• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
FYI this is not a don't buy an OLED display thread. They are great and I would recommend them over any other display everyday of the week. I've had my C8 forever and put hundreds to thousands of hours in various games with no issue. Played MK11 for over 1,000 hours with no issue. Between my wife and I we have played maybe 20 hours of multiplayer in Tetris Effect Connected and the left side of the screen has the gameplay frame burnt in. It makes sense because the frame is bright yellow and never moves. A few automatic pixel refreshes have happened and really haven't diminished the burn in. I'm running a manual refresh now and suspect no matter what it will fade over time because I caught it but I imagine playing the game in multiplayer for hundreds of hours could ruin your display so it would probably be best to be cautious with this title.

Update: The manual pixel refresher diminished what was there and I can only faintly see the outline. The rest should disappear soon. Once again I don't want to scare people away from OLED, I just wanted to point out that the yellow frame from this game in multiplayer in HDR has the potential to damage your set long term if you aren't careful. I haven't experienced issues with any other content.

Last edited:

studknckl

Oct 27, 2017
You can still contact LG about burn-in TV even after warranty they give great support.

I can second this. I have a rectangle in the middle of my screen. My tv is two years past manufacturer's warranty but I contacted LG anyway and they are sending someone to my house to do a "one time courtesy fix". I very much appreciate their customer support being so generous.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's weird. Have many more hours of Tetris Effect on my C8.

Def contact LG, manual pixel refresher doesn't help with burn in.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
This is just out of curiosity but what kind of of brightness settings do you have? Sorry to hear about your burn in.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, I side-eye any game without UI opacity and/or brightness options. Ideally, minimalist UI options should be standard.

I do have to say though, I relegate my puzzle gaming to handhelds nowadays for this very reason. They're the prime offenders when it comes to static elements.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i am super paranoid about stuff like this. i have an extendend warranty for my lg b9, so there is no need to worry. but i cant play games with a static ui for long. i also hate that way to many games have no ui options (like mk 11, where i would love the option to turn everything off).

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
That sucks, sorry OP. It doesn't help that the game looks fucking fantastic on OLED.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I have more time then that put in on C9, no issue.

Edit: This is in reference to multiplayer mode only which I haven't played, my mistake.

Last edited:

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Do the C8's/older LG OLED TV's have the "Logo Luminance Adjustment" and "Screen Shift" options the BX/CX has?

I turned them both on for my BX and thankfully haven't had issues after ~300 hours or so.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I can second this. I have a rectangle in the middle of my screen. My tv is two years past manufacturer's warranty but I contacted LG anyway and they are sending someone to my house to do a "one time courtesy fix". I very much appreciate their customer support being so generous.
How do they fix burn in with a technician visit?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had that on my C7 and they replaced my panel too. It isn't burn in although looks just like it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is why OLED TVs will never be for me. If I'm dropping over a grand on a new display, it should work perfectly with my existing habits/preferences. Yes, the image quality is incredible and far superior to non-OLED, but what's the point if you can't use it however you like? Tetris Effect is a great game. Are you just not going to play it because your expensive screen says no? That's ridiculous.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, C8 has it. I don't think the Logo Luminance thingy works in HDR though anyways.
It definitely does. You can try this yourself by watching football in HDR/HLG, for example, scoreboard area will be dimmed around it and pressing the setting button on the remote covers the left of the screen and the dimmed clouds around UI disappear.

Also super noticeable on FH4 with the skills dial when you slide etc.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I had image retention on my plasma for weeks after a playthrough of Metroid Other M. It went away but I was freaked out for a while.

I've given serious consideration to upgrading to an OLED but frankly I am tired of babying my display and stressing about this. And I never want to deal with the manufacturer after I buy it, even if it's covered.

