• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Definitely want to pick up Demon's Souls, but still need to beat Returnal. Just beat Ratchet and Clank a couple days ago, and I'm gonna wait on Sackboy to be a free PSN game in like December or something rather than dropping 40 for it. Already beat Miles and that's well worth its money.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I totally missed this. I just bought Returnal yesterday for a painful $100 CAD just so I had something to new with my PS5, and opened it before I realized it was on sale. Ah well.

They didn't have the Last of US II in stock at the store yesterday, so I rebought Demon's Souls here. Excited to have that game back. Lots to catch up on.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Buy Returnal. Don't worry about the save thing. I used rest mode throughout my time with it and the only time I lost progress was when my power went out. But regardless, after playing for a while you'll realize how quickly you get back to where you were upon death anyway and getting a good "roll" on items/maps isn't as big of a deal as you thought when starting out. Plus the game is straight up fun to play at a level that very few modern games come close to. I've got the platinum in it and am playing through Rift Apart, but am finding myself wanting to get through it just to play more Returnal.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Buy Returnal. Don't worry about the save thing. I used rest mode throughout my time with it and the only time I lost progress was when my power went out. But regardless, after playing for a while you'll realize how quickly you get back to where you were upon death anyway and getting a good "roll" on items/maps isn't as big of a deal as you thought when starting out. Plus the game is straight up fun to play at a level that very few modern games come close to. I've got the platinum in it and am playing through Rift Apart, but am finding myself wanting to get through it just to play more Returnal.

Going to play devils advocate and say try Returnal before buying, if possible in your area.

Enjoyed it, only halfway through the levels (maybe?), with around 40 hrs.

It's too frustrating to go back and finish it.

Ironically I gave up to take a run at Dark Souls and Bloodborne instead lol.

Some people will love it. It's got generally really great mechanics, and a 10 out of 10 atmosphere.

But myself and others find it way too hard. Try before buy if possible.

May 14, 2021
Going to play devils advocate and say try Returnal before buying, if possible in your area.

Enjoyed it, only halfway through the levels (maybe?), with around 40 hrs.

It's too frustrating to go back and finish it.

Ironically I gave up to take a run at Dark Souls and Bloodborne instead lol.

Some people will love it. It's got generally really great mechanics, and a 10 out of 10 atmosphere.

But myself and others find it way too hard. Try before buy if possible.
The lack of saves makes it harder. For people who find the game difficult, you can make it much easier by clearing multiple biomes and stocking up on upgrades before fighting a tough boss. That is time consuming, and this game has zero respect for your time, which is why I just shake my head when people tell others it's not an issue. It is very much an issue.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of saves makes it harder. For people who find the game difficult, you can make it much easier by clearing multiple biomes and stocking up on upgrades before fighting a tough boss. That is time consuming, and this game has zero respect for your time, which is why I just shake my head when people tell others it's not an issue. It is very much an issue.

100% accurate. Well said!

It's the grind that hurts. Very time consuming. It's not really that much fun doing that when you can ruin an entire run by taking 3 seconds of multiple hits at once (hello drones).

Wish they add a difficulty change system like Nex Machina, eventually.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
$50 for Demon's Souls, Returnal and Miles Morales Ultimate edition is a great price. Grab them now if you were ever interested.

cAn I sAvE yEt

Batman-Slapping-Robin-Meme-Explained.jpg

They won. They wore me down and I can't even work up the energy to respond anymore.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say this as someone who beat the game and didn't find it that hard: you're absolutely right.

It's kind of ridiculous to see people downplaying this issue as if that affects their enjoyment.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I wouldn't say it doesn't respect your time. That would imply that it's intended to be played A-Z, beat by scripted beat. That clearly isn't what they were going for. Returnal is fun to play and has an intriguing plot told in an interesting way. To me, not respecting my time when gaming is throwing frequent or constant non or barely playable sections at me or mandatory grinding. Returnal has none of that.

Instead, you're challenged to learn the game's systems and adapt to the unpredictable. Every run is like putting together a different puzzle. It's fulfilling and, again, fun.

May 14, 2021
Eh, I wouldn't say it doesn't respect your time. That would imply that it's intended to be played A-Z, beat by scripted beat. That clearly isn't what they were going for. Returnal is fun to play and has an intriguing plot told in an interesting way. To me, not respecting my time when gaming is throwing frequent or constant non or barely playable sections at me or mandatory grinding. Returnal has none of that.

