• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is not going to stage a coup

but responding "it would be illegal" to people saying he is going to stage a coup is silly

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really need to take a break from Era for a while and go outside. Some of the posts in here sound unhealthily delusional.

Like, good grief.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. The constitution is used like toilet paper for Trump and the GOP. These rules don't matter anymore.

Well, the American people may seem lazy and apathetic most of the time, but when they get worked up about something they can make you run out of toilet paper in a hurry!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Really wish you'd stop talking out of your ass. The military isn't a monolith and if they don't have someone in charge they don't like they'll find someone else to do it. We've always seen it happen with eddie gallagher.
I'm sorry, I'm the one talking out of my ass?

Trump had every legal authority to act as he did with Gallagher. It was inappropriate and wrong, but not illegal. Trump does not have the legal authority to overthrow this nation's government.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
My concern here is targeted travel advisories or even quarantines aimed at Democratic areas to suppress the vote. It sounds paranoid but would you really put it past them at this point? And it would play directly into his liberal cities = diseased cesspools rhetoric.

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is, if he did so, who would stop him? The house might try, but the courts seem disinterested in checking the executive. The senate sure as fuck won't lift a finger.
Once again, it's not an issue of who would STOP him. It's who would ENFORCE it. He can talk about it until he's blue in the face, but until every single state official (Democrats included) has a brain aneurysm and says, "Gee sir, you're right, lets do that!" it's not happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
My concern here is targeted travel advisories or even quarantines aimed at Democratic areas to suppress the vote. It sounds paranoid but would you really put it past them at this point? And it would play directly into his liberal cities = diseased cesspools rhetoric.
when people in power have proven to be as both cravenly evil and disorganized as the trump admin i think it's justifiable paranoia

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Once again, it's not an issue of who would STOP him. It's who would ENFORCE it. He can talk about it until he's blue in the face, but until every single state official (Democrats included) has a brain aneurysm and says, "Gee sir, you're right, lets do that!" it's not happening.

Exactly!

What is the mechanism for Trump to accomplish this? Nobody who is entertaining these paranoid fantasies can explain that question.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
This is the dumbest conspiracy theory ever. It really is. It's embarrassing that people really try and float this shit.

There's being a negative person, and then there's just silly tinfoil hat territory. And "Trumps gonna cancel elections and have power forever!" is definitely in the tinfoil area.

All those years of making fun of conservative nutbags and their "King Obama won't ever give up the throne" nonsense; only to see this crap spring to life in 2020 SMH

I'm always mindful of this stuff and the discourse has been getting there for some time now. No surprise sadly.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, I'm the one talking out of my ass?

Trump had every legal authority to act as he did with Gallagher. It was inappropriate and wrong, but not illegal. Trump does not have the legal authority to overthrow this nation's government.
Because, from your post, you're acting as though the Military is pre-depositioned to perform what is essentially a coup. Its a fantasy scenario and not something that would ever happen because the power structure that exists within the military is subserviant to the executive branch. Its more likely whatever scenario happens will be through the SCOTUS because Congress will be dead locked thanks to our senate unless something happens to absolutely tank Trump's favorability which so far COVID-19 hasn't.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Because, from your post, you're acting as though the Military is pre-depositioned to perform what is essentially a coup. Its a fantasy scenario and not something that would ever happen because the power structure that exists within the military is subserviant to the executive branch. Its more likely whatever scenario happens will be through the SCOTUS because Congress will be dead locked thanks to our senate unless something happens to absolutely tank Trump's favorability which so far COVID-19 hasn't.
You seem to be reading things backwards.

I'm not proposing the military would launch a coup, I'm saying the military would in no way back a coup launched by Trump.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really need to take a break from Era for a while and go outside. Some of the posts in here sound unhealthily delusional.

Like, good grief.

I think the problem is that they can't go outside due to coronavirus.

But definitely, some people need to find healthier outlets than this paranoia.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. The constitution is used like toilet paper for Trump and the GOP. These rules don't matter anymore.

I think Americans care a bit too much about what the Constitution says. They're not some divine creed handed down to enlightened men, they're just laws made by men who lived centuries ago that have required updating and amending ever since.

If Trump wants to break those laws, he will and the government will support him. They're okay with everything else he's done, so why would they stop him saying he wants to postpone elections until the pandemic is over and then he ensures it never is?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And even beyond this, that anyone thinks the American military is going to back a coup over the powers that be, the ones that sign their paycheck is just..lol.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people sound like some brain worms-ridden Grandmas fearing Obama's rise to Emperor on 2012-era Facebook. Get a fucking grip.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think Americans care a bit too much about what the Constitution says. They're not some divine creed handed down to enlightened men, they're just laws made by men who lived centuries ago that have required updating and amending ever since.

If Trump wants to break those laws, he will and the government will support him. They're okay with everything else he's done, so why would they stop him saying he wants to postpone elections until the pandemic is over and then he ensures it never is?
Again, this line of thinking is based on the mistaken idea that the rule of law has ended.

It hasn't. Everything listed so far in this thread as an example of Trump ignoring the Constitution and legality have not, in fact, been against the law.

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
Just playing devil's advocate (not that I believe remotely for a minute that the election will be delayed/canceled) but wouldn't Nancy Pelosi need to be re-elected to Congress in order to assume the role of POTUS

Speaker of the House is a separate position from a Congressperson. She doesn't even need to be a member of the house, and it has no fixed term defined by the Constitution.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Congress can hold elections but it's up to the states to run them. If the states say fuck you, what is Congress gonna do?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
You seem to be reading things backwards.

