• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh...you can do that on a ps3. Its been possible for years. Unfortunately ps1 games are so low resolution they look awful on a giant hdtv.

Its better to play those on Vita if you can.
Nah, I mean I want to play them on the PS5. On a big screen. So I hope we will get some PSOne BC some day. Chances aren't high tho.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Backward Compatibility is basically confirmed with this news

Absolutely.

That way it ensures that the constant stream of revenue generated thus far does not get fragmented and moves over into the PS5's ecosystem along with the "new PSN" Sony is cooking up. Numbers from Software and Network services will look stable for investors and Sony keeps growing the monthly active user base of PSN.

Very interesting timeline for Playstation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
So were digital sales for Sony higher than physical? Because that's what it seems like if you compare the digital store number to the total revenue. That would be huge.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Backward Compatibility is basically confirmed with this news
It would make it very hard for the, by the time, 110-120 mil Ps4 owners, to leave their library behind and switch platform for next gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if market shares from this generation are pretty much set in stone, much more so than in previous generations.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotal evidence is still evidence.

If every single Facebook post about PS+ games has hundreds of people stating they do not download PS+ games because they suck, then you can reasonably assume there are thousands more NOT posting on Facebook that they don't download PS+ games.

Just because someone hasn't taken a surveymonkey poll doesn't mean it's not relevant.

If you're going to engage in speculation and conjecture then I could just as easily assume those people not taking advantage of FREE software (which is included in a premium service they already pay for) are anomalistic.

Interestingly enough your example suggests as much because if people are posting that the Plus games 'suck', that is clearly a divergent and outlier opinion given the relative quality of the software that has been provided thus far.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This.

And kudos to Sony for being the leading factor in the downfall of physical games and collectors around the world.

How so? Every single PS4 game is physically available without shortages or anything. And they keep releasing amazing collector's editions for their 1st party games.
They just give you both choices. If people are choosing digital, they aren't the ones to blame.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nah, I mean I want to play them on the PS5. On a big screen. So I hope we will get some PSOne BC some day. Chances aren't high tho.

Playing them on a ps5 on a big screen is likely going to be exactly like playing them on a ps3 on a big screen.

IIRC the Ps1 rendered stuff at 320×240 resolution in 4:3. It looks straight up horrible blown up to 1080p on a 60inch.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
My word. Well done, Sony.

I only own a few PSPs and Vita and not a home console, but I love that they hold really good sales. You can get great games at really good prices a few times throughout the year.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing them on a ps5 on a big screen is likely going to be exactly like playing them on a ps3 on a big screen.

IIRC the Ps1 rendered stuff at 320×240 resolution in 4:3. It looks straight up horrible blown up to 1080p on a 60inch.
Sure. But that means I have to put my PS3 back under my TV. And yeah.... nah. Let us play them on the PS5 ;)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Sony has the best charts in the business

DyTULz1X4AEK71x.jpg:large

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is why Nintendo and Microsoft are Better Together.

Dammit....
PSNow isn't tied to a box either. But it's not locked behind PS+ either and has less GaaS exclusives to keep people on PC subbed.
Like how PS Now subscription is already on PC and can easily be expanded to mobile?

It's still amazing that PSNow still gets downplayed, dismissed.
So PSN became a juggernaut overnight?
One of the worst things MS ever did was normalise paywall for online and now free online is gone forever, I mean hooray for Sony's shareholders but man, if you're celebrating this it's pretty much a pyrrhic victory.

Aahh, don't forget F2P doesn't need Plus. And PSNow doesn't. Will be interesting to see how MS handles online MP with streaming....
I'm surprised PS+ grew despite the by far biggest game on the platform not requiring PS+, I guess those Fortnite Skins put in some work, so those who only play it still want an active sub.

Yup, this.
Shocking that the main reason why people buy consoles is making the most money. I don't get how some here keeps going on and on about ancillary stuff. Good games and marketing bring in the bacon that is all.

Yup, it's always about the games.

Wait a minute. Fostering third parties matters?!

Who would have thunk, right?

