• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
well it looks like the new thread is going to end up exactly like the original incarnation of this thread complete with commentary

Malakiax

Oct 25, 2017
If the notification thread is just for new free games.
Why are there 3 posts saying "thank you"?
I'm confused.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy to see Loop Hero. I've been curious about it, but wasn't sure if it was my jam. Gonna try it out this evening.

Hopefully the new thread solution can work out in everyone's favor. RIP for the immediate derails though.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
User banned (1 month): Hostility. Backseat moderation. Multiple prior bans for the same behavior.
well it looks like the new thread is going to end up exactly like the original incarnation of this thread complete with commentary
Lmao at the "thank you" posts in the new thread
So far, 5 posts, 3 of them meta. That's 60% noise. This thread had less noise before some complained.
If the notification thread is just for new free games.
Why are there 3 posts saying "thank you"?
I'm confused.
I'd say a 3rd just for thank yous and a 4th for meta discussion about the previous 3 threads.
I think it's trolling tbh lol
But congrats it's ruined, I'll stick to Discord notifications
I think we need a thread for speculation on upcoming free releases and another for brainstorming possible new threads as well.
Oh my fucking god. You guys really don't realize how your inane, unbearable, endless sarcastic metacommentary (after I explicitly asked you all to knock it off like three times or more, even) is fucking up this thread so much more than a couple "thank you" are in the other thread?

This thread is indeed ruined and will continue to be ruined until you shut the everliving fuck up already about how very ruined it is. There's literally no end to this ungrateful, entitled whining, no matter what solution the rest of us try to come up that works for the most people. I'm giving this a day or two to settle, and if you all keep this up, I'm asking a mod to lock both threads and let any of you geniuses sort it all out. I'm done with this monumental bullshit.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god. You guys really don't realize how your inane, unbearable, endless sarcastic metacommentary (after I explicitly asked you all to knock it off like three times or more, even) s fucking up this thread so much more than a couple "thank you" are in the other thread?

This thread is indeed ruined and will continue to be ruined until you shut the everliving fuck up already about how very ruined it is. There's literally no end to your ungrateful, entitled whining no matter how much the rest of us try to come up with a solution that works for most people. I'm giving this a day or two to settle, and if you all keep this up, I'm asking a mod to lock both threads and let someone smarter sort it all out. I'm done with it.
jeez dude, I figured this thread would be OK for chatter since that was the whole point of creating a second one. relax. you can't make big changes to the way the threads work and demand that nobody comment on how it's working. it's just an observation that maybe the guidelines for the other thread aren't clear enough. Telling people how to subscribe to a thread without posting would probably be good, too. Get a mod to put "Please only post if you are sharing a game deal. Commentary goes in :other thread:. You can subscribe to the thread by clicking "watch"" or something like that near the post reply box.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god. You guys really don't realize how your inane, unbearable, endless sarcastic metacommentary (after I explicitly asked you all to knock it off like three times or more, even) is fucking up this thread so much more than a couple "thank you" are in the other thread?

This thread is indeed ruined and will continue to be ruined until you shut the everliving fuck up already about how very ruined it is. There's literally no end to this ungrateful, entitled whining, no matter what solution the rest of us try to come up that works for the most people. I'm giving this a day or two to settle, and if you all keep this up, I'm asking a mod to lock both threads and let any of you geniuses sort it all out. I'm done with this monumental bullshit.

I get you are frustrated, but our hostility is completely unnecessary, and so was trying to force silencd right away. People would have moved on naturally soon enough.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling across multiple threads

Thank you

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

The other thread will likely settle down, regardless of whether the thank you are genuine people getting it out of their system or trolls. There's always some turbulence with a change like this and I imagine after a couple days people will mostly just stick with which ever thread better suits them (or neither and use the Discord or whatever).

If not, can't blame you for stepping away. I got exhausted by forum nonsense and drama and took a roughly two-year break. Since coming back I do way more skimming for news, deals etc. than posting, mostly stick to OTs about games I'm playing, for the most part stay about of arguments/debates/serious discussions and make heavy use of ignore thread and user features to aid in that. Hell, I don't even think I've started a thread anywhere since I got a bit back into forums. It was good for my mental health to step away and then stay way less engaged or invested since getting back online more. They're useful sources of information, can have some fun chats in some positive threads, but best to scale back and step away when any frustration or negative emotions are emerging IMO.

