• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They could easily turn that around with a good marketing campaign, yet somehow they just.... Don't.
I guess Sony simply does not want to play the streaming game, as selling games for 80€ each generates more money in the short term.
streaming is a massive loss leader. Netflix was not profitable for over a decade. and even now their profits are pointing to them doing another price hike soon. This is why i dont like any of these streaming options long term. I can still buy used games for cheap if i want, own them and i dont get screwed if a game leaves the service.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, PS Now is actually really good, and well worth the price of admission (which is surprisingly reasonable!)

Definitely give it a try if you haven't already.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Before PS4 games were on the service, PS Now was available on TVs, PS3, PS Vita, and PS Vita TV. Once they launched PS4 games, they cut it down to just PS4 and PC. I assume they either didn't want to cannibalize PS4 sales or didn't want o deal with the headache of people using third-party controllers for PS4 games.
No it had more to do with those platforms reaching their end of life cycle. Samsung Tizen OS which is on 5.0 now and Android TV which is on 11 now where not robust platforms as they are now for developers. They dropped the service for even their own older platforms as well and the service has improved for it since they focused on PC and PS4. Now with how much better mobile platforms are, they will expand like they wanted to from the start.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
i think there are a few exceptions but for 99% of games yes - you don't need PS+ to play them online via PS Now
You can also play them coop. Me and my missus did that with one PS Now account. My console, my PS Now. She logged on her second account(which has no plus or now) and started up Red Dead Redemption via Now and I stream it on my laptop. Lets both of us play at the same time with each other.

We only tested with streaming games but pretty much made any online game payable together locally with 1 sub.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use this or GamePass. From my understanding the main difference is that GP gets 1st party titles day 1 while PSNow does not?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
PS Now feels like something they maintain so if they really feel like they need to switch gears they have the infrastructure in place to do so. If at some point they decide they are getting their lunch eaten by Gamepass then they can pretty much instantly pull a switch to put all first party titles on the service day one and roll out with a campaign advertising 800+ titles on the service within the week.

But they probably won't do it until they feel some sort of financial pinch.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an excellent service. It doesn't get all the newest games like Gamepass but its had some good stuff on there like Tomb Raider , God of War and even Control.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
50??? That's like saying Netflix only has 40 action movies because you went through the row/blade of movies and then it went back to the beginning.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, PSNow has an impressively large number of games. But it's always had a lot of games. Sometimes I think the people who downplay PSNow haven't actually done any research into the service or what it has available. There's some great stuff there, and the thing that impresses me the most is how playable the games are, and how clean they look. My biggest concerns with PSNow was if there would be if latency was going to be a problem, and if digital artifacts were going to be a problem. So far, with my experience with the service, I haven't run across it. I want to say maybe once or twice there was a slight moment of artifacting, but other than that, it looks great. I haven't tried any PS4 games yet, though. Mostly just PS3 titles I wanted to revisit.

My hope is that they work PS1 and PS2 streaming into the service, since it's clear we aren't going to get any backwards compatibility with those consoles on PS5. I imagine the service would grow substantially if they offered that.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I don't understand how it's been this long and people are still confused or surprised about PSNow and what it offers.

Is Sony doing a bad job of advertising and explaining this service properly?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't understand how it's been this long and people are still confused or surprised about PSNow and what it offers.

PS Now advertising is basically non-existent. It really says a lot that after all this time tons of people still think it's solely a streaming service even though you've been able to download PS4 games on PS4 for 2 years now.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they don't advertise this service non stop everywhere blows my mind. It doesn't have the latest games, but it's a legit Game Pass competitor for having an instant collection with the games that are enabled to download instead of only streaming. I don't have a PS4, and I'm aware of how it works because of the news that would occasionally pop up here. They should get their shit together in pushing this thing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
PS Now advertising is basically non-existent. It really says a lot that after all this time tons of people still think it's solely a streaming service even though you've been able to download PS4 games on PS4 for 2 years now.

The extent of PS Now marketing that I see are targeted Facebook ads that show me 'added this month!' except it's the additions from like three months ago. They were still showing me Spider-Man on a Facebook ad right up until the month it was leaving the service.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
No it had more to do with those platforms reaching their end of life cycle. Samsung Tizen OS which is on 5.0 now and Android TV which is on 11 now where not robust platforms as they are now for developers. They dropped the service for even their own older platforms as well and the service has improved for it since they focused on PC and PS4. Now with how much better mobile platforms are, they will expand like they wanted to from the start.
Did not know that. Thanks for the clarification!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's part of the problem, but you can tell there's a clear difference in appeal between Game Pass and PlayStation Now when Jim Ryan says that they're not doing the Game Pass thing. Even he knows that PlayStation Now can't compete with Game Pass, because Game Pass is all about making people feel included from day one with a simple subscription, while Sony clearly treats its own loyal customers as second-class citizens by not giving them access to their new first-party games as readily as Microsoft does on Game Pass.

