• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh I was talking about Atmos in Gears 5 not in Journey.

My advice to OP was just to put the game in stereo like 2 or 3 posts above yours.

My point was why PC gamers are more likely to spend the big bucks on a good monitor rather than a big surround sound system, cuz Headphone sound is usually actually better for gaming than Surround Sound from a bang for buck perspective....and IMO all round.

Granted I havent tried Atmos on a full fat Atmos Surround Sound System but I had a pretty expensive 7.2 kit before going to headphone land, and headphone land has impressed me more.

If youve got both a decent pair of Headphones and a surround sound system do the test yourself.
Download the atmos trial, load up a game with atmos support and try it out.
Youll be converted to believing in Atmos for Headphones....its game changing.

I can certainly understand preferring headphones over a 5.1 setup, but "just put it in stereo" is not a good response to this issue IMO. That's like telling the obnoxious 21:9 people who complain about every port that it doesn't match their screen to "just put it in letterboxed".

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
The reponses on this thread are mind blowing to me. I seriously don't want to hear anyone complain about lack of graphic settings, optimizations, and such moving forward that is excusing this here. Just because you don't have a 5.1 setup doesn't mean this isn't a major issue.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The reponses on this thread are mind blowing to me. I seriously don't want to hear anyone complain about lack of graphic settings, optimizations, and such moving forward that is excusing this here. Just because you don't have a 5.1 setup doesn't mean this isn't a major issue.
Ok boomer

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't think people are having issue with your complain, but how it's phrased. Two speakers swapped in an otherwise fine game makes it far from a "garbage port."

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

There is a difference between "Garbage" and "problem with the audio"... labeling a game garbage because of a sound issue is the thing people are responding to.

Nobody is dismissing your problems with the audio, they are commenting on your statement that the game is garbage.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
does the game still stutter if you're using a Ryzen processor? back when digital foundry did a video on it they found that to be a problem

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

im afraid to hear what you have to say on *actual* garbage ports

like MGS2 for PC, or Dark Souls without dsfix.

You don't know what garbage really is.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's been reported months ago. No fix.
Still got two questions that went unanswered.

Those take about 5 minutes to test and 2 minutes to fix in dev time so those get less of a pass.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
also, you don't help to get your point across at all with stuff like this, that borders on ''devs are lazy, it's such a simple fix!"

There needs to be a bare minimum of effort if you are going to release a game on PC. If the audio works on consoles in 5.1 we at the very least should be the same on PC.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely an issue, but people are far more attuned to graphics than audio pretty much across the board. If, say, all the reds were green and vice versa then everyone would be up in arms calling it a shit port, but for audio people are more forgiving for some reason.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A garbage port to me needs to have more than 1 technical problem or limiting factor. This issue you're having can literally be fixed in less than a minute by you. You're right that this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, but this is a little overdramatic.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I guess I would find that annoying if I had played on my AV setup, but I played on a 2-channel setup, so didn't notice.

Instead I just enjoyed playing the game at 4-8 times the resolution of the console versions.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game below is a garbage port. OPPW3 has no working graphical menu, it uses a combination of PS3 and Vita assets instead of PS4 assets, controller support is broke, it uses limited resolution, and has horrible frame times.
32180419444_412c5a125e_o.jpg

Luckily using cheat engine I was able to edit hex in order to force higher resolution and use community made tools to remove fog and increase LOD. But even with this, you can't do anything a out missing graphcal assets. Also Koei Tecmo hasn't released a single patch to this game since its inception.
32984000056_bb3b23cf93_o.jpg

All you have to do to fix your issue is edit a sound profile or switch a cable. The port isn't garbage.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Such utter garbage! Hot, steaming, gutter trash garbage!
OK, I feel this is way more accurate, you weren't hard enough on it OP. The issues you mentioned make it sound like it's downright unplayable, so you really need to drive home the fact that it truly is GARBAGE!

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The defending of this game by those here is astounding.

dude, when you make a game for a console, there is _one_ audio controller or whatever the aprt is on the machine, and a limited number of surround sound setups, from a limited number of vendors. On pc there are literally infinite stupid configurations that whoever made your motherboard, sound card, operating system, speakers, or configurations could have made. It is not weird for bugs like this to creep in, and it's not weird for a studio that was probably contracted for like 6 months or something else ridiculous to port the game to not be able to go back and fix it because exactly one user is losing their mind.