Oct 27, 2017
Twenty hours total is not that much time for any form of image retention to be that permanent, but like you say maybe it is hdr running too hot on a weaker panel than they use today, good luck in getting it resolved. My plasma had easily-established image retention the first few years that took months to smooth out each time. Now, 8 years later it doesn't matter so much when the color levels have really held together.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Games look great on other types of screens too. Not worth the worry to me since I also have a kid who I don't feel like badgering about how she watches or plays games, and a wife that leaves CNN on all day. Last I checked, Tetris lets you toggle HDR on and off though. Maybe turn it off if you're worried.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
This is why OLED TVs will never be for me. If I'm dropping over a grand on a new display, it should work perfectly with my existing habits/preferences. Yes, the image quality is incredible and far superior to non-OLED, but what's the point if you can't use it however you like? Tetris Effect is a great game. Are you just not going to play it because your expensive screen says no? That's ridiculous.
Yeah I really want to get an OLED but this is what's keeping me away. Many multiplayer games have static UI elements and I'd probably feel nervous every time I booted them up.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I love my lg and game some on it but it's 95% for tv and movies and I have inactivity screen savers kick in after 2 minutes. My game room has a TCL 4K for gaming in my game room yeah my OLED destroys it but I can walk away or game for hours with no worries.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've never been so torn/gunshy about buying a TV. Wanted the 48" CX to replace my aging 43" Sony X800D, but I just can't with the burn-in risk and panel lottery. I also plan on using whatever I replace the Sony with as a second PC monitor. Then I read about panning issues with film material on these new TVs and what you have to do to mitigate it, and it frustrates me even further.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Well, at least it's good that non-OLED options are becoming better than ever. I love my E9, but after I run it into the ground, I don't think I'll buy another OLED.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah I really want to get an OLED but this is what's keeping me away. Many multiplayer games have static UI elements and I'd probably feel nervous every time I booted them up.
If the UI isn't displayed at the maximum nits in yellow then you should be fine. Devs seem to be making their UI elements more OLED friendly so I don't see a cause for concern. This is a case of something being full blast in terms of nits plastered on the screen for hours using the worst possible color. Literally a worst case scenario that I haven't seen in anything else.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like temporary image retention, which isn't that uncommon. 20 hours is not enough to burn in a TV.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
If the UI isn't displayed at the maximum nits in yellow then you should be fine. Devs seem to be making their UI elements more OLED friendly so I don't see a cause for concern. This is a case of something being full blast in terms of nits plastered on the screen for hours using the worst possible color. Literally a worst case scenario that I haven't seen in anything else.
Why is yellow worse than other colors?

Also isn't MK11's entire UI yellow? OP seems to say it hasn't caused issues for him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Why is yellow worse than other colors?

Also isn't MK11's entire UI yellow?
"Burn-in" on OLED is just uneven wear of sub pixels and yellow wears the fastest on LG's panels. Red used to be the problem but LG made changes to the sub pixel structure to fix that. MK11's UI is yellow and the game is displayed in HDR but the UI isn't displayed at max brightness unlike the frame in Tetris which is why the issue cropped up in the first place. Like I said I think this really is an anomaly. I'm guessing the only other place this could be an issue would be backwards compatible titles that use auto-HDR on the X/S. UI elements there will probably be displayed at max luminosity which could potentially cause problems.

Edit: Probably also worth noting the frame is set against a black background meaning the pixels next to it aren't being used or are barely being used meaning the accelerated wear of where the frame is is even worse. Tetris is literally a worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I just won't buy an OLED. I babysat a plasma for years and my paranoia drove my wife crazy. Now we can enjoy content carefree. I have 145 hours into AC Valhalla and didn't think once about the compass or any other HUD elements. I'd love to get those perfect OLED blacks, but not at the expense of my sanity.

studknckl

Oct 27, 2017
How do they fix burn in with a technician visit?
I haven't had my appointment yet but I have heard they replace the panel. Researching on AVS forum it seems like my problem is a manufacturing defect but the phone support logged it as burn in. We will see what happens when the technician shows up but on the phone they implied it would be fixed in my home and not need to be taken elsewhere for repair.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