Exclusives, 3rd parties, it all depends on some things as to which is important.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS now hasn't even been available for the whole of europe, only recently they launched in a few more countries in europe. If sony play their cards right and start adding more downlodable ps4 and ps5 games in the future, it will be another juggernaut for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I can see MS will generate the highest revenue since streaming and subscription no longer tie to a box, they can reach much bigger market unlike Sony and Nintendo.

There's a difference between making promises and actually already having a fully functioning streaming subscription service available to be used today that actually commands the lion's share of the streaming market! Who'dathunk?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising it's bigger than MS entire gaming division considering Sony is outselling MS by a significant margin this generation

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
If they can manage to have a smooth transition for PS5 and beyond that will be compatible with the current PSN users accounts, and games they can be the leader for an extremely long time.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
and yet...the store doesn't even work. Imagine if PSN wasn't terrible..how much more money they could make.

Just getting the store to open on my PS4 Pro is hassle enough. But then the kicker of finally getting to checkout and getting an error. This happens nearly every time i make a purchase. I can't even count how many times i've had to buy something off the website because it wouldn't work thru the console.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, good for Sony. It helps that there are sooooo many good sales now to convince enough people that digital is at least worth that.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
damn impressive numbers. I know a few in my friend circle have gone all in on digital so yeah I could see how numbers like this can happen

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
and yet...the store doesn't even work. Imagine if PSN wasn't terrible..how much more money they could make.

Just getting the store to open on my PS4 Pro is hassle enough. But then the kicker of finally getting to checkout and getting an error. This happens nearly every time i make a purchase. I can't even count how many times i've had to buy something off the website because it wouldn't work thru the console.

I'm not trying to downplay or dismiss your frustration but I've had none of those problems on the PSN store and I buy a shit ton of digital software.

What region are you?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hamster Plugin
ArmGunar

The costs to Sony for the Plus games are fixed sums negotiated separately with each developer. It's not based on how many people then download the free game. The sum agreed will surely vary based on a number of factors such as: the devs projected sales over the next N months and the revenue hit going free might cost them, the marketing benefit to promote a sequel or another game from the same dev, or sell dlc, how desperate the dev is for money in hand now rather than later, how badly the dev wants the exposure, etc. Even as the PSN subscriber base grows, it doesn't mean the cost to acquire those games will grow linearly with it, since the cost to the dev of going free is 70% of the sales they will miss out on, and just because there are more PS4's and more PSN subs doesn't necessarily mean their sales forecast will be much higher, if at all, due to all the competition. When Sony had 20M subs they could say to the dev, "At your current sales rate you might lose 70% of 30K sales if you go free.", so we'll pay you X% of that money now, and when Sony had/has 40M subs the devs sales forecast might be the same.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Never happened to me.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Sony didn't win this gen so much as it was handed to them by Microsoft and Nintendo(Wii U). They got very lucky, but that luck always had a shelf life and it's beginning to run out.

Looking at how Smash completely crushed GOW and Spiderman sales on a much smaller install base proves that insulated $60, single player console exclusives aren't exactly a winning stragedy all by themselves going forward.

Sony needs to find a way to innovate in the same way Microsoft has with services and Nintendo has with hardware because great games are a dime a dozen, literally so on Xbox now. I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are seeing the bigger picture.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when xbox live used to be the top dawg and people used to call PSN trash? How the tables have turned. MSFT got whopped these last couple of years man.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony didn't win this gen so much as it was handed to them by Microsoft and Nintendo(Wii U). They got very lucky, but that luck always had a shelf life and it's beginning to run out.

Looking at how Smash completely crushed GOW and Spiderman sales on a much smaller install base proves that insulated $60, single player console exclusives aren't exactly a winning stragedy all by themselves going forward.

Sony needs to find a way to innovate in the same way Microsoft has with services and Nintendo has with hardware because great games are a dime a dozen, literally so on Xbox now. I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are seeing the bigger picture.

