• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I always found 3D World to feel on the slow side, so this is going to be a huge improvement for me.

Maybe as big of an improvement as the Mario Kart 8 DX which added the 3rd boost and the extra item to hold, those improved MK8 massively and made me a much bigger fan of the game in the process.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting decision. I wonder if the other games are changed at all?

The Mario Sunshine trailer showed Mario using Fludd for platforming sections that normally wouldn't allow it.

Edit: It appears I was wrong, and these can be returned to with Fludd after completion. Thanks for the correction, everyone!

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
It feels like those of us who like slower, more physical games with a stronger sense of player presence embodying a character are an ever shrinking minority. As I mentioned in my post in the other thread, as a lover of Killzone 2, GTA IV, RDR II; changes like this to the game's core game feel in order to target a "broader appeal" are always so frustrating.
So wading around slowly is called physical now? I am not a fan of the porting stuff and love Super Mario 3D World, but this change is excellent. If you want to move slowly, you can just not press Y.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
SM3DW+BF is such a neat abbreviation!
The speed increase made the original feel worse just seeing it. I look forward to playing this again :)

Oct 31, 2017
So wading around slowly is called physical now? I am not a fan of the porting stuff and love Super Mario 3D World, but this change is excellent. If you want to move slowly, you can just not press Y.
This is ridiculous, and you know it. Movement speed does have an affect on the sensation of control and presence within a digital world yes, and yes, I think arbitrarily speeding the game up is not exactly great and will fundamentally change how the game feels to play (and not in a good way).

I think Mario in Odyssey moves faster than 3D World, but he's far less fun to move for me. He feels less a part of the world with less 'physicality', despite having an expanded move set.

I also think Resident Evil 4 is a superior game to most third person shooters, and a big reason why is because it forces you to be stationary while shooting.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like they're putting more care and thought into this Wii U port than into their 35th anniversary collection that we all assumed was going to be their big release for the second half of this year. So weird.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Wish they would have sped up Galaxy 1 as well and added the dive but that's just a basic port. Oh well.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I think Mario in Odyssey moves faster than 3D World, but he's far less fun to move for me. He feels less a part of the world with less 'physicality', despite having an expanded move set.
I just do not understand what you mean by physicality here. Personally, I think the faster and more fluid the better. Resi 4 felt to me like moving a a character that has to carry a bag of potatoes around. But that's not the point, I really do not know what you mean by the term physicality here.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit maybe it will be good now

C'mon, 3D World was an excellent game. I mean I know a lot of people were disappointed back in 2013 that it was a linear 2D/3D hybrid, but it's hard to argue it wasn't excellent for what it was. One of the most critically-acclaimed games of 2013. 93 Metacritic average.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
The slightly different camera angles is also an interesting change.

I was going to buy this game regardless. Fucking loved it on the Wii U. These changes just made me less patient hah

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Between the Mario Odyssey dive+roll, the improved character speeds, the camera fixes, etc., plus having Bowser's Fury on top of that, this seems like one of, if not the, strongest Wii U ports yet.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
C'mon, 3D World was an excellent game. I mean I know a lot of people were disappointed back in 2013 that it was a linear 2D/3D hybrid, but it's hard to argue it wasn't excellent for what it was. One of the most critically-acclaimed games of 2013. 93 Metacritic average.
its a 8/10 game with a Mario tax on it with critics. Its a good and charming game, just not great. Shouldve been bundled with Sunshine and put galaxy 2 on the 3D collection. Mightve saved us some money like the Megaman X Collection did.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how they're handling the segments that required blowing into the microphone. And what about the Captain Toad levels? In the Switch port, 3D World levels were replaced by Galaxy levels. Will Nintendo keep the Captain Toad levels in this version or erase them, or replace them with something else?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This is totally going to break the balance of the game. The secret final level in particular is going to be wayyyy easier.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I could never get into it on Wii U cause I felt Mario controlled poorly. Looks like I'll have to repurchase

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the difference, never felt that the game was too slow. So this will be interesting if Bowser's extra content is good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, this only cements this game as the best Mario-related game announcement today, and by far. When does it release?

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I wonder how this effects the level timer and especially the timer specific challenges.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is pretty lame, but I know 99% of people are going to disagree. The slower physicality is part of why I enjoy 3D World so much.

It feels like those of us who like slower, more physical games with a stronger sense of player presence embodying a character are an ever shrinking minority. As I mentioned in my post in the other thread, as a lover of Killzone 2, GTA IV, RDR II; changes like this to the game's core game feel in order to target a "broader appeal" are always so frustrating.

Don't mean to dunk on you, because changes like this should be given menu options for players who preferred the original, but your last paragraph reads like a copypasta

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think this is pretty lame, but I know 99% of people are going to disagree. The slower physicality is part of why I enjoy 3D World so much.

I totally empathize here, but I do think this specific game is improved by the change.

There are games that nail that feeling of embodiment (Dark Souls is a good example, I like your mention of RE4 also) but then there are games where you find yourself pushing harder on the stick even though it's at full tilt, just because the speed seems wrong somehow.

3D land was very much in the latter category for me. Part of that is absolutely due to the fact that, in general, Mario tends to move on the faster side compared to game characters in general. Another part is the camera...it's zoomed out in such a way that implies a higher rate of movement.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed that this is arguably the best addition to the four 3D Mario games revealed today, my boy Toad gonna be going full turbo now.
Certainly explains why his snippet in the trailer looked faster than I recalled him being.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If they adjusted the game to the changes, it's game changing literally.
If they patched the ice skating infinite speed it's gonna be ironically slower in speedruns.

OT: but I know that LBJ Mario is some kind of speedrun monster but a non LBJ TAS run of Mario 64 is even more mindblowing.
Instead of Back Long Jumping around (LBJ), it's walljumping to incredible speed.
It's glorious in how insane it is.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i never had problems with the running speed in 3D World, hope this doesn't make the game way easier. In Odyssey i felt way too overpowered with all the moves at your disposal

Last edited: