• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I feel like I'd have to make this thread since over the last weeks I saw so many topics and posts that made me realize that people don't know about this.
I know many know that MS offers the possibility to let you convert your XBL Gold sub into a Game Pass Ultimate sub for only $1 (or € or whatever).
It is true that this special offer can only be used once.
However even after you already used that method and your Ultimate subscription ran out - you can always again get a new Gold sub and convert it into Ultimate!

How it works:
Get a code for XBL Gold (on Amazon or retail) which usually should be around 60 bucks a year and redeem then on your account (at the moment MS even gives you 1 free month if you enable the auto-renew).
Remember you can stack up to 3 years of Gold.
Then simply go to Game Pass Ultimate and subscribe for 12.99 a month. Then automatically all your Gold Sub will be converted into Game Pass Ultimate + the one month you pay 12.99 for.

I also used the 1€ offer last year for one year. It ran out this year and I bought 2x 12 mo and 1x 6 mo codes, redermed them (3 free month for allowing auto-renew) and then paid 12.99 and voila - 34 month of Game Pass Ultimate for 160€ and I'm good until 2023.

Reminder on what Game Pass Ultimate offers you:
- Xbox Live Gold
- Game Pass on Consoles
- Game Pass on PC
- xCloud Streaming on android
- EA Play on consoles
- EA Play on PC (coming in December)
- Special offers (free DLC, sometimes free subs for Discord, Spotify, Disney+ etc.)

tl;dr: You can upgrade your Gold sub to Ultimate by a 1-time payment of 12.99 even if you already used the $1 offer before.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Trolling
13061076.jpg

Everybody knew that...

Jun 20, 2018
You can get some really cheap Gold subs right now too. I got a year from Cdkeys for £34. Full price GPU is £132 a year.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it de-convert into standard Gold after a month? Technically you are just subbing for a month, not sure how it works.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it de-convert into standard Gold after a month? Technically you are just subbing for a month, not sure how it works.
No. I did a one year conversion in 2019 and let it expire then last month I bought 3 years of gold and converted again paying for month and am now subbed until 2023.

Oct 27, 2017
You can get some really cheap Gold subs right now too. I got a year from Cdkeys for £34. Full price GPU is £132 a year.

• Brazil/ME is the cheapest: $33/€30/year
• European codes are alright, something like €40/year
• US codes (and Global ones), because most people on Xbox are from there, are close to the full $60/year... You got to be willing to VPN-activate other region codes if you want a good deal.

I should write a VPN guide how to save you all money, and make the entire sub closer to $110/€100 for 3 years... You only need to activate XBL with VPN.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need to sub to ultimate for one month?
Doesnt Gold just convert to Ultimate by default?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No. I did a one year conversion in 2019 and let it expire then last month I bought 3 years of gold and converted again paying for month and am now subbed until 2023.
Luckily it won't. It will turn everything over to Ultimate. People have been doing it for a while now.
So if I:
-stock up up to 3 years of Gold via codes
-sub for one month of Ultimate
-let that one month pass

I will be left with up to 3 years of GP Ultimate without need of paying/doing anything else?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
So if I:
-stock up up to 3 years of Gold via codes
-sub for one month of Ultimate
-let that one month pass

I will be left with up to 3 years of GP Ultimate without need of paying/doing anything else?

The one caveat is that you need to not be subscribed to GPU to do this. Otherwise I'm fairly sure your Gold will get converted to roughly 1/3 as many days of GPU.

NamikazeBurst

Oct 25, 2017
I did just over 1 year when the conversion was put into place. I believe my GPU is up in around June/July next year. I'm hopefully they don't get rid of this conversion before then so that I can do 3 years of gold and be set for a good while.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So I feel like I'd have to make this thread since over the last weeks I saw so many topics and posts that made me realize that people don't know about this.
I know many know that MS offers the possibility to let you convert your XBL Gold sub into a Game Pass Ultimate sub for only $1 (or € or whatever).
It is true that this special offer can only be used once.
However even after you already used that method and your Ultimate subscription ran out - you can always again get a new Gold sub and convert it into Ultimate!

How it works:
Get a code for XBL Gold (on Amazon or retail) which usually should be around 60 bucks a year and redeem then on your account (at the moment MS even gives you 1 free month if you enable the auto-renew).
Remember you can stack up to 3 years of Gold.
Then simply go to Game Pass Ultimate and subscribe for 12.99 a month. Then automatically all your Gold Sub will be converted into Game Pass Ultimate + the one month you pay 12.99 for.

