• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Pelosi would not stop being Speaker until the House elects a new one. She doesn't need to remain a sitting member of the House, so her House term expiring is irrelevant.

I'm not sure that is true. Otherwise, why would they bother to reelect a new speaker at the beginning of every Congress?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what people get out of attacking the concerns of progressives when there's an actual enemy out there perfectly fine with letting people die. It just feels like a vector for people to be able to say "progressives are as bad as republicans" without having to worry about being called out for "both sides"ing.
So it's better to let rampant fear mongering, irrational reasoning and conspiracy theory to continue so that we don't attack progressives?

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
The founding fathers didn't think a cult (GOP) would occupy all three branches of the government, so yeah we're so fucking fucked its not fucking funny...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure that is true. Otherwise, why would they bother to reelect a new speaker at the beginning of every Congress?
Customs and protocol. The House can set their own rules, and they hold the vote for Speaker at the start of every new Congress.

But if a new Congress doesn't sit, a new Speaker is never chosen, so the previous one remains in office.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this line of thinking is based on the mistaken idea that the rule of law has ended.

It hasn't. Everything listed so far in this thread as an example of Trump ignoring the Constitution and legality have not, in fact, been against the law.

If the law says Trump hasn't done anything illegal then the American legal system is pretty messed up. He has been testing the limits of his power ever since he got into office and nobody has stopped him yet. Nothing implies or indicates that anyone on the Supreme Court or the Senate has any interest in holding Trump accountable for his actions, either.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
OP is right but I can't blame people for being cynical bordering on nihilist about this. Trump has gladly broken rules and decorum as he's seen fit, the GOP-controlled Senate has sat on their hands and allowed him to do this, and SCOTUS judges and members of the DOJ have been specifically planted to support him in doing this. At every step this administration has proven itself to be absolutely hostile to the institutions of the federal government, treating them not as traditions to be abided but as restraints that impede what it desires to do.

OP is right but a lot of people besides Trump are going to have to go away to bring any real sense of trust back.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If the law says Trump hasn't done anything illegal then the American legal system is pretty messed up. He has been testing the limits of his power ever since he got into office and nobody has stopped him yet. Nothing implies or indicates that anyone on the Supreme Court or the Senate has any interest in holding Trump accountable for his actions, either.
Yes, the American governmental system relies too much on tradition and precedent rather then written laws. That is exploited by Trump and the GOP.

But that doesn't change the fact that, when it comes to elections, those laws are very clear.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Since people have been bringing this up in multiple threads, there is no mechanism for Trump to delay elections.

Federal voting falls under Congress.

Also, US presidents and vice-president have set terms.

If the election was vastly delayed for some reason, Trump would not stay President. His term would expire, the rules of succession would come into play, and the presidency would pass to the Speaker of the House.

Yes. If all goes to shit and Nov elections are called off, the US will end up with President Pelosi.

The presidential election is constitutionally mandated and the election day is set by congress.

The executive branch has no part in that decision.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Good to have that kind of thing nailed down, just saw that local elections in the UK have been delayed until 2021.

Aug 12, 2019
I'm sure that the man who refuses to obey the Constitution and considers it little more than an inconvenience will absolutely be totally willing to obey it at the impending end of his Presidency with almost certain prosecution upon said exit...

Seriously? Have we learned nothing over the past 4 years?

Oct 27, 2017
It's not. People on the right had no reason to believe that shit, people on the left have been given plenty of reason to believe this, even if it's ultimately not the case.
I think the only difference is that Trump actually probably wants it to be true. It still doesn't change the fact that the chances of it happening are 0%.

I'm not even trying to be a dick, and I feel you're posts are always well reasoned/level-headed. I just think this is a case of destructive hysteria that can be better used to think about more likely grim scenarios we need to actually combat. For instance, leveraging disease panic to try to further suppress voting.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure that the man who refuses to obey the Constitution and considers it little more than an inconvenience will absolutely be totally willing to obey it at the impending end of his Presidency with almost certain prosecution upon said exit...

Seriously? Have we learned nothing over the past 4 years?
What part of the Constitution has he violated?

And he doesn't have to "obey" the rules of succession, the Constitution requires nothing from him. After 1/19/21, if he loses the election, he's just not President anymore.

Aug 12, 2019
What part of the Constitution has he violated?

And he doesn't have to "obey" the rules of succession, the Constitution requires nothing from him. After 1/19/21, if he loses the election, he's just not President anymore.

Did we not just go through an entire impeachment process detailing what he did wrong, and emoluments alone he's violated while in office for years.

Yes, but if he refuses to transition power peacefully at that point, it's just civil war and he'll have a dedicated base and most of the federal government and its resources at his back. It doesn't matter if Pelosi "Technically becomes President" on January 19th or if Biden genuinely gets elected at that point.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Trump won't leave even if he loses.