Same. At least for my gaming room/man cave TV as it's pretty much just video games and ESPN/sports so tons of static images. I'm not a videophile anyway so the OLED benefits are mostly lost on me. I'm super happy with my Sony X900h that I got last fall for just under a grand for the 65". Black levels are damn solid for an LED TV and no worries about image retention.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I just won't buy an OLED. I babysat a plasma for years and my paranoia drove my wife crazy. Now we can enjoy content carefree. I have 145 hours into AC Valhalla and didn't think once about the compass or any other HUD elements. I'd love to get those perfect OLED blacks, but not at the expense of my sanity.

I can totally relate to that. My BX is my first OLED and I got it in June last year but hardly used it until I got my PS5 in December. I was initially worried about burn-in while watching TV/gaming and using it too much, but since then I've Platinumed Spider-Man Remastered and Ghost of Tsushima including some ~8 hour straight sessions and I have no issues so far.

The newer panels seem to be pretty good, plus I also got an extended warranty to 5 years total for peace of mind. After I got over the initial hump of not wanting to use it I'm just using it as normal now and so far so good.

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Are you sure that isn't the rectangle brightness issue lg panels were plagued with and they are replacing every one that has it.

A friend got it on his b7 and it also happened to the replacement after a firmware update.

Both were replaced same day for free by the tech. The whole TV that is not the panel.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Appreciated your honesty OP. Getting an OLED for gaming without a burn in extended warranty seems like a gamble. Having lost an amazing Panasonic Plasma to burn in, this brings back terrible memories.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Appreciated your honesty OP. Getting an OLED for gaming without a burn in extended warranty seems like a gamble. Having lost an amazing Panasonic Plasma to burn in, this brings back terrible memories.
Don't let it scare you off. These things aren't near as susceptible to retention as even the best plasma. I'm all for recommending the set just wanted people to be aware of this particular situation.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard LG support is pretty good even out of warranty. They would rather quietly and professionally replace the small number of panels that get burn-in than have it build to a large number of vocal customers complaining about it, and having that tarnish the brand/tech in the public's mind.

studknckl

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure that isn't the rectangle brightness issue lg panels were plagued with and they are replacing every one that has it.

A friend got it on his b7 and it also happened to the replacement after a firmware update.

Both were replaced same day for free by the tech. The whole TV that is not the panel.

Yes I believe that is the issue. Mine is a B7 also. But the phone support put it down as a burn in issue so it can't hurt for the OP to call support and see what they are willing to do.

Dec 31, 2017
C9 over here, at least 30-35 hours on the game and nothing yet. I don't even think about the burn in no matter the game yet, seems to be a non issue.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I should get this game to see if lg will replace my panel out of warranty. Willing to play panel lottery to get a set that has less noticeable vertical banding in the center of the screen šŸ˜‚

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I have 30 hours into Tetris effect on PS4 pro and xbox series x on my B7 and never saw any sort of retention or burn in.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Weird, I have over 50 hours on PS4 and around 10 on Series X and didn't even have image retention. DukeNukum Do you have HDR enabled in the settings of the game itself? Because if not, the colours are way too oversaturated which could accelerate the wear of the panel.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Weird, I have over 50 hours on PS4 and around 10 on Series X and didn't even have image retention. DukeNukum Do you have HDR enabled in the settings of the game itself? Because if not, the colours are way too oversaturated which could accelerate the wear of the panel.
I do have HDR enabled in the options. Are you playing multiplayer? This is a problem relegated to that due to the left player's yellow frame. The blue frame on the right leaves no retention.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What gameplay frame? If you're talking about the sides of the well you can use the right analog stick to zoom in and out(click to reset). Should be enough to give those pixels a break. I've never had a problem with Tetris effect on my tv. YouTube's control overlay on the other hand...