• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
so I've been going through god of war 1-3 this week and decided to use psnow for ease of use.

Holy shit it is a lot better than when it launched. Input latency is barely noticeable when you are in the middle of combat, it hardly ever stutters or looses signal, and the ability to play literally anywhere I have access to a computer is just amazing to me.

I can see 2 console generations later everything being streaming. All we need is faster internet.

Video quality is decent enough when I'm sitting back on my couch looking at my 55 inch tv that it looks native. Gow 1-2 stream at 720 while 3 streams 1080p so It seems that ps3 games stream only at 720 while ps4 games go full 1080p.

Basically psnow is not shit anymore.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's better, but PS Now feels worse than ever just because it seems like the reason Sony has no motivation to do Xbox-style backward compatibility.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's far too expensive (£12.99 a month in the U.K.) and the game selection is pretty meh. I'm a fan of the technology but I'm still not even close to subbing.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The future is streaming as a reasonable option for people to use and will eventually be the mainstream way to play games.
I have no doubt that Sony will have a "relaunch" of PSNow with the next generation of consoles and have a competitor to Game Pass.

I'm glad to see that it's much better with input latency. It can only get better. :)

Feb 11, 2018
The latency alway feels noticeable for me. I gave up on it for now. Native BC is the way to go. Sony really needs to get their emulating solution ready for PS5.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I used the free trial recently and I agree. The whole UI, usability, connecting speed etc could be improved but the games ran perfectly for me.
Yes, there was a little input lag, which is to be expected, but after playing a few minutes, I forgot about it.
Of course some games or genres are more likely to be negatively impacted by the lag, but even shooters ran fine for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The service in terms of how it works is leagues better now than when it launched. The main problem I have is the game selection is still not overall great and the price is still a little too high. I'm perfectly fine with it being their solution to BC though if they tweak those few things.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I use it on my pc. the image quality is blurry as heck but ive played a couple of game. The last of us is either a bad game to me or it just feels stiff and unplayable because of it being streamed.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
so I've been going through god of war 1-3 this week and decided to use psnow for ease of use.

Holy shit it is a lot better than when it launched. Input latency is barely noticeable when you are in the middle of combat, it hardly ever stutters or looses signal, and the ability to play literally anywhere I have access to a computer is just amazing to me.

I can see 2 console generations later everything being streaming. All we need is faster internet.

Video quality is decent enough when I'm sitting back on my couch looking at my 55 inch tv that it looks native. Gow 1-2 stream at 720 while 3 streams 1080p so It seems that ps3 games stream only at 720 while ps4 games go full 1080p.

Basically psnow is not shit anymore.
I hope so. That way i can play my games on any screen, small or big.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's better, but PS Now feels worse than ever just because it seems like the reason Sony has no motivation to do Xbox-style backward compatibility.
PS3 backwards compatibility is impossible. The ps3 used cell processors and the ps4 is based on x86 architecture. The two are not compatible.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was impressed when I tried it. RDR sucked, but that was just because the PS3 version is shit already, otherwise I was amazed at how well it worked.

I'm all for streaming when tech improves. As someone who doesn't replay games things like PS Now, Xbox Gamepass etc. are a future I can defintely get behind. Saves me the hassle of buying physically and selling after beating to keep costs down, trips to Redbox for short games etc.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I was always into PSNow, but I lived in the country and had bad internet. That didn't stop me from completing Ni no Kuni on there though. I might just sub again to finish some PS3 games I missed.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot deal with any extra input lag. Tvs already introduce some, and the last thing I want is the game adding more.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a really cool idea, but poorly executed back when I had a launch PS4. Awesome selection and a cool way to quick try out a game, but the visuals were pretty bad - I couldn't justify an entire play through.

Very unexpectedly fell into possibly buying a PS4 Pro that a friend is selling for cheap, so really glad to hear this. Hope I can get another free trial.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Personally I don't have any issue with that, 100Mbps per month cost like $15 to $20 in Taiwan and 1Gbps (1000Mbps) cost no more than $67.

but for people that live in a 3rd world country (or a first world country with 3rd world country internet such as the USA) that would really suck

Last edited:

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I have been trying PS Now on a trial for the first time. I have been playing Fallout 3 (the lack of DLC is annoying) and I haven't encountered a single issue after 5 or 6 hours of gameplay.

