• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There's lots of bargain forums, posts, threads. I like knowing when I see this thread pop up in my notifications, it's for a good reason. I vote no, but this is no cheerocracy ;)

Totally fair. I just thought "almost free" was worth bringing up, but it's not worth a whole thread, but deals threads are for your typical deal and not usually worth wading through.

Like, I need to set money aside if I'm going to go through a deals thread. Not a lot but obviously some. But if something is one dollar? That's something that's impossible to not be able to do in a way that other deals aren't like at all.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I just felt like something being a dollar is pretty different than other kinds of sales, and idk of a better home.

That said wasn't trying to derail. Sorry guys.

Aug 9, 2018
I just felt like something being a dollar is pretty different than other kinds of sales, and idk of a better home.

That said wasn't trying to derail. Sorry guys.
I agree with this sentiment. Specially in cases of, as you said, $20-$60 priced games originally. I don't see why you can't create a separate thread for it though, name it like "I'd Buy that for a Dollar! ...Or Two!" :p

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I would say let's try it on for a month or two, I don't expect many games to fit the bill to be honest, so if it happens once a month I see no reason not to allow it. If escallates way beyond that we can still disallow it again. 😊

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
We've got a good thing going on here... Why ruin it!!!!??? Let's not. And for that reason I say "no".

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, keep it free. Hell I don't even have payment details on most of these platforms where we're claiming the games.

The"I'd buy that for a Dollar" thread is a good idea though

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have this thread remain about free games. No reason why cheap games can't go in a new thread.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
No almost free stuff. What is "just a bunch of dollars" and hassle free to some people might not be as cheap to people outside the us or not as easy to redeem. The thread as it was previously was perfect

Scottish Sin

Chicken Chaser
Nov 12, 2017
Scotland
I agree with others in that the thread should remain for free stuff only. It'll cluttered things otherwise.

I'm all for a separate thread for those kinds of deals though.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sorry for the bump, but deep sales like the Alien game and others which are probably on PC can be posted in the monthly PC gaming thread:

www.resetera.com

PC Gaming ERA | April 2020 - Twinkle, Twinkle, Little S.T.A.R.S

PC Gaming Threads PC Gaming April 2020 Release Highlights Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - Uzzy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered, a first person shooter developed by Infinity Ward and Beenox, is unsurprisingly a remaster of just the original campaign...

If it's a cheap console game there's probably also a thread for that already, since most sales get their own topic here afaik.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
OK, the majority has spoken. Let's keep the thread strictly "free games only".

I think a thread about games that can be bought for a dollar or two is a fantastic idea, and I would subscribe to it too. Chettlar, why don't you make one? I think a lot of people would get a lot of use out of it, too. If you do, I'll link it in the OP. :)

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

I think a thread about games that can be bought for a dollar or two is a fantastic idea, and I would subscribe to it too. Chettlar, why don't you make one? I think a lot of people would get a lot of use out of it, too. If you do, I'll link it in the OP. :)

Agreed! That would be pretty useful.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017

I support this too!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think it would be, too; as long as the concept is "Games that shouldn't be this cheap but are right now" and not every random game that is only $1 or $2 dollars.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think it would be, too; as long as the concept is "Games that shouldn't be this cheap but are right now" and not every random game that is only $1 or $2 dollars.

I would go even further and estabiish some ground rules, because "games that shouldn't be this cheap" is very subjective. Something like "games that normally cost more than 20$, and are 95% discounted now". But whoever makes the thread can set up their own rules. :)

Sorry for the bump, but deep sales like the Alien game and others which are probably on PC can be posted in the monthly PC gaming thread:

www.resetera.com

PC Gaming ERA | April 2020 - Twinkle, Twinkle, Little S.T.A.R.S

PC Gaming Threads PC Gaming April 2020 Release Highlights Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - Uzzy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered, a first person shooter developed by Infinity Ward and Beenox, is unsurprisingly a remaster of just the original campaign...