Was copying a post from 5 days ago word for word meant to be sarcasm? Add the /s next time lol.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Hamster Plugin
ArmGunar

The costs to Sony for the Plus games are fixed sums negotiated separately with each developer. It's not based on how many people then download the free game. The sum agreed will surely vary based on a number of factors such as: the devs projected sales over the next N months and the revenue hit going free might cost them, the marketing benefit to promote a sequel or another game from the same dev, or sell dlc, how desperate the dev is for money in hand now rather than later, how badly the dev wants the exposure, etc. Even as the PSN subscriber base grows, it doesn't mean the cost to acquire those games will grow linearly with it, since the cost to the dev of going free is 70% of the sales they will miss out on, and just because there are more PS4's and more PSN subs doesn't necessarily mean their sales forecast will be much higher, if at all, due to all the competition. When Sony had 20M subs they could say to the dev, "At your current sales rate you might lose 70% of 30K sales if you go free.", so we'll pay you X% of that money now, and when Sony had/has 40M subs the devs sales forecast might be the same.

Thank you for this ! I thought it was something like that but I couldn't find anything related to confirm

Have you got a link about that ?

Oct 25, 2017

Was copying a post from 5 days ago word for word meant to be sarcasm? Add the /s next time lol.
Lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please think of the older folks? Please highlight sarcasm more apparently. I'm starting to fall for it every time.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
PSNow isn't tied to a box either. But it's not locked behind PS+ either and has less GaaS exclusives to keep people on PC subbed.
Zhuge, do you have digital numbers for PS4+X1 in the US?
That X1 LTD thread had some of the hottest takes - I always assumed that the digital attach rate should be almost identical in the US for
X1 and PS4, but some regions in the world pull the overall ratio down for PS.

In the US the Xbox still has higher digital sales ratio for a lot of third party titles. Of course that doesn't always translate into more sales, given the install base difference, but sometimes it does. Digital sales ratio for first party titles is also really high.

There are multiple reasons why this is the case, such as Xbox having a smaller yet more engaged base, Xbox Live being a part of Xbox for so long, the introduction of Play Anywhere and many other reasons. It's why software and services revenue is so high for Xbox.

When I talk about digital sales I am of course excluding game pass because that's a subscription service.

Oct 27, 2017
In the US the Xbox still has higher digital sales ratio for a lot of third party titles. Of course that doesn't always translate into more sales, given the install base difference, but sometimes it does. Digital sales ratio for first party titles is also really high.

There are multiple reasons why this is the case, such as Xbox having a smaller yet more engaged base, Xbox Live being a part of Xbox for so long, the introduction of Play Anywhere and many other reasons. It's why software and services revenue is so high for Xbox.

When I talk about digital sales I am of course excluding game pass because that's a subscription service.
Thx!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
PS Plus is a massive profit generator as people buy it to play online and do not redeem the monthly games (the part that actually costs Sony money).

Paid online is never going away, which makes me sad as hell.
I don't think this is how it works. I'm pretty sure Sony has to pay a lump sum to the dev upfront based on some sort of calculations of projected download rates. I might be mistaken, but I thought that's what I had previously heard.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It baffles me that so many people don't redeem any of the games. I literally redeem everything because you never know if something might turn out interesting, and it takes about two minutes each month.

For example, I got a local four player game of Alienation going last year with some friends, and everyone was like "We deffo need to buy this when we get home!", and I was like "you should have it on PS+", but apparently none of them had bothered to redeem it when it was available, so they ended up throwing away £16 each on a game they could've already had.

That said, I'm probably in the minority of people who bought into PS+ mainly for the monthly games.

I only redeem games I know I might actually play. There's not enough time to play all the good new games, let alone all the free* PS+ and GWG titles, so I don;'t want to clutter my library with a bunch of shit.

I still haven't finished AC Syndicate on Xbox (which was a GWG title in April), and I haven't even started God of War 3 which was on PS+ in September.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't deserve a 30% cut of every digital sale when their servers are generally awful. I wish there was competition in this space, but with closed gardens it's no wonder Sony is making this much profit.
those servers are third party servers. The publisher pays for them
This is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.