• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all,

I know it's been said plenty in threads, but I feel like it needs a thread of it's own. Medical professionals are at a serious lack of PPE equipment. We are talking about people who are putting ventilators in confirmed COVID patient's mouths, 6 inches from their face, day in and day out, not having a mask that is functionally protecting them.

The media has been calling medical professionals hero's, but they are just normal human beings that have families and lives as well. It can be dangerous when we start using the term heroes, because it makes them seem mystical - they aren't untouchable, they are at grave risk and are already exhausted. And they have people that love them too and are scared for them. My spouse is a medical professional that will be directly responsible for saving many people with COVID, she has asthma as well, but she isn't going to let that risk stop her from doing the work she committed to doing to save people. These people are, and will continue to be, putting themselves at huge risk to be saving people. People you will likely know and love, maybe your own spouse, kid, or yourself.

I'm asking, begging, you to please search your houses, work benches, whatever and donate any N95masks, surgical gloves, etc. to your local hospitals or medical professionals. If you have access to face shields, PAPRS, etc. - even better. But please don't stick them in a drawer for yourself right now. Reach out to your families and try to get their donations as well.

Also a few comments and thoughts about medical professional right now:

Please don't say "They signed up for this." - No. That is like saying a soldier signed up to be stripped naked and given a BB gun to go fight a war. No one signed up for that. We owe it to these people to give them the best protection while they work to do their best.

On calling medical professionals "heroes" - Please don't let this kind of phrasing allow you to forget their humanity. That they are tired, scared, at risk, want to just watch Parks and Rec at home for a weekend, etc. To me, this is what makes them heroes, but this kind of language often allows us to avoid that.

I know this is hard on all of us right now and so many people, in so many areas need help. Let's keep working to get through this together!

Resources:

Go to GetUsPPE.org for a map of hospitals in need and instructions on where to drop off. There's also instructions for mailing supplies if you don't live near a hospital in need.

If the website is giving you technical issues, go to FindTheMasks.com (same map).

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Have heard of nursing homes asking their employees to make their own PPE at home because there isn't nearly enough available. (Places that are also dealing with outbreaks of flu/H1N1.)

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Shit is definitely getting dire right now. I got a random Facebook message a couple days ago from a girl I went to high school with 20+ years ago who runs a nursing home now. She was asking if I had any of this stuff or knew anyone who might. When you're Facebook blasting pretty much everyone you've ever met, you know things are bad. I was already worried about my father, who is 65 and had a double lung transplant last year, because he's only got a couple dozen masks himself and he's not supposed to leave the house without wearing one (he's not leaving the house other than for walks around his neighborhood right now, but still).

Please don't say "They signed up for this."
I don't think I want to know what kind of monster would actually think this.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if you have unopened gloves and sealed masks, you can take them to your local hospital and they'll thank you for it.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Assuming we don't have any of this equipment (I definitely don't), what are some other options available for me to help? I know the situation is dire, but is there a charity I can donate to? Is there a store I can purchase from and forward them to the hospital?

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the PPE shortage, this might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/fog85m/stanford_researchers_confirm_n95_masks_can_be/

Assuming we don't have any of this equipment (I definitely don't), what are some other options available for me to help? I know the situation is dire, but is there a charity I can donate to? Is there a store I can purchase from and forward them to the hospital?
If you have access to a sewing machine and you know how to sew (or want to learn), there are a lot of places that will give you material so you can make masks for hospitals.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Thank you for making this thread.

I'm a fellow in a university hospital, and although our local area hasn't been relatively hit as hard compared to New York and Michigan yet, we're still running into issues as far as having adequate N95's and gowns already. I feel like our area is still in the early stages of this pandemic, so those shortages will probably worsen over the next few weeks.

If you have any unopened PPE that can be used at your local hospitals, please donate and help us out. We need all the help that we can get.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There are a huge number of companies that are starting to pivot their product to help and are taking donations. This is just one example: https://lightningkayaks.com/products/face-shield-donation

If you have a 3D printer there are guides online to help print the parts: https://guides.roguefitness.com/Gui...68.1922080905.1585331695-690000465.1585331695

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They're taking donations here, although I gather the situation isn't as dire as it is in the US and other places:

It is important to understand that we currently have a sufficient inventory of PPE for staff. While we are not actively asking for donations of PPEs, due to the large volume of offers we are receiving unsolicited, we have created a single point of contact.

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of handmade masks, though I have seen many people putting them together. I understand that due to variations in fabric and overall construction they're questionable at best and are essentially a last resort compared to commercially made masks. Having said that, they are better than nothing.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
My wife is a nurse. They're being asked to use some PPE (masks, etc) for a week instead of their intended single use purpose sue to the limited supply.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I found two N95 masks out in my toolbox the other day. They were for the crazy PNW wildfire smoke a couple summers ago. Unfortunately they have both been used or I would donate them.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm a pharmacy technician at a hospital, and it makes me sick that our people that order stuff are actually hoarding PPE, drugs, anything we can. Other hospitals be damned, as long as we have ours. And then we have employees that are being very wasteful of it as well. A lot of people that work in the ER are using double gloves, double gowns, double facemasks when normally they wouldn't.

Everyone is scared right now. A nurse just got fired for stealing PPE.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is what many medical professionals are doing ... but without most or any of the PPE equipment they have:

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody got a UV light for me to sanitize my n95 I'm supposed to be reusing?