Literally doesn't matter. As soon as his term expires he is no longer the president no matter where he is. The White House is just where the president lives and isn't where the president has Authority and only there.

As soon as the new president is sworn in he is no longer president it doesn't matter what his physical location is.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Did we not just go through an entire impeachment process detailing what he did wrong, and emoluments alone he's violated while in office for years.

Yes, but if he refuses to transition power peacefully at that point, it's just civil war and he'll have a dedicated base and most of the federal government and its resources at his back. It doesn't matter if Pelosi "Technically becomes President" on January 19th or if Biden genuinely gets elected at that point.
Yes, we did. And he was impeached by the House and tried by the Senate. As the Constitution mandates. The Constitution does NOT mandate he be removed from office for what he did. That's entirely the Senate's decision.

The federal government is made up of millions of workers who are not politically appointed. They are not down for a coup, they have no reason to support a coup.

When Trump is no longer President, he can stamp his feet and yell and do whatever he wants, but it won't change the fact that he simply isn't President anymore, and the same Secret Service agents that would take a bullet for him on 1/19 will just as easily put a bullet in him on 1/20.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're saying, but these types of posts dismissing those concerned about November just reminds me of posters during the Mueller investigation. Some posters kept saying similar things like how Barr couldn't prevent the report from coming out, or manipulate the information or whatever, and teeechnically they were correct but Barr still muddied the waters with his summary, intentionally released the whole report as opposed to the summary to make it harder for people to parse, killed the investigation before it was done, hamstrung Mueller during his deposition and then during that time actively suppressed even worse things from coming out in regards to Ukraine. So yeah, he didn't technically break any laws, but he tried to mask as much fuckery as he could and the posters who got hung up on the specifics of how he did it just looked naive.

Just because you personally haven't figured out how he's going to get away with some crazy unprecedented amount of fuckery, doesn't mean it can't happen. And expecting people on this forum to lay out how it's all going to play or else you get to mock them doesn't actually make you come off like the smarter person.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you personally haven't figured out how he's going to get away with some crazy unprecedented amount of fuckery, doesn't mean it can't happen. And expecting people on this forum to lay out how it's all going to play or else you get to mock them doesn't actually make you come off like the smarter person.
Past a certain point though there's no reason to entertain such tinfoil-hattery.

It's not a discussion if all people want to do is bury their heads in whatever misery-prolonging infowars-level conspiracy theory they've adopted.

Deal with the problems you have right now in front of you. Not the phantoms that aren't here but scare you anyway.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think the only difference is that Trump actually probably wants it to be true. It still doesn't change the fact that the chances of it happening are 0%.

I'm not even trying to be a dick, and I feel you're posts are always well reasoned/level-headed. I just think this is a case of destructive hysteria that can be better used to think about more likely grim scenarios we need to actually combat. For instance, leveraging disease panic to try to further suppress voting.
I agree, I guess I would just like to see efforts refocused on the prescient threat of the things he can do to screw with the election in a better way, rather than like "you're all crazy" or "you're acting like republicans". People have good reason to be concerned, it's at least understandable, I just think it can be funneled in a better way. And I know you're not being a dick, you're a good dude.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Past a certain point though there's no reason to entertain such tinfoil-hattery.

It's not a discussion if all people want to do is bury their heads in whatever misery-prolonging infowars-level conspiracy theory they've adopted.

Deal with the problems you have right now in front of you. Not the phantoms that aren't here but scare you anyway.
The problem we have right now is a corrupt president who has no issues breaking laws to get what he wants and he has a justice department that supports him. That's reality. That's not tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Trump can't delay or cancel the election. But the GOP can do all sorts of underhanded shit, and they will. And Trump can whine about how unfair everything is, and he will. That may not sound scary, but it is. All this shit undermines our democracy.

Trump won't win re-election, not legitimately. But all that shit may add up to enough to illegitimately re-elect him.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Supporting a coup would be illegal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Supporting a coup in the US would be illegal

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Then why even discuss anything with any rationality? Anything can happen so nobody should be challenged with anything they say.

Aug 12, 2019
Yes, we did. And he was impeached by the House and tried by the Senate. As the Constitution mandates. The Constitution does NOT mandate he be removed from office for what he did.

The federal government is made up of millions of workers who are not politically appointed. They are not down for a coup, they have no reason to support a coup.

When Trump is no longer President, he can stamp his feet and yell and do whatever he wants, but it won't change the fact that he simply isn't President anymore, and the same Secret Service agents that would take a bullet for him on 1/19 will just as easily put a bullet in him on 1/20.

When did I ever say the Constitution mandates his removal? I just said he continues to violate the constitution.