I also used the 1€ offer last year for one year. It ran out this year and I bought 2x 12 mo and 1x 6 mo codes, redermed them (3 free month for allowing auto-renew) and then paid 12.99 and voila - 34 month of Game Pass Ultimate for 160€ and I'm good until 2023.

Reminder on what Game Pass Ultimate offers you:
- Xbox Live Gold
- Game Pass on Consoles
- Game Pass on PC
- xCloud Streaming on android
- EA Play on consoles
- EA Play on PC (coming in December)
- Special offers (free DLC, free subs for Discord, Spotify, Disney+)

tl;dr: You can upgrade your Gold sub to Ultimate by a 1-time payment of 12.99 even if you already used the $1 offer before.
OP, I still have ultimate until june of 2022. Can I do that know or I have to wait until I use everything?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

This thread should really be titled "PSA: You can do a 1:1 conversion rate to Game Pass Ultimate more than once..."

...as long as you are NOT CURRENTLY SUBSCRIBED to Ultimate" or something to that effect.

I think the important details to note is the 1:1 conversion rate being maintained as long as you are not a GPU subscriber when you do the conversion. Hypothetically, if Microsoft doesn't mess with Gold itself, you can keep converting as much as you want after your GPU subscription lapses.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
OP, I still have ultimate until june of 2022. Can I do that know or I have to wait until I use everything?

You must wait.

If you have an ACTIVE GPU sub, whatever subscription you're trying to convert will do so at a reduced rate.
If you have an INACTIVE GPU sub, 1:1 conversion rate will occur.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've been hoping for some cheap gold, but nothing has really hit when I've had the money. I'm going to hold out for just a few more days, for "Cyber Monday" or whatever, but my gold expires in January and I'm afraid the deal will expire suddenly, and without warning.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
• US codes (and Global ones), because most people on Xbox are from there, are close to the full $60/year... You got to be willing to VPN-activate other region codes if you want a good deal.

I should write a VPN guide how to save you all money, and make the entire sub closer to $110/€100 for 3 years... You only need to activate XBL with VPN.

Do it

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for the heads up! Had no idea I could use codes from other regions as long as I used a VPN, this is awesome!

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I can assure you that not everyone knows this, and there are undoubtedly a lot of new Xbox owners right now who could take advantage of this. Weird to gatekeep a thread like this where OP is trying to help people out.
Tbf there's been loads of threads on this, in particular buying from brazil and doing the vpn redeem trick. Evolution of Metal has been in those threads showing people how it's done, even doing the same in this one if you read beyond the first post.

I did it a little bit back, got 3 years. The important thing when redeeming your 12 months gold is to NOT take the free month or you'll fuck up being able to stack 36 months. After the 3 years I'll see if this is still a thing, but I'm not at all invested in my xbox account so will just make another and use the £1 conversion. Can't see it being a thing though, think all those 12 month gold cards will have sold through and vanished by then and we'll be stuck with the hassle of multiple 14 day trials etc as a means of doing it on the cheap.

EDIT: tbf though,yeah, there are people who think it's impossible to do a second time, but the OP's method of buying a year is only one way to get back to it.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017

VPN is risky and against TOS. I wouldn't risk an account ban for saving some bucks.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread OP. I thought it was pretty crazy to see people fawning hard over the comparatively quite expensive "3 months GPU for $20" Black Friday deal, and stacking them for years!

ElGoldur

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Could someone confirm something for me before I will do something wrong :)

So, I have just bought a series S (my first xbox ever). I bough and added 36 Months of live gold to my account/console.

Now I am trying to upgrade it to live Ultimate. It shows me an option to upgrade it by paying 1€ on the first Month and afterwards 12.99€/Month.
Let me see if I got this right. So, if I choose that option, I will pay 1€ and my 36 Months will be automagically converted into live Ultimate? Meaning, I will not have to pay anything else for the next 36 Months. Did I got this correct?

OP
OP
Bedameister

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Could someone confirm something for me before I will do something wrong :)

So, I have just bought a series S (my first xbox ever). I bough and added 36 Months of live gold to my account/console.

Now I am trying to upgrade it to live Ultimate. It shows me an option to upgrade it by paying 1€ on the first Month and afterwards 12.99€/Month.
Let me see if I got this right. So, if I choose that option, I will pay 1€ and my 36 Months will be automagically converted into live Ultimate? Meaning, I will not have to pay anything else for the next 36 Months. Did I got this correct?
Correct