• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
This past weekend I finally got around to checking out Journey on PC after loving it on PS3. When I started playing everything seemed fine. Performance wise the game was running great. I just felt like something was off. Then I realized what it was. I have a 5.1 speaker setup for my pc and literally the surround sound mix is flipped so the sounds that should be coming out of the front come out the back and vice versa! I have verified this is a known issue on PC and was never fixed.

How in the world could they release the game in this state and then never bother to fix it????

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Weird, I read this and I expected it to be about performance because performance on my machine was not so great with a Ryzen 7 2700X and a 2080.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the Internet and constant hyperbole? You can say the 5.1 sound profile on Journey is broken and you'll get the point across easier rather than just calling the port garbage.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I was expecting much worse. I know on a lot of PC audio setups you can flip the output so it doesn't even seem too hard to work around.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the warning, that's indeed quite the issue. But from the answers here I guess PC gamers only care about graphics, so messed up sound is a minor thing for them.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can't you temporarily swap the cables of the speakers to make it sound correctly?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait the channel mixing is wrong.....everything else is perfect?

Garbage.
Alittle of a hyperbole dont you think?

P.S Can you use your PC sound driver/controller to change rear and front audio? Im assuming Center and Sub are working fine.

P.P.S If this constitutes a garbage port....i wonder what verbs you would use for some of the messes we have had over the past few years.
There are still games that have shoddy framerates....dont support above 720p resolutions, ZeroPC settings so on and so forth.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the channel mixing is wrong.....everything else is perfect?

Garbage.
Alittle of a hyperbole dont you think?

P.S Can you use your PC sound driver/controller to change rear and front audio? Im assuming Center and Sub are working fine.

P.P.S If this constitutes a garbage port....i wonder what verbs you would use for some of the messes we have had over the past few years.
There are still games that have shoddy framerates....dont support above 720p resolutions, ZeroPC settings so on and so forth.

I call both garbage cause that's what they are.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In The real world:
Garbage = product that doesn't work / or something you throw away.

In gaming:
Garbage = a game that has a minor inconvenience that only bothers 0,0001% of the players.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I call both garbage cause that's what they are.
Can't they take 10 minutes to properly test the game before releasing it or I dunno take 5 minutes to patch it?
4OlJD2F.jpg

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
one hyperbole doesn't justify another. also. a 30fps lock or locked resolution affects everyone, while having a 5.1 setup is not a given.

That's kind of reinforcing what I'm saying though. PC gamers will buy the newest 4k 120Hz displays but are fine with stereo sound.

You are right though that hyperbole gets thrown around way too much in general just to get attention.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of reinforcing what I'm saying though. PC gamers will buy the newest 4k 120Hz displays but are fine with stereo sound.

You are right though that hyperbole gets thrown around way too much in general just to get attention.
but that's not what you said at first, unless i misinterpreted. Not caring about sound is different than caring about 5.1 sound. it's far easier to setup a 4k monitor, than having space to properly do 5.1.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

Good headphones > Obnoxious surround system.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is what happens when y'all keep reaching for the top shelf for descriptors of how a game is flawed

according to era there are great games, good games, okay games, and absolutely terrible games that should never see the light of day. There are no bad games. There are no flawed games. Only the Great, the Good, and the Abysmal.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Thats because a good pair of Headsets is better than any surround system in a similar price range.

Id argue that gaming with Headphones is actually better than gaming with an expensive Surround Setup.
I was a staunch Surround Sound guy once the X360 launched.....spent way more than im willing to disclose building a "good" sound system, twas a good experience I will admit...and movies were amazing with it.
When I moved into an apartment my neighbors didnt like me very much, so I sold it for a decent Soundbar(sub combo) and a pair of "good" headphones.......i get blown away everyday playing with these fuckers....and ive owned them for years.

Any time im doing serious gaming....I put my headphones on...after doing the Atmos trial....im legit thinking of buy the program cuz it changed me.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
What a ridiculous assertion OP.
Shitty bug, complain and get a refund, but a PSA about a garbage port? đź‘€

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
1) Garbage is an overused word and you just made the perfect example.
2) What's up with the "PSA" nonsense? Are you the authority and the only one in the know?

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Thats because a good pair of Headsets is better than any surround system in a similar price range.

Id argue that gaming with Headphones is actually better than gaming with an expensive Surround Setup.
I was a staunch Surround Sound guy once the X360 launched.....spent way more than im willing to disclose building a "good" sound system, twas a good experience I will admit...and movies were amazing with it.
When I moved into an apartment my neighbors didnt like me very much, so I sold it for a decent Soundbar(sub combo) and a pair of "good" headphones.......i get blown away everyday playing with these fuckers....and ive owned them for years.

Any time im doing serious gaming....I put my headphones on...after doing the Atmos trial....im legit thinking of buy the program cuz it changed me.

But doesn't Atmos for headphones use a game's discreet audio channels to create its surround sound, and would thus be affected by this issue too?

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Garbage", what a ridiculous thread, and OP even calls it a PSA as if they're doing a service spreading this hyperbole.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
But doesn't Atmos for headphones use a game's discreet audio channels to create its surround sound, and would thus be affected by this issue too?

Ohh I was talking about Atmos in Gears 5 not in Journey.

My advice to OP was just to put the game in stereo like 2 or 3 posts above yours.

My point was why PC gamers are more likely to spend the big bucks on a good monitor rather than a big surround sound system, cuz Headphone sound is usually actually better for gaming than Surround Sound from a bang for buck perspective....and IMO all round.

Granted I havent tried Atmos on a full fat Atmos Surround Sound System but I had a pretty expensive 7.2 kit before going to headphone land, and headphone land has impressed me more.

If youve got both a decent pair of Headphones and a surround sound system do the test yourself.
Download the atmos trial, load up a game with atmos support and try it out.
Youll be converted to believing in Atmos for Headphones....its game changing.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
As usual, someone who uses the word garbage to describe something here is completely blowing things out of proportion. Seriously, 9 out of 10 times someone uses that word, it's a post that's better left ignored.

Jun 2, 2019
This past weekend I finally got around to checking out Journey on PC after loving it on PS3. When I started playing everything seemed fine. Performance wise the game was running great. I just felt like something was off. Then I realized what it was. I have a 5.1 speaker setup for my pc and literally the surround sound mix is flipped so the sounds that should be coming out of the front come out the back and vice versa! I have verified this is a known issue on PC and was never fixed.

How in the world could they release the game in this state and then never bother to fix it????

You haven't seen a garbage port in your whole life op

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"OH THOSE LAZY DEVS, AMIRIGHTLOL!"

The port is fine, sorry you have this problem but im sure youll recover.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I talked to garbage and it rejects your use of its name and would kindly like an apology, garbage likes it's name to be used in cases where the game is literally unplayable.

I would be curious to know if the issue actually is with the OPs equipment and setup.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So did you get a refund since the game is unplayable? Did you report the bug? Did you do anything that was actually constructive?