I mean, he doesn't have to do much to remain in power. I suspect the Secret Service agents aren't going to be the ones to make such a rash decision as to shoot a former President in that minute or even necessarily decide the fate of our Democracy unless they just personally hate him or fear his rule that much. Plus, if Trump pulls some crazy shit and starts screaming about rigged elections and coups from the Democrats and then has his compromised Supreme Court hand down a decision, things get a lot more bleak and frightening.

The best possible case scenario is that Trump is all bark and no bite when it comes to something like this, but he's consistently shown us he's crazy and egotistical enough to do this, and he has enough of the federal government as his back to make it more than "Just a crazy old man stamping his feet." The Supreme Court won't enforce it, the Senate won't enforce it, the FBI won't enforce it, etc. Don't underestimate what he might do, because he has consistently shown us that he will go to absolutely any and all lengths to advance his interests and save himself.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, we did. And he was impeached by the House and tried by the Senate. As the Constitution mandates. The Constitution does NOT mandate he be removed from office for what he did. That's entirely the Senate's decision.

Trump was impeached for one thing. He's committed multiple other impeachable offenses. The Constitution "mandating" that he be impeached for them hasn't helped one bit. You sound as though the lack of impeachment means those crimes didn't happen. They did, and he got away with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I wonder how many people referencing the constitution and chain of command have read up on the buisness plot?

its naive to not even acknowledge like minded powerful people consider options like this even if it ultimately never gets enacted

never let a good crisis go to waste

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
When did I ever say the Constitution mandates his removal? I just said he continues to violate the constitution.

I mean, he doesn't have to do much to remain in power. I suspect the Secret Service agents aren't going to be the ones to make such a rash decision as to shoot a former President in that minute or even necessarily decide the fate of our Democracy unless they just personally hate him or fear his rule that much. Plus, if Trump pulls some crazy shit and starts screaming about rigged elections and coups from the Democrats and then has his compromised Supreme Court hand down a decision, things get a lot more bleak and frightening.

The best possible case scenario is that Trump is all bark and no bite when it comes to something like this, but he's consistently shown us he's crazy and egotistical enough to do this, and he has enough of the federal government as his back to make it more than "Just a crazy old man stamping his feet." The Supreme Court won't enforce it, the Senate won't enforce it, the FBI won't enforce it, etc. Don't underestimate what he might do, because he has consistently shown us that he will go to absolutely any and all lengths to advance his interests and save himself.
He would have to do everything to remain in power. He has no authority after 1/20/21. The Executive branch would no longer be under his command. No one will listen to "orders" he gives, no one will care what tantrum he throws. Again, he's just not the President anymore, and if he physically refuses to leave the White House, the USSS will just drag him out, because he has no authority to be there.

Someone needs to actually articulate how mechanically Trump would remain in office past that date, because so far no one has been able to do so.
I wonder how many people referencing the constitution and chain of command have read up on the buisness plot?

its naive to not even acknowledge like minded powerful people consider options like this even if it ultimately never gets enacted

never let a good crisis go to waste
Crazy people make baseless plans that will never work all the time. You can't say this government can be overthrown because in the past at some point some people wanted to do it. So what if they wanted to? They didn't, they didn't even try.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying, but these types of posts dismissing those concerned about November just reminds me of posters during the Mueller investigation. Some posters kept saying similar things like how Barr couldn't prevent the report from coming out, or manipulate the information or whatever, and teeechnically they were correct but Barr still muddied the waters with his summary, intentionally released the whole report as opposed to the summary to make it harder for people to parse, killed the investigation before it was done, hamstrung Mueller during his deposition and then during that time actively suppressed even worse things from coming out in regards to Ukraine. So yeah, he didn't technically break any laws, but he tried to mask as much fuckery as he could and the posters who got hung up on the specifics of how he did it just looked naive.

I'm sorry, but this is a crock and I'm a bit tired of seeing people post sentiments similar to this. When you make a statement of anything, either you can provide reason and/or explanation of why you feel a certain way. "I just feel that way" doesn't cut it. Hell, you learn this in a basic philosophy class. If all you can offer is emotional arguments based on how you feel, you've made a poor argument. Feel how you like, but no one should have to feign respect for such arguments.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Trump was impeached for one thing. He's committed multiple other impeachable offenses. The Constitution "mandating" that he be impeached for them hasn't helped one bit. You sound as though the lack of impeachment means those crimes didn't happen. They did, and he got away with them.
What are these other offenses?

And, again, the only remediation for those offenses is impeachment by the House and trial by the Senate. The Senate can then make whatever decision they want.

But his term of office is constitutionally limited. He is just not President anymore on 1/20/21. No one has to do anything to make that the case, and no one has the power to stop it. It just happens.