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I get kind of pissed off when I see normal people wearing these are grocery stores for this reason. Obviously I know there's probably some legitimate use cases (people at risk) but I am betting a majority of people wearing these don't need them.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Literally doctors on ventilators due to not enough PPE but random dipshits wearing masks walking around their neighborhood

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
This is serious shit. These people need all they help they can get. I'm going to search my garage this afternoon, i know i have a face shield in there somewhere.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Literally doctors on ventilators due to not enough PPE but random dipshits wearing masks walking around their neighborhood

And someone had the nerve to ask me why I didn't wear a mask.

Probably because I could avoid this shit by sitting my ass at home or staying six feet away from other people. Docs don't have that luxury.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is what many medical professionals are doing ... but without most or any of the PPE equipment they have:

Thank you for this. Really puts things into perspective regarding the margins of errors these medical professionals are working with.

I have to wonder though, would opting to use fire-fighting apparatuses, specifically, facemask + O2 tanks (which are generally good for 20 mins under normal breathing conditions and the new alloy makes them comparatively light now), underneath that volumnous outer cover (as shown in the vid) be another alternative.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for this. Really puts things into perspective regarding the margins of errors these medical professionals are working with.

I have to wonder though, would opting to use fire-fighting apparatuses, specifically, facemask + O2 tanks (which are generally good for 20 mins under normal breathing conditions and the new alloy makes them comparatively light now), underneath that volumnous outer cover (as shown in the vid) be another alternative.

They very well might. I know a lot use PAPRs which are similar.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. Just dropped a msg to a family I know where the husband works in the ER and the wife is part of a different hospitals board seeing how they are doing and what needs they may have.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
PAPRs are good for many circumstances but their use are not a good idea in certain situations such as surgical areas. The problem is that the positive pressure air flow generates a lot of air movement, which means you're blowing potentially contaminated air around you. In areas where you may be screening patients outside, they are perfect for the job.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have good resources for DIY equipment designs that can be manufactured at home and donated?

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My wife's hospital is not letting nurses wear n95 masks unless doing incubation on covid patients or treating other airborne diseases. If they are caught wearing them, they can be fired for insubordination. As much as they are pissed about that rule, the reality is that there isn't enough n95 masks to go around.

her hospital is just now seeing a surge of covid patients where it is all hands on deck. Yes the situation is dire. People really have no idea how bad it's getting in the hospitals.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Just to emphasize the severity of the situation, N-95s are known to be for one time use. Extended use is possible, but it carries increasing risk. In the absolute best case scenario where you have taken exceptional care of the mask, the mask structure begins to be compromised in small ways as you put it on and take it off. That face seal leakage will result in unwanted exposure, and the mask will provide a small fraction of the desired protection.

N-95 masks usually use surface charged fibers to "grab" particles and so forth. Sweat, skin oil, and moisture from your breath will slowly remove the charged properties of the mask, allowing for penetration to occur.

NIOSH did a study and it boils down to N-95s being good for up to 5 times of donning/doffing the mask before filtering efficiency begins to be compromised. Not 5 weeks or 5 days, securing the mask on your face 5 times. That is best case.

Long story short, health care workers desperately need more N-95 masks. Reuse is a last resort that carries significant risks, and we're going to lose a lot of health care workers to COVID-19 if they don't get the masks they need.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, I have these anti-viral face masks that I bought years ago. Curad is the brand. I have no intention of using them (I only bought them to cover up a face injury I had). Should I donate them somehow? Would they even be helpful?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
No instructions or resources?

Go to GetUsPPE.org for a map of hospitals in need and instructions on where to drop off. There's also instructions for mailing supplies if you don't live near a hospital in need.

If the website is giving you technical issues, go to FindTheMasks.com (same map).

OP
OP

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No instructions or resources?

Thank you. I'll add to the OP. I was working and wasn't aware of those links.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I have a box of the regular level 1 non-N95 masks. Does anyone know if they can use it?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I have a box of latex gloves that I use when I occasionally work on cars, but it has been opened, so I assume that's a no-go.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I have these anti-viral face masks that I bought years ago. Curad is the brand. I have no intention of using them (I only bought them to cover up a face injury I had). Should I donate them somehow? Would they even be helpful?
I have a box of the regular level 1 non-N95 masks. Does anyone know if they can use it?
Several hospitals in my area list "surgical masks" in addition to N95 masks as being in short supply, so they are probably useful in some capacity whether they're N95 or not. I've got a few anti-viral flu masks that I'm donating. Check the hospitals near you: GetUsPPE.org.

Just keep in mind that some masks "expire," so if you bought them a while ago then maybe put the masks in a bag with a note mentioning they're X years old.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor in Sweden, we've got the same problem here. Am off to buy plastic slides, speaker insulation foam and elastic bands to make DIY face shields tomorrow.

Please help your local medical professionals if you can.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Why in the world are you mad at people trying to protect themselves & their families? Do you assume they have tons of masks at their home. I have one mask that I hope protects me when I have to venture out into public. I'm sure most people are in the same boat. Be mad a Trump for not ramping up production.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Why in the world are you mad at people trying to protect themselves & their families? Do you assume they have tons of masks at their home. I have one mask that I hope protects me when I have to venture out into public. I'm sure most people are in the same boat. Be mad a Trump for not ramping up production.

because the family can sit their ass home, whereas a doctor or nurse is exposed to dozens of sick patients per shift without that option