• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have €100 already in my PSN wallet, and wanted to top up for the PSN christmas sale to get some PS5 games because I got gifted an Amazon voucher. So I bought another €100 topup for my wallet, went to enter the code... and got greeted by a message that I can't use the code because it would put my wallet over the limit.
So the PSN wallet can't carry €200? Wtf is this? Best thing is it doesn't even tell you what the limit is. And I can't find an option to raise my wallet limit either - help is appreciated.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise that there was a £150 limit until I bought a load of credit earlier this year in anticipation of my PS5. Suddenly wouldn't let me input any more codes and I've been sat on a couple of unused £45 PSN codes every since (in the Notes app on my phone) hoping they don't expire if they're not used within x months or something.

Dunno if there's a specific reason but I don't think other platforms have this limit. Maybe related to hacked accounts/people stealing credit for FIFA mtx or something? Trying to limit damage that can be done?

It's pretty annoying anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Can't raise it, ToS says you can't use the wallet like a bank account, so Sony probably don't want idiots doing that if they were to have an infinite size. Max is 140 GBP, 150 EUR.

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
The limit is 150 bucks afaik.
Thanks. The universe seems to want me to preorder Miles Morales lol.

I didn't realise that there was a £150 limit until I bought a load of credit earlier this year in anticipation of my PS5. Suddenly wouldn't let me input any more codes and I've been sat on a couple of unused £45 PSN codes every since (in the Notes app on my phone) hoping they don't expire if they're not used within x months or something.
My biggest fear is that I sit on the code for 2 months and when I try to redeem it tells me it's either already used or already taken...

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The limit is 150 bucks afaik.
Thanks. The universe seems to want me to preorder Miles Morales lol.

My biggest fear is that I sit on the code for 2 months and when I try to redeem it tells me it's either already used or already taken...
It's not 150
I have 200 USD in my PSN wallet right now
The limit used to be 150 but must have been removed at some point

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Does that mean that there aren't items/bundles/extrafan editions that cost more than 150€? That seems unexpectedly low

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This was my beef with the store. The wallet monetary limit and the item limit. If I recall its 10 items max in your cart at a time. Sucks because it limits you to that amount if you have a coupon code for discount.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was $250, but yeah it probably should tell you or just higher or remove it. 1 of those it's not really a problem until it is things. Never like sitting on a pre-paid.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I found this out one year when I went to put a bunch of PSN credit on my account from birthdays and Christmas gifts.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Nice try OP, I'm not telling you my PSN wallet amount.

tenor.gif

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They should at least make a $1000 at this point to cover the multiple SUPER MEGA ULTRA DELUXE Preorders that are announced per year.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more bothered by the fact that you can't preorder more than one game at a time.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

Dunno if there's a specific reason but I don't think other platforms have this limit. Maybe related to hacked accounts/people stealing credit for FIFA mtx or something? Trying to limit damage that can be done?

It's pretty annoying anyway.
No idea about UK rules but in the US store gift cards don't expire. VISA gift cards that expire, depending on your state and the company holding the funds, can let you retrieve lost funds either by paying a fee or simply having a chat with support.

So don't worry about expirations. Worry about me getting into your notes app ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean you can't buy 3 full priced games (exceeding the limit) at the same time even if using PayPal? Or is this just a Wallet specific thing?

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more bothered by the fact that you can't preorder more than one game at a time.
I'm pretty sure I preordered 2 games at around same time last year that both released months later. Don't know if you can preorder 3 or more though, but maybe this also differs from country to country (as the wallet limit seems to).

Does this mean you can't buy 3 full priced games (exceeding the limit) at the same time even if using PayPal? Or is this just a Wallet specific thing?
Can't imagine it won't work with Paypal or credit card, I guess the restriction applies to the wallet itself.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
In the US it pulls the money immediately, so you can pre-order as much as you want. In Europe I believe they allow refunds, which could limit the number of games you can pre-order at once.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of that thread a long time ago, where the person was using Gamestop Pre-orders as a bank account lol

What? How?

In fairness when I was younger I used to preorder everything. Then the preorders for games I changed my mind about I would cash in towards a game that I did. I worked okay, and if I had a month or so where I was short I could cash in a few preorders for games I wanted less etc. So I suppose I kind of did the same, but I only ever had £100-200 ish in preorders at any one time.

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the region. It's definitely 150 in GBP

Are you sure it's £150? During the summer I believed it was £150 due to Google results and I ended up not being able to redeem a card when I was just over £100. I found out the limit is now only £120 - https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...subscription-voucher-code-on-master-account-/

There is a trick I used to redeem some cards when I hit the limit which was to preorder a game on the store so it uses your credit up which then allows you to add some more credit. You can then cancel the preorder for that game sometime later.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What? How?

In fairness when I was younger I used to preorder everything. Then the preorders for games I changed my mind about I would cash in towards a game that I did. I worked okay, and if I had a month or so where I was short I could cash in a few preorders for games I wanted less etc. So I suppose I kind of did the same, but I only ever had £100-200 ish in preorders at any one time.
Classic
47fc3422-1c63-4fd5-8esjlv.jpeg

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
What? How?

Using the same method you did because they couldnt open a real bank account so stored the money in pre-orders

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Using the same method you did because they couldnt open a real bank account so stored the money in pre-orders

But unless I'm missing something it's not a very good bank account because you can't cash out? At least in the UK you could shift a preorder for store credit, but you couldn't convert it to cash.

I used to like the physicality of having pre-orders like that personally. I had a pin-board in my room and I divided it up into 12 months and then pinned all of the preorder slips into their appropriate section. I'd move them around as games got delayed and whatnot. It was a neat way of tracking all of the games I was interested in.

Shame that none of the digital stores have a system that emulates that. I would love to be able to preorder / wishlist games on Steam or PSN and have them displayed in a calendar view.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
But unless I'm missing something it's not a very good bank account because you can't cash out? At least in the UK you could shift a preorder for store credit, but you couldn't convert it to cash.

I used to like the physicality of having pre-orders like that personally. I had a pin-board in my room and I divided it up into 12 months and then pinned all of the preorder slips into their appropriate section. I'd move them around as games got delayed and whatnot. It was a neat way of tracking all of the games I was interested in.

Shame that none of the digital stores have a system that emulates that. I would love to be able to preorder / wishlist games on Steam or PSN and have them displayed in a calendar view.
I guess at one point you could

kotaku.com

Guy Claims To Be Using GameStop As His Personal Bank

Fed up with real banks, a 4chan user (I know, I know) claims to have shifted his personal finances to somewhere a little closer to home: GameStop.