I admit to not being very familiar with PlayStation Now, but I really don't recall too many game trailers announcing a launch date for a game and stating that the game is coming to PlayStation Now. Maybe those exist, but you see it a LOT with new Xbox games, and it's a really strong statement to end a trailer with. For people on Game Pass, you've basically made them feel as though they already own the game (even though they don't) upon release, because they'll be able to play it at the same time as everyone else with their subscription.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
That's part of the problem, but you can tell there's a clear difference in appeal between Game Pass and PlayStation Now when Jim Ryan says that they're not doing the Game Pass thing. Even he knows that PlayStation Now can't compete with Game Pass, because Game Pass is all about making people feel included from day one with a simple subscription, while Sony clearly treats its own loyal customers as second-class citizens by not giving them access to their new first-party games as readily as Microsoft does on Game Pass.

I admit to not being very familiar with PlayStation Now, but I really don't recall too many game trailers announcing a launch date for a game and stating that the game is coming to PlayStation Now. Maybe those exist, but you see it a LOT with new Xbox games, and it's a really strong statement to end a trailer with. For people on Game Pass, you've basically made them feel as though they already own the game (even though they don't) upon release, because they'll be able to play it at the same time as everyone else with their subscription.
Honestly I think its more they don't want to compete with GamePass than they can't. I mean...the answer is as simple as everyone has stated thousands of times. PS Now would have a ton of subs if they started putting first party day one. I would argue it would eclipse GamePass in a matter of months quite honestly.

But Sony doesn't want to compete in that field where MS is clearly burning money. Maybe it works out awesome for MS and in 5 or so years it turns into a profit machine, but it seems Sony decided thats not a gamble they want to take. But that switch could be flipped if it turns out MS was right. Let them test that market seems yo be Sony's strategy as they don't think it'll work out.

I honestly don't know what market PS Now is aimed at. Is it the BC crowd? Is it the casual market? Its clearly not the Era crowd. So who knows what their plans are.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
I really hope Sony push PlayStation Now more in the PS5 Generation. Almost 400 PS4 games you can download is a huge number, the downside is that only 40 of those games originally released in 2018-2020. So it's a great for a chunk of niche older titles from 2017 and prior, lot's of decent titles in there, but beyond that not much. Gamepass has them beat by a large mile on "newer" releases, even if you discount the games arriving Day 1 onto the service.

Also everyone should be using https://psnowguide.com/platform/ps4/ to see games on the service. SUCH a good site.

Batsy

Oct 16, 2018
If sony would just bundle it with PS+ and change nothing else they would have the best deal in gaming. Of course they could make it better to match gamepass by adding more day 1 exclusives and making every game downloadable but they really don't have to. Simply adding it as a feature included when you buy ps+ would be the easiest and smartest move they can make with gamepass starting to take over when it comes to being the best deal in gaming.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I started PSNow on January and at the time I was amazed with the amount of games, but since then it feels like they only add 5 games or so per month and it feels kinda underwhelming.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I started PSNow on January and at the time I was amazed with the amount of games, but since then it feels like they only add 5 games or so per month and it feels kinda underwhelming.
I think they want the service to be complimentary. I guess it does make sense for them to make it just a tier of PS+ vs just separated and rename it to the PSCloud or something

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017

Yes Sony has been sleeping on it for whatever reason. I consider myself a gaming enthusiast and own and play games on all 4 platforms yet I was unaware of what PSnow is today. Last time I checked PS Now, it was streaming only with a very limited catalog. I didn't realize that now you can download and play games locally and that the list of games has been expanded that much. It's like Sony has this service, but doesn't really want people to use it. Weird!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Tbh I'll never be interested in the service until they start putting newly released games on it. I tend to keep up to date with games, beat them within the first week they come out ect, so all the old titles don't really interest me.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently replaying MGS4 and trophies are popping up, which reminded me I played this game to death pre-Trophy rollout. The PS2 selection is garbage, though. They can really improve upon that.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a couple years worth on sale and there are a ton of games.

I would use it more if it had a phone app. The streaming quality is too low for me to want to play on a large screen. The downloadable games are great though, if you don't mind playing older titles.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
People critique the older-leaning PSNow library, but I love it. Some of those PS3 games are hard to find these days and I don't really want to hook up my PS3 as it's kind of on its last legs. I wish it had even more PS3 games, stuff like El Shaddai, Prince of Persia, Driver San Francisco, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Folklore, so many more.

Huh, I just noticed Majin is on there now, I should boot that up.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently replaying MGS4 and trophies are popping up, which reminded me I played this game to death pre-Trophy rollout.

It's so cool that they added trophies into MGS4 at some point.

It always killed me that they didn't ever do it for Heavenly Sword!

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they just have one large list of the games? Is there anyway to just list games by platform (i.e. show only PS4 games)?