Anyway, followed the new thread and throwing this one on ignore. I'll begrudgingly set up notifications for that Discord (don't really like that app/service) if the new threads fails to catch on/get all the free game posts. Thanks for your work on these threads!

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I was mostly talking about this thread though, as you can see many people hate the idea of splitting because it's not their way.

And I know it's important to you as the OP but you really shouldn't let it get to you.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why there's constant overreactions to everything.

Also it's not like the thread needs constant maintainance. People post games they know are free. 900+ followers of the thread pop in grab it or ignore it. A handful would post a couple of messages.

The last 2 or 3 pages worth of crap is of your own making tbh. Probably for the best they get locked and someone else just recreates the thread so you don't have to worry about it

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021

I feel ditching the original plan of following the poll results has led to the worst of both worlds. We have the new thread on life support and getting trolled, and the floodgates opened on this thread. Odds are because now discussion is allowed this thread will keep getting bumped and have increased visibility over the new one, meaning free game offers will get split and we'll have to click both threads to see them all.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017

Sorry OP, I didn't mean anything by my comment.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Next Switch game in the chain:
www.nintendo.com

Drag Racing Rivals for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Drag Racing Rivals and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.
Has anybody actually played these free games? I've been redeeming them but they all kind of seem like shovelware so far. I hope they have something good coming. When they did it last year I think Mana Spark was pretty good.

Edit: Just realized Mana Spark was from a different company... welp.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Gr8one Do you need to be a Switch Online Sub to get those freebie? It shows I have to pay 10€ to get the game you shared. :/

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Gr8one Do you need to be a Switch Online Sub to get those freebie? It shows I have to pay 10€ to get the game you shared. :/
No. It's a chain of free games from the publisher that started on December 1st. You had to redeem the free games each day to keep the free game chain going. So if you missed one day you won't be able to get any of the free games sadly.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

lmao

also, not gonna say bad things about the op that just got banned but they were certainly instigating a lot of this

Hopefully we can just go back to normal now and not constantly complain about posts on a thread.

www.epicgames.com

Second Extinction™ | Download and Buy Today - Epic Games Store

Download and play Second Extinction™ at the Epic Games Store. Check for platform availability and price!

I have nothing useful to contribute to the last few pages, other than: this thread's been a great resource for well over two years, and I'm sure it can remain as such.

not working for me right now on mobile. Epic must be getting hammered this whole week

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's a chain of free games from the publisher that started on December 1st. You had to redeem the free games each day to keep the free game chain going. So if you missed one day you won't be able to get any of the free games sadly.

Thanks for the informations buddy. 🙏

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yes, I don't see why this thread can't carry on as usual. Those who don't want to discuss can curate the other thread for themselves.
Indeed.

EGS failing when trying to redeem Second Extinction. I'll try later. It's probably not my cup of tea anyway:

"Solo players beware: Second Extinction is designed with squads in mind."

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody actually played these free games? I've been redeeming them but they all kind of seem like shovelware so far. I hope they have something good coming. When they did it last year I think Mana Spark was pretty good.

Edit: Just realized Mana Spark was from a different company... welp.
Apparently they aren't that great, but I haven't tried any of them myself. Just redeeming in case there is a gem among the 20 games lol

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally.

Anyway... I really should play second extinction sometime. I've had it installed from game pass for a while but I've heard very mixed things. No reason not to get it as the freebie today though
I played through the missions with a friend and we had a good time. It's a fun little romp, not really sure of the longevity, but it is still early access, I think.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasn't for some of the discussion, there would've been games I would've blindly added to my account or whatever, and they could've been from shit head devs and whatnot.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
Come for the free games, stay for the meta-discussions entertainment.

On-topic: Second Extinction? I think this the first time Epic has given away an Early Access game for its Christmas Holiday giveaway. Not that it changes much, it all goes in the backlog, lol ;)