If it's a cheap console game there's probably also a thread for that already, since most sales get their own topic here afaik.

Personally I think that there's value in a dedicated "super cheap games" thread because the PC thread is far too active for me to consider subscribing to it (I want to do more than read Era all day :D); and individual threads can easily get overlooked, while a centralized thread that you just subscribe to is harder to miss.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Probably just the site not quite updating yet. Steam usually rolls everything over around noon (CDT), and it's only been a few minutes. I'll check again later.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Someone forgot to take account that Shogun 2 game setup is different than others.

Actual game is implemented as DLC. (To support standalone expansion, Fall of The Samurai).
Free deal contains only DLC and not the launcher. You are only able to claim if you own Fall of the Samurai for now (so you have the launcher).

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Someone forgot to take account that Shogun 2 game setup is different than others.

Actual game is implemented as DLC. (To support standalone expansion, Fall of The Samurai).
Free deal contains only DLC and not the launcher. You are only able to claim if you own Fall of the Samurai for now (so you have the launcher).
Wack

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Prob just a temp error. Their blog post says nothing about needing to own.

Oct 31, 2017
Uh...not free so slightly off topic...

www.humblebundle.com

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE? Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien™, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the...

...but it's literally $2 for one of the best horror games ever made. I greatly encourage buying this.

I went with that and bought the two movie DLC as well ;)

I agree.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Base shogun 2 is not very good imo. You want the Fall of Samurai, that game is so fun. didn't realize they turned that into a separate game. I haven't played it in a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
Base shogun 2 is not very good imo. You want the Fall of Samurai, that game is so fun. didn't realize they turned that into a separate game. I haven't played it in a long time.
Base Shogun 2 is basically a different game altogether, from a battle perspective. 99% of FotS is armstrong guns + line infanty devistating the frankly incompetent AI, while Shogun 2 can be a bit more leanient on army composition, and generally requires a bit more tactics. The actual campaign mechanics aren't majorly different imo, aside from the opportunity to mot have quite as many people declare war on you at the end as the base game. It's worth having/playing both.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
it let me claim shogun 2 now in the uk.

when you search it two listings should come up,i picked the top one without the picture of the samurai and it worked.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
When did Fall of the Samurai become its own game? I was under the impression it was an expansion for years

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

I would totally make one, but I don't feel like I'm consistent enough to maintain it appropriately.

I would go even further and estabiish some ground rules, because "games that shouldn't be this cheap" is very subjective. Something like "games that normally cost more than 20$, and are 95% discounted now". But whoever makes the thread can set up their own rules. :)

Personally I think that there's value in a dedicated "super cheap games" thread because the PC thread is far too active for me to consider subscribing to it (I want to do more than read Era all day :D); and individual threads can easily get overlooked, while a centralized thread that you just subscribe to is harder to miss.

Yeah that was kinda my idea, was like. This is a proper major game like maybe it's an indie game that came out at $30, now normally $20, but for 24 hours it's $1. Or a $60 for $2.

It's not a super common thing so trolling normal sale threads, or sorting things by what is a dollar is not really helpful.

I don't know that I can really keep up with that with a lot of other things going on in life right now, but I would certainly contribute if I came across stuff.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would totally make one, but I don't feel like I'm consistent enough to maintain it appropriately.

Yeah that was kinda my idea, was like. This is a proper major game like maybe it's an indie game that came out at $30, now normally $20, but for 24 hours it's $1. Or a $60 for $2.

It's not a super common thing so trolling normal sale threads, or sorting things by what is a dollar is not really helpful.

I don't know that I can really keep up with that with a lot of other things going on in life right now, but I would certainly contribute if I came across stuff.

The cool thing about these threads is that they maintain themselves. I've not posted a single free game in pages, the community takes care of that on its own. I just mostly thank people. :)

Anyway, if anyone makes such a thread please let me know so I can link it in the OP and viceversa.