failure, but as an individual product (one that unlike the switch [which I love] can play Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Persona 3 and 4, plus the two Suikoden games, - and that without hacking!) is a beautiful, useful machine.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In regards to its native games? Hell no.

In regards to hardware though... Definitely! I mean, it's got a vastly superior build quality. It's screen is beautiful. It's controls are better. And it plays all the PSP games anyway...like at this point if you wanted a PSP I'd suggest buying an original vita and hacking that thing wide open.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
purely from the hardware perspective vita was so much more comfortable to play then the psp.

shame that it flopped so hard. the system got barely any good exclusive games to speak of.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda?

It delivered on the hardware and had some really amazing games. With that said, the genre variety wasn't as good as the PSP. We never got GTA or many AAA games on it.

At the end of the day, the psp library and the PS1 games being on it was good. So were all the indies on it.

The Vita truely shines when you hack it. That's when it becomes magical.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of library, no, even though the Vita has a great one. There was just an absurd amount of Japanese devs showering the PSP with games. As with the PS1 and PS2, there is soooooooooo much good unlocalised stuff.

In term of hardware, absolutely. The Vita is still by far the best handheld ever made.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Sort of. The Vita was amazing and it could play all of the PSP stuff anyway. But the PSP Go is IMO the best portable system. It's perfect size for a pocket.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
From a hardware perspective absolutely. Plus it could play my digital PSP games. I am not sure it ever came close to getting the same support as the PSP.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It did hardware wise of course but not game variety wise. Love vita to death but psp had a lot more to offer no matter your tastes

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
As a piece of hardware yes. Library-wise? No.

Vita had a good library if you were into JP games, but it didn't have the quite frankly ABSURD library that the PSP had.

PS3 development struggles meant all those developers turned to handhelds that gen, and it shows. Phantasy Star, FF, Metal Gear, Yakuza, Monster Hunter, and the list of huge and small games goes on and on.

I'm STILL playing PSP games from my backlog on my Vita.

And then there's the other thing both systems got right, at least in Japan: the PSX classics. JP side had hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of almost everything you could've ever wanted and then some.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
No, specifically because of software and nothing else to me. PSP was as good as PS1 to me (just not as crazy as PS2), it had such a huge library to explore, the literal only downside of that system to me was the single stick.

Sure Vita fixed that, but Sony aimed it way too high and nobody wanted to budget so high for niche portable games. They also called it a stupid name and fractured their well known product line to the masses. It's such a shame.

I don't blame the memory cards at all, PSP had the same expensive proprietary shit with Memory Stick Pro Duo. They'd just grab a 4-8GB card and rotate games.
Having SD cards would've made the "owning experience" easier, but not a deal breaker of buying one, if the thing had a nice library of games to coax people in.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The PSP got two original GTA games and a whole host of other cool stuff. Patapon/LocoRoco/Tacics Ogre LUCT/Two original WipeOut games.

Vita had some good stuff but not enough to match the PSP library.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
PSP probably had a better library/support on paper, but I could never really get into the idea of playing lesser versions of console games on a handheld, and that analog nub was awful. The Vita had much better indie and crossbuy support for my preference.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSP had more original content but I found it uncomfortable to use. I didn't properly enjoy its content until the Vita because of that.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Pretty much in the same boat as most others. If we're talking about the hardware, yeah, I mean the Vita was quite the incredibly built machine. As far as everything else, nah. PSP had a pretty amazing library. Vita really only overtook PSP in the mass amount of indies that came to it throughout its lifespan.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No. PSP was legit one of my favorite handhelds of all time, probably second only to the GBA. The Vita was good for how short lived it was, but it never got to the PSP's level.