It's an annoying bug, it's not the end of the world.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is an oversight and one that should have been fixed.

Calling the port garbage because of this alone is hyperbolic and reactionary, and that is what people are responding to.

That is truly blowing your mind?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I read that the PC version is missing a nice graphical effect too, it put me off picking it up.

If you're looking for a match for the sand rendering quality of the PS3 or even the PS4 versions of the game, you're out of luck here. Once again, the look of the effect has changed - and like the PS4 version, perhaps it's not necessarily for the better. All told, I still think the original look of the game delivered the best presentation, but relative beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder on this one.

The key takeaway, I think, is that Journey PC doesn't scale much beyond the original console versions in terms of fidelity - the game has been 'brought' to PC, but not necessarily improved for the more capable platform, beyond improved display support. It would be preferable to see a little more effort here, not just in visual effects (let's have motion blur restored!) but also in terms of quality of life options too - an inverted controller toggle would be very welcome, for example. There also appear to be genuine slowdown issues when the game dips beneath 60fps, though bafflingly, it does run at full speed if you add a 30fps cap using external options.
Source

Last edited:

Jibby

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess any ports that contain even just a single bug are now to be labeled garbage, regardless of performance.

Pack it in folks, everything is garbage.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Like, it's an issue that shouldn't exist and you're right to be unhappy about it, but also chill, dude.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The defending of this game by those here is astounding.
Maybe try phrasing the issue like a normal functional human being instead of practically asking for the devs to burn in a fire lmao

You could have made a more reasonable awareness thread, then used the energy you're using to scream and cry in this thread to swap a cable instead

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, sure, the headline is hyperbolic; but what the hell are these responses?
  • Just use headphones
  • Surround sound is obnoxious
  • It's not a problem because other games are worse
This forum is becoming garbage for any kind of discussion these days - especially if it's related to PC gaming.
And that is far from the only problem the port has. Originally, it was completely unplayable with 5.1 audio at all:

And it was stuttering badly on Ryzen systems for no reason.

also, you don't help to get your point across at all with stuff like this, that borders on ''devs are lazy, it's such a simple fix!"
I mean, it should be completely trivial to flip the channels around in a patch, if that's the problem.

dude, when you make a game for a console, there is _one_ audio controller or whatever the aprt is on the machine, and a limited number of surround sound setups, from a limited number of vendors. On pc there are literally infinite stupid configurations […]
That's not how this works. You program to an API; e.g. XAudio2, rather than creating a custom implementation for every specific device.

There is a difference between "Garbage" and "problem with the audio"... labeling a game garbage because of a sound issue is the thing people are responding to.
Nobody is dismissing your problems with the audio, they are commenting on your statement that the game is garbage.
Everyone is.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I've had games where the mix is not coming through the correct speakers and it really, really sucks.

But it in no way instantly turns them into garbage. It drives me nuts that some people can't speak about things in any way other than calling them GOAT or garbage. The words exist, use them and stop being so hyperbolic.

The real journey was the L's you took along the way.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can't they take 10 minutes to properly test the game before releasing it or I dunno take 5 minutes to patch it?
10 minute testing, 5 minute patch...

What manner of nonsense is this? Between this and someone yesterday saying it'd take an afternoon for developers to put an AI Zelda as a companion in BoTW 2 I'm baffled at the level of ignorance people on this gaming forum actually have about gaming.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Not really related to the topic, but I played Journey on the PS4 and during my entire playthrough I didn't see one other person. It made for a very boring and forgettable experience. Can't imagine there's an active audience on the PC.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Not really related to the topic, but I played Journey on the PS4 and during my entire playthrough I didn't see one other person. It made for a very boring and forgettable experience. Can't imagine there's an active audience on the PC.
Journey was a game that was best played at its peak popularity so you could pretty much guarantee a matchup. Solo is just a boring slog and removes the critical emotional element from it.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Journey was a game that was best played at its peak popularity so you could pretty much guarantee a matchup. Solo is just a boring slog and removes the critical emotional element from it.

I unfortunately didn't know anything about the game until I played it. When I finished it, I asked my friend why he enjoyed it so much. I regret not playing it earlier.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dw I'm with u OP. It's a garbage thing not to patch. Luckily on PC there's workarounds unlike on consoles where shit like this is something you have to live with.