• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
blog.us.playstation.com

UPDATE: Preserving Internet Access for the Entire Community

Playing videogames enables players all over the world to connect with friends and family and enjoy much needed entertainment during these uncertain times. Sony Interactive Entertainment is working with internet service providers in Europe to manage download traffic to help preserve access for...

UPDATE: Beginning today, we will take similar measures in the United States, and we will continue to take appropriate action to do our part to help ensure internet stability as this unprecedented situation continues to evolve. We are grateful for the role we play in helping deliver a sense of community and entertainment in these very trying times. Thank you again for your support, your patience, and for being part of the PlayStation community. Please stay home and stay safe.

This was inevitable, thankfully you can pre-load 2 days before RE3/FF7R.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I didn't know they could make the download speeds slower.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
...I did not know about that. How much is max now? I was gonna get FF7R digitally here in EU.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Hope they have a pre-load for ff7R. With physical version being at risk, might have to go that route.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Really hope that for those that already have shockingly slow PSN speeds do not suffer even further degradation. Luckily I don't see MS significantly lowering their speeds for Xbox considering that most of their systems are tied to essential services/work from home

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
hmmm, I finally get google fiber and am seeing 400-500mb down speeds for psn and now this.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really hope that for those that already have shockingly slow PSN speeds do not suffer even further degradation. Luckily I don't see MS significantly lowering their speeds for Xbox considering that most of their systems are tied to essential services/work from home

Well they already do that for some of their services in IT business.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this effects people that already have super slow downloads on PSN. Downloading a game already takes me over a day on PS4.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Given ISPs have their own tools to manage bandwidth for their customer base (as they have done with throttling services like Netflix and torrents in the past) is there really any need for PSN to reduce its speeds?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Microsoft is already starting to reduce non-essential services as their servers are being hammered right now.

www.theverge.com

Microsoft tweaks Xbox and Teams services during surge in cloud demand

Teams will see tweaks to video resolution and more

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given ISPs have their own tools to manage bandwidth for their customer base (as they have done with throttling services like Netflix and torrents in the past) is there really any need for PSN to reduce its speeds?
Most likely their CDN either asked or are forcing it on them. Akamai being one of them.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there was really a speed reduction in US PS Store, but Persona 5 Royal's 38GB still took less than one hour to download yesterday.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the preloads still go up a day or two early, I should be ok. RE3 and FF7 can go as slow as they want, as long as they are ready the moment that timer expires

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 350M cable connection but I normally get 3-5Mb/sec in Europe wired (30Mb/sec on Xbox One X). After this whole Covid case my download speeds have actually increased slightly on PS4 Pro, so don't be too alarmed about it, it might even get better for you.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is mainly PR anyway. Sony does not have anywhere near the capacity to handle downloads on its own, they use CDN providers to handle the downloads and pay for the traffic. So in the end they are paying less and thus bandwidth will be reduced at Akamai et al.