I'm not proposing the military would launch a coup, I'm saying the military would in no way back a coup launched by Trump.
The problem is we don't know if they would. Because as far as we've seen the military has gone along with much of what Trump has done and hasn't tried to resist it. (Once again see Eddie Gallagher.). The military follow its chain of command and with the way its promotion mechanisms are handled there is no reason why a military would deny an order from Trump whether lawful or unlawful.

If there's an attempt to delay this it'll be 100% determined by the SCOTUS and so far I have no hope that norms will be held to thanks to the current republicans in office. Nevermind the amount of work that has to be spend in the next year to get elections ready.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing people seem to ignore is he wasn't elected indefinitely til an election says otherwise, he was elected for four years. That's the constitutional term. His term ends in January 2021. If there's no election to win another term he just ceases to be president.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The problem is we don't know if they would. Because as far as we've seen the military has gone along with much of what Trump has done and hasn't tried to resist it. (Once again see Eddie Gallagher.). The military follow its chain of command and with the way its promotion mechanisms are handled there is no reason why a military would deny an order from Trump whether lawful or unlawful.

If there's an attempt to delay this it'll be 100% determined by the SCOTUS and so far I have no hope that norms will be held to thanks to the current republicans in office. Nevermind the amount of work that has to be spend in the next year to get elections ready.
Again, what Trump did with Gallagher is legal. Supporting a coup would be illegal.

They are not comparable situations.

Saying the military would support Trump just because is baseless.

This is not a rational fear.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Then the electoral college will meet and only the states present will vote on the Presidency.
86f.gif

You know....that might not be the worst thing.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I dunno what people get out of attacking the concerns of progressives when there's an actual enemy out there perfectly fine with letting people die. It just feels like a vector for people to be able to say "progressives are as bad as republicans" without having to worry about being called out for "both sides"ing.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
That's not going to stop him from trying if the country is still a mess come September or October. If it's controlled by Congress, they'll happily change the law if he tells them to.

The term limits would be more of a challenge since they're directly part of the constitution, but I'm sure he'll be happy to try the ol' Palpatine "Emergency Powers" trick.
Yes I'm sure the Democratic House will just do as Trump says.
Just playing devil's advocate (not that I believe remotely for a minute that the election will be delayed/canceled) but wouldn't Nancy Pelosi need to be re-elected to Congress in order to assume the role of POTUS
For her House seat, not her Speakership. Anyone can be elected Speaker technically, you don't have to be a member of congress.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Since people have been bringing this up in multiple threads, there is no mechanism for Trump to delay elections.

Federal voting falls under Congress.

Also, US presidents and vice-president have set terms.

If the election was vastly delayed for some reason, Trump would not stay President. His term would expire, the rules of succession would come into play, and the presidency would pass to the Speaker of the House.

Yes. If all goes to shit and Nov elections are called off, the US will end up with President Pelosi.

You are right, except for the last point. Pelosi would not be president, as the House of Representatives term would end just as the President's term would (working under the assumption that no election is held anywhere in the states). With no representatives, means there is no speaker. Each state can send emergency delegates, but I don't know what kind of timetable that would require under these circumstances to get them there and elect a new speaker, and each state also handles that in different ways. So it would then fall to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate who is currently Chuck Grassley(ew). The Pro Tem is elected by the Senate, but traditionally goes to the longest serving member of the majority party. With no elections that would leave 33 Democratic and 30 Republican senators. Patrick Leahy is not up for reelection this year, so he would become the next President of the United States of America.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The biggest thing people seem to ignore is he wasn't elected indefinitely til an election says otherwise, he was elected for four years. That's the constitutional term. His term ends in January 2021. If there's no election to win another term he just ceases to be president.
Yep.
I did and see what you guys are saying but I still expect him to soft float something if he gets the chance
He probably will, but again, so what? He floats impossible nonsense all the time and his staff just ignores him.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You are right, except for the last point. Pelosi would not be president, as the House of Representatives term would end just as the President's term would (working under the assumption that no election is held anywhere in the states). With no representatives, means there is no speaker. Each state can send emergency delegates, but I don't know what kind of timetable that would require under these circumstances to get them there and elect a new speaker, and each state also handles that in different ways. So it would then fall to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate who is currently Chuck Grassley(ew). The Pro Tem is elected by the Senate, but traditionally goes to the longest serving member of the majority party. With no elections that would leave 33 Democratic and 30 Republican senators. Patrick Leahy is not up for reelection this year, so he would become the next President of the United States of America.
Pelosi would not stop being Speaker until the House elects a new one. She doesn't need to remain a sitting member of the House, so her House term expiring is irrelevant.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what people get out of attacking the concerns of progressives when there's an actual enemy out there perfectly fine with letting people die. It just feels like a vector for people to be able to say "progressives are as bad as republicans" without having to worry about being called out for "both sides"ing.
Fear mongering isn't "concerns of progressives". This is literally "King Obama!!1!" bullshit in 2020.
I did and see what you guys are saying but I still expect him to soft float something if he gets the chance
Oh, if this virus doesn't subside, he'll certainly float these ideals publicly. But then all that would happen is Hannity and Fox & Friends would say how good of idea it is, while every Governor the country will gleefully dunk on Trump by posting their memo response to Trump's "tyrannical" rhetoric, and score easy PR brownie points.

Literally nothing in their favor to concede.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
This is as stupid and unfounded a fear as republicans who thought Obama would try to stay in power forever.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Christ, there are STILL people here that think he can delay or ignore the election?

And how are there still people who don't understand that the military isn't the president's personal militia. They are the military of the US government, not the president - and it operates under the law and constitution. The president is "commander in chief", but the military isn't his.

Last edited:

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I find it cute so many think rules and laws matter to people in power

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

He's already floating this idea funnily enough.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
If this pandemic worsens, wouldn't we just do mail in ballots like what Washington State did for the primaries?