I did notice that it had a lot of God of War games, same with Ratchet and Clank

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I use it on my pc. the image quality is blurry as heck but ive played a couple of game. The last of us is either a bad game to me or it just feels stiff and unplayable because of it being streamed.

Ps3 games stream at 720p so you need to be on a 1080p display for it to look decent. On my 1440p monitor it looked like ass. Also playing on a tv a decent ways back helps a lot. Ps4 games have no issue however.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it is about this service, but I just can't get behind it. I feel like it's pretty expensive, I would want PS2 game to be on there, and the whole streaming aspect to me just cheapens it for some reason.

Honestly, i would at least dive in and try it if it had a good selection of PS2 games. That's a massive drawback for me. I'd like for Sony to treat the PS4 the way MS is treating Xbox One, and try to allow me to play the whole library on one console.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I used my PS Now free trial to play GoW3:R and I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever.

£12.99 is still too much for the selection of games but I can't fault the actual streaming itself.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Gamepass and Sony removing PSNow from anything that isn't a PC or a PS4, it's pretty terrible value.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
How is your internet connection OP?

I tried PSNow a year ago with RDR and it was kinda bad. I got like 90MB download & 15MB upload.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's expensive, and it's very internet-connection dependent. I know a lot of people who live in a remote-enough place that the latency/internet speeds just aren't good enough for it to be a go-to option.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

I tried PSNow a year ago with RDR and it was kinda bad. I got like 90MB download & 15MB upload.
100 down 20 up. RDR was bad on ps3 to begin with so that's probably the issue.

Also use wired if it all possible. Wireless isn't as reliable. Maybe on a pro with ac wireless it would be fine but not on a stock ps4

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Hope this isnt a near Future, for that to arrive outside Europe and NA It Will take a long time without playing sony games in latin America and probably other places.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I tried the free trial recently and was hugely impressed with it. I had heard awful things about the input latency and buffering problems but I didn't experience anything like that.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The PS3 port of RDR was terrible, so that's most of the issue there. I tried it as well and thought it was PS Now unti I tried some other games an then googled and found out the PS3 version of RDR was just a terrible port.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
PS3 backwards compatibility is impossible. The ps3 used cell processors and the ps4 is based on x86 architecture. The two are not compatible.

That's a lie. You can emulate anything it's more about the cost to create such emulation and that the CPU in the ps4 would struggle greatly. They would have to use gpu compute.

But really why pay to make emulation when you can charge for psnow?

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yup so is remote play. 90%+ of my ps4 playtime has been through my vita.

I'd pay 300$+ for a vita 2 that is just a better screen/better shoulders/clickable sticks that didn't even play native vita games.

I bought a 2nd switch and have it sealed with original firmware in the hopes I can hack remote play via ps4 or pc onto it one day.

Problem for both remote play and PsNow is that broadband in the U.S. is a joke, it's only good for me because I pay 500$+ a month for business level speed/uptime.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for Sony to revamp the service and add every title, new or old. And I mean new releases. That's something I would pay $100 a year for.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't agree. I have a great connection and yet games kept getting the disconnect icon. In a game like Lumines, even slight delays kill any enjoyment, and PSnow is full of freezes/delays.

Oct 26, 2017
PS Now is awesome. Started God of War (OG) again on it too, it works well. Delighted as I miss my PS3 after gifting it to my brother. It will stop me impulse buying other games (I hope). Maybe when I finish all God of War games on it, I'll get the new one on sale. I can't wait to see more games join the service.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only owns a Playstation 4 and Gaming PC, I am quite jealous of the XBX scaling of Red Dead.... I wish Sony would get something comparable.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
It was always very good for me personally.

Maybe it's about my location and internet provider but in my case, since the start of PS NOW, I never had major issues streaming the games. They run really smoothly and nicely.

It's a great service with the right conditions. I enjoy it very much.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Streaming gamed is a cool idea for games that are too grapohically demanding for, say, a low power laptop or television to run on its own, but for old PS1 to PS3 games that can easily run on a high powered laptop or any PS4, I'd rather subscribe to a service that let's me download and run the games with no lag at all.

I don't have an Xbox One yet, and I was never planning on getting one, but as someone with a huge library of Xbox and 360 games, the One X's BC, 4k upgrades, and Game Pass allowing for full game downloads rather than streaming has me very interested in picking up a One X this Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.