• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Press Conference Link: https://livestream.com/Sony/CES

Some new info on just how well PSN is doing just announced at Sony's press conference from CES 2019. Pretty huge number of active users across PSN and it makes sense why Sony is leaning further and further into the Play Station and PSN.

Edit:

Jun 1, 2018
Still bitter they raised prices for ps plus a while back.. Wish they would remove ps plus for multi-player and introduce a game pass

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
That's at least $4 billion a year. You can cover every first-party game budget and all service/server costs with that kind of money.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's people who have accessed their network not subscribed members. Regardless if even 10% of those are psn, that's a shit ton of money.

Even if they aren't using PS+ they might be buying movies, games, DLC etc. etc. and Sony gets a cut of all those sales. They're still bring in cash by the boatload.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
cMfkFGP.gif

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Active users, not + subscribers. Still ridiculous numbers and Playstation can no doubt sustain itself.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I probably counted as 2 or 3 of them, maybe 100million is looking possible within the PS4 lifecycle now.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Steam had 90 million active users before the holiday season and have been growing every month for a long time, so they're probably higher now:

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/steam-hits-90-million-monthly-active-users

The question is if they define an "active" user the same way?

I don't know about Sony, but Valve's definition is someone who owns a game (i.e. has purchased a game from the store or activated a retail key; F2P games don't count), has been online, and has played a game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not a surprising figure really. I imagine that pretty much everyone with a PS4 will have at least one 'basic' PSN account on their machine. Also when you factor in the PS3 as well then it's a fairly reasonable figure.

I'm sure I read somewhere earlier this year that PS+ has around 35-40m subscribers, so that'll be around $2bn in revenue each year before you take into account buying games/films etc. That's impressive if true as they must be hitting nearly 50% uptake on it and also have there or thereabouts as many subscribers as there are XB1 owners in total!

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
They really should make their first party studios bigger and create/buy new ones, if only to release more great exclusives or maybe shortening development times.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really should make their first party studios bigger and create/buy new ones, if only to release more great exclusives or maybe shortening development times.

They're releasing first party titles around the same rate as Nintendo, it's not like anyone else is releasing a superior line-up at a faster rate so there's no real need to try and outdo their own current pace.

Third parties fill in the gaps anyway.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when certain companies talked MAU's, they were routinely ridiculed on "some" online gaming forums.
2018 has been a good year for Sony. Along with 17, 16, 15, 14

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're releasing first party titles around the same rate as Nintendo, it's not like anyone else is releasing a superior line-up at a faster rate so there's no real need to try and outdo their own current pace.

Third parties fill in the gaps anyway.
Are they? A quick google search shows that Nintendo released more than twice as many Switch games as Sony released PS4 games in 2018. Granted, some of those Switch games were ports, but on volume alone it seems that Nintendo trumps them easily.

However, this is way off topic so no idea why that other poster even mentioned that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they? A quick google search shows that Nintendo released more than twice as many Switch games as Sony released PS4 games in 2018. Granted, some of those Switch games were ports, but on volume alone it seems that Nintendo trumps them easily.

However, this is way off topic so no idea why that other poster even mentioned that.

But iffy on counting ports but it felt like Nintendo was coasting until the Holidays as far as major games went.

But yeah this is getting off topic.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprising figure really. I imagine that pretty much everyone with a PS4 will have at least one 'basic' PSN account on their machine. Also when you factor in the PS3 as well then it's a fairly reasonable figure.

I'm sure I read somewhere earlier this year that PS+ has around 35-40m subscribers, so that'll be around $2bn in revenue each year before you take into account buying games/films etc. That's impressive if true as they must be hitting nearly 50% uptake on it and also have there or thereabouts as many subscribers as there are XB1 owners in total!
I'm not sure how it is impressive to have a 50% attach rate on a subscription that is mandatory to play the most popular games on the system. It was this way with Gold on 360 as well.

Paid online is the cancer of consoles, it is never going away now.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm not sure how it is impressive to have a 50% attach rate on a subscription that is mandatory to play the most popular games on the system. It was this way with Gold on 360 as well.

Paid online is the cancer of consoles, it is never going away now.
I'm really not so sure,a cancer eats away and eventually destroys........paid online is raking in the money and making Sony very healthy right now,lol.