• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from the Nintendo World Report review:
To unlock one of the new additions to the game, a playable version of Knives Chau, you are required to log into the Ubisoft services with an account in order to receive the character. This game is supposed to be the re-release of a game that was mostly infamous for being inaccessible thanks to it being a digital release. Locking free and new content behind another digital sign-in service is nothing but detestable from Ubisoft.

this is complete BS. a complete edition of a 10 year old game shouldn't have DLC locked behind logging into a service, specially for a game like this that's been notoriously unplayable for so long. what is ubisoft doing?

thanks to Electric Sheep for pointing this out in the review thread.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
WTF the whole point of a complete edition is that everything is on disc

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So that's a problem.

Also defeats the purpose of a physical version since you'd be unable to unlock that in the future when the servers go down. Hopefully this gets fixed before the LRG version goes into print.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate that.

David Jaffe was saying the same thing with Doom Eternal and Bethesda accounts.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is *not* true on Xbox One, which is the platform I've tested on. Knives works by default, and no other content appears to be locked. (Coincidentally, the Ubisoft login service built into the game shows nothing unlockable right now.)

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i don't remember the original having uplay embedded even tho most ubisoft games had it shoehorned in back then so why now?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is *not* true on Xbox One, which is the platform I've tested on. Knives works by default, and no other content appears to be locked. (Coincidentally, the Ubisoft login service built into the game shows nothing unlockable right now.)
were you perhaps already logged into ubi services on your xbox?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

Interesting. We'll have to see what happens on release, but it would be weird if the Switch version required a login and the Xbox one didn't.

Would also stop me from buying the Switch physical. Would either wait for Xbox or hope the PS4 one doesn't need it either.

(I'm also not happy that the Ubisoft login stuff is there at all, but if it's meaningless then I can ignore it)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh their notoriously unstable and commonly offline service? The one that's keeping me from unlocks in rocksmith steam because they are permanently broken? Great move Ubi, great move

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(I'm also not happy that the Ubisoft login stuff is there at all, but if it's meaningless then I can ignore it)
seems like you'll need it if you want to play online multiplayer also. from the same review:
Unfortunately, in order to access the "Network play" sessions, all players are required to have an Ubisoft account and be signed into the online service.

there's nothing in the game that pauses, stutters, or checks for an Ubisoft account, so I can't be sure what may have happened.
i see. it may be a platform-specific issue then. i guess we'll know more when the game comes out tomorrow.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
It should be included in the LRG version, they delayed the Panzer Dragoon remake for it's stability patch.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they locked knives, the first released dlc character at the time of the original release, behind ubisoft connect, but not wallace, the second one released later?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Also not the case on Xbox. I wonder if that's an Ubisoft dodge to get around Nintendo Switch Online?

While we're here, FYI:

Time is a flat circle

215499869_AarNp-L-2.jpg

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Also not the case on Xbox. I wonder if that's an Ubisoft dodge to get around Nintendo Switch Online?

While we're here, FYI:

The online play was janky and broken in the original as well so that tracks. It was essentially hacked into the game as best they could without rewriting the entire thing.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
This isn't accurate at least for the ps4 version. All the content and characters were unlocked from the start. Maybe it was just a thing for the review copies?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since this seems to be not the case on xbox, switch or ps4, maybe the reviewer had it wrong or this was just an issue with their review copy. i've asked for the the thread to be locked for now, i apologize for hastily making this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.