• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So I finally decided to change my PSN ID after holding it off for so long. Anyway, I figured I'd change my avatar as well. I totally forgot how bad they were. It's just endless pages of weird gamer text you see on t shirts. Plus a bunch of other ones that look like they came from over a decade ago. You can't even really filter these out so you get the ones that do come from games. In the end I just ended up going with the Death guy from Let It Die. Idk, it's just weird to me that they have been this bad for so long. I guess in the end it really isn't a big deal.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I use a Joe Madureira drawn Darksiders 2 Death Avatar... there are TONS of great avatars... the Disgaea ones are killer too. The Persona 5 ones are awesome as well...

Just ignore the smobile and turdburger ones

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I like the multicolored smiley poops. They're the best and for awhile me and my friends used each color as our avatars.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of trash avatars, there's also a lot of boring and bland avatars of still renders and basic character art used as avatars. Hardly any imagination. But boring, bland company made avatars have always been a thing since forever and I wish it got better.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I use one of the observer avatars and I love it but there aren't that many great ones overall
CUSA07510_00-AV00000000000002_5121FF8D594AF3299D51_l.png

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So I finally decided to change my PSN ID after holding it off for so long. Anyway, I figured I'd change my avatar as well. I totally forgot how bad they were. It's just endless pages of weird gamer text you see on t shirts. Plus a bunch of other ones that look like they came from over a decade ago. You can't even really filter these out so you get the ones that do come from games. In the end I just ended up going with the Death guy from Let It Die. Idk, it's just weird to me that they have been this bad for so long. I guess in the end it really isn't a big deal.
Filter them by price. In other words, search for the free ones and all the T-Shirt crap avatars are gone. All free avatars are game related and thers lots and lots to choose from. That or search for the name of a game you like and see if thers avatars availble for that tittle.

Same thing for PS4 themes.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, they're mostly stupid.

Some of the Death Stranding ones look cool, but I'm not sure if you have to buy them, or beat the game, or what.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the same she-hulk avatar since mvc3 dropped so I disagree lol

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
There was a major improvement on the backend a little while ago (reducing the rate at which companies could release non game related avatars and themes), but I also wish there was better sort options for users.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I like my Sylens from HZD avatar. And the John Marston one I had before that.

I prefer these over Xbox's.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most of them are weak, even the "good" preorder ones lose their appeal quick.

Just waiting for a good Red XIII one and I'll be happy.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Mine is Goro Majima from Yazkua 0.

Only because I like his look, I didnt play much Y0

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the free default ones are trash, sure. There's a lot of good ones in the PlayStation Store and I don't mind paying 49 cents for one if I like it enough.

If you're only looking for bad ones, you'll only find bad ones. So yeah, this thread seems like extreme hyperbole, especially with that title.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've been using the Japanese Regina from Dino Crisis ever since it was added to the store. Still a blessing to this day that actually happened.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There are some nice free RDR2/Yakuza 0/Final Fantasy/Horizon Zero Dawn...

Oct 25, 2017
Been using

5252222395_29edf2c578_m.jpg

For years,

really pisses me off when the regions outside the US get a lot of cool stuff like Resident Evil Anniversary, Ace Combat, Evangelion etc.

My Japanese account for example has
012.jpg

Last edited:

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I see so many people still rocking Alex Mercer and Haze guy on Live from PlayStation.
I use one of the Ape Escape avatars.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should really just let you use whatever image you want. This whole avatar thing is just outdated at this point. A relic of a previous gen.