• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Would've been cool if there were some rewards like avatars, themes, etc. for reaching certain level thresholds or something.
If they ever do want to do something like that, this kind of change would be necessary first. I presume they'd want to have lots of meaningful thresholds for giving out avatars and themes, and right now progress for a typical player will flatline at around level 13. So if they put in some kind of reward system now, for most people that'd mean getting one free theme per year from Sony.

Having more levels would give them the ability to reward people frequently enough that they actually noticed it.

Not saying that's what they'll do, of course, since Sony have only very occasionally dabbled in the idea of rewards for trophies, but this could be a step towards them doing that.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely interested in some of the responses that say this is great news. I don't think it's particularly bad news but it just feels like fiddling around with things so individual player's numbers look bigger rather than anything actually substantial, unless I'm missing something?

Not super fussed about trophies myself, I just want them to add some kind of activity log so I can accurately see how long I've played some of these games for.
That what I said

All they did was add a 0

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You probably finish more games than me lol
Plus you probably don't have My Name is Mayo and Goat Simulator plats like I do

Hope the new trophy change takes that into account and if one has a Hanna Montana platinum they have to start from 0 again, haha! Of course the Bloodborne Plat should have the most value.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
That's an actually good change, it becomes boring as hell once you hit a high level due to the sluggish progression

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the point. So if you go from 13 to like 200 and the other guy who is 30 jumps up to 400....what actually changed? 200 is just the new low/middle ground.

I must be missing something.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the point. So if you go from 13 to like 200 and the other guy who is 30 jumps up to 400....what actually changed? 200 is just the new low/middle ground.

Once you start getting in the mid-teens, it takes a lot longer to climb the ladder, so at the very least, you'll see more "progress" with the new format.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

They probably just want people to be more encouraged to increase their trophy level. Right now there's 8000 "points" between the higher levels, which is the equivalent of getting ~533 bronze trophies. For the people who are buying one or two games a year, that's where their trophy level pretty much stops, and where getting a new trophy might not even move the % bar showing how close you are to the next level.

If people can increase that level more often they might spend more time playing games and that's a good thing for Sony.

Last edited:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
im 25% away from getting lvl 13. (LOL).
no platinums.
i really have to play more games at least until completion.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
They probably just people to be more encouraged to increase their trophy level. Right now there's 8000 "points" between the higher levels, which is the equivalent of getting ~533 bronze trophies. For the people who are buying one or two games a year, that's where their trophy level pretty much stops, and where getting a new trophy might not even move the % bar showing how close you are to the next level.

If people can increase that level more often they might spend more time playing games and that's a good thing for Sony.

Yeah, I can't remember if it's like level 12 or 16, but the point requirement per level hits a spot that's like going 12->13 is half of what it takes to go from 1->12, so a lot of people slam into a wall right there.

Oct 27, 2017
Some actual rewards would be nice.

Why do you need rewards? The great thing about trophies isn't beating the games, it's showing everyone online that you did.

130775871946.jpg

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Level 21 with 68 Plats. 95% of the games on my list are 100% completed. Should see a significant jump when they increase the value of Plat Trophies.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I basically sat out the PS3 generation. Opted for a lightly-played Vita (it was my Lumines and P4 Golden machine) and XB360 instead. I'm currently level 13, and don't really care much about collecting trophies. Rocket League is my one and only platinum. This unique star icon next to profiles, though... That's going to make me care. And I hate it. Let me quit my games and ignore my backlog in peace.

Oct 25, 2017
Once you start getting in the mid-teens, it takes a lot longer to climb the ladder, so at the very least, you'll see more "progress" with the new format.
They probably just want people to be more encouraged to increase their trophy level. Right now there's 8000 "points" between the higher levels, which is the equivalent of getting ~533 bronze trophies. For the people who are buying one or two games a year, that's where their trophy level pretty much stops, and where getting a new trophy might not even move the % bar showing how close you are to the next level.

Yeah, I guess.
It just seems so....artificial.
But I know seeing bars go up make other people happy, so cool. I don't give a shit about trophies, so I guess it doesn't affect me either way.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm level 25 I think, interested to see where it puts me later tonight / tomorrow morning.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
So a useless update only for people who want to see fake numbers go up.

Would have been cool if they tied something to it but I guess why go the extra mile?

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
At first I thought this was a dumb bigger number is better marketing change, but I remembered how difficult it is to increase trophy level after 10. This will provide more meaningful progress to people.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Can't wait to see the change. Trophy has been pretty busted for awhile with how minimal gains were with leveling, which really made anything other than getting a platinum not very exciting after a point.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Had to agree to new TOS before I could play red dead online earlier so I guess this may have something to do with that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm Level 19 with 10 Platinums. Took a screenshot to compare when it goes live tomorrow for me. Be nice to change the number without doing anything really lol been Level 19 for years it feels like. Course not playing many games will do that but still.

Jared

Oct 27, 2017
i was extremely into trophies for many years, my Internet has subsided slightly as I've gotten into more live service games. This may be what pushes me into hunting aging. Currently level 37 with 110 plats so I estimate I end up in the high 600 to low 700 range.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good change. I think most people stopped caring after levelling slooooowed down to a halt after like level 12.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
That's kinda cool I suppose.

But since they're finally updating the Trophy System, I'd nice if they could add trophy sorting options on PS4 too.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm Level 19 with 10 Platinums. Took a screenshot to compare when it goes live tomorrow for me. Be nice to change the number without doing anything really lol been Level 19 for years it feels like. Course not playing many games will do that but still.
Good tip. I just took a screenshot to compare. Don't really care about trophies but curious where my level will end up changing to

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I was fine with the slow level grind, but this seems neat. I really hope folks at 100 don't end up at 999 so there's plenty of new room to grow too.

I was at 25.38 with 42 plats before, curious to see where I land.