Instead, you're challenged to learn the game's systems and adapt to the unpredictable. Every run is like putting together a different puzzle. It's fulfilling and, again, fun.
The lack of a save mechanic in a game that can take hours to complete a run in is a game that doesn't respect your time. No game should expect you to always have hours to play it. It's just utterly ridiculous that they thought this was ok, and that they also though sleep mode was a viable option.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Grabbed one of those Eneba cards, so I grabbed Returnal. going to wait on a steeper discount on demons souls because how irritated I get playing those games :p

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of surprised sackboy wasn't $40 dollars already lol. That's a nice price for Demon Souls and tempting.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of a save mechanic in a game that can take hours to complete a run in is a game that doesn't respect your time. No game should expect you to always have hours to play it. It's just utterly ridiculous that they thought this was ok, and that they also though sleep mode was a viable option.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm on #teamsave. Why wouldn't you be? But taking hours on a run is a choice. The game does plenty to make sure that after you clear a biome you can easily bypass it on subsequent runs.

May 14, 2021
Oh don't get me wrong I'm on #teamsave. Why wouldn't you be? But taking hours on a run is a choice. The game does plenty to make sure that after you clear a biome you can easily bypass it on subsequent runs.
The game also makes it really easy to die quickly, which means skipping a biome is often a huge mistake. I skip the bosses but I still go through the biomes picking up upgrades so that the game can't kill me quickly.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Those are good prices. But I've waited this long, I can hold out til Black Friday. They'll be under 30 by then.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

Kinda sorta.... No lol.

When you unlock biomes the portal leading to them will remain open and no matter what Ether and things like weapon upgrades and lore pieces are permanent. It is a pain in the ass when let's say you die in Biome 2 for the first time: you go back to the start of Biome 1 and have to get back to where you were..fortunately the portals leading back to new biomes are A LOT closer than before.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
How's Sackboy? Never played LittleBigPlanet so not really a fan, but I like jump 'n' runs. Are there some hard levels in the game? Would be interested then.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
ive played and finished all these games except Returnal (no interest), loved em all. Can't go wrong with any of them, probably had the most fun with Demons Souls.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

I mean the games set up so you can easily get back to the biome you were on. Your weapon upgrades save as does the artifacts you unlock. If you go straight to the portals for later levels your weapon proficency jumps up to the average level it would be. There is no point hanging round earlier biomes. Unless you are after specific audio logs and stuff. It doesn't need a save run feature. I never used rest mode or spent hours on it at a time. I have 2 kids and work full time and still easily got the platinum. Would a save your run feature be handy? Of course it would but the game definitely does not disrespect the players time. Nearly everything you do makes later runs easier.

May 14, 2021
I mean the games set up so you can easily get back to the biome you were on. Your weapon upgrades save as does the artifacts you unlock. If you go straight to the portals for later levels your weapon proficency jumps up to the average level it would be. There is no point hanging round earlier biomes. Unless you are after specific audio logs and stuff. It doesn't need a save run feature. I never used rest mode or spent hours on it at a time. I have 2 kids and work full time and still easily got the platinum. Would a save your run feature be handy? Of course it would but the game definitely does not disrespect the players time. Nearly everything you do makes later runs easier.
The artefacts you unlock remain unlocked, but the ones you collect do not remain collected. The reason people run earlier biomes is to get those artifacts again, like the spaceman.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The artefacts you unlock remain unlocked, but the ones you collect do not remain collected. The reason people run earlier biomes is to get those artifacts again, like the spaceman.

You can buy the astronaut from nearly every shop. The chances of finding it outside of the shop are pretty rare. Again you don't need to hang round in earlier biomes. It's all risk reward. Hanging round getting stuff in earlier biomes is a time Vs will I actually find good stuff risk. It's far easier to just go straight to the portal for the next biome do what you can up to the shortcuts and carry on. Nearly every level has shortcuts which again stay unlocked. The bridge on 3 cuts that level in half same with the teleporter on 2. The game gives you plenty of time savers.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the UK sale prices for Souls and Returnal are more than I pay for day 1 releases from most other publishers.

